Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pretty much anytime someone is announced as the front runner or rumored to play a particular role like this, it almost always ends up happening. Only a matter of time.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Really wish they were not doing these Han Solo origin films.

Good show this one for fans of SW and SW: Rebels... maybe Spoilers.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    bondjames wrote: »
    This could be the first misstep that Disney makes with the Star Wars franchise, from my perspective at least. Let this sleeping dog lie. Young Anakin was a failure (critically at least) in the past, and I have a feeling this could be too. No need for a Solo film imho.
    Some things are best left to the imagination. It's not necessary to see how Han met Chewie, Lando and Jabba etc... The whole point of his character was to have him go from "scoundrel" to (eventually) mentor in TFA. We got enough information in ANH to establish what kind of person he was.

That being said, I can't imagine this will be worse than the prequels. That bar is set so low that you'd almost have to go out of your way to sabotage the whole thing. Anakin's story could have been great, and felt like a natural and necessary addition to the saga, if it had been done correctly. Let's just hope they don't try to make any "forced" connections (like Anakin creating C3PO) that could potentially tarnish the OT any further.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Atleast George Lucas is in no way involved with this planned Han Solo origins film, unlike the Prequels.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

pachazo wrote: »
    It's not necessary to see how Han met Chewie
    "How much is that wookie in the window?"
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited April 2016 Posts: 7,314
    Ha! The one with big f****** bowcaster?

Atleast George Lucas is in no way involved with this planned Han Solo origins film, unlike the Prequels.
    If nothing else, it does have that going for it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    George Lucas has certainly fallen from grace. Like Judas or Hitler.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 3,333
    Indeed, George Lucas wasn't involved in Force Awakens either, and just look how that turned out: a flaccid carbon copy of the original movie, right down to lifting dialogue verbatim from the "original" characters and supplanting them into the mouths of a totally new cast. You can call it a homage, a reimagining or whatever you like, but I call it plain uninspiring. I tried to watch it again the other night, but had to turn it off at about the midway point when the blatant plagiarism reached such stupefying and depressing levels I had to ask myself, just what the heck did people see in this bastard clone to actually like to begin with... and are still lapping it up?

Okay, the prequels had their flaws, but where is the Darth Maul double-bladed lightsaber fight with such menacing ferocity in Awakens? Where is the thrilling Pod Race moment? Where is there an actor of McGregor or Neeson's worth, whom I was at least emotionally invested in and cared about? Where is the spark of originality in the dialogue? The very same dialogue that gets George Lucas dragged over the coals for, whereas Awakens' cornball and regurgitated dialogue gets an A+. Why does Boyega use a faux American accent while all the other British actors keep their real accents? How come Daisy Ridley can't act for toffee but is being lauded as the new Keira Knightley, who only had a bit part in the Phantom Menace and is 100 times the actress in her minor role as Sabé than Miss Daisy is in her major one? How come everything is so clearly sign-posted storywise in Awakens that I'd either have to be in a heavily induced coma not to see it coming a mile off, or have the mind of a 5-year-old? (No offence to 5 year-old kiddies who might be reading this, by the way).

After all the hoopla and hype surrounding this picture, and not to mention huge amounts of money invested in it, I would have at the very least expected something with a modicum of originality to have come out as an end product - anything but this slavishly predictable tosh.

And seriously, did Lawrence Kasdan really get paid big bucks to write this reheated old schlopp and not expect to get called out by some of us who expected so much more from a man of his many talents? I suppose the problem might fall more at Jar Jar Abrams' feet more so than at Kasdan's. But still, I'd have expected Kasdan to have at least voiced dissent and told Jar Jar: "Look, this is the same goddamn story... and we're even lifting George's original dialogue from New Hope. People are gonna notice. We'll never get away with it. People aren't that stupid!" (JJ arches an eyebrow in mock surprise)

Yes, I've seen the trailer for Rogue One. It looks nice, can't fault the production values, but then I couldn't fault the production values of Awakens either. Can't say I'm too impressed with another female lead as the leading protaganist of the story. Seems like Disney are just repeating the same formula from Awakens and transposing it onto Rogue. My guess is Felicity Jones will be the same gutsy, no nonsense heroine that Daisy Ridley was. It'll simply be a case of more of the same. Ho-hum.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    pachazo wrote: »
    It's not necessary to see how Han met Chewie
    "How much is that wookie in the window?"
    Take our advice, at any price, a Wookie like this Chewie is mighty nice....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A New Hope wasn't exactly the pinnacle of acting greatness either. Sure it's not the most original film in the series but The Force Awakens was still fun, it captured the feel of the original trilogy and added a modern touch to it. I really liked the new characters and I can't wait to see more of them in Episode 8. I'm glad we got to see Han and Chewie play a big role in the film it was great seeing them once again as I truly cared about those characters. This was the film I wanted to see in 1999. It was fun and entertaining.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't fault anything in TFA. History repeating itself has been a theme in the franchise for awhile now. And what dialogue is "blatantly" stolen from the Original Trilogy and given to the TFA protagonists?
    My only beef with TFA is... more family angst? :))
    Other than that it was a good show. I'm in angst myself for more Mark Hamill now! :D
    Well now we have Episode 8 to look forward too. :D
    daisy-ridley-birthday-message-from-mark-hamill.jpg
    Photoshopped-Mark-Hamill-Daisy-Ridley.jpg
    Silly are you, yes.. MAHAHWAHAHHWH.
    Haha it's not mine but it's brilliant. That was tweeted by Mark on his Birthday. Then less than 24 hours later the fans have already messed with it. =))
    Murdock wrote: »
    Haha it's not mine but it's brilliant. That was tweeted by Mark on his Birthday. Then less than 24 hours later the fans have already messed with it. =))
    On a serious note, did you cry at that scene... you know the one I mean...
    I was glad I had popcorn butter soaked napkins to rely on.

chrisisall wrote: »
    On a serious note, did you cry at that scene... you know the one I mean...
    I was glad I had popcorn butter soaked napkins to rely on.

Oh yes there were tears. Not so much when I first saw it as that part was spoiled for me but the second time I saw it, I knew when it was going to happen it hit me real hard. I planned ahead and brought tissues.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 17,691
    that part was spoiled for me but the second time I saw it, I knew when it was going to happen it hit me real hard. I planned ahead and brought tissues.
    I had no idea going in, so I was pretty (and unexpectedly) devastated.
    :-O
    that part was spoiled for me but the second time I saw it, I knew when it was going to happen it hit me real hard. I planned ahead and brought tissues.

Another one of my favorite captain's gone. :((

Picard LIVES!

Picard LIVES!
    Not my favorite compared to Kirk. ;)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondsum wrote: »
    Indeed, George Lucas wasn't involved in Force Awakens either, and just look how that turned out: a flaccid carbon copy of the original movie, right down to lifting dialogue verbatim from the "original" characters and supplanting them into the mouths of a totally new cast. You can call it a homage, a reimagining or whatever you like, but I call it plain uninspiring. I tried to watch it again the other night, but had to turn it off at about the midway point when the blatant plagiarism reached such stupefying and depressing levels I had to ask myself, just what the heck did people see in this bastard clone to actually like to begin with... and are still lapping it up?

Okay, the prequels had their flaws, but where is the Darth Maul double-bladed lightsaber fight with such menacing ferocity in Awakens? Where is the thrilling Pod Race moment? Where is there an actor of McGregor or Neeson's worth, whom I was at least emotionally invested in and cared about? Where is the spark of originality in the dialogue? The very same dialogue that gets George Lucas dragged over the coals for, whereas Awakens' cornball and regurgitated dialogue gets an A+. Why does Boyega use a faux American accent while all the other British actors keep their real accents? How come Daisy Ridley can't act for toffee but is being lauded as the new Keira Knightley, who only had a bit part in the Phantom Menace and is 100 times the actress in her minor role as Sabé than Miss Daisy is in her major one? How come everything is so clearly sign-posted storywise in Awakens that I'd either have to be in a heavily induced coma not to see it coming a mile off, or have the mind of a 5-year-old? (No offence to 5 year-old kiddies who might be reading this, by the way).

After all the hoopla and hype surrounding this picture, and not to mention huge amounts of money invested in it, I would have at the very least expected something with a modicum of originality to have come out as an end product - anything but this slavishly predictable tosh.

And seriously, did Lawrence Kasdan really get paid big bucks to write this reheated old schlopp and not expect to get called out by some of us who expected so much more from a man of his many talents? I suppose the problem might fall more at Jar Jar Abrams' feet more so than at Kasdan's. But still, I'd have expected Kasdan to have at least voiced dissent and told Jar Jar: "Look, this is the same goddamn story... and we're even lifting George's original dialogue from New Hope. People are gonna notice. We'll never get away with it. People aren't that stupid!" (JJ arches an eyebrow in mock surprise)

Yes, I've seen the trailer for Rogue One. It looks nice, can't fault the production values, but then I couldn't fault the production values of Awakens either. Can't say I'm too impressed with another female lead as the leading protaganist of the story. Seems like Disney are just repeating the same formula from Awakens and transposing it onto Rogue. My guess is Felicity Jones will be the same gutsy, no nonsense heroine that Daisy Ridley was. It'll simply be a case of more of the same. Ho-hum.

At last someone with sense and perspective. =D>
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    bondsum wrote: »

Nail, hit.
  • It seems The Force Awakens is now going through the stage any popular film always tends to go through, films such as Skyfall, even Frozen, Inception, where people start to come out and claim it's not as good as originally first thought. For me, this is usually an over reaction to the over reaction and the truth often lies somewhere in the middle. The film is never usually as good as the hype suggests when it's first released and it's never as bad as some people try to claim when the hype dies down. The Force Awakens was all about renewing the faith for Star Wars fans, that the sense of fun and adventure could be injected back into the series. Personally, I thought there were some good bits in the prequels, but it was an absolute joy to read a Star Wars scroll that wasn't about Senate debates for once again.
  • @BondJasonBond006 I wouldn't really say any of that is being said with any sort of sense and perspective. It's hyperbole, just on the opposite end of the spectrum from those who are saying it's the best ever Star Wars film etc.
    I'd say when this happens, it's a matter of the honeymoon stage being over. Take SP: the first few times I saw it, it was brand new, it was fresh, almost all of the scenes stood out as exciting perfection. However, the more I saw it - especially on blu-ray, where I had a chance to pause the movie, put on subtitles, and rewind - the issues and problems and complaints started to stand out more and more.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd say when this happens, it's a matter of the honeymoon stage being over. Take SP: the first few times I saw it, it was brand new, it was fresh, almost all of the scenes stood out as exciting perfection. However, the more I saw it - especially on blu-ray, where I had a chance to pause the movie, put on subtitles, and rewind - the issues and problems and complaints started to stand out more and more.

I'd agree with this. Spectre seems to diminish in each viewing. I thought it was fantastic in the cinema - but am progressively finding it boring. These films are also hyped up to extremes too, which inevitably is going to lead to disappointment.
  • I think there's a difference though, between being more open and able to recognise flaws upon rewatching and basically trashing the film. As I said, I think people over react in the first place, then as you said, the 'honeymoon stage' is over and people go completely the other way and almost over react in the opposite way to the first set of people. It's all pretty silly to me.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,492
    @BlofeldsScar, that's some people, though. Some people started out hating it and may now love it, and vice versa. Some people may not change their minds at all, that's just how it works. Any newest entry in a series will always be under a lot of reviewing and scrutinizing.
  • @Creasy47 Upon re-watching films, there's always a chance of re-evaluation, looking at some parts you loved and maybe seeing a flaw in them, watching some parts you disliked and finding a new charm within them. But my main, original point really is that films that were intensely popular upon release always seem to create a group of people who respond to it with negative hyperbole. Imo, Frozen is a good Disney film, not great. Some people would have you believe it's the best Disney film. Others would have you believe it's the worst one yet. People are entitled to their opinions, but I think it's a strange phenomenon, especially on the internet, you're only allowed to say something is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. No in between.