Has Mission Impossible surpassed Bond?

Comments

• Rogue Nation is a better film than Spectre, but no, overall it is not the better franchise. Nobody does it better, so on and so forth.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2015 Posts: 17,693
    Rogue Nation is a better film than Spectre

RN has better music, better action, better direction, but SPECTRE is a better movie simply because I know & care about Bond. As good (& sometimes great) as the MI movies are, I am simply not as invested in Ethan Hunt. I thrill to his heroics, but his character as created by Cruise is just too pure.
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote: »

RN has better music, better action, better direction, but SPECTRE is a better movie simply because I know & care about Bond. As good (& sometimes great) as the MI movies are, I am simply not as invested in Ethan Hunt. I thrill to his heroics, but his character as created by Cruise is just too pure.

Personally I don't think it is a better directed movie, I think SP is a far more unique vision than RN. On the second part, I agree. He's too sanitised for me. When Bond is in the Hoffler Klinik and dismisses the health shake with his, 'cut out the middle man' line, you imagine that is precisely what Hunt/Cruise would actually drink. Therein lies the difference for me.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Personally I don't think it is a better directed movie, I think SP is a far more unique vision than RN.
    Point taken, and largely agreed with. Part of the reason I enjoy QOS as well. Unique visions whilst sticking to a certain 'formula' (or portion thereof) are why this series remains fascinating.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I watched most of MI:2 yesterday for craps and giggles. I don't think its a bad film by any means and there are some aspects that are great. Maybe compared to the other films, it is just the odd one because most of it doesn't feel like an MI film. Its so completely different, especially after the first film and compared to the others that followed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I watched most of MI:2 yesterday for craps and giggles. I don't think its a bad film by any means and there are some aspects that are great. Maybe compared to the other films, it is just the odd one because most of it doesn't feel like an MI film. Its so completely different, especially after the first film and compared to the others that followed.
    I'll try and take in a watch before New Year. I haven't seen in it in almost a decade. I remember great stunts but I couldn't stand the spoiled kid emotion coming out of Dougray Scott and wasn't a fan of Thandie Newton.
    Newton's character is very passive and she becomes annoying, Scott is a great actor IMHO but he got some poor dialogue. Perhaps because it was only the second and a lack of legacy that Woo clearly felt it was OK to make a Woo film rather than carry on the great work of De Palma. A little like Dr No, with hindsight, the first director got so much right and provided a very solid foundation for the future of the franchise, if he had messed up, this thread would not exist. I am sure of that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. De Palma's film is a classic. I didn't like it at the time because it was quite unique for a spy flick, with quite a lot of character interplay for the somewhat throwaway, action oriented 90's and I was perhaps too young to enjoy it fully.

Now, it's so much fresher, because nearly every major franchise has gone in that direction since (artsy, with heavy hitter directors, misdirection in the plot, and making a major character a heel).

Definitely a film ahead of its time.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    MI2 just seems like a generic action film with the IMF thrown in. Perhaps there's not much of a team effort besides Luther. The only part of it that doesn't seem like the others is that it is indeed a straight IMF mission and we don't see Ethan go rogue at some point as we see in the other four films.
    I like MI:2 for much the same reason I like TND- just balls out action with a little romance thrown it. Excellent popcorn.
  • I don't think I could pick between Bond and MI. I love them both.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @chrisisall, right there with you: 'M:I-2' is a real fun action movie, I always enjoy it. Probably my favorite in the series, but I stand alone when I say that; everyone else seems to hate it or place it in last in their rankings.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @chrisisall, right there with you: 'M:I-2' is a real fun action movie, I always enjoy it. Probably my favorite in the series, but I stand alone when I say that; everyone else seems to hate it or place it in last in their rankings.
    @Creasy47 I'm a fan of the 60's & 70's series, so I'm not as impressed with Tom's MI series as some are, but MI:2 was a straight up Bond-like film with Hunt as James and the Bond(Hunt) girl & everything. The writing by Townsend was excellent & the cameo by Hopkins ruled. It remains my favourite MI film no matter that MI:5 was terrifically entertaining.
    For REAL MI action, I go to my 70's DVD with Mr. Phelps. :)>-
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My problems with MI-2 stems with it's such a massive departure from the first film. I don't hate it mind you but it's on the bottom for me. It ignores the original film entirely and while I don't really mind that the shift from thriller to crazy John Woo action film is really jarring to me.
    Murdock wrote: »
    My problems with MI-2 stems with it's such a massive departure from the first film. I don't hate it mind you but it's on the bottom for me. It ignores the original film entirely and while I don't really mind that the shift from thriller to crazy John Woo action film is really jarring to me.
    But the first film went NUTS at the end! The crazy Woo stuff took its cue from the bullet train flying nonsense! At least MI:2 was consistent with the tone.
    :D
    But the first film went NUTS at the end! The crazy Woo stuff took its cue from the bullet train flying nonsense! At least MI:2 was consistent with the tone.
    :D

I never thought of it like that. You are right after all and it does make a ton of sense. I guess if MI2 had a better soundtrack it would be higher up.
    I guess if MI2 had a better soundtrack it would be higher up.
    Wes, MI:2 had a great soundtrack... don't make me virtually slap you!!!
    :))
    I guess if MI2 had a better soundtrack it would be higher up.
    Wes, MI:2 had a great soundtrack... don't make me virtually slap you!!!
    :))

I had this dream recently where I was Iron Man humming the Mission Impossible theme from the beginning of Rogue Nation while Thor was fighting bad guys. Don't make me call upon the Dream Avengers. =))
    Pay attention to Picard's direction to you here...

hahahahaha
    =))
    Hahahahahahahahah!!!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,454
    Only thing you blame MI2 is that Eon try to make a simalar movie with Die Another Day (Intro of Iceland as example.) and making mistake with not asking Stuard Baid (fift editor of Mi2) but Christian Wagner. First editor of Mi2 who was correct by Baid. Wagner who did amazing job with Spy Game, but faild with DAD.

Lucky for Baid he whas ask for CR, but Sony be so stupid asking him for Vantage Point what made him not avaible for QOS. He return for Skyfall, but this time he faild too.Christian Wagner in my opnion did very good work with Man On Fire 2 years later, thanks to Tony Scott (Eon whant him as directer for QOS) and writer. Sad enough, Tony Scott making a end of his life. In my opnion Lee Smith faild with TDK (i haven't seen TDKR yet) but did good (not perfect) work with Spectre.

Mi2 was and stil is my favorite and moost expensive movie that i bought on dvd (My moost expensive BD is The Hobbit 2, but stil cheaper.). But it was my second buy on DVD. Twine was my first. For me Mi2 is My GE/Twine or Spider-Man (2002) of the Mission Impossible franchise. But i haven't watched yet on this tv. Mabey next year. Since GE i have seen every Bond movie in cinema and only first two Mission Impossible movies. I was 19 years old (2-3 weaks before my birthday) in summer 2000, yet finished with scool, liked first movie and trailers look good and price of tickets made possible to see movie with my brother and cousin. Movies be special then, those days there is to much. Only movies i have seen in cinema since Mi2 be Spider-Man and Harry Potter 2 in 2002, DAD in 2003, CR in 2007, QOS in 2008, Precious in 2009, Whatever Works in 2009, Skyfall in 2012 and Spectre in 2015.
    MI:2 had the most imperfect Hunt, ready to send a female operative into danger in the hopes he could rescue her. A snowball tossed into Hell.
    Any who don't like this movie can kiss my freckled butt. :D
  • chrisisall wrote: »

I'm not disrespecting your opinion, but the fact that you "know and care about Bond" has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the film.

I need to rewatch both, to be fair. Obviously, as a massive Bond fan, I agree about Bond being a way more interesting and fun character to watch. Hunt is a bit too pure, but I think there's some thrill in that as well, just not as much.
    I still think MI:2 is the worst by far. Shame on Woo

The problem wasn't Woo. His direction was top-notch as usual. The problem was the screenplay written by Bruce Geller and Ronald D. Moore, who made an ill-conceived attempt to remake the love story from Hitchcock's 1946 movie, "NOTORIOUS". Cruise, Thandie Newton and Dougary Scott tried to rise above it, but the screenplay prevented it.
    DRush76 wrote: »
    I still think MI:2 is the worst by far. Shame on Woo

The problem wasn't Woo. His direction was top-notch as usual. The problem was the screenplay written by Bruce Geller and Ronald D. Moore, who made an ill-conceived attempt to remake the love story from Hitchcock's 1946 movie, "NOTORIOUS". Cruise, Thandie Newton and Dougary Scott tried to rise above it, but the screenplay prevented it.
    Oh tosh- it worked perfectly well for what it was.
    BTW, the story was by Moore & Braga, the screenplay was by Robert Towne (all the really clever stuff was his).
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Maybe he means Bond is a more interesting protagonist, which is true.
    I like the MI films, but no way have they surpassed Bond, even if some Bond films don't quite hit the mark. Anyone here who thinks MI is better, will be put on the list for termination. :D
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2016 Posts: 7,998
    Without a doubt Bond is the more iconic and culturally relevant of the two central characters but over the period of 5 films Ethan Hunt has been become a very well rounded, interesting character. This is due, in no small part, to Cruise's commitment to the series and character.
    Sark wrote: »
    Maybe he means Bond is a more interesting protagonist, which is true.
    Certainly.