Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Batfleck forever :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hope Affleck will get (atleast) 2 solo Batman films, so he can join Keaton's and Bale's group of actors who portrayed Batman multiple times.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I've got the title already: "Batman Redemption"

I'm just waiting for this one to get 95-99% on RT and be seen as the 'comeback kid' of film making. The narrative is so predictable, even if it may deserve it.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    @Shark_Of_Largo, what did your daughter think of the film? My mother tagged along with me to see it and had to face head-on my incessant whining afterwards. Glad to see you didn't make your girl face the same tidal wave of emotion.

My daughter really enjoyed it, she's kinda geeky like myself and she has similar interests to me (Bond, however, is a slow burn, haha). She was most up for Wonder Woman and her face lit up every time WW was on screen. Great stuff.

bondjames wrote: »

I'm just waiting for this one to get 95-99% on RT and be seen as the 'comeback kid' of film making. The narrative is so predictable, even if it may deserve it.

I'm not so sure about that.

Affleck still is very much debated. Furthermore the expectations on Batfleck are very, very high. He is supposed to "save" the DC franchise. Critics and audiences will judge very hard, once the film arrives.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm not so sure about that.

Affleck still is very much debated. Furthermore the expectations on Batfleck are very, very high. He is supposed to "save" the DC franchise. Critics and audiences will judge very hard, once the film arrives.
    All true, but the narrative is set. He will be the saviour of Batman. Very few, if any criticisms are directed at Affleck himself, and he is a 'Hollywood darling'. The predictability of it is what is underwhelming.
    I actually like Batman Redemption a lot better then Batman under the red hood though I think with Affleck's writing and Johns Comic book knowledge we could have another dark knight trilogy on our hands though I fear the first film might be with the joker which I have to take solace in the fact that in Affleck's first appearance he did take on KGBeast at least so that is different
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hope Affleck will get (atleast) 2 solo Batman films, so he can join Keaton's and Bale's group of actors who portrayed Batman multiple times.

@DaltonCraig007, trust me, DC and Warner know Batman and Ben are one of the only safe bets going forward, so we'll see a lot of him very, very soon.
    @Shark_Of_Largo, what did your daughter think of the film? My mother tagged along with me to see it and had to face head-on my incessant whining afterwards. Glad to see you didn't make your girl face the same tidal wave of emotion.

My daughter really enjoyed it, she's kinda geeky like myself and she has similar interests to me (Bond, however, is a slow burn, haha). She was most up for Wonder Woman and her face lit up every time WW was on screen. Great stuff.

@Shark_Of_Largo, I enjoyed Wonder Woman as well, by far one of the more positive aspects of the film for me. I think they got her character just right, and showed off her sexiness, mystery, smarts and strength beautifully in the small time Gal had.

The moment that sealed her in the role for me, as well as how her character was being used, was when Doomsday absolutely knocks her out of the way in the final battle, and as she picks herself back up from the ground, she gives off the brightest smile I've ever seen, like she was saying to him, "come on, is that all you've got?" Total Diana, a prideful and fierce warrior through and through.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Anybody a fan of Nostalgia Critic and/or Angry Joe? They did this nice collab review of Man of Steel a while back, and now they are doing it again with BvS!

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hilarious.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Deadline go over the numbers to make things crystal clear...

"We’ve always heard that $800M internally is the happy number for Warner Bros executives. Yes, BvS will turn a profit after ancillaries are counted. However, theatrically, BvS is still in the red. Per our film finance sources, BvS has to hit $925M to profit theatrically after a $250M production cost and worldwide P&A of $165M. Currently, estimated rentals for BvS are $25M out of China, $166M U.S./Canada, and $200.2M from foreign. All together that equals $391.2M in rentals for BvS to its total global $415M spend, so $23.8M to go before theatrical break-even."

http://deadline.com/2016/04/batman-v...ds-1201738083/
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I'm surprised about the amount of backlash this film has received. It's far from perfect, but it certainly isn't the worst superhero movie ever.

Doom and gloom is not something the majority of the audience wants to see in a superhero film, but I, not being a huge superhero fan, find it interesting to see something different than the usual black and white approach to morality. The ethics was already a theme in Nolan's terrific Batman films, but it was never done seriously with Superman. BvS certainly has an ethical dimension, in a nutshell it's deontology vs. consequentialism.

That said, the film has many shortcomings, and I really didn't like that monster stuff in the end.
    Oh yes it is one of the worst superhero movies ever. At least since the 00's.

I even would rank Batman & Robin higher. At least that one did what it was supposed to do, being silly, camp and totally OTT. Thurman & Arnie alone put "performances" like Eisenberg's or Cavill's to shame.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    If silliness is the parameter, then yes, Batman & Robin is the superior film.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited April 2016 Posts: 543
    I don't think it's the worst, it just a disappointment. Superman IV and Supergirl, those are utterly horrible. This film could have been so much better! I'm going to see it again tonight with my relatives who like comic book films, and see what their reactions are. Also gives me the chance to see it with a different perspective from a few weeks ago and see if anything changes (probably not!).

Reading all of the praise for Captain America: Civil War. I almost wish the Russo brothers would come over to DC and make a decent film!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,678

That is outrageous, @BondJasonBond006!

Much worse IMO:
    - Daredevil
    - Electra
    - Fantastic Four (all three of them)
    - Hulk
    - The Incredible Hulk
    - Spider-Man 3
    - The Punisher (2004)
    - X-Men Origins
    - Catwoman
  • RC7RC7
    Deadline go over the numbers to make things crystal clear...

"We’ve always heard that $800M internally is the happy number for Warner Bros executives. Yes, BvS will turn a profit after ancillaries are counted. However, theatrically, BvS is still in the red. Per our film finance sources, BvS has to hit $925M to profit theatrically after a $250M production cost and worldwide P&A of $165M. Currently, estimated rentals for BvS are $25M out of China, $166M U.S./Canada, and $200.2M from foreign. All together that equals $391.2M in rentals for BvS to its total global $415M spend, so $23.8M to go before theatrical break-even."

http://deadline.com/2016/04/batman-v...ds-1201738083/

Supes shagged @doubleoego's family. The whole family. The boy's quick.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Best superhero movie of the 2000's: 'Unbreakable.'
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Of the 2000's:
    The Wolverine
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Punisher: Warzone
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Spider Man 2
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I am absolutely there, 100%. New found love for you @Creasy47
    @MajorDSmythe, I remember just one thing from 'War Zone,' and that was someone getting shot point blank in the face with a shotgun, if I'm remembering it correctly, with their head disappearing entirely after from the blast.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Much worse IMO:
    - Daredevil
    - Electra
    - Hulk
    - The Incredible Hulk
    - Spider-Man 3
    Agree 100%

RC7 wrote: »

I am absolutely there, 100%. New found love for you @Creasy47

Happy to hear!! It's an unexpected choice, but damn, is that a very solid superhero movie. Fantastic.

Much worse IMO:
    - Daredevil
    - Electra
    - Hulk
    - The Incredible Hulk
    - Spider-Man 3
    - The Punisher (2004)
    - X-Men Origins
    - Catwoman

I like Ang Lee's Hulk. And Spider-Man 3 as well. The rest I agree.

Much worse IMO:
    - Daredevil
    - Electra
    - Hulk
    - The Incredible Hulk
    - Spider-Man 3
    - The Punisher (2004)
    - X-Men Origins
    - Catwoman

I like Ang Lee's Hulk. And Spider-Man 3 as well. The rest I agree.

As bad as some of those are, I wouldn't have left the theater feeling like my inner kid had died. With BvS, on the other hand...
    Official Killing Joke will be rated R, we all knew this would be the case though official announcement certainly ramps up excitement for this movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2016 Posts: 17,698

Much worse IMO:
    - Daredevil
    - Electra
    - Hulk
    - The Incredible Hulk
    - Spider-Man 3
    - The Punisher (2004)
    - X-Men Origins
    - Catwoman
    - Daredevil The Director's cut was dark & excellent IMO.
    - Electra Flawed but oh so watchable!
    - Fantastic Four (all three of them) Jessica & Chris made the first two so much fun.
    - Hulk Yeah, pretty bad.
    - The Incredible Hulk Near perfect Hulk movie!
    - Spider-Man 3 Over-loaded, but never boring. Toby rocked!
    - The Punisher (2004) *meh*
    - X-Men Origins Not a total waste of time, but severely lacking.
    - Catwoman Total waste of time.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

=D> =D>
    Great choice.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Crikey! Deadline is projecting an 8.5 million weekend for BvS. No way this makes $330million DOM. This film had so much potential and the casting was largely great; but the script and directing crippled this thing.