Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FUCKING LUKE

Lucky, not fucking, you cannot swear here. This isn t your precinct, copper.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Murdock wrote: »
    I thought it was Duke Nightwalker

That would either be the name he goes by while hiding, or the name some "clever" fanfic writer comes up with for their Luke-like main character.
    Fan theories are already pouring in as to what becomes of Jyn Erso, ranging from 'she's gonna be Captain Phasma' to 'she's Rey's mom.'
    That does bring up something troubling though-- since this is a prequel and we never see these guys in the other movies.... I sure hope everyone doesn't die! That would be depressing.

For anyone interested in potential spoilers as to who may show up,
    apparently this years New York Toy Fair showed images of a Lego set which depicted Slave I. So there's a high probability we'll see Boba Fett!
    Fan theories are already pouring in as to what becomes of Jyn Erso, ranging from 'she's gonna be Captain Phasma' to 'she's Rey's mom.'
    "I say, is it too much to ask for both?"

• There's a bunch of Snoke theories floating around. They're all crap, except perhaps Snoke being Darth Plagueis.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    TFA is certainly a good movie, but I don't see why it should be considered anywhere near the original trilogy. I find the new characters too young, they really look like being cast from some Disney Channel show and the praise that Kylo Ren gets is beyond my understanding. I get that 80% of movie goers are 25 or younger but TFA could have tried to be a bit more mature.
    JJ Abrams at least made it highly entertaining.
    I also don't get the "hate" for Episode I to III. They did right and secured very successfully the legacy of Star Wars. They are epic, something I missed very much in TFA.

Rogue One seems to be the SW movie I was waiting for. If that one isn't aimed at teenagers as well, it could be fantastic.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Poe, Rey and Finn are near in age to where Han, Luke and Leia were in A New Hope.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Poe, Rey and Finn are near in age to where Han, Luke and Leia were in A New Hope.

I know but Han, Luke and Leia were depicted differently. They didn't feel like teenagers that don't know what they are doing. Even Luke as eager as he was to go and fight, he seemed quite like an adult.

And Poe is the only new character I truly love, sadly he was not the lead, something I hope will change in the next one.
  • RC7RC7

I know but Han, Luke and Leia were depicted differently. They didn't feel like teenagers that don't know what they are doing. Even Luke as eager as he was to go and fight, he seemed quite like an adult.

And Poe is the only new character I truly love, sadly he was not the lead, something I hope will change in the next one.

I've said before, the characters in the original SW are far better drawn and realised than those who debut in TFA. It's perhaps this that you're alluding to.

Both Rey and Finn are spectators, with a lot of stuff kicking off around them and/or happening to them, which they have little to no control over. That's fine in certain circumstances, but as the original SW proves, you can both ask and answer questions within the same film, allowing your sequel to push the characters into even more interesting places. It's more exciting to not know the questions that will be asked in part VIII, but with TFA the characters are quite flaccid and reasonably directionless and have no closure of any sense by the finale. The structure is more akin to TV.

It's the rest of the gang tend to add the necessary leverage to the story, while Finn and Rey stand around wondering what's going on for the most part.

Regards maturity I see where you're coming from. Mature characters tend to take situations by the scruff of the neck, they're proactive, Luke, Leia and Han all do this in SW, aligned with their own goals and for very different reasons. Rey and Finn, on the other hand, don't do this.

Despite my misgivings with this aspect of the story, it remains a thrill ride of a film. However, better character work (and less attempts to cram everything and the kitchen sink in) and it would be better still.
    Rey got force visions from Anakin's/Luke's Light Saber, so why did Luke not get force visions from his (technically... pun not intenteded) brother CP30. That new force ability really does open up a can of worms.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,043
    I think TFA is far from a perfect film or reaching ESB levels of quality but this is leap years better than what we got with the prequels.

It captured enough of the original spirit to make a great ride for me but no I still rank the previous original films even ROTJ higher.

Rian Johnson has allot riding on his film, we are expecting something new from him not a rerun of Episode IV which at times TFA was.

Ridley and Boyega though were tons better than the acting in the prequels, I think some of it's fans try to avoid how wooden those films were, I bought into their characters even though they weren't the classic blue print of the originals.

Young Anakin and Teenage Anakin were just downright annoying, shame for McGregor because he tried hard to make it work but he was shackeled like McDermid with such an horendous script that both of them didn't have a chance.

If the spin off's give Ewan a chance to reprise Obi Wan I'd go with that as I think he could more than embody the spirit of the character with the right material.
    Rey got force visions from Anakin's/Luke's Light Saber, so why did Luke not get force visions from his (technically... pun not intenteded) brother CP30. That new force ability really does open up a can of worms.

The old EU had the type of Force Vision Rey had as a special ability very few Jedi actually had.
    Rogue One trailer was pretty good, still not seen TFA yet though. Lets just say life has been abit crazy!
    Seen the ad for the DVD (which in France is on sale as of april 16th - don't ask). Of course, I'll buy it (well, the Blu-Ray, of course), but not in 3-D. Don't want that spaceship to take out my eye, after all.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm also buying 'The Force Awakens' on Blu Ray as soon as it comes out in France, on april 16th as said above. And next week I'm finally going to watch 'Bridge of Spies' when I pick up the Blu Ray of that too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just rewatched TFA a few days back and I'm already itching for another go at it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,985
    Empire
    A New Hope....two of the greatest fantasy films ever made

Return of the Jedi was a pile of infantile crap (Chewie doing a Tarzan yell was plumbing the depths)
    TFA was bloody awful
    The prequels were meh.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432

The old EU had the type of Force Vision Rey had as a special ability very few Jedi actually had.

Despite the old EU no longer being cannon they seem to be borrowing from it quite a bit, I have to admit I am not that aware of the old EU I only paid attention to the Skywalker story arc originally. I watch Collider Jedi Council picked up a bit of back history from that, or rather post RoJ in the old EU.

Despite the old EU no longer being cannon they seem to be borrowing from it quite a bit, I have to admit I am not that aware of the old EU I only paid attention to the Skywalker story arc originally. I watch Collider Jedi Council picked up a bit of back history from that, or rather post RoJ in the old EU.

They are borrowing a great deal from it, but it'd be a waste not to. The old EU lasted from 1978 to 2013, there was a wealth of detail within it.
    How so? Has every Jedi to be exactly like any other Jedi?

They are borrowing a great deal from it, but it'd be a waste not to. The old EU lasted from 1978 to 2013, there was a wealth of detail within it.

Makes sense to mine whats there, they could not directly use the EU post RoJ as the audience would well know everything that was coming. So I understand that they had to disband the EU.

boldfinger wrote: »
    How so? Has every Jedi to be exactly like any other Jedi?
    Not necessarily though @Agent007391 answered that question for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's cool I guess I was hoping for a real young Han solo.For some reason I had a child Han in my head
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Unless I missed it, he only appears to be the front runner, not officially given the role.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I really hope it's Anthony Ingruber.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

I really hope this movie gets scrapped and they decide to do a Obi Wan film starring Ewan McGregor
    100% agreement with @Seven_Point_Six_Five.
    I LOVE Han Solo, and that's exactly why they should leave it the hell alone before they ruin it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I really hope this movie gets scrapped and they decide to do a Obi Wan film starring Ewan McGregor
    You know what, I'll gladly take that instead. One young Han Solo movie was enough.
    latest?cb=20110726022740
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This could be the first misstep that Disney makes with the Star Wars franchise, from my perspective at least. Let this sleeping dog lie. Young Anakin was a failure (critically at least) in the past, and I have a feeling this could be too. No need for a Solo film imho.