Has Mission Impossible surpassed Bond?

Comments

Its a good point re the three CGI Navy Lynx, a single genuine Dauphin with SAS snipers would have been better IMHO (as usual we digress)

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66442
    As much as i enjoy MI, Bond will always be number 1 for me. I still have not seen RN yet, this would never happen with a Bond film for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I still have not seen RN yet,.
    You should. Well worth 2 hrs of your time, I can assure you.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    As much as i enjoy MI, Bond will always be number 1 for me. I still have not seen RN yet, this would never happen with a Bond film for me.

@RogueAgent, shame on you mate! Seems like I need to give Ving Rhames a stern talking to for not properly persuading you to see it yet. I won't talk to him in person of course, just over a phone that is entirely untraceable. I'm not a fool...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

@RogueAgent, shame on you mate! Seems like I need to give Ving Rhames a stern talking to for not properly persuading you to see it yet. I won't talk to him in person of course, just over a phone that is entirely untraceable. I'm not a fool...

When I saw him in my RN rewatch last night, all I could think was how scary and intimidating he is. He shows just how badass he is in M:I-2:

"That punk put a hole in my Versace! Oh, I'm mad, now."

*proceeds to throw a car off of a bridge using a grenade launcher*
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,692
    When I was a kid, I thought Ving Rhames was the true star of 'Mission Impossible 2'. Especially thanks to the scene @Creasy47 mentionned.
    @DaltonCraig007, his mixture of action and comedy in that movie is one of the reasons I love it so much and it still stands as my favorite in the series.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 M:I:2 is one of the films I've rewatched the most in my life. I just love it, flat out action with tons of badass moments.
    @Creasy47 M:I:2 is one of the films I've rewatched the most in my life. I just love it, flat out action with tons of badass moments.

Agreed. John Woo delivers as usual, particularly during the finale and the scene where Hunt breaks in to destroy the last vials of Chimera.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ving had to have had a history as a bodyguard before he got success in the acting field, right? The guy's a freaking brick wall of muscle.
    I believe Liam Neeson studied Ving Rhames' movies before making "Taken".
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, his mixture of action and comedy in that movie is one of the reasons I love it so much and it still stands as my favorite in the series.
    True dat.

Just looked him up, and it seems that he went straight into studying acting, graduating, and performing on Broadway and in film. What's cool is that his real name is Irving, but while in acting school, one of his fellow classmates was the ever-so-incredible Stanley Tucci, who gave him the nickname 'Ving.' Also, the only Golden Globe he ever won, he gave to Jack Lemmon. So, not a bodyguard, but still a badass!
    Just looked him up, and it seems that he went straight into studying acting, graduating, and performing on Broadway and in film. What's cool is that his real name is Irving, but while in acting school, one of his fellow classmates was the ever-so-incredible Stanley Tucci, who gave him the nickname 'Ving.' Also, the only Golden Globe he ever won, he gave to Jack Lemmon. So, not a bodyguard, but still a badass!

I love the moment when he gave his award to Jack. It's made even more touching when you realize that the legend was in that moment at one of his last award events before his death only a few years afterward. Very touching, indeed.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, Jack said it was one of the kindest, most generous moments of his life, and it's even sweeter in that it was the only Globe that Ving ever won, and he had no problem giving it to a legend. I'm pretty sure they made him a duplicate award, but still, he had no idea that was going to happen and it's such a beautiful moment and kind gesture.
    Ving reminds me of the kind of man who is the size of a mountain and who could crack you over the head with a flick of his pinky, yet he spends his time out in the wilderness interacting with nature and discovering life's simplest pleasures. He has the means to wreck havoc and strike fear into the hearts of those around him with his gigantic arms alone, yet he is more likely to extend a kind word and pick up, not put down others.

A man who would've made for one hell of a soldier or security professional chose instead to become a cinematic icon who cared more about the craft and those who made it special than flashy awards, and that's pretty damn cool.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I hadn't watched M:I2 in forever, but yall are persuading me to rewatch it.
    Sark wrote: »

Do it. Just go into it expecting insane action with a sprinkling of romance and a GE type plot, of sorts (with the rogue friendly ex-agent the main character is going up against). Very fun.

Sark wrote: »

Do it. Just go into it expecting insane action with a sprinkling of romance and a GE type plot, of sorts (with the rogue friendly ex-agent the main character is going up against). Very fun.

You know, there's definitely some similarities between GE and MI2 now that you mention it, @Creasy47. Both films have a good amount of Greek mythology references in them, both protagonists meet a femme fatale type in a car race of sorts at the start, followed by a meeting at a formal event, both films start with a great stunt (except Bond is going down and Hunt is climbing up), and both end with the hero and villain having a brutal fight dressed in black tactical gear. Not super amazing connections, except for maybe the Greek mythology allusions, but it's something.

:)) I'm hopeless i know!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Like the Energizer Bunny, he keeps going and going and...

http://screenrant.com/mission-impossible-6-filming-fall-2016/
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I wish (almost) Cruise was in charge at EON
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,985
    Really enjoyed Rogue Nation. Great action and the opening stunt incredible. Loved Rebecca Ferguson in the film. She'd make a great Bond girl.

The MI films could never top Bond because Ethan Hunt isn't a particularly interesting character and they don't have that whole Bond aura that goes back so many years.

Same with Bourne. Great films but how long can a character go on trying to get his memory back?
    As much as I loved the opening stunt, I was pretty bummed that they amped it up (and essentially showed it in its entirety) in all of the trailers, and THEN they open the movie with it.
    Really enjoyed Rogue Nation. Great action and the opening stunt incredible. Loved Rebecca Ferguson in the film. She'd make a great Bond girl.

The MI films could never top Bond because Ethan Hawk isn't a particularly interesting character and they don't have that whole Bond aura that goes back so many years.

Same with Bourne. Great films but how long can a character go on trying to get his memory back?

lord-of-war-2.jpg

edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. Rebecca Ferguson was the break out star of 2015 for me. She will be in a film with another Bond girl 'must have' (Emily Blunt) later this year, called 'The Girl on the Train'. Can't wait.
    @bondjames Fergusson is also in one of my most awaited film: 'The Snowman', with Michael Fassbender, filmed in Norway by the director of 2011's 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree. Rebecca Ferguson was the break out star of 2015 for me. She will be in a film with another Bond girl 'must have' (Emily Blunt) later this year, called 'The Girl on the Train'. Can't wait.

That's one train I'd make sure never stopped.
    I didn't know that @DaltonCraig007. Thanks for letting me know. One more to get excited about. Great cast and super location too. I'm feeling a 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' nordic vibe coming on. 2017 can't come soon enough.
    bondjames wrote: »

That's one train I'd make sure never stopped.

What if you saw Eva Green waiting for another train in one of the stations? ;)