No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Wasn't it 100 millions that he turned down? It's a lot of money. If you think what we usual people get at our work :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If there was even the slightest whiff of news on the offing, that could give the whole community a much needed shot in the arm. There are about 3 or 4 massive decisions that have to be made before the franchise can continue, and sadly they all look like their at least 6 months away. Until then I just feel slightly delated, to be honest.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spectre just came out, I don't know why some are expecting so much news so soon after the last movie released. There's a useful 8 letter word. Patience.
  • RC7RC7
    Its such a sadness. I don't like SF, but I now envy that period (just 4 years ago), when Bond as a franchise seemed so secure and everything looked so positive for the future. Now everything is shattered, the energy is gone, and there is no word on when the franchise will return. I guess we're in that lull, but we have no idea when things will start to look up. Again, such a sadness.

I've called in the violins. Not sure when they'll arrive. I'll be over here trying to hang myself. Kick the chair if I miss.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    dalton wrote: »
    Sadly, as long as MGM is involved with it, the future of the Bond franchise will never be secure.

The future of the Bond franchise need to be secure.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spectre almost made a billion dollars! It is secure! :O
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »

I'm sure he's referring to something Disney related.
    Spectre just came out, I don't know why some are expecting so much news so soon after the last movie released. There's a useful 8 letter word. Patience.

Best post I've read in a while.

There really is no reason for news at this point, especially without a distributor, and the doomsday predictions of them missing out on 2018 are very much premature as well. There's plenty of time to get things going to make it out in 2018, if that is indeed the target release date.

jake24 wrote: »

I'm sure he's referring to something Disney related.

Not the martians again, please not the martians
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I didn't say there was any reason for news. What I'm saying is that there is little we can rely on happening at the moment. Actually think about it. We don't know who will produce B25 (MGW may not be well enough), we don't know who will star, we don't know who will write, director etc. We don't even know who will distribute the f#cking thing.

When was the last time that the franchise was like this, when we couldn't at least assume certain things, like Craig would return and Sony would produce, P&W would write etc.? This isn't just the normal dip that we see between Bonds. I'm quite amazed by the fact that no one seems to have figured this out yet. From the looks of things, people still seem to be assuming that a new Bond film will just materialise out of thin air in 2 and a half years. That just plain isn't going to happen.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I honestly don't know why so many feel "Down", Bond is a hot property
    Top box office material, with a golden future.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I didn't say there was any reason for news. What I'm saying is that there is little we can rely on happening at the moment. Actually think about it. We don't know who will produce B25 (MGW may not be well enough), we don't know who will star, we don't know who will write, director etc. We don't even know who will distribute the f#cking thing.

When was the last time that the franchise was like this, when we couldn't at least assume certain things, like Craig would return and Sony would produce, P&W would write etc.? This isn't just the normal dip that we see between Bonds. I'm quite amazed by the fact that no one seems to have figured this out yet. From the looks of things, people still seem to be assuming that a new Bond film will just materialise out of thin air in 2 and a half years. That just plain isn't going to happen.

To paraphrase what someone else had mentioned in this thread, or another one, there are plenty of Fleming books to re-read and 007 films to re-watch in the interim (and my family, job, life to look after!).
    If we dont get something by the fall the film wont make a 2018 release IMO.
  • RC7RC7

Go and have a pint, or a shag. (Or wank).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    peter wrote: »

To paraphrase what someone else had mentioned in this thread, or another one, there are plenty of Fleming books to re-read and 007 films to re-watch in the interim (and my family, job, life to look after!).

And I'm really enjoying Dynamite's 007 comic series as well.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694

Someone of us just avoid overreacting or having panic attacks over things we have no business being so dramatic about. Mountains out of molehills and all that.

The mysteries we have post SP, aside from the distribution deal, are the same mysteries we always have, folks. I, for one, am amazed that some haven't figured that out yet. The press always drum up BS reports of Dan leaving the role, there's always guess work about who the director and writers will be, and where the series will go next. This is nothing new. Remember the writers' strike during QoS that threatened the production's stability and jeopardized its success, or the massive MGM fiasco that made people think that QoS would be the last Bond film we saw for a long, long time, or forever? Remember when Mendes said, "I'm out," then a year later said, "I'm in," and some majorly freaked out in the interim between those announcements about how the Craig era was crippled and beyond repair? How, pray tell, is this current business anything new? Back then, just as now, people thought the sky was falling, and yet, SP came and here we all are, still breathing. What a wonder it all is, eh?

The Craig era faces a big hurdle between each film, and yet, we still get a new one, don't we? It may take some work, but that's what filmmaking is. It's massive, moving parts, dozens upon dozens of gears that have to mesh together and move in tandem like a well-oiled machine. It takes time and money and energy getting it going, but it always gets started in the end.

In many ways, the Craig era has become a symbol of the Bond franchise as a whole, and what makes it all so special. Like the franchise, the era has faced massive tidal waves that seem to threaten its security and continual success, and yet, like 007 himself, EON always find a way out of their dire straits to a greater fortune later on. We're in the glory days of Bond, people. We've got great directing and acting talent seeking out Bond for roles in production, not the other way around. We've got a Bond actor (yes, Dan is still very much Bond) who has given the character a rebirth and given layers to the man that we haven't seen since Dalton's day. And the films have made billions of dollars, an inarguable success on a consistent critical and financial level.

I think the important thing for everyone to do at this stage, as it has already been said, is to calm down. Bond isn't over, the world is not ending, we are all just fine. EON, despite what some here seem to think, are always working carefully and competently with the franchise's best interests in mind, just like Cubby always did, and nothing will ever change that. Not distribution chaos, not casting rumors, not directing and writing woes. Some make Barbara and Michael out to be mustache twirling villains robbing us of our money and time, which is quite laughable, to say the least. Have they stumbled? Most assuredly, but they've always found their footing again, and without their influence and their upstanding efforts to keep Bond in the family and out of studio control, they have helped Bond to remain one of cinema's most everlasting properties.

Times have passed and things have changed, but largely, Bond is still an anomaly, a film franchise for which there is no equal. To use the label "special" to describe it would be an underwhelming and drastic understatement. These films are event cinema, they draw massive crowds and appeal, and the franchise still, as it always has, gives back to a grand popular culture of adrenaline seekers and story lovers, and feeds full those masses who are always clamoring for more. No other movies out there this side of Star Wars cause such a public fervor, and no other movies have a consistent template they all follow and connect to each other through (themes sung by popular artists, pre-titles, opening sequences), and in the realm of thriller and spy cinema, no matter how many Bournes or Mission Impossibles come around, Bond always wins the day because he helped right the very playbook all these current hits live by. Bond was getting his legs when the spy films of today were nothing more than foggy visions in their creators' minds, minds which he, both consciously and unconsciously influenced through his massive appeal and pervasive cinematic presence.

He's on a throne all his own, folks, and won't ever be usurped, I assure you. In cinema's history books, Bond will always be remembered as an unmatched icon, right up there with the best of them, and he will always remain a vital and vibrant part of whatever cultural milieu he finds himself existing within. As the classic, unflappable and enduring British fashion of which Bond has always been an icon states, we must all just "keep calm and carry on."
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

:((
    Overreact much?
  • peterpeter Toronto

Someone of us just avoid overreacting or having panic attacks over things we have no business being so dramatic about. Mountains out of molehills and all that.

The mysteries we have post SP, aside from the distribution deal, are the same mysteries we always have, folks. I, for one, am amazed that some haven't figured that out yet. The press always drum up BS reports of Dan leaving the role, there's always guess work about who the director and writers will be, and where the series will go next. This is nothing new. Remember the writers' strike during QoS that threatened the production's stability and jeopardized its success, or the massive MGM fiasco that made people think that QoS would be the last Bond film we saw for a long, long time, or forever? Remember when Mendes said, "I'm out," then a year later said, "I'm in," and some majorly freaked out in the interim between those announcements about how the Craig era was crippled and beyond repair? How, pray tell, is this current business anything new? Back then, just as now, people thought the sky was falling, and yet, SP came and here we all are, still breathing. What a wonder it all is, eh?

The Craig era faces a big hurdle between each film, and yet, we still get a new one, don't we? It may take some work, but that's what filmmaking is. It's massive, moving parts, dozens upon dozens of gears that have to mesh together and move in tandem like a well-oiled machine. It takes time and money and energy getting it going, but it always gets started in the end.

In many ways, the Craig era has become a symbol of the Bond franchise as a whole, and what makes it all so special. Like the franchise, the era has faced massive tidal waves that seem to threaten its security and continual success, and yet, like 007 himself, EON always find a way out of their dire straits to a greater fortune later on. We're in the glory days of Bond, people. We've got great directing and acting talent seeking out Bond for roles in production, not the other way around. We've got a Bond actor (yes, Dan is still very much Bond) who has given the character a rebirth and given layers to the man that we haven't seen since Dalton's day. And the films have made billions of dollars, an inarguable success on a consistent critical and financial level.

I think the important thing for everyone to do at this stage, as it has already been said, is to calm down. Bond isn't over, the world is not ending, we are all just fine. EON, despite what some here seem to think, are always working carefully and competently with the franchise's best interests in mind, just like Cubby always did, and nothing will ever change that. Not distribution chaos, not casting rumors, noiful, logical, t directing and writing woes. Some make Barbara and Michael out to be mustache twirling villains robbing us of our money and time, which is quite laughable, to say the least. Have they stumbled? Most assuredly, but they've always found their footing again, and without their influence and their upstanding efforts to keep Bond in the family and out of studio control, they have helped Bond to remain one of cinema's most everlasting properties.

Times have passed and things have changed, but largely, Bond is still an anomaly, a film franchise for which there is no equal. To use the label "special" to describe it would be an underwhelming and drastic understatement. These films are event cinema, they draw massive crowds and appeal, and the franchise still, as it always has, gives back to a grand popular culture of adrenaline seekers and story lovers, and feeds full those masses who are always clamoring for more. No other movies out there this side of Star Wars cause such a public fervor, and no other movies have a consistent template they all follow and connect to each other through (themes sung by popular artists, pre-titles, opening sequences), and in the realm of thriller and spy cinema, no matter how many Bournes or Mission Impossibles come around, Bond always wins the day because he helped right the very playbook all these current hits live by. Bond was getting his legs when the spy films of today were nothing more than foggy visions in their creators' minds, minds which he, both consciously and unconsciously influenced through his massive appeal and pervasive cinematic presence.

He's on a throne all his own, folks, and won't ever be usurped, I assure you. In cinema's history books, Bond will always be remembered as an unmatched icon, right up there with the best of them, and he will always remain a vital and vibrant part of whatever culture milieu he finds himself existing within. As the classic, unflappable and enduring British fashion of which Bond has always been an icon states, we must all just "keep calm and carry on."

Beautiful, logical, SANE words. Thank you, my friend. What an essay. You love the character, the franchise and you have a strong grip on reality.
    P

My reference to its "security" was just that, as long as MGM is involved with it, there's always the potential for some kind of legal issue to come along and delay things and alter the course of the franchise.

Obviously, though, after $2 billion over the last two films, financially everything's on solid footing.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Of course, neither EON nor DC has made any official statement.

Why would they? They're getting free publicity, keeping Bond relevant and in the spotlight, when a new film is still 2 1/2 years away...at best.

I fully expect DC to be back. And that no announcement will be made on this for about a year, leaving all of this stewing to just keep growing.

the-suspense-is.jpg
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 3,000
    James%20Bond%20will%20return_zpsjg9tojla.jpg

There's not much you can do with Google Drawings on a Chromebook, but I gave it a shot.
    I'd put money on Bond 25 being made., I know I'm sticking my neck out here but look
    at a few subtle hints, I've picked up on.
    Bond is the most successful film series ever, it has made billions of dollars, Bond has
    become shorthand for great cinema entertainment. The series has been guided through
    Both good and bad times by the same family, now on its third generation.
    If anything Bond is bigger and healthier than ever, so I can't see where all the doom and gloom is coming from, from some members. They are just pessimists I guess.
    Luckily nothing can bring me down, Bond's future is so bright, we'll all have to wear shades ! :D
    If Statham were to become Bond would they have to dust off one of Connery's old rugs?
    If Statham were to become Bond would they have to dust off one of Connery's old rugs?

Statham will not become Bond.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Amen to that .
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I think we are all fairly certain of this but it is silly season! It's like transfer deadline day.
    I think he and Gillian Anderson will be the new Steed and Mrs Peel :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think he and Gillian Anderson will be the new Steed and Mrs Peel :D
    Confound it, @Thunderpussy! I put all my money on that! :D
    Well Spectre came out 7 months ago, and in the good old days of a Bond movie every 2 years we'd only be 4 or 5 months away from shooting beginning on a follow up.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    vzok wrote: »
    Well Spectre came out 7 months ago, and in the good old days of a Bond movie every 2 years we'd only be 4 or 5 months away from shooting beginning on a follow up.

Oh you shouldn't have...
    ...now I'm crying :((