Has Mission Impossible surpassed Bond?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    bondjames wrote: »
    I enjoyed MI:3 at first, actually saw it twice in two days opening weekend. I haven't seen it in awhile as well. I did enjoy the Vatican scene and looking back on it, it looks like they wanted to choose the safe route after MI:2. But what lacks is the lack of break in during which Hunt steals the rabbit foot. I think a few minutes of watching a suspenseful break-in scene could have had it better IMO.
    Yes, that part is strange. They go through all that effort to showcase the rooftop breakin but then don't show anything once he gets into the facility. I think maybe they didn't want it to draw too many memories to the scene in MI2 when Hunt breaks into the Biocyte site (where Nyah injects herself with the virus).

I guess since they had already used up their heist sequence with the Vatican scene, they didn't have time to do another. Only one per film I guess.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I enjoyed MI:3 at first, actually saw it twice in two days opening weekend. I haven't seen it in awhile as well. I did enjoy the Vatican scene and looking back on it, it looks like they wanted to choose the safe route after MI:2. But what lacks is the lack of break in during which Hunt steals the rabbit foot. I think a few minutes of watching a suspenseful break-in scene could have had it better IMO.
    Yes, that part is strange. They go through all that effort to showcase the rooftop breakin but then don't show anything once he gets into the facility. I think maybe they didn't want it to draw too many memories to the scene in MI2 when Hunt breaks into the Biocyte site (where Nyah injects herself with the virus).

I guess since they had already used up their heist sequence with the Vatican scene, they didn't have time to do another. Only one per film I guess.
    That's a good point. You're probably right.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm a big fan of MI:3; It really works for me. At heart, I am still a Bond fan. The thing is, particularly when talking about the last three MI films, it frustrating to see these incredible sequences thinking ' I wish that was in a Bond film. Yes, I know that the Bond films are not "action movies" but the set pieces in the recent MI films are so well done and fit into the story so well, that I want to see the same for 007. Throughout the Opera scene in MI:RN I found myself thinking, ' this would be even more fantastic with Craig as Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of MI:3; It really works for me. At heart, I am still a Bond fan. The thing is, particularly when talking about the last three MI films, it frustrating to see these incredible sequences thinking ' I wish that was in a Bond film. Yes, I know that the Bond films are not "action movies" but the set pieces in the recent MI films are so well done and fit into the story so well, that I want to see the same for 007. Throughout the Opera scene in MI:RN I found myself thinking, ' this would be even more fantastic with Craig as Bond.

I much prefer the QoS Opera sequence.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

I much prefer the QoS Opera sequence.
    The QoS sequence is great and obviously inspired MI-RN (although I've read elswhere that it was inspired by Alfred Hitchock's 2nd version of The Man Who Knew Too Much).

I prefer the Mi-RN scene. It is a masterful piece of directing. Pitch perfect.
    Ah, that's why ice cream comes in many flavors ;)
    I think that, while the Rogue Nation opera scene is clearly inspired by Quantum of Solace, it's hard to compare them beyond simply saying that one inspired the other because the two scenes are seeking to accomplish two very different things.

The Rogue Nation scene is essentially a set-piece within the film. It's not as big as the car/motorcycle chase or the plane stunt at the beginning of the film, but at the same time it's a more low-key action sequence.

The Tosca scene in Quantum of Solace is really more about exposition of the story, getting Bond in the same room with Quantum for the first time and having the audience, and Bond, discover some of the key members of the organization and how everything that we've seen so far is fitting together.

I enjoy both scenes quite a bit. The Tosca scene is one of the best scenes in the Bond franchise as far as I'm concerned, and the Rogue Nation opera scene is very thrilling and entertaining in its own rite.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I enjoyed the RN opera sequence better than QOS's. Maybe because it was longer and more elaborate.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    QOS is better than ANY MI film. B-)
    I must be the only one who really enjoyed Mission Impossible 2. Two hours of pure, mindless, loud and epic entertainment. Very dumb compared to Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation but oh so fun.
    Pure, mindless, loud and epic entertainment is not dumb, but for me Thandie Newton doesn´t work, even though I found her very loveable in interviews from the same time period. If I could relate more to the relationship between Hunt and her I´d probably watch the film on a regular basis. The way the motorbikes fight with each other like dogs is pure bliss, and I don´t know how long I still have to practice until I can kick the sand horizontally and the gun comes jumping up vertically into my hand...

I liked MI:2 a lot.
    One thing though, music is so integral to a film, why is it that the MI movies have had excellent music all along, but SF & SP were such bland throwaway scores???
    Its interesting that there is so much overlap here. Within the other thread regarding future plots for the next Bond, some of them could work equally well with MI. For example, NASA (therefore the US gov) stake in the private sector space race. Hunt and the team involved in rocket launches provides great potential.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I liked MI:2 a lot.
    One thing though, music is so integral to a film, why is it that the MI movies have had excellent music all along, but SF & SP were such bland throwaway scores???
    I thought MI:2's soundtrack stunk but I agree, Every Mission: Impossible movie aside from 2 has a great score and it's because the Composers adapted previously established themes from the original 60's series. The MI theme and "The Plot" are used heavily through the films where as Bond films since CR have used it less and less and pretty much save it for the End credits which freaking sucks.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I thought MI:2's soundtrack stunk
    giphy-facebook_s.jpg
    I thought MI:2's soundtrack stunk
    giphy-facebook_s.jpg

It was just Zimmer's typical stuff with electric guitars. Didn't suit me.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,993
    At this point these are the two top dogs of the spy franchises. One wonders how closely they watch to see what the other is doing. MI:6 is gearing up for a start next summer. Cruise and Company are not wasting any time.
    But the MI theme was all over the place, and THAT'S mainly what I liked about it.
    =D>
    But the MI theme was all over the place, and THAT'S mainly what I liked about it.
    =D>
    I didn't really care for the way Zimmer adapted the MI theme. It was too "Rock" heavy. The MI theme is suited to a more traditional orchestral approach.
    I didn't really care for the way Zimmer adapted the MI theme. It was too "Rock" heavy. The MI theme is suited to a more traditional orchestral approach.

I'll take rock heavy over disco any day...

Cowbell doesn't = Disco. ;)
    Still one of my favorite gunbarrels though.

Think of it this way, What if a random Star wars movie had an opening text crawl with a heavy metal remix of the Star Wars theme? :))

This is one of my favourite interpretations of the GB (along with LTK, GE & LALD - interestingly all non-Barry). Cowbells baby.
    Cowbells baby.

Okay, it's not bad at all really, I was just trying to make my point (& failing miserably). :-??
    Did someone say more cowbells?

I like Zimmermusic, so sue me. Broken Arrow, MI:2, Pirates... at his worst he's better than Newman for action scores!
    My favorite Zimmer score is Black Rain but that was 1989, he's never been able to top that masterpiece.
    I don't mind Zimmer. Angels and Demons rocks. So does Batman Begins, TDK & the 2nd Sherlock Holmes film.

Only the scores for TDKR & Interstellar seemed a bit excessive, oddly, like the films.

I can't remember anything about the MI2 score except some Spanish guitar in that scene in the beginning which sort of evokes the GF pretitles (bathtub). I must give it a rewatch soon.
    It was the direction that had a negative impact on MI2 for me, the cast and basic concept were fine, but Woo's style dominates the film, not subtle IMHO
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,107
    Zimmer´s scores are way more memorable than what Newman has done for the last two scores.
    My favorite Zimmer score is Black Rain but that was 1989, he's never been able to top that masterpiece.
    Ahhh yes, that might be his best... :)>-
    I can't remember anything about the MI2 score except some Spanish guitar in that scene in the beginning which sort of evokes the GF pretitles (bathtub). I must give it a rewatch soon.
    I love the soundtrack to MI:2 perhaps more than the actual movie itself.
  • RC7RC7
    Zimmer is incredible and a thoroughly nice bloke, incidentally. What he did for the Joker in TDK was superb. If only Newman could have done something similar for ESB.