The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

Says the guy who has brought it up on a different thread......

Brought what up?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ladies. Please.
  • my 'safe space' comment you twerp; needless to say missing the point of my barb in the process.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ladies. Please.

Yes, this is getting a little stupid. Moving on ... I agree with the comments above about the subtleties in Craig's onscreen performances.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 79
    Are people always subtle in their display of emotions?
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,189
    The point was that the emotions felt "acted" sometimes rather than genuine. I'm not an expert on acting but I have heard that subtlety usually equals a stronger performance. That seems to be the general consensus.

Personally, I do feel Dalton could sometimes lay on the dramatic acting a little too much to the point where it did feel a bit theatrical.
  • So when Dalton finds Della raped and murdered, he's meant to show restraint and subtlety? Laughable
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,325

That's not the point, the point is subtlety on screen does a lot for an actor because the audience can see their face on massive screens, that kind of detail in a performance is lost on stage, so you have to make you acting 'bigger' - I am an actor by the way
    So when Dalton finds Della raped and murdered, he's meant to show restraint and subtlety? Laughable

Connery does when he finds Jill and Kerim. No one has ever complained about his performance in those scenes.
    That Della scene is one that I found a bit discomfiting for Bond. I would have preferred something a bit more nuanced, like how Connery reacts to Jill or Craig to Strawberry, as has already been noted.
  • @BAIN123 Della and Felix were close friends. Why would you expect a similar reaction?
    I think the issue I had with Dalton (and Brosnan in all fairness) is that you could sometimes see them TRY to act rather than the acting being natural.

With that scene with Bond finding Della, I didn't feel his emotion myself. It felt like Dalton was trying to sell it - the heavy breathing, the angry expression etc
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    That Della scene is one that I found a bit discomfiting for Bond. I would have preferred something a bit more nuanced, like how Connery reacts to Jill or Craig to Strawberry, as has already been noted.

It's probably my favourite scene of Dalton. I like it how he reacts and Dalton is superb in that scene. It's an emotional scene that touches me everytime I see it.
    I have to add though that I do like the overacting of Dalton, he is a theatre actor and it shows. For the same reason I so love Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard :)
    I think the best "emotional" moment from Dalton was outside Felix's house. That felt very believable and genuine to me.

It's probably my favourite scene of Dalton. I like it how he reacts and Dalton is superb in that scene. It's an emotional scene that touches me everytime I see it.
    I have to add though that I do like the overacting of Dalton, he is a theatre actor and it shows. For the same reason I so love Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard :)
    It's definitely a unique (and quite expressive) interpretation of Bond.

I forgot to mention the legendary ball buster scene in CR. Craig nailed that one. Cool while enduring obvious tremendous pain. It could easily have gone south quickly in the hands of a more expressive actor.
  • 'He is a theatre actor'. Correction, he is a skilled actor who has been tested in the strictest conditions. More importantly, he wanted to go back to the source material and save the series from the buffoonery of the Moore era.

Unfortunately his successor had no such ambition and played Bond as a 12 year old's idea of a 'cool guy'.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think the best "emotional" moment from Dalton was outside Felix's house. That felt very believable and genuine to me.
    Agreed. That was very good imho.
    Why is it then that Dalton doesn't have anywhere near the cinematic reputation of other Shakespearian trained actors who have come from the theatre and have also had to perform in very strict conditions - like Judi Dench, Ralph Feinnes, John Hurt etc?
  • probably because he's not a lefty 'luvvie'.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    probably because he's not a lefty 'luvvie'.

He worked on the stage, I think he is.
  • Yes most are. The few that are not pay for it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Someone said once "you can't act James Bond, you have to be James Bond." Dalton acted too much too often.

Notable exceptions in my opinion include the Bond Kara argument scene when she calls Bond a horse's arse and the Bond/M scenes.

• mcdonbb wrote: »
    Someone said once "you can't act James Bond, you have to be James Bond." Dalton acted too much too often.

Notable exceptions in my opinion include the Bond Kara argument scene when she calls Bond a horse's arse and the Bond/M scenes.

funny accusing that of the one guy who was determined to play Bond as Ian Fleming intended.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Someone said once "you can't act James Bond, you have to be James Bond."
    That's so true.

Probably because all of us plebs have tried to 'act' Bond so many times in our life (I certainly know I have), that we can smell something inauthentic a mile away.

funny accusing that of the one guy who was determined to play Bond as Ian Fleming intended.

Yes that is odd. I was a fan and supporter of Dalton with he was first cast and I am now again but I still have the same gripe against him.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    To be fair, he didn't get the best support from Cubby and Co., who really weren't 100% sure about what direction to take. The timing was just off, and moreover, I think they tried to incorporate elements from other 80's action films of the time (particularly in LTK) that just didn't meld well into the Bond universe. Dalton was a bit of an innovator and a little ahead of his time but he had little to draw from apart from the written word of Fleming.

By 2006, they had a much better idea of how to approach this, because they had the benefit of the novel to work with and Bourne/Wayne had given them some perspective on how to toughen Bond up while still delving into his psyche. Craig benefited from being able to actually see Bale & Damon before he took over, as well as draw from what worked with Dalton and what didn't.
    Someone said once "you can't act James Bond, you have to be James Bond."
    That's so true.

Probably because all of us plebs have tried to 'act' Bond so many times in our life (I certainly know I have), that we can smell something inauthentic a mile away.

Yes. What's really surreal is watching Craig's Bond acting like Bond in the bathroom mirror in CR just like we have all done at some point in our life but would never admit it.
  • I suspect that it's largely Americans who don't 'get' Dalton's Bond and see him as a poor man's Craig. Nothing could be further from the truth imo. Craig's Bond is superficial in comparison with what Dalton gave us.
    After the last two Craig movies Daltons twins get a new appreciation.
  • Amen to that