Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Robin/Nightwing thing in BvS is not well thought out if at all.
    One more detail that's annoying about BvS.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote: »
    That book would be so fascinating to me if I actually liked the vision Snyder has for this universe.

By the way, Robin's main weapon was a freaking sythe/axe love child?! So, this Batman was okay with killing long before Jason bit it, then? What does that say for any of his motivations, then?

Did we see Robin kill no ....

Like I said I am fine with a more Bondian Batman

Pray tell, @Risico007, why would a man carry around a giant blade weapon if he wasn't going to absolutely dice the hell out of people with it? It's impossible not to kill people when waving that sucker around. The simple fact that Bruce allowed such a weapon to be used, long before Jason met his end, tells us that he was fine with killing even before that mess with Joker. This not only goes against the precious comics Snyder pretends to swear by, but also continues to poke holes in the weak and opaque motivations of his Batman, who we still haven't gotten proper explanations about. If Jason's death isn't the driving force of his ramped up violence, what is? It worries me that he just enjoys it at this point.

And, as others have said, Bruce is far removed from Bond, in a vast many ways. Unfortunately for us, I don't think Snyder realizes this yet.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Not to rub salt into the wounds but BvS, on its fourth Monday made less than "flavour of the week" Ant-Man did on its fifth; and Ant-Man opened $109 million less than BvS.

BoxOffice
    @BoxOffice
    BATMAN V SUPERMAN took in $0.65M on Monday; North American total stands at $311.98M #BatmanVSuperman

Wow...

@doubleoego, "flavor of the week?" Is that what Snyder called Ant-Man?
    Yep.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    As a Superman fan, this is sad. It really felt Batman overshadowed him throughout the whole film.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Just got back from viewing number three- this time with my dad & brother in law. The theatre was still far from empty and they both enjoyed it a great deal (neither of them are big into comics- at least not like me). The scene with The Flash was the only part that left them scratching their heads.

Me: I still love it a great deal and that bit with Batman fighting in the warehouse near the end still has me giddy.
    An added bonus is that I finally made it through the whole movie without running to the restroom, lol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BATMAN V SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE obviously is a very polarising film. I read a lot of disappointment yet there's also some love for the film. Fact is that in under 4 weeks the film cleared 830 million, which is enough money to safely assume that it must be doing something right.

Some people, however, maintain that it's a failure of a film, trusting the possibly correct - I don't know - claims made by some source on the Internet that the film has to hit outrageously high numbers to be a success. Perhaps WB management did screw up at some point and had no alternative but to go over budget. Then so be it. The problem for me is that some folks here use those numbers as an argument against the film, which is poor reasoning, people! "Look, see how bad a film BATMAN V SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE is because it's made almost as much money as SPECTRE in less than one fifth of the time but that money is barely enough to break even because they went nuts at Warner's and pushed the expenses way too far?!" Point is, it's the single most grossing Superman film ever and it's the third most grossing Batman film ever, behind the box office freaks THE DARK KNIGHT and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

Now we have posts like "hey, look, another week has passed and so-and-so is doing a lot better at the box office than BATMAN V SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE; this movie is a total disaster!" Nonsense. It isn't. But of course if I sat behind my computer every day, arms folded, checking out boxofficemojo, ready to slam a film of my choosing, I'm sure I could find several negatives to back up my criticism. Remember The Force Awakens? It went over 2 billion dollars ... but it didn't beat Avatar so, uhm, 'stinkerrrrr!'.

Of course box office results are the only source of criticism left. For arguing that this superhero film is all about style and not about substance is like saying that Duke Nukem 3D was a terrible video game because it failed to come with a peace message from Ghandi. And saying that "this is not MY Batman / Superman, therefore this is not a good film" is a sign that some people don't know how major superhero comic books work.

I'm not here to make a case for BATMAN V SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE being the greatest superhero film ever for I too have some complaints. But they are minor enough to be easily countered by a few pretty impressive positives the film gave me. I'm always willing to talk about the film itself, what we all think the film did right or wrong. But I've grown a little tired of these box office related arguments which make absolutely no sense any more in the context of the 830 million already pulled from our wallets. If WB spent too much money on this film, then fine, we can't give it back to them just yet. But that's not - repeat, NOT - a valid argument against the finished film.
    Good points Darth! I'd love to discuss the movie itself on this board! There are a lot of good guys and gals here whose opinions I respect and talking film is like my favorite thing!!
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Look, facts are facts. BvS had no competition for weeks and then even had the easter holiday break on its side. The biggest giveaway was it's second week drop. Simply saying, "well it's made 800million worldwide" only goes to show a lack of understanding of not only how this works but a complete disregard in putting things into perspective. 800million is ridiculously huge when you look at tge figure eith fsce value and without context but factor in the advantages tgat accompanied the movie and then ask how does a big and hugely hyped movie with the novelty factor of featuring batman, superman and wonder woman for the first time; coupled with the absence of any competition and has a release period during a holiday break make as little as it has?

Obviously the movie has its supporters, much like any film does. Many people can't understand what's so damn special about the Bond movies but we just have to accept people like what they like and don't like and for most BvS was a terrible movie, terribly made and had woefully underperformed. The FACT that the movie sans ancillaries hasn't even broken-even just goes to show how misjudged and mismanaged this movie was handled. Most things in life can make money but a movie of this nature isn't just to generate revenue and its not even to just about make a profit but to make a sizeable profit that justifies the investment of resources into making the movie in the first place.

$311 million domestic??? After how many weeks??? Civil War is tracking at $200million+ on its opening weekend!!

Facts are facts and the numbers advocate those facts with crystal clarity. For a movie that's supposed to officially set the ground work to set up its own movie universe, this thing is a certified dud.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Yes, the money BvS made is a lot. But let's be realistic. Everybody involved in the project did expect way over 1 billion BO. Otherwise Warner/DC wouldn't have spent that much money for the movie.
    So in that regard it is a failure.

Artistically BvS can be debated. Snyder's style has been well known for a long time now. It was clear from the beginning how BvS would look.

Style over substance, yes, with Snyder you get that. He did do some great work, BvS doesn't belong to it.

Nonetheless at the end of the day BvS is a comic book movie that can be regarded as flawed and maybe even mediocre. The user ratings on RT and Imdb are between 69 and 72% which sounds right to me.

The reason for the widespread negativity is the disappointment the movie brought to so many. Once some time has passed, the disappointment goes away and you accept the movie like it is, what else can you do.

Personally I am glad there is another Batman movie and more to come, Batfleck alone makes BvS worthwile, Wonder Woman/Diana Prince is the icing on the cake.
    The Supes stuff though is probably another coffin nail to the Superman franchise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Supes stuff though is probably another coffin nail to the Superman franchise.
    I agree. Superman generally has been a dud to me. I realize many think highly of the 1979 film but it didn't do much for me outside the excellent (for their time) special effects.

There's something about the character's god like omnipotence combined with squeaky clean image that is just dull to me. In a way, I'm not surprised that even a flawed Batman stole the show in BvS. How else could it have really gone, if you think about it. Batman is just so much more complex as a character.
    ---

Regarding BvS being a box office failure - only in respect to the 'suits' overestimating its potential and supposedly overbudgeting it imho. I don't think its box office is all that bad realistically speaking. It has done far better than MoS even on an inflation adjusted basis. Even more notable is its foreign gross, which has decimated the previous film (+37%) even with a stronger US $, which if taken into account would have shown it to be even stronger. SP for example made 20% less overall than SF and 35% less in the US, so it's important to put things in perspective.

Having said that, box office is not the 'be all and end all' and I'm certain it could have done better with a few tweaks and better press.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    Superman generally has been a dud to me. I realize many think highly of the 1979 film but it didn't do much for me outside the excellent (for their time) special effects.
    There's something about the character's god like omnipotence combined with squeaky clean image that is just dull to me.
    I generally agree to this. Growing up I used to buy Superman comics and while I enjoyed them I never fully embraced the character like I did Batman or Spider-man. Chris Reeve's first two changed that. Donner/Reeve/Mankiewicz changed that by making the man himself (not the demi-God) interesting.
    That's THE ONLY way to go with such a character. And only THEY went there IMHO.
    This is the Superman we deserve:

supermanrooftop.jpg

v8RgTR8.jpg

Not this:

mad_superman_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg

f6sgk.jpg

567ef66439f22bfd05d850ecc1927a90

It's such a shame too, because in MoS Henry showed that he could be the perfect Superman, and they don't give him a damn thing to do in this film. He mopes around, never smiles, never gets a chance to show the public that he's a good man and worthy of their trust. Why does BvS go out of its way to try and make him seem bad on the level of Luthor?

Henry plays Superman's innocence and incorruptibility in MoS so well, and that character is completely absent in BvS, for whatever reason, with a poor imitation in his place. Where are the moments like in the comic page above where Superman saves a person from committing suicide, devoting all his time and energy on one suffering person in a world full of pain? Why can't we ever see that?
    @Brady
    Because Snyder subconsciously despises Supes or he simply doesn't get the character!
  • RC7RC7
    The general impression I got from BvS was that Clark was the driving force of the character even when he's suited up. He's under constant persecution, tired of the constant battles and only finding solace in his private life with Lois. I didn't mind that as a narrative. I've seen Superman as boy scout and I'm sure I will again. The night is darkest just before the dawn. Therefore I feel like the tonal shift will be into a lighter, less morose world post BvS and Supes will be firing on all cylinders. I don't have a problem with it, largely speaking.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    It's such a shame too, because in MoS Henry showed that he could be the perfect Superman, and they don't give him a damn thing to do in this film. He mopes around, never smiles, never gets a chance to show the public that he's a good man and worthy of their trust. Why does BvS go out of its way to try and make him seem bad on the level of Luthor?
    This. Like @BondJasonBond006 and some others have said, it feels like Snyder doesn't understand the character and thus doesn't know how to use him. I feel he needs to learn from Marvel's use of Captain America. Again an old fashion, boy scout character, that probably would be hard to make it work now a days, but they found a way to do it, and he's awesome. Focus on who the man is and what he's about.

The following pretty much summed up my feelings and some of the issues I had with the film.

edited April 2016 Posts: 28,694
    RC7 wrote: »
    The general impression I got from BvS was that Clark was the driving force of the character even when he's suited up. He's under constant persecution, tired of the constant battles and only finding solace in his private life with Lois. I didn't mind that as a narrative. I've seen Superman as boy scout and I'm sure I will again. The night is darkest just before the dawn. Therefore I feel like the tonal shift will be into a lighter, less morose world post BvS and Supes will be firing on all cylinders. I don't have a problem with it, largely speaking.

Snyder keeps trying to make the same excuse, that Cavill's Superman isn't the one we know and love yet, but that in later films, he'll develop to fit that role. Why we must wait this long, as the DCEU crumbles before us, I will never know.

The funny thing is that this Superman was closer to the one of the comics in MoS than he ever was in BvS, almost to the point that he's essentially a different character. So, as much as Snyder likes to make it look like this Superman is progressing into being the beacon of light and hope that we all know and love, that isn't the case when you really analyze his development film to film. BvS is a massive regression in every way. In MoS Superman is light, caring, innocent, determined and strong in the face of the opposition of the entire world. In BvS he cracks to public pressure, allows himself to be smeared and broken by Luthor, and openly labels himself as a bad guy. Yeah, I'm sure Jor would be through the roof proud with him son there. Christ almighty. And now, Snyder is setting up Injustice as future DCEU story, which is a major arc where Superman is THE BAD GUY. Why the hell does this man never want to give us the good natured Superman of the comics we've always wanted to see?!

I just want Superman to be portrayed as what he has always been portrayed as: a good guy that doesn't let his values get corrupted by the likes of Luthor. That is not what we have in BvS, I'm sorry. A Superman that isn't a boy scout isn't Superman at all, and the defense that characters go through tonal changes all the time doesn't really stand up here, because that is an indispensable part of who he is as a character, and always has been.

I rest my case.
  • RC7RC7

Snyder keeps trying to make the same excuse, that Cavill's Superman isn't the one we know and love yet, but that in later films, he'll develop to fit that role. Why we must wait this long, as the DCEU crumbles before us, I will never know.

The funny thing is that this Superman was closer to the one of the comics in MoS than he ever was in BvS, almost to the point that he's essentially a different character. So, as much as Snyder likes to make it look like this Superman is progressing into being the beacon of light and hope that we all know and love, that isn't the case when you really analyze his development film to film. BvS is a massive regression in every way. In MoS Superman is light, caring, innocent, determined and strong in the face of the opposition of the entire world. In BvS he cracks to public pressure, allows himself to be smeared and broken by Luthor, and openly labels himself as a bad guy. Yeah, I'm sure Jor would be through the roof proud with him son there. Christ almighty. And now, Snyder is setting up Injustice as future DCEU story, which is a major arc where Superman is THE BAD GUY. Why the hell does this man never want to give us the good natured Superman of the comics we've always wanted to see?!

I just want Superman to be portrayed as what he has always been portrayed as: a good guy that doesn't let his values get corrupted by the likes of Luthor. That is not what we have in BvS, I'm sorry. A Superman that isn't a boy scout isn't Superman at all, and the defense that characters go through tonal changes all the time doesn't really stand up here, because that is an indispensable part of who he is as a character, and always has been.

I rest my case.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I also understand the logic of what they attempted to do. I think you have to take into account that while you, I and others have read various Superman comics over the years, a lot of the general public don't really care about him as character. The idea of an incorruptible, selfless deity doesn't offer much in the way of drama or conflict, which is why the modern films have all struggled to break through. It's not just coincidence. I'm not saying that they executed their concept perfectly in BvS, but I thought there was something interesting in there.

I rest my case.

This. Well said
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The tech manual reveals that Robin dabbled in murdering the bad guys, too:

http://www.slashfilm.com/batman-v-superman-robin-weapon/
    Wow, did one of my multiple personalities write that article when I wasn't looking? It matches perfectly the discussion we all had just days ago.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The more I hear about this film the more I think what a complete turkey it must be! I'm almost of a mind to go watch it, just to see if it makes me as angry as I think it will. But I don't want to put any money the way of ZS, having sat through Man of Shite was enough for me.
    Sigh movie batman has always been a killer sorry Nolan's roundabout nonesense about "I don't have to save you" is garbage he could of grabbed ra'z al ghul out of that train he could of found a way to not snap dents neck etc and besides maybe Jason Todd's Robin used lethal weapons in a non lesthal way similar to what he does now as red hood he has guns and uses them to shoot people but as batman said in a team up comic "shoot only arms and legs" to which case Todd replied "nothing but" and yet we don't go around screaming about The Red Hood having guns? Again for me Affleck and Irons are the best parts of the film in fact I can safely say if it was s solo batman film wih those two taking on KGBeast and batman trying to find the white Portuguese etc and the film ended with the meeting of Kent and Bruce the film would of made a billion... Actually no matter what DC wouldn't of made a billion but whatever...
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Sigh movie batman has always been a killer sorry Nolan's roundabout nonesense about "I don't have to save you" is garbage he could of grabbed ra'z al ghul out of that train he could of found a way to not snap dents neck etc and besides maybe Jason Todd's Robin used lethal weapons in a non lesthal way similar to what he does now as red hood he has guns and uses them to shoot people but as batman said in a team up comic "shoot only arms and legs" to which case Todd replied "nothing but" and yet we don't go around screaming about The Red Hood having guns? Again for me Affleck and Irons are the best parts of the film in fact I can safely say if it was s solo batman film wih those two taking on KGBeast and batman trying to find the white Portuguese etc and the film ended with the meeting of Kent and Bruce the film would of made a billion... Actually no matter what DC wouldn't of made a billion but whatever...

Why is Jason Todd the Robin of BvS. I don't see any evidence of that.

Furthermore neither Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney or Bale ever got depicted as ice-cold killers. Batfleck on the other hand is. That has nothing to do with comic reality just with the way it comes across the screen.
    Snyder ruined Supes character, he really tried hard to ruin Batman as well, luckily he just scratched Batman, nothing serious that can't be undone by Affleck for his solo Batfleck movie.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,614
    But if Batman has killed people in the comics plenty of times before, and this is a "first" for the big screen version of the character, why is it still overly shocking to some? Have people just grown accustomed to how he was portrayed through television/film and so they weren't ready to eventually see Batman kill a few people in a movie?

This is where the disconnect begins, where I don't see the "big deal" in it because I don't read comic books at all. I've seen arguments made that people hate Batman killing because it's not him/not the character they grew up with, but if that's the case, aren't there technically numerous different "versions" of Batman, then, and this is just one of them? I just think if Batman was executing the mentally handicapped in comic books nearly 80 years ago, how is it so shocking in film now?
    This old argument again, sheesh.

The issue with Batman killing is exactly as @BondJasonBond006 explains it; how we've all explained it time and time again, yet somehow people still don't get it.

Comparing Nolan's Batman to Ben Affleck's Batman is beyond an insult, for starters. Bale's Batman always went into every scenario doing his best to ensure everyone was safe, even the most disgusting criminals. Affleck's Batman, however, has no regard for that sort of thing and napalm bombs the hell out of people, runs them over with his batmobile, stabs them in the chest, and on and on and on, with nary a consequence or regret. When people die in Nolan's films, it's because of the tragic nature of Batman's job to protect his city and that he can't save everyone, even when his hands don't get bloodied. In the case of Affleck's Batman, people die just 'cause; this Batman could take everyone out non-lethally, yet he decides simply not to. At times, he really appears to enjoy it, too.

Has Batman killed in the comics before? Of course, most namely Kane's horrific early years where Batman is essentially a hypocritical gun-toting monster with a cape (he even had the horns!). It's no big news around here how much I hate that initial vision of the character, but I accept that it existed and that the World War II era of comics needed a reactionary hero who shot first and asked questions later; why that person had to be Batman, I'll never know.

Around the 70s, however, a new interpretation of the Batman character came, one that added weight to the man and gave him principles that made sense; gave him actual depth. A man whose parents were gunned down in front of him no longer shot people with a gun, because, that would be stupid. Batman developed a sense of strong morality and steeled values that he only rescinded as a last resort. He hated the idea of killing, of using guns, the whole nine. Over time, Alfred was the only person who he allowed to so much as carry a gun. This was the way Batman has been for 40 years, half of his history in the comics, folks.

When Batman does have to kill, it's always a tragic choice and one he always regrets and feels unbelievably crushed by. He understands the value of human life and doesn't stomach crossing the lines that those like Joker so willfully skip over. When Batman kills, if he ever does, he should never enjoy it, nor should he be so militaristic and explosion-happy as Affleck's Batman is. Every kill should tarnish his soul even more, not give him adrenaline. For Christ's sake, Frank Castle is not Batman.

I can accept different versions of a character, but this Batman and his new rules weren't properly set up, and the information we've got about Robin's weapon only continues to support the idea that Jason's death didn't make him start killing and that Snyder has well and truly lost the plot.

The true tragedy in all this is just how much lost potential we have laying in ruin from this film. A ruin that makes Metropolis at the end of MoS look like a minor disaster.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,614
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there's no need to throw an attitude my way because I don't understand comic books like you and others do. I just think people are taking this way too seriously. Batman has killed in the comic books in the 40's, the 80's, and upwards of in the last ten years, so are they simply versions of the character you all don't agree with, either, or is it just the lack of remorse shown in Snyder's version that you were unhappy about? Quick Google searches lead me to comic strips where he kills someone and seems to show absolutely no remorse or woe over it. Just confusion, is all, no need to get mad at me because I don't have the connection you all do. Obviously, that's why I don't see it as a big deal while plenty of others do: I didn't grow up with a vision or an idea of what Batman is or should be when I was a kid.

I will say, though, that if there needed to be a "reason" for Batman to kill, the death of Robin would be a damn good one, coupled with the fact that this Batman is much older and more grizzled and has had a lot more weigh in on than, say, younger versions of the character. Seems with the Tech Manual link I posted yesterday that they ruined that opportunity, sadly.

To those that don't like the killing, I'd suggest you tweak expectations for the solo 'Batman' installment, because if after all this time Batman IS a killer in BvS, you can be damn sure he'll be one in that, too.
    Aside from the other Keaton kills already mentioned, I haven't heard the remote control Batmobile at Axis Chemical scene mentioned yet! I think that was his highest body count right there, lol!
    What was that- ten guys at least standing right there who got blown up?
    Hardly necessary but badass nevertheless!

I think the worst thing Batfleck did was kick that hanging man into the other man about to toss the grenade (and the assorted car related shenanigans)

0Brady, have you had a chance to give it a second viewing? I'd bed you might like it more for round 2! ;)