Has Mission Impossible surpassed Bond?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RE: that airplane scene in MI-RN, the really thrilling part for me was not Cruise hanging onto the outside of plane (although that was great), but rather how he ended up inside the plane at the end of the sequence. It sure looked like him who somersaulted in and hit his head against the plane interior wall, and it looked pretty scary. I'm not sure if that was CGI or not but it impressed me both times I saw the film in the theatre.

I watched TLD recently and was so impressed with that final air fight between Necros and Bond (apart from the netting problem which I discussed on another thread) - it's obvious where they got the inspiration for that MI-RN scene. Glen sure knew how to film aerial sequences with stuntmen really well. There was a similar scary part in that scene too, when the stuntman is hanging onto the netting which is flapping up and down and about (post-Necros fall) and you think he's going to bang his head on the ramp.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    RE: that airplane scene in MI-RN, the really thrilling part for me was not Cruise hanging onto the outside of plane (although that was great), but rather how he ended up inside the plane at the end of the sequence. It sure looked like him who somersaulted in and hit his head against the plane interior wall, and it looked pretty scary. I'm not sure if that was CGI or not but it impressed me both times I saw the film in the theatre.

I watched TLD recently and was so impressed with that final air fight between Necros and Bond (apart from the netting problem which I discussed on another thread) - it's obvious where they got the inspiration for that MI-RN scene. Glen sure knew how to film aerial sequences with stuntmen really well. There was a similar scary part in that scene too, when the stuntman is hanging onto the netting which is flapping up and down and about (post-Necros fall) and you think he's going to bang his head on the ramp.

True ..and just about every cargo plane sequence after TLD from DAD to RN reminds of the TLD original.

Ditto for the MR freefall and the OP climax.
    Here's a short clip of Cruise prepping for that plane scene and you can see the straps that secure him to the side of the plane. This actually seems more thrilling than the actual scene in the film, because you can really hear the plane engine unedited.

Cruise is nuts.
    What does Hunt drink? What's his favourite meal? How about the villains in M:I? Oh and what about the source material? Is there anything left from it in the M:I movies?

The day Ethan Hunt can keep me interested ordering a breakfast of figs and yogurt I'd say yes maybe he reached Bond. But this is unlikely to happen: Hunt has no time for breakfast. He's busy doing all these cool stunts. I like my hero to be cool when he drinks coffee.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    How was the action in DN? Bond are spy movies first. Same with M:I in its original form actually: it was based on suspense and manipulation not big loud action.

Exactly. I get aggravated by this missed point often. I prefer to think of Bond films as adventure stories or thrillers (as in the novels and early films) rather than action movies (Brosnan Era). I don't care for them to be compared and contrasted to Marvel movies, Batman movies, etc. That's slumming. Bond films were originally aimed at adults, and with the Craig Era, we've mostly gotten back to that.
    Precisely. Which is why I say let Hunt have the big action & have Bond do more actual undercover spy work. With some action as a desert, not the main meal.

I don't think that anyone is arguing the opposite, for Bond to become a wall-to-wall action franchise like it almost did during the 1990s. But, if EON isn't going to scale back these massive action set pieces (which I wish they would, as it would better serve the franchise for them to do so), then why not have those action set pieces (not the entire film, just the set pieces) rival the quality of other franchises who are doing similar set pieces better?

Just because I don't go to see a Bond film for the action doesn't mean that, when the action is served up, that I'm willing to accept a lesser standard because that's not what the focus of the film is. As much as I like Spectre, that car chase was an embarrassment. Now, I don't know what the were and were not allowed to do with regards to their agreement with Roman officials and/or their agreement and/or supply with Aston Martin would allow them to do in that sequence, but it did not come off well. Just because I don't go to see Bond simply for car chases and other action sequences doesn't mean that, when they feel the need to shoehorn one of them into the film, that I'm going to be willing to sit in the audience and think to myself "Well, this isn't really what Bond is supposed to be about, therefore I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's not as good as [insert name of film here]".

If they're going to insist on doing this over-the-top action (i.e. plane/car chases, etc.) in the Bond films, then it should be good. Again, I'd much, much prefer that they scaled it back, took the franchise back to something closer to the early days of Dr. No and From Russia With Love, but short of that, I don't think that it's asking too much, nor do I think it's blasphemous, to ask EON to up their game, especially when other franchises around them, that are selling a similar product, are doing it much better.

What does Hunt drink? What's his favourite meal? How about the villains in M:I? Oh and what about the source material? Is there anything left from it in the M:I movies?

The day Ethan Hunt can keep me interested ordering a breakfast of figs and yogurt I'd say yes maybe he reached Bond. But this is unlikely to happen: Hunt has no time for breakfast. He's busy doing all these cool stunts. I like my hero to be cool when he drinks coffee.
    I don't recall the figs, breakfast, yoghurt, or anything even remotely as interesting in the last two installments of Bond films. In fact, Bond mentions a 'bloody big ship' or something to that effect in SF when looking at art. It is Q who suggests refinement.

We're not really debating the history of Bond vs. Hunt here (although the thread title may suggest as much). That's a clear win for Bond and not even worth discussing.

It's more about the execution of the premise in the last two film installments of both franchises, which is a much closer discussion.
    dalton wrote: »
    Again, I'd much, much prefer that they scaled it back, took the franchise back to something closer to the early days of Dr. No and From Russia With Love,.....
    Or CR even.
    Craig has been seen drinking, eating and ordering in his movies though. That's my point. And I'm not even talking of refinement: his line about the ship was I think a good one rejecting snobbery. And my point stands: Hunt has not even started getting at the same level as Bond. He's a cipher for Tom Cruise.
    Craig has been seen drinking, eating and ordering in his movies though. That's my point. And I'm not even talking of refinement: his line about the ship was I think a good one rejecting snobbery. And my point stands: Hunt has not even started getting at the same level as Bond. He's a cipher for Tom Cruise.
    I agree with you if we're talking about the history and legacy of Bond vs. Hunt. I don't think that's the point though. That's Bond all the way. I don't think there's anyone on this thread who says Bond is not superior as a franchise to MI.

What we're really focused on is the last two cinematic installments, what they've attempted to achieve, and how well they've gone about doing it. I think you really have to see them first and then we can have a more detailed discussion.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,631
    I agree with you if we're talking about the history and legacy of Bond vs. Hunt. I don't think that's the point though. That's Bond all the way. I don't think there's anyone on this thread who says Bond is not superior as a franchise to MI.

What we're really focused on is the last two cinematic installments, what they've attempted to achieve, and how well they've gone about doing it. I think you really have to see them first and then we can have a more detailed discussion.

Very much agreed.

This one time around, Spectre vs Rogue Nation, I think the decision goes to Cruise. Just this one time around. Skyfall wiped the floor with Ghost Protocol and the Bond films released alongside or in close proximity to M:I-1-3 were generally superior.

RN and SP are very similar films, but RN's script is more focused and does a better job of showing the audience what is going on rather than telling the audience, as SP does constantly. The action set pieces in RN are also, as I already stated, significantly better than those found in SP. It's obvious from watching SP that there were too many cooks in the kitchen, and the film suffered for it, even though it does stand as an enjoyable entry in the franchise.

patb wrote: »
    The recent discussion re Bond being an action movie or not is the perfect example re a lack of consensus re what a Bond movie should be. The franchise recently has been pulled in multiple directions - more action, grittier action, more emotion/love, reboots, old villains etc etc, every time a new movie comes out, we see the same discussion where the actual core of the topic is "what do we actually want Bond to be?", and the producers dont seem to have a long term plan with the directors/writers bringing in their own input and changing core values from one movie to the next. Re the gen public, their expectations need to be managed concerning exactly what to expect from a Bond movie. I don't think the public like surprises, they want to book their tickets knowing exactly what they are going to get in terms of genre and values. With MI, Hunt and his team deliver what the punters expect every time and I am not convinced you can make the same statement concerning Bond in recent years.
    I agree with you on the whole, @patb, except your last statement. While M:I does deliver at the moment, it was only with the last two films that the franchise really found a solid stride. 1 was very cool, but 2 nearly was the end of it. 3 is due to Cruise´s stubbornness, and found some footing. 4 I think suprised a lot of people, because most people probably didn´t expect it to be that good. 5 shows a franchise in full gear.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Good discussion here,
    I would say to those that point to the legacy of Bond, if the franchise relies on that rather than the quality of the latest (and future) release, there maybe trouble ahead. Bond fans like the heritage and detail but, IMHO, it means far less to Jo Public who judge it more on the entertainment value whilst in the cinema. New generations have been brought up with MI (and Cruise) as part of their culture as Bond. Bond and Hunt were both around when my sons were born and they like them equally. (the whole Connery era has no meaning to them at all). Do the books and decades of history mean much to teenagers? I dont think so. I see that the next MI is already signed up with consistancy re script, director and main cast. The Bond team cant keep playing with the formula , it will become tiresome to jo public , IMHO
    Re boldfingers point about the varying MI quality, these are down largely to directors styles (2 was relatively poor I agree) but Hunt is always Hunt. Look at the variation in Craig's Bond within the different movies. There are styles of dialogue that he says in one movie that you would not recognise being said in another. In one he is a newby/green beginner, 2 movies later, he is an old codger being taken off to the scrap yard. As fans, these different styles are good to discuss and contrast but we never had that within the SC or RM era and, as a "brand" it leads to confusion and inconsistancy from jo public's perspective. THE key variable in the Bond cocktail is Bond himself. Recently, it seems as if we don't know which Bond will turn up. When you went to see a SC Bond, he was Bond, pure and simple. It was simply never a variable within the equation (although DAF did get a little silly)
    Good discussion here,
    I would say to those that point to the legacy of Bond, if the franchise relies on that rather than the quality of the latest (and future) release, there maybe trouble ahead. Bond fans like the heritage and detail but, IMHO, it means far less to Jo Public who judge it more on the entertainment value whilst in the cinema. New generations have been brought up with MI (and Cruise) as part of their culture as Bond. Bond and Hunt were both around when my sons were born and they like them equally. (the whole Connery era has no meaning to them at all). Do the books and decades of history mean much to teenagers? I dont think so. I see that the next MI is already signed up with consistancy re script, director and main cast. The Bond team cant keep playing with the formula , it will become tiresome to jo public , IMHO
    Re boldfingers point about the varying MI quality, these are down largely to directors styles (2 was relatively poor I agree) but Hunt is always Hunt. Look at the variation in Craig's Bond within the different movies. There are styles of dialogue that he says in one movie that you would not recognise being said in another. In one he is a newby/green beginner, 2 movies later, he is an old codger being taken off to the scrap yard. As fans, these different styles are good to discuss and contrast but we never had that within the SC or RM era and, as a "brand" it leads to confusion and inconsistancy from jo public's perspective. THE key variable in the Bond cocktail is Bond himself. Recently, it seems as if we don't know which Bond will turn up. When you went to see a SC Bond, he was Bond, pure and simple. It was simply never a variable within the equation (although DAF did get a little silly)

A lot of really good points here, @patb

With regards to the legacy issue, I think that's a problem that has plagued the franchise since the new regime took over, but really got kicked into overdrive with Die Another Day. It's just a nonstop parade of references at this point. That's OK for an anniversary film (but less so when the distance between films grows larger, as there's less films between the anniversary films), but they're making those a huge part of every film. With all of the problems with the script for Spectre, they relied far too heavily on references and call-backs, hoping to appease the audience with those since there was an excruciatingly weak story on display.

Eventually, though, they're going to run out of things to call-back to. If EON doesn't start creating their own unique moments from film to film, then we'll be seeing filmmakers on the 50th and 75th anniversaries making call-backs to moments in the current films that were themselves call-backs to the early days of the franchise. The reboot was supposed to be an opportunity to really reset everything (kind of the point of a reboot) and build something new, but all of that got chucked by the wayside a measly two films in.

Despite what EON would like to think, their current films firmly fit in the action genre. The set pieces are usually gigantic, bigger than what you'd see in a lot of your prototypical action films. There's nothing wrong with that, but if that's the direction that they want to go, then embrace it and do it well. The action in Spectre is decidedly poor, with the plane and car chases lacking any impact whatsoever. While the Mission: Impossible films have basically become a straight-up action franchise, and therefore the emphasis is often on the action, there's no reason that Bond can't aim for the heights that Tom Cruise and company achieve in their own action set pieces while not seeking to resemble Cruise's franchise in the other aspects. Bond should continue to be a more well-defined character than Ethan Hunt, drawing upon as much of Fleming's characterization of him as possible, but if EON is going to continue to emulate the other big-budget action franchises of the time (Batman, Bourne, and so on), then the least that they could do is do a good job of emulating those things.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Well, here's the thing - even if MI: RN is better then SP, that hardly means that the MI series has surpassed the Bond series.

I still preferred Spectre, but some of the action scenes did feel decidedly undernourished, regrettably. MI came off as the stronger action film, if anything.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well, here's the thing - even if MI: RN is better then SP, that hardly means that the MI series has surpassed the Bond series.

I still preferred Spectre, but some of the action scenes did feel decidedly undernourished, regrettably. MI came off as the stronger action film, if anything.

But there's no official saying in which is better; it all boils down to your own opinion. I love both, and feel no need to compare one or the other or say which I do or don't like more. I'll buy SP on blu-ray, I already own RN on blu-ray, and I'll watch and enjoy both, time and time again.

Why narrow yourself to two installments though? How about taking Craig's Bonds as a whole and Cruise's MI movies as a whole? In any case, they are both from a certain source and you can (and IMO should) compare it to the source material as well. Which is where the M:I movies fail.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Creasy47 wrote: »

But there's no official saying in which is better; it all boils down to your own opinion. I love both, and feel no need to compare one or the other or say which I do or don't like more. I'll buy SP on blu-ray, I already own RN on blu-ray, and I'll watch and enjoy both, time and time again.

Of course, but my point is - regardless of what you feel is the stronger film, this is just another chapter in the series. Perhaps in the upcoming sequels, Bond will be stronger than MI in your opinion or vice versa. Just one film's superiority over another does nothing to establish the superiority of the franchise, which is why "surpassed" is an incorrect term, IMO.

Of course, but my point is - regardless of what you feel is the stronger film, this is just another chapter in the series. Perhaps in the upcoming sequels, Bond will be stronger than MI in your opinion or vice versa. Just one film's superiority over another does nothing to establish the superiority of the franchise, which is why "surpassed" is an incorrect term, IMO.

I agree, I never made that point, though. It all comes down to personal preference.
    Edit
    Not sure what happened. I hate mobile devices.
    Not sure what happened. I hate mobile devices.

You and I both. Posting on this site on my iPhone is a total gamble: sometimes it works flawlessly, other times it refuses to entirely.

Why narrow yourself to two installments though? How about taking Craig's Bonds as a whole and Cruise's MI movies as a whole? In any case, they are both from a certain source and you can (and IMO should) compare it to the source material as well. Which is where the M:I movies fail.
    The MI films have taken elements from the tv show and expanded on them. They've had to do that in order to make it acceptable for today's audiences. The same goes for Bond, which has been adjusted and modified for today's age and audience while retaining some basic elements. Bond is also trapped by its 50 year cinematic history (in some cases more so than it is by the novels), something which MI does not have. They've both fiddled with the source material, so for me that's neither here nor there. I would think the majority of the public know MI for the Cruise films these days more than they do for the tv show. I would say the same goes for James Bond (films more than novels).

I found the last two MI films to be extremely enjoyable action films, with great teamwork & rapport between the IMF members (more so than in previous installments). They were first and foremost MI films, but MI-RN, in addition to the above, was also a great thriller as well, with quite a few Bondian elements in it.

I suggest you give the last two a watch, and then let's discuss.
    Good discussion here,
    Good point.

Also, you remind me, considering franchise vs franchise, that Bond´s future was in the stars after LTK, and the IMO most valuable heritage was there already. Since GE, Eon managed to make more and more money, at the cost of a clear direction.

I don´t understand. How do Bond films, which took hardly more than titles and names from novels, fail or don´t fail?

The thing is, the M:I franchise is on the rise right now. For how long, nobody knows.
    The Bond franchise, heritage being heritage, meanders right now. For how long, nobody knows. Bond has pulled itself out of deep sh*t more than once, and the experiments of Eon V2.0 payed off more often than not. If I were to view the Bond franchise via the internet after TMWTGG, I would write it off immediately. After LTK, it was more written off than not. If for some reason Cruise should age in the coming year and lose his breath in the next M:I film, the public will remember not more than two or three successful M:I films. But right now, M:I films are tighter and make more sense as entertainment than Bond films.

That´s why I wrote some pages back that Bond subpassed M:I :ar! .

Bond is also trapped by its 50 year cinematic history (in some cases more so than it is by the novels),
    CR, while adapting a lot from the source novel, was very free from the franchise´ history, and it provided a huge financial basis to keep going. In fact, CR and QoS managed the marvellous feat of establishing a completely new Bond character. They had something very strong to build on further. Noone knows why they didn´t do that.

Its a very interesting thread. Re MI and surviving beyond Cruise, I am struggling to think of a precedent or similar example. Sometimes, talented people can turn a weakness into a strength: a setback into an opportunity. Unlike Bond being a different actor, it should be easier for the audience to accept a change of leadership for the IMF team. It also relies on Cruise at a personal level accepting that he cant play the role forever and supplying goodwill in working on new leadership. But there are creative opportunities there, especially with the new level of emotional connections within the team.
    PS Am I looking too deeply but is there a little dig at Bond within RN when Renner and Rhames start bickering about why they are doing a car chase in a Land Rover (its a cream long wheel base version that we see Bond using in SF), its a tiny piece of dialogue but a great example of how the characters/team dynamic have developed.
  • RC7RC7

I agree, I never made that point, though. It all comes down to personal prefe
    Its a very interesting thread. Re MI and surviving beyond Cruise, I am struggling to think of a precedent or similar example. Sometimes, talented people can turn a weakness into a strength: a setback into an opportunity. Unlike Bond being a different actor, it should be easier for the audience to accept a change of leadership for the IMF team. It also relies on Cruise at a personal level accepting that he cant play the role forever and supplying goodwill in working on new leadership. But there are creative opportunities there, especially with the new level of emotional connections within the team.
    PS Am I looking too deeply but is there a little dig at Bond within RN when Renner and Rhames start bickering about why they are doing a car chase in a Land Rover (its a cream long wheel base version that we see Bond using in SF), its a tiny piece of dialogue but a great example of how the characters/team dynamic have developed.
    In the context of M:I continuing without Cruise: I find a certain correlation between M:I being more a team play than a Cruise solo show, and the success of the films. So there´s a good chance the franchise could be turned fully towards a team theme (which anyhow was what made the tv series so popular. Cruise is already one of the producers, he could keep producing them until he falls from a horse or something, that way he could possibly keep the steam on.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,980
    I think some are applying the word "surpassed" too universally when comparing these two series. Going back to the initial post, the question posed is, "Has Mission: Impossible Gotten Better Than James Bond?" for me this does not mean in total but here and now. I am much more of a James Bond fan than a Mission Impossible fan. Ethan Hunt is a fun character, and Cruise gives his all in each film, but he is never going to be as iconic a figure as 007. In 500 years MI will be an obscure memory but Bond will still be remembered as a classic literary and cinematic figure. With all of that said, I do think the last 3 MI films are stronger than the last 3 Bonds.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The great thing about competition, is that it forces everyone to
    up their game ! :)
    I just watched MI-RN & MI-GP back to back yesterday. This is the first time I've seen the former since the theatre, and hence also since watching SP. The viewing has solidified my view that MI-RN is the superior film this year, and actually I think it is much better. Not even close. I have a habit of fiddling with my notebook or Pad when watching films at home, and I had the latter switched on yesterday, but couldn't tear away from the film. From start to finish it held my attention, completely and thoroughly.

-While I enjoyed both, I am now of the opinion that RN is the best MI film, and superior to GP.
    -After my first watch in the theatre I thought GP was still better and I know why now. It's because the earlier film has a few more standout sequences, like the Dubai skyscraper & India indoor parking garage, as well as Budapest. It also seems to have a little more scale & scope, with the nuclear plot. However, on a back to back viewing (and I hadn't seen it in years, so it was still fresh) it came across a little dull and listless overall compared to the new film. I'd compare it to watching MR & then watching OP, with the latter film being the more exciting one, despite the larger scale of the former.
    -RN is just so much more engaging and thrilling, with no dead spots.

The key winners.
    -McQuarrie is a brilliant director for this franchise and I'm glad they have him back for 6. He really knows how to direct the action and also get the most out of all his actors. I think he did a better job than Brad Bird on GP, although both were very good.
    -humour is pitch perfect throughout. Superb
    -the Turandot Opera sequence is an incredible piece of direction. Obviously inspired by the Tosca sequence in QoS, I think it far surpasses it. Almost operatic/ balletic itself in the way it is filmed.
    -Cruise has improved tremendously in the role since the earlier films. He appeared smug and a little conceited in the first two in particular and overly emotional/animated in the third. Since GP however, he has demonstrated a little maturity and restraint, while still giving off the trademark bravado. Moreover, there is a weariness to his characterization now that is welcome.
    -Ferguson is marvelous. I just couldn't take my eyes off her. Not only is she beautiful, but she is completely believable as a British spy equivalent of Hunt.
    -Alec Baldwin was a master stroke casting decision. He gives the film a necessary gravitas that was missing from GP.
    -The nasal voiced Sean Harris is great as Lane. Superb. Much better on the small screen and suitably cold hearted without overplaying it. I actually want him to return in MI-6.
    -teamwork. As has been mentioned, they've got this down perfectly now, and every one of the gang contributes without overshadowing or being annoying.
    -characterizations - very good in both but better in RN.I was fully invested in all of the characters from the start.
    -score. Joe Kraemer is a genius. He pulled in aspects of the TV show score along with Lalo's signature tune itself. Get this man for Bond please - he knows what he's doing

I realized when watching it that Cruise will likely sign off with MI6, which means he would have been playing Hunt almost throughout the entire tenures of two long serving Bond actors, namely Brosnan & Craig. That is a notable achievement.

MI-RN is a marvelous creation and will be a challenge to top.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Good discussion here,
    Good point.
    Yes, those are good points @patb, particularly about 'brand' and 'style consistency'. Sorry I didn't read your post earlier
    In the context of M:I continuing without Cruise: I find a certain correlation between M:I being more a team play than a Cruise solo show, and the success of the films. So there´s a good chance the franchise could be turned fully towards a team theme (which anyhow was what made the tv series so popular. Cruise is already one of the producers, he could keep producing them until he falls from a horse or something, that way he could possibly keep the steam on.
    Yes, that is true and I think they could indeed do this going forward post-Cruise, i.e. make it more of a full-on team oriented vehicle.

On my rewatch yesterday, it's clear that Cruise is still the driving force and has more charisma than all the other actors put together, but they could still do it, even with Cruise only in a supporting role - he could come in from time to time to support the action without being the key man, but they will need someone more charismatic than Renner to anchor it imho.
    Bond is also trapped by its 50 year cinematic history (in some cases more so than it is by the novels),
    CR, while adapting a lot from the source novel, was very free from the franchise´ history, and it provided a huge financial basis to keep going. In fact, CR and QoS managed the marvellous feat of establishing a completely new Bond character. They had something very strong to build on further. Noone knows why they didn´t do that.
    I suspect it was because of the tepid reaction to QoS. The first two were made during the Bourne resurgence which ended in 2007 and took EON in a more fundamental and realistic direction.

As has been mentioned elsewhere including on this board, I think Nolan's massive success with TDK, released in the same year as QoS, caused EON to reposition their reboot. Mendes was a fan too, and that led to SF. SP in turn has certainly borrowed elements from TDKR (author of pain / brother in shadows rather than League of Shadows etc.) but without the same detail in characterizations that there was in SF, nor the consistency in tone and characterization which was there in TDK/TDKR either, to its considerable detriment imho.

Ultimately, the overall direction of the franchise going forward depends on the scope and vision of the producers, and I sure hope they sit down and figure it out soon.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    For me, the 3 movies this past year that thrilled me from the very first seconds: Rogue Nation with the best rendition of the M:I theme I've heard, The Force Awakens with the Theme Song playing full blast, and SP with the gunbarrel back at the start.

I really, really enjoyed both RN and SP and I will most probably wear out my bluray disc of both films due to rewatching them on a constant basis.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    On my rewatch yesterday, it's clear that Cruise is still the driving force and has more charisma than all the other actors put together, but they could still do it, even with Cruise. He could come in from time to time to support the action without being the key man, but they will need someone more charismatic than Renner to anchor it.
    As for Renner´s charisma, I think he carried The Hurt Locker just fine, being kind of a perfect blend of Daniel Craig´s badassery and Jim Belushi´s big mouth (beside looking like their little brother). In M:I, espacially in RN, he wasn´t much put in the front to begin with.
    I suspect it was because of the tepid reaction to QoS. The first two were made during the Bourne resurgence which ended in 2007 and took EON in a more fundamental and realistic direction.

As has been mentioned elsewhere including on this board, I think Nolan's massive success with TDK, released in the same year as QoS, caused EON to reposition their reboot. Mendes was a fan too, and that led to SF. SP in turn has certainly borrowed elements from TDKR (author of pain / brother in shadows rather than League of Shadows etc.) but without the same detail in characterizations that there was in SF, nor the consistency in tone and characterization which was there in TDK/TDKR, to its considerable detriment imho.

Ultimately, the overall direction of the franchise going forward depends on the scope and vision of the producers, and I sure hope they sit down and figure it out soon.
    I agree with all you say, and I hope that Eon were just dumbfounded and scared by the billion SF made, and got shook awake by how SP turned out.

I wonder how much or on which level the public reaction to QoS scared Eon so much that they dropped so many elements they could have easily continued with. All the public cried about was the editing of QoS. I can understand that they left out Quantum for the time being, because Joe Public hears the word and thinks of QoS, not good, I get that. But still, they could have continued with the character they so well crafted in CR and QoS, given him a proper Bond mission, publicized on every occasion that the new film was longer and not speed-cut, and everything would have been fine IMO. Especially since TDK, which seems to have been the main motivation for SF, shows off such grand Bond action pieces. QoS was anyhow constructed as a one-off, Bond´s character development had taken a clear shape by the end of QoS, everyone was just waiting for Bond to get down to business again.
    They missed the opportunity of a proper re-boot. Regardless of SP being a good or bad film, we´re back on Brosnan territory. Which is basically no harm, because the biggest flaw I see in that era is Brosnan´s trying too hard, whereas Craig owns the films with seemingly incredible ease. But what was the re-boot for then?

For me, the 3 movies this past year that thrilled me from the very first seconds: Rogue Nation with the best rendition of the M:I theme I've heard, The Force Awakens with the Theme Song playing full blast, and SP with the gunbarrel back at the start.
    I don´t want to sound overly negative, but I found it a bit inadequate to start the film with the gun barrell, and then not have the white spot moving down and to the side. The white spot could have then opened on the "The Dead are alive" text.