No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Was at the red carpet UK premiere of Civil War and it struck me harder than ever at just how abysmal Craig's fit of his suits are. Evans, Downey, Mackie and Render look more Bona-fide in their suits than Craig has for the last 4 years. It's actually embarrassing that James Bond has self-victimised himself in this regard. It needs to change.

Absolutely.

There's quite a big list of stuff they need to fix but Bond wearing suits that look like they've been shrunk in the wash certainly belongs on it.

I imagine they had to do about 6 takes of the moment when he lands on the sofa in the SP PTS as he kept bursting the buttons on his jacket.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I imagine they had to do about 6 takes of the moment when he lands on the sofa in the SP PTS as he kept bursting the buttons on his jacket.
    Good one! =))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @TheWizardOfIce, I've joked about the same bit in SP's PTS: it looks like if Craig exhaled for just one second, the suit was getting ruined.

At least we now know where the $300 million budget was spent.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    dalton wrote: »

At least we now know where the $300 million budget was spent.

300 million buttons.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    hmmm....you all underestimate Tom Ford's genius....

I do own suits that are tight fit as well, that's fashion at the moment people.
    If you have the body for it, it looks good. And even if they are tight, no buttons burst.

Craig has never looked better than in Spectre. The clothes he is wearing are spectacularly beautiful [-(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I thought his SP clothes looked much better than in SF.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That's fashion, Jason. And Bond is no fashionista. :))
    Murdock wrote: »
    I thought his SP clothes looked much better than in SF.

I would tend to agree, but that's a small bar to clear and the SP look just barely cleared it.

He didn't look good in either film, though.
    Is it fashionable to be in the tighest suit possible when you're performing parkour moves and are attempting to run at top speed? No. Bond's a secret agent, not a fashion model.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 5,185
    I watched a Sam mendes Interview where He told a story that when he started on Skyfall, the Istanbul scene i believe, one day he saw a whole truck with wardrobe arriving and thought to himself "ok that must be for all the actors", but in reality it was just a truck full with Craigs Tom Ford suits because they were constantly ripping and He had to change them sometimes for every take.

I personally don't mind the tight suits, if you have the muscles to Show for, but practical it certainly isn't
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bond's a secret agent, not a fashion model.

But he probably Sees himself as one
    Is it fashionable to be in the tighest suit possible when you're performing parkour moves and are attempting to run at top speed? No. Bond's a secret agent, not a fashion model.

Seriously. I've never gotten all this complaining about Craig's suits. He's played Bond as a vicious killer, not a fashion icon.
    Practicality most certainly plays a part. Doesn't matter how good or urbane Bond looks, there is no sense behind a secret agent wearing the tightest suit possible when he's bound to get into a fight, a chase, or any activity involving physicality and requiring lots of swift movement that those Tom Ford suits of late do not offer.
    Bond should always be timelessly cool. Never hip or trendy. Although Craig's suit fall a bit into the current trend of too tight, his clothes are classic for the most part. Same with his haircut in SP. I do think his suits looked the best in CR and QoS, though.
    SF's clothes will probably date the film the worst. Much in the way Tim's baggy suits sans tie date LTK. Pierce looked fairly timeless in all his films -although you don't see many people sporting his GoldenEye hair these days. I can say I certainly prefer his overcoats to Craig's. I love the navy coat he wears at the St Petersburg airport.
    Of course Fleming's Bond often always wore a single breast navy suit over a short sleeve shirt. I'm sure his suits were cut in 50s fashion.
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Seriously. I've never gotten all this complaining about Craig's suits. He's played Bond as a vicious killer, not a fashion icon.

One of the things that makes Bond unique is the fact that he's a man of action while also a man with very sophisticated tastes. This is part of the formula that cannot be altered.

One of the things that makes Bond unique is the fact that he's a man of action while also a man with very sophisticated tastes. This is part of the formula that cannot be altered.

Very sophisticated tastes aren't limited to overly tight suits. There is an eclectic range of stylish clothes for him to wear, without them looking ridiculous.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    No News=Fashion Talk.

This is gonna be a long year or so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No News=Fashion Talk.

This is gonna be a long year or so.

There is a separate thread for that, folks.

Very sophisticated tastes aren't limited to overly tight suits. There is an eclectic range of stylish clothes for him to wear, without them looking ridiculous.

But you said he's not a fashion icon implying that being so is incompatible with being a "vicious killer." Fact is, 007 IS a fashion icon whether you like it or not.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    If people want their Bond in those constricting suits that are all the rage these days, and which Craig has sported in the last two outings, then so be it.

I personally don't, and I prefer something more timelessly classic. There's no accounting for tastes, but some looks stand the test of time, and other don't. The baggy looks from the 70's were an attempt to be a bit different, as were the big shoulder pads of the 80's. Neither are looked on all that favourably now & I suspect that the tight look will go the same way eventually.

Fine tailoring implies good fit & excellent materials first and foremost. For a spy, it shouldn't be too ostentatious either I would think, but be more under the radar (colours as well as style). Just my opinion.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,534
    I mean the character himself. Perhaps it's only me that doesn't see any logic in wearing a suit that is obviously way too tight when you're a secret agent.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I mean the character himself. Perhaps it's only me that doesn't see any logic in wearing a suit that is obviously way too tight when you're a secret agent.

I hate wearing ties ...I do but under duress ...much less a tight fitting suit.

Agreed. It makes very little sense. Both from a narrative perspective as well as a budgetary perspective. I'd have to imagine that those tighter suits tend to rip more during the action sequences than the more loose-fitting ones do.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Slightly off topic, I posted this in the fan arts thread, but here is a Bond 25 teaser trailer I made using clips from various films and commercials:

jake24 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, I posted this in the fan arts thread, but here is a Bond 25 teaser trailer I made using clips from various films and commercials:

I would watch that :)

Nicely done!
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    About what about if Bond 25 gets a Martian War story if EON agreed, i've made a trailer of that using clips from the 2013 documentary 'The Great Martian War:

I've also made a modified poster for the next installment like this:
    ChFhj9-W0AA9u3A.jpg:large
    About what about if Bond 25 gets a Martian War story if EON agreed, i've made a trailer of that using clips from the 2013 documentary 'The Great Martian War:

I've also made a modified poster for the next installment like this:
    ChFhj9-W0AA9u3A.jpg:large

John Titor.
    I have a feeling the next one will delve into Bonds past again, maybe as a young adult or when training pre MI6/00. They will have to tie that somehow into the plot of the movie though. Was just an idea that hit me.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,631
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    John Titor.

I think they should save him for the sequel.