Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    @RC7 I don't think anyone's insulted. But we're allowed to point out that he sounds like an idiot. His whole attitude stinks of 'I'm better than everyone else because I don't like the film', accusing people of lapping it up, accusing people of being stupid. And you know what? Yours does too. I've given you the chance to have a discussion about what you didn't like about the film and you've not taken it, choosing to instead have more snide digs. You go on about safe spaces and being insulted so much that I think it's YOU that needs a safe space. You're not worth anyone's time.

I actually enjoy the film, but you've been around for no time at all so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I will take your discussion up when I have time. I never said anything was 'insulting', why would it be be? Jason bond brought that to the table. As for going on about 'space spaces' and 'being insulted', the first I mentioned once (tongue in cheek, again, Heaven forbid) the second... I've never mentioned being insulted, just called out those who are. Check your facts before entering the playground.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd say when this happens, it's a matter of the honeymoon stage being over. Take SP: the first few times I saw it, it was brand new, it was fresh, almost all of the scenes stood out as exciting perfection. However, the more I saw it - especially on blu-ray, where I had a chance to pause the movie, put on subtitles, and rewind - the issues and problems and complaints started to stand out more and more.
    Well, for ME, SPECTRE made the hairs on the back of my neck tingle in the theatre... but when I got the blu ray & was able to scrutinize it more closely I didn't like it AS much. I LIKED IT MORE! In fact, I like it better with each viewing.
    The Force Awakens was cool to see in the theatre, but curiously, I didn't dash out to buy it the first day it was released to blu ray like I did with SP. In fact I still haven't bought it. Today my co-worker lent me a copy... and now that I'm home... I think I'll put on Highlander instead.
    :-??
    Or maybe The Empire Strikes Back.
    I dunno, I guess the more I think about it, the less I appreciate the story. Like they messed with the set up at the end of ROTJ too much. More angst. More family issues. How could NO ONE have a decent future after all they went through & accomplished? I find myself wishing they'd just left Han, Leia & Luke out of it altogether, since I genuinely like all the new characters so much-!!!
    *snif*
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @chrisisall, and that's totally a good thing. There's nothing better than loving a movie, seeing it again, and somehow loving it even more the second time.

We're just vice versa, as I loved TFA, bought the blu-ray, re-watched it (third viewing, saw it twice in theaters) and loved it even more.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm actually quite envious of the many people that seem to find TFA the best thing since the original Star Wars movie.
    I wish I could see it that way. I didn't want to mention it at first, I watched TFA today with my wife and my 6 year old daughter. I promised my daughter she can watch Batman, Star Wars or Harry Potter once she's 6. She chose SW because of the Sphero BB-8 I have. She loves that thing.

And she liked it. She didn't find it the least bit scary (I did warn her about Han Solo getting killed). The first hour she found funny, entertaining and shockingly she asked me at one point why they never sing a song.... :-O
    One of those moments I will never forget. My wife burst out laughing at the question :))

After seeing it, she told me it's like Disney's The Descendants. Another shocking revelation... even more shocking, she is right.

I think, I hope Episode VIII will be different. TFA is just too much aimed at children.

Of course now she will want to re-watch it time and time again....my luck 8-| :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't say it's the Best since the original movie. I'd say it's the best since Return of the Jedi. The prequels really left a sour taste in my mouth and put me on an "Anti-Star Wars" Phase for quite a few years. The Force Awakens, changed that thankfully. I rewatched the original trilogy before seeing The Force awakens and I put it second with Empire Strikes Back as my favorite. Sure it takes too much from A New Hope but there are many things to enjoy about it. The banter between Han and Finn are some of my favorite moments in the movie. It felt like it belonged. I'm really excited to see where Episode 8 goes. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Murdock wrote: »
    I rewatched the original trilogy before seeing The Force awakens and I put it second with Empire Strikes Back as my favorite.
    I did exactly the same thing, and it's my 2nd favourite behind ESB as well.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @chrisisall, and that's totally a good thing. There's nothing better than loving a movie, seeing it again, and somehow loving it even more the second time.

We're just vice versa, as I loved TFA, bought the blu-ray, re-watched it (third viewing, saw it twice in theaters) and loved it even more.
    Okay, you've convinced me to put it on after all. Why not try it again?
    Later.
    Good thinking. I plan on rewatching it within the next week or so. I wrapped up a trilogy marathon of the original movies a few weeks ago, that was also very enjoyable.
    Just got my Force Awakens Blu Ray! Have to say the extras are a lot more abundant than Spectre's.
  • RC7RC7
    There is no way TFA is a better movie than the original SW.
    RC7 wrote: »
    There is no way TFA is a better movie than the original SW.

No it isn't.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,043
    I would put it below the original trilogy but way above the prequels.

Yes Episodes 1,2 & 3 were more bold and original but it's about the execution and the film having a soul and not being totally reliant on SFX and having terrible acting and writing.

Watching Palpatine tell Anakin the Darth Plagius story makes me cringe, the dialogue sounds like it was written by a 5 year old, also the way the Gungans are portrayed is insulting, the use of racial stereotypes is offensive beyond belief.

If TFA is Disney channel acting I'll take it over the wooden ghastly efforts we got in those Lucas directed monstrositys.

Talking about Mr Abrams Lost was for me the biggest waste of time I ever had with a TV series. Lots of threads that were never tied up and the biggest cop out ending in TV history. To think this got as many seasons as it did and someone worked out they were all in puragatory at the end of the 1st season and the makers denied it to do exactly that.

Some people try to tell me it's spiritual and deep it wasn't it was lazy and they painted themselves into a corner and couldn't get out, yeah the journey there was quite thrilling and it certainly gripped me but the conclusion was awful.

I don't mind ambiguious endings or sudden ones ( I love Sopranos controversial sign off) but Lost promised so much and delivered none of it by the end.

I'm by no means a huge JJ fan, I don't mind his 2 Trek films very entertaining nothing classic, I'm quite happy he's not doing anymore directing on this trilogy and Johnson who is more talented and original than him is doing Episode VII.

On the strenght of Jurassic World though Trevorrow directing Episode IX is a concern. I caught JW at the cinema last year and quite enjoyed it but when I watched a 2nd time a month or so ago, I was left totally unimpressed, the acting was sub standard and it totally lacked suspense, I hope he ups his game for this crucial end to the trilogy.
    I never really liked the original SW. I came to it much later, and it just seemed dull. Moreover, I found the acting, particularly by Hamill & Fisher, to be quite subpar. Only Guinness and Ford were notable among the main cast for me. Jedi gets bogged down with those Ewok thingies, although the chase through the forest and the final battle are excellent.

So objectively I can't say TFA is better. In fact, I'm sure it isn't. I just prefer it personally. It's the film I'd want to watch again, along with ESB.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited April 2016 Posts: 5,080
    The original trilogy is untouchable, imo. Well, certainly SW and ESB.
    The original trilogy are untouchable, imo. Well, certainly SW and ESB.

Agreed.
    Watched TFA ten times now, really enjoy this film, is probably joint fourth for me at present with ROTS.
    The original Star Wars was saved by great editing. This was a movie directed by a dude with a good idea but not much else (his 'directing' consisted of say it with more intensity)
    That's party why TESB was such a giant step up. Not knocking the original of course, I love it as much as the next guy.

What do you get when George Lucas is in charge of the whole thing? Prequels. Prequels are what you get. And that was with a huge advance in technology. Imagine what he would have churned out in 1977 under the same conditions
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Just got my Force Awakens Blu Ray! Have to say the extras are a lot more abundant than Spectre's.

Watching TFA extras now, the Journey documentary is good.

Fords reaction when on the Falcon is pure movie magic, you can see the emotion in his face.

Sounds like a mixture of being a UK/Europe only thing, and being slightly misinformed, for most DVD's don't come with a digital copy at all here in the States; could be different in the UK. They messed up the entire special features deal, as my copy came with the unique special features...but they're only viewable online, via some Disney account, and it comes with one code that is combined with the digital copy, so there's no way to redeem one without the other. This was done so they can infinitely re-release the movie for fans to throw more money at.

However, at least it came with extras/deleted scenes to some degree, whereas SP got a big pile of nothing special.
  • I haven't seen The Force Awakens yet , does it matter that i haven't seen many star wars movies or can i just watch it and understand what the hell is going on? I only ask as i'm thinking of getting it and i really don't want to spend £10 on a movie that i might not like, i can't afford to do that.
    @valentinzukovsky, this is a series you'd be better off seeing the originals of before watching the new one. You'll be pretty lost if not.
    @valentinzukovsky, this is a series you'd be better off seeing the originals of before watching the new one. You'll be pretty lost if not.
    Yes, I agree. Just watch the ones from the 70's/early 80's. That's all you need. If you didn't like them, then you may not like the new one, and may be better off saving the tenner for another film.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. Just watch the ones from the 70's/early 80's. That's all you need. If you didn't like them, then you may not like the new one, and may be better off saving the tenner for another film.

This. If you enjoy the originals, check out TFA for sure. You needn't bother with the prequels if you don't.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,985
    bondsum wrote: »
    Atleast George Lucas is in no way involved with this planned Han Solo origins film, unlike the Prequels.
    Indeed, George Lucas wasn't involved in Force Awakens either, and just look how that turned out: a flaccid carbon copy of the original movie, right down to lifting dialogue verbatim from the "original" characters and supplanting them into the mouths of a totally new cast. You can call it a homage, a reimagining or whatever you like, but I call it plain uninspiring. I tried to watch it again the other night, but had to turn it off at about the midway point when the blatant plagiarism reached such stupefying and depressing levels I had to ask myself, just what the heck did people see in this bastard clone to actually like to begin with... and are still lapping it up?

Okay, the prequels had their flaws, but where is the Darth Maul double-bladed lightsaber fight with such menacing ferocity in Awakens? Where is the thrilling Pod Race moment? Where is there an actor of McGregor or Neeson's worth, whom I was at least emotionally invested in and cared about? Where is the spark of originality in the dialogue? The very same dialogue that gets George Lucas dragged over the coals for, whereas Awakens' cornball and regurgitated dialogue gets an A+. Why does Boyega use a faux American accent while all the other British actors keep their real accents? How come Daisy Ridley can't act for toffee but is being lauded as the new Keira Knightley, who only had a bit part in the Phantom Menace and is 100 times the actress in her minor role as Sabé than Miss Daisy is in her major one? How come everything is so clearly sign-posted storywise in Awakens that I'd either have to be in a heavily induced coma not to see it coming a mile off, or have the mind of a 5-year-old? (No offence to 5 year-old kiddies who might be reading this, by the way).

After all the hoopla and hype surrounding this picture, and not to mention huge amounts of money invested in it, I would have at the very least expected something with a modicum of originality to have come out as an end product - anything but this slavishly predictable tosh.

And seriously, did Lawrence Kasdan really get paid big bucks to write this reheated old schlopp and not expect to get called out by some of us who expected so much more from a man of his many talents? I suppose the problem might fall more at Jar Jar Abrams' feet more so than at Kasdan's. But still, I'd have expected Kasdan to have at least voiced dissent and told Jar Jar: "Look, this is the same goddamn story... and we're even lifting George's original dialogue from New Hope. People are gonna notice. We'll never get away with it. People aren't that stupid!" (JJ arches an eyebrow in mock surprise)

Yes, I've seen the trailer for Rogue One. It looks nice, can't fault the production values, but then I couldn't fault the production values of Awakens either. Can't say I'm too impressed with another female lead as the leading protaganist of the story.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Atleast George Lucas is in no way involved with this planned Han Solo origins film, unlike the Prequels.
    Indeed, George Lucas wasn't involved in Force Awakens either, and just look how that turned out: a flaccid carbon copy of the original movie, right down to lifting dialogue verbatim from the "original" characters and supplanting them into the mouths of a totally new cast. You can call it a homage, a reimagining or whatever you like, but I call it plain uninspiring. I tried to watch it again the other night, but had to turn it off at about the midway point when the blatant plagiarism reached such stupefying and depressing levels I had to ask myself, just what the heck did people see in this bastard clone to actually like to begin with... and are still lapping it up?

Okay, the prequels had their flaws, but where is the Darth Maul double-bladed lightsaber fight with such menacing ferocity in Awakens? Where is the thrilling Pod Race moment? Where is there an actor of McGregor or Neeson's worth, whom I was at least emotionally invested in and cared about? Where is the spark of originality in the dialogue? The very same dialogue that gets George Lucas dragged over the coals for, whereas Awakens' cornball and regurgitated dialogue gets an A+. Why does Boyega use a faux American accent while all the other British actors keep their real accents? How come Daisy Ridley can't act for toffee but is being lauded as the new Keira Knightley, who only had a bit part in the Phantom Menace and is 100 times the actress in her minor role as Sabé than Miss Daisy is in her major one? How come everything is so clearly sign-posted storywise in Awakens that I'd either have to be in a heavily induced coma not to see it coming a mile off, or have the mind of a 5-year-old? (No offence to 5 year-old kiddies who might be reading this, by the way).

After all the hoopla and hype surrounding this picture, and not to mention huge amounts of money invested in it, I would have at the very least expected something with a modicum of originality to have come out as an end product - anything but this slavishly predictable tosh.

And seriously, did Lawrence Kasdan really get paid big bucks to write this reheated old schlopp and not expect to get called out by some of us who expected so much more from a man of his many talents? I suppose the problem might fall more at Jar Jar Abrams' feet more so than at Kasdan's. But still, I'd have expected Kasdan to have at least voiced dissent and told Jar Jar: "Look, this is the same goddamn story... and we're even lifting George's original dialogue from New Hope. People are gonna notice. We'll never get away with it. People aren't that stupid!" (JJ arches an eyebrow in mock surprise)

Yes, I've seen the trailer for Rogue One. It looks nice, can't fault the production values, but then I couldn't fault the production values of Awakens either. Can't say I'm too impressed with another female lead as the leading protaganist of the story. Seems like Disney are just repeating the same formula from Awakens and transposing it onto Rogue. My guess is Felicity Jones will be the same gutsy, no nonsense heroine that Daisy Ridley was. It'll simply be a case of more of the same. Ho-hum.

Abso-bloody-lutely spot on!

It looks and sounds like Star Wars, but it's not Star Wars. It's a fake. A shallow fraud that tries to emulate the magic of the original film and fails miserably.

I saw this at the cinema and have no intentions of ever watching this tripe again. Usually i would give a film another look, but i can't bring myself to watch that godawful scene on the cargo ship where the tentacled Aliens escape. It was like something out of Galaxy Quest!!! Those scenes were NOT Star Wars.

TFA was Star Wars substitute.

I prefer the real thing.
    Well let me put it this way: my niece accompanied us on my second viewing (she has seen none of the movies) and when Kylo Ren showed up she whispered to me 'is that Darth Vader?'
  • Just watched Episode IV,really enjoyed it. Episodes V and VI downloading now.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    You're in for a real treat with Empire.
    Empire is still the best I'd say. Shouldn't be topped. I'm rewatching Force Awakens for the first time now. It's pretty decent, but I still rank it number 5 (behind Revenge and all the originals).