No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This isn't news. However, these are pretty desperate days and even the tabloids are having to scrap the bottom of the barrel.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3569373/Idris-Elba-Tom-Hiddleston-enjoy-boys-night-George-Lazenby-backs-Luther-actor-James-Bond.html

In other news, how great does Elba look. This guy has got style in abundance.

33BCF52E00000578-0-image-a-34_1462191154847.jpg
    Hiddle has Bond written all over him in that photo imho.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Sorry to say it but Elba is already starting to look too old for Bond. I don't think any actor should start the role with grey hair, personally.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I really don't know what is it that attracts people into thinking Elba is anything like a Bond material person. Apart from his African descent, he doesn't even look the part or behave as such. Why is the association I'll never understand.

Now, for a "black Bond" they should go with an actor who's much like Colin Salmon. He played Charles Robinson much like Bond and he does even behave as sophisticated. I don't see that feature in Elba, so I'll never understand what's the fuss around him about.

But, like most of the fans, my opinion is: don't try to drastically change the character and leave it as it is. Otherwise, just cast a Caucasian actor in the role of John Shaft strictly in a blaxploitation movie. Double standards.
    I agree, Aidan Turner it is. :D
    I agree, Aidan Turner it is. :D
    Aidan Turner for John Shaft?! I'll give my money to that! :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I really don't know what is it that attracts people into thinking Elba is anything like a Bond material person. Apart from his African descent, he doesn't even look the part or behave as such. Why is the association I'll never understand.

Now, for a "black Bond" they should go with an actor who's much like Colin Salmon. He played Charles Robinson much like Bond and he does even behave as sophisticated. I don't see that feature in Elba, so I'll never understand what's the fuss around him about.

But, like most of the fans, my opinion is: don't try to drastically change the character and leave it as it is. Otherwise, just cast a Caucasian actor in the role of John Shaft strictly in a blaxploitation movie. Double standards.

Not that I want Elba as Bond but it's not a coincidence he gets mentioned as a possible Bond.
    Did you see Luthor? The BBC TV-Show. There are also other roles Elba played that showed he could pull it off.

Not that I want Elba as Bond but it's not a coincidence he gets mentioned as a possible Bond.
    Did you see Luthor? The BBC TV-Show. There are also other roles Elba played that showed he could pull it off.
    I did. His accent alone is like Rocky Balboa. I've seen The Gunman as well where he had a small part. It didn't do anything for me. Sorry, he's far from being Bond.
    Elba is extremely charismatic on film, and rugged too. He radiates a Connery like machismo & quiet intensity. Plus, he has the physique. I think that's where the Bond angle comes from.

I keep coming back to Prometheus. Charlize Theron is a super babe, and when her Vickers character basically offers herself to Elba's Janek in the film without much prodding it's quite believable, due to Elba's star power.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sorry to say it but Elba is already starting to look too old for Bond. I don't think any actor should start the role with grey hair, personally.

What hair? You mean the beard?
    Well, Jason Statham is also charismatic and rugged. He was a total sophisticated-wannabe (no, not trying to insult the man) macho in The Transporter trilogy. I still don't see him as Bond. In fact, he and Elba are very much alike.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,113

Well, yes, the beard and the hair. Don't forget, we're probably still another 2.5 years from an announcement. Elba will be 45 by then. And that guy who survived the titanic went grey in like 2 weeks, so it happens.
    @ClarkDevlin, I understand the comparison to Statham, but I find Elba can bring a sophistication & a bit of subtle class to the table when he has to. A bit more Clive Owen (but stronger and larger) than Statham, who I find a little more on the working class thuggish side.

Having said that, I'm not advocating for him. I'm a believer in Bond staying white.

Well, yes, the beard and the hair. Don't forget, we're probably still another 2.5 years from an announcement. Elba will be 45 by then. And that guy who survived the titanic went grey in like 2 weeks, so it happens.

46, actually.

So much for George Lazenby.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Again with Elba?
    beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead41-500x375.jpg
    bondjames wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin, I understand the comparison to Statham, but I find Elba can bring a sophistication & a bit of subtle class to the table when he has to. A bit more Clive Owen (but stronger and larger) than Statham, who I find a little more on the working class thuggish side.

Having said that, I'm not advocating for him. I'm a believer in Bond staying white.
    I don't know, @bondjames. Perhaps there's something I'm yet to see in him. I think Clive Owen could fared well in comparison to Dalton, as both are the same type of actors. Although, Owen can deliver a Connery machismo yet maintaining the standards of a British sophisticate. Elba, so far, has given me the Statham template. He's only classier than the types of Vinnie Jones. Other than that, I'm still where I stand.

And likewise, I prefer if Bond stays white. Changing a character background or ethnicity is not diversity for those who claim it to be. It's a hopeless stunt to attract some attention. Diversity comes with the story when the course of the storytelling is changed and newer angles are introduced in the universe instead of replaying the Groundhog Day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Roger Moore endorsed John McEnroe. Look how that turned out.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,117
    it's quite believable, due to Elba's star power.

I keep hearing this from the seemingly unstoppable Elba propaganda machine that rivals the Kremlin in its heyday but what's he actually been in that justifies the phrase 'star power'?

A few decent performances in TV shows and a handful of supporting roles in films. He's hardly a tent pole name that puts 100m on the gross just because his name is on the poster is he?

And I just found out that he has an OBE for 'services to drama'!?! Is this a wind up? Especially when a quick Google shows that the likes of Ralph Fiennes and Timothy Dalton don't.

Elba's CV is completely average. No he's not plumbing the depths of Steven Toast but nor is he George Clooney so I really don't understand this constant obsession with him in the press. He must have a phenomenal agent is all I can think.
    it's quite believable, due to Elba's star power.

I keep hearing this from the seemingly unstoppable Elba propaganda machine that rivals the Kremlin in its heyday but what's he actually been in that justifies the phrase 'star power'?

A few decent performances in TV shows and a handful of supporting roles in films. He's hardly a tent pole name that puts 100m on the gross just because his name is on the poster is he?

And I just found out that he has an OBE for 'services to drama'!?! Is this a wind up? Especially when a quick Google shows that the likes of Ralph Fiennes and Timothy Dalton don't.

Elba's CV is completely average. No he's not plumbing the depths of Steven Toast but nor is he George Clooney so I really don't understand this constant obsession with him in the press. He must have a phenomenal agent is all I can think.
    I'll admit I'm not familiar with all the press proposing him as James Bond. I read most of that on here, along with the constant sniping that he's not up to the job, probably because the press thing gets tiresome after a while.

I also am not all that familiar with his CV. I've seen Luthor (where he's very credible), Gunman, Thor & Prometheus. I'm also looking forward to Bastille Day.

My point is when I hear of him as a possible candidate, putting aside the obvious issue of skin colour, I can personally see it. He has a certain calm yet confident screen charisma to him that I personally don't think Dalton had for instance.
    Elba is a decent actor but I don't see it either not the color of the skin thing but that he just feels so bland in a lot of things he has done
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    His role in Thor is a background character. All he does is open the portal to Earth, nothing more. :))
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    No to Elba.
    Dalton never lacked anything essential. The same goes for Turner now.
    Well there is that acting thing :P ..Turner looks the part but his acting isn't winning me.

Just my opinion.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Well there is that acting thing :P
    A minor issue surely. ;)
    Pardon me? Turner is a great actor. Sure, he's not Lazenby/Brosnan level but we can't all aim that high.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    You're right he's not and we can't aim that high . It's all in good fun but just my take.
    You're right he's not and we can't aim that high . It's all in good fun but just my take.

I know, I jest. ;)

I know, I jest. ;)

You're a good sport here. :)

• edited May 2016 Posts: 2,115
    For those that missed it some time ago, cartoon from The New Yorker magazine.

daily-cartoon-141224-santa-1200.jpg