The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Benny wrote: »
    Just in case anyone questions my votes in the best kill elimination game, a character and scene that I loathe is the Dr.Kaufman one from TND. No disrespect to the late Vincent Schiavelli. He was a great character actor, and someone I enjoyed.
    But the character of Kaufman is all wrong too me. He's a buffoon. It's trying to be funny and serious in the same scene, it just doesn't work. At least to me. I know he's a popular character with many. I dislike that scene I think more than any other in the series. Including pretty much anything from DAD!
    :-O
    Kaufman was a f***ing douschebag. A pathological but intelligent psycho. His 'buffoonery' was not funny to me in the least, and neither was it to Brosnan's Bond. It worked, and it worked excellently.
    Sorry to disagree, @Benny. :)>-
  • The bit with Brosnan kissing Natalya after the train blows up is a bit cringeworthy in my opinion.

Why?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »
    @Szonana, I'm the complete opposite to you. Moore's voice is super refined and cool to my ears.

It's Brosnan's I can't stand. Distinctly lightweight imho (in sound and intonation) and one of his worst attributes. I'm sure you'll disagree.

Of course i disagree, i find Pierce's voice very sexy. a nice mix between soft and deep.
    But to each her/his own. The voice appeal is really subjective at least speaking voice because with singers is another thing
    Yes, it's definitely subjective and I only realized recently what an impact it can have on one's perceptions. It's more of a subconscious impact, rather than visuals which you notice consciously and right away.

Its funny how much we agree in so many Bondian stuff even though we have polar opposite opinions when it comes to Pierce as Bond.

Because its so true how the voice has such a huge influence on actors we like and obviously the with Bond actors but like you said it's something we don't notice at first instance
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The only Bond movie I can't stand is MR. It's just a bloody mess, despite having two brilliantly conceived scenes (Corrine's run through the woods and Jaws in a carnival costume in the alley).
    I'm certainly no fan of Brosnan, and one of his main "attributes" which I dislike is his smugness, which also comes across in his voice! Bond is cool and confident, but never smug!
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    I'm certainly no fan of Brosnan, and one of his main "attributes" which I dislike is his smugness, which also comes across in his voice! Bond is cool and confident, but never smug!

Never? He can be smug sometimes I think. Like how Craig was smug when the bomb went off in Miami in CR. Or how Dalton was smug when he balanced the truck on two wheels at the end of LTK.
    I'm not talking about little moments like those. I'm talking about Brosnans performance in general throughout his four films.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    It's because Dalton is a theatrical actor. Acting in the theatre and on screen are very different. On the theatre you want to make everything 'big'; whereas on screen because an audience can see you up close, it's all about subtlety. Dalton, certainly at that time, was an actor more suited to the stage in my opinion.

But he was excellent in TLD. Very natural performance.

I really do believe he made the mistake of 'trying too hard' in LTK. The grim nature of the film didn't help and neither did the abysmal script

My only real problem is that Dalton is angry at everyone in the entire film and that makes him quite unlikable. Oh but the script had definite issues.

But is Bond supposed to be likeable?

Of course he isn't. Both Fleming and Connery have said in interviews that Bond is not supposed to be likable. And really he didn't become Mr. Nice Guy until Moore began to change his demeanor, around '77.

Not if he is Fleming's Bond. Even Timothy Dalton's 007 is much kinder and caring than Bond from the novels.
    IMO, not really. He's 'caring' if you're an attractive female or a long time friend. To all others he's an elitist prig. Very Fleming to me.
    ;)

Well I certainly wouldn't expect Bond to be caring outside his circle of friends.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Moore could be pretty smug sometimes with his smirks and looks after telling a joke (he's at his most smug in MR I think). Maybe not quite as much as Brosnan was though.

"mmm...I'm still not quite sure...how good you aaarrree"

I do secretly like to imitate that :))
    @Szonana, I'm the complete opposite to you. Moore's voice is super refined and cool to my ears.

It's Brosnan's I can't stand. Distinctly lightweight imho (in sound and intonation) and one of his worst attributes. I'm sure you'll disagree.

I agree, he also looks small, limited by narrow shoulder and an overall non threatening frame. Never bought that he could look as a threat to anyone, much less a world class villian or organisation.
  • I don't know if Moore looked like a threat, either.
    I think Brosnan could sometimes look more threatening than he actually was with that stern look he gave. However, I agree about his slim, light-weight build (most obvious I think during the final of TND).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A shame how Craig got wasted after CR with horrible scripts and directing and weak, forgettable and clownesque villains, boring plots full of holes.
    Spectre is consolation for the two predecessors but it's really too late as Craig probably will move on to other things and 50 is too old really to play Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I'm tired of negative threads. We need more positive.

I mean as much as I hated SP I still liked it lol.

....but ok I'll play along. The one "actor" that grates on my nerves more than anything because just so bad is that guy Bond met at the air base in TND. You know the one that explained the encoder.

OMG did they run out of actors that one day of casting? Where they even awake when he read his lines? Really???

At night still I can hear that guy saying ..."sure..."

Truly my only traumatic bad memory from the 90's an otherwise awesome decade.
    I think "imposing" is a better word than "threatening". Moore wasn't all that threatening, but he was imposing and reasonably well built. Brosnan could look quite imposing in a suit or tux but otherwise...not really. His striking good looks were what made you watch him rather than his physical build.
  • @Bain123 - I suppose then that Dalton was the opposite of Moore. He wasn't imposing but he was threatening at times.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think "imposing" is a better word than "threatening". Moore wasn't all that threatening, but he was imposing and reasonably well built. Brosnan could look quite imposing in a suit or tux but otherwise...not really.
    Agreed on Moore. He had decent shoulders and was imposing enough. Brosnan came across a little too 'slim' and I think it was on account of the somewhat narrow shoulders in comparison to other Bond actors to that point. I noticed it in GE in the pool, where he was dwarfed by Xenia, and then later when he throws that fella down the stairs having used a towel around his neck in Monaco. The TND finale is another one. I think that's why they kept him in 'jackets' during a lot of his run even during casual wear - to make him appear more substantial. I don't think he wore short sleeves once.
  • @bondjames - He wore short sleeves in DAD, I believe. But agreed on the jackets.
    @bondjames - He wore short sleeves in DAD, I believe. But agreed on the jackets.
    Yes, thx. I recall that now. In Cuba I believe.
    @Bain123 - I suppose then that Dalton was the opposite of Moore. He wasn't imposing but he was threatening at times.

I think that's fair.
    @Bain123 - I suppose then that Dalton was the opposite of Moore. He wasn't imposing but he was threatening at times.

I think that's fair.
    Yes, that's well put. Dalton didn't seem imposing at all, but his look could be quite threatening. I think Craig is the same.
    But I think Brosnan physically matured nicely in the role. Compare Brosnan in DAD to Brosnan in GE or even further back to Remington Steele and you can see a change.
    @mcdonbb, Brosnan is most comfortable and relaxed in DAD, no doubt. Almost Connery/Moore style natural swagger in some places (but not quite imho). Personally though, I much prefer him in GE, just because the film is so much more 'Bondian'.

Conversely, I much prefer Craig in CR to Craig in SP, although it can be argued he is far more 'Bond' in the latter film.
  • @bondjames - I think Craig is fairly imposing and threatening at times.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @stun_harvesting, threatening for sure, but I don't find him all that imposing because in every film we see that he is relatively height challenged compared to his predecessors. If they switch to a taller actor next go around, I think you will notice it.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,116
    @mcdonbb, Brosnan is most comfortable and relaxed in DAD, no doubt. Almost Connery/Moore style natural swagger in some places (but not quite imho). Personally though, I much prefer him in GE, just because the film is so much more 'Bondian'.

Conversely, I much prefer Craig in CR to Craig in SP, although it can be argued he is far more 'Bond' in the latter film.

I agree.

I think that's fair.
    Yes, that's well put. Dalton didn't seem imposing at all, but his look could be quite threatening. I think Craig is the same.

Dalton's an odd one in that, in theory, he should be more imposing on film than he is being a very tall man. However, I don't think he quite "grabs" the screen. Even when you compare him to someone like Lazenby, its Laz who is the more impressive on camera.

I don't think Dalton's baggy clothes or "school-teacher" like suits (which now look pretty dated and unimpressive) really helped him to be fair.

I think that's fair.

Dalton's an odd one in that, in theory, he should be more imposing on film than he is being a very tall man. However, I don't think he quite "grabs" the screen. Even when you compare him to someone like Lazenby, its Laz who is the more impressive on camera.

I don't think Dalton's baggy clothes or "school-teacher" like suits really helped him to be fair.
    Yes, I agree that Laz was quite an imposing chap. Great physical presence. Dalton did indeed suffer from the questionable fashion of the late 80's.
  • @bondjames - Fair enough. I was considering his physical build more than his height, but what you said is true.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Well the thread is about negativity isn't it :))

Craig only once really shines as James Bond and that obviously is in Spectre. More Bondian is not possible.