Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

1474849505153»

Comments

• @IncompetentHenchman - FYEO worse than AVTAK? AVTAK recycled OP's theme, which TLD did again when it came along. FYEO has one of the most exciting tunes. I remember when I watched it in '81 - the gunbarrel theme inspired immediate excitement in me.

TLD does indeed recycle from OP, but my understanding was that AVTAK's is different. I like FYEO's but it has a big technical error in that it doesn't segue properly.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 337
    Murdock wrote: »
    Actually it wasn't recycled at all It's just a rearrangement of Barry's symphonic Bond theme style. It's similar but not the same. OP's is slow and powerful, AVTAK's is faster and has more dominant clarinets and TLD is very similar to OP's though less powerful drums. Listen to the 3 of theme side by side. You can tell the differences.

Well, you can definitely tell that AVTAK is a faster version of the other two, and OP is probably the most distinguishable out of the three. But if you listen to AVTAK and TLD side by side, you get the impression that AVTAK is just a faster TLD. The most noticeable difference with AVTAK for me is the zooming in.

TLD does indeed recycle from OP, but my understanding was that AVTAK's is different. I like FYEO's but it has a big technical error in that it doesn't segue properly.

I don't recall that. I know the TSWLM/MR ones have the gunshot sound effect played after the blood wash in some versions, but not FYEO.

Besides, Roger's worst gunbarrel on my 2002 Ultimate James Bond DVD Collection is Live And Let Die. Once the blood wash comes down it looks like a painting and you can hardly even see the gunbarrel or Bond at all.
  • Well @stun_harvesting is that it doesn't segue at all, the iris moves into the centre and looks as if it will expand naturally to open up the scene, but doesn't, it just automatically flashes into the next scene. That's what I mean when I say it doesn't segue properly. But you are right about the TSWLM/MR gunshot.

LALD and TMWTGG automatically have the worst because I realise now that Moore pretty much misses the gunbarrel. So LALD's is probably the definite worst from Moore. But I don't like how AVTAK's is zoomed in either.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 337
    @IncompetentHenchman - I think they were trying to make it unique by putting in a jarring cut, but I agree that it doesn't look good.

I like the music in LALD, though. It's just I can't see anything after the blood wash comes down in certain versions.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Technically speaking, the last gunbarrel that was at the start of the movie, that segues into the film, with no CGI bullet and actually features the guitar riff played in the traditional fashion was LTK in 1989, 29 years ago by the time Bond 25 is released.

I agree this is a great gunbarrel and Kamen's music really captures the tone of the film.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I wouldn't call it traditional, but I really like the way the Bond theme kicks in after Dalton fires.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    SP is a great gunbarrel? Perfect walk and shape when firing the gun.

There is just too much technical stuff wrong with it, IMO.
    -only gunbarrel where the gun is visible as Bond walks (major issue)
    -no shaking of the iris
    -no segue into next scene
    -'the dead are alive' yuck

only gunbarrel where the gun is visible as Bond walks (major issue) - Who cares?
    -no shaking of the iris - Ok. But it doesn't really matter.
    -no segue into next scene - That's because of the text.
    -'the dead are alive' yuck - I have no issue with this at all.

If anything I'm happy that they went back to the traditional design and Bond in a suit (rather than a tux which is unnecessary for the gunbarrel).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

-no shaking of the iris

only gunbarrel where the gun is visible as Bond walks (major issue) - Who cares?

If anything I'm happy that they went back to the traditional design and Bond in a suit (rather than a tux which is unnecessary for the gunbarrel).

100% agreed. The iris shaking and segue into the next scene wasn't that important. I just wanted the Gunbarrel back at the beginning with the binder design and a great blast of the Bond theme to get me excited for the film. That didn't bother me. Lazenby's moonwalk didn't bother me and FYEO's gunbarrel to jumpcut to next scene didn't bother me. Some gunbarrels aren't perfect but as long as they are in the right place and play the Bond theme I'm happy.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

-no shaking of the iris

Murdock wrote: »

-no shaking of the iris

100% agreed. The iris shaking and segue into the next scene wasn't that important. I just wanted the Gunbarrel back at the beginning with the binder design and a great blast of the Bond theme to get me excited for the film. That didn't bother me. Lazenby's moonwalk didn't bother me and FYEO's gunbarrel to jumpcut to next scene didn't bother me. Some gunbarrels aren't perfect but as long as they are in the right place and play the Bond theme I'm happy.

It's great that you two aren't cursed with being as nitpicky as I am.

I just think that if the gunbarrel was made to be traditional by being put back to the start they should have done their best with it instead of giving a half-hearted effort. It's the gunbarrel we've been waiting for since CR and in that regard it disappointed.

I care a lot about the gun being visible because the shot is supposed to be a surprise. You aren't supposed to see the gun until Bond shoots you. Admittedly, the surprise is diluted after twenty-three films, but all the other Bonds got this right, why not SP? It just seems shoddy to me, IMO.
    The only problem I have with the SP gunbarrel is the "the dead are alive" card, which is just annoyingly pretentious, but a minor annoyance. I like how craig shows swagger in not hiding the gun against his side, it's a cool variation. It definitely beats the little jump in the gunbarrel for the property of a lady
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the SP gunbarrel is the "the dead are alive" card, which is just annoyingly pretentious, but a minor annoyance. I like how craig shows swagger in not hiding the gun against his side, it's a cool variation. It definitely beats the little jump in the gunbarrel for the property of a lady

I agree that the dead are alive card is totally unnecessary, but it doesn't hurt it too horribly. I feel like it's removed enough from the gunbarrel to just be a minor issue. I do kind of wish we could have had a transition from the gun barrel to the actual PTS, but it's a minor gripe in the long run.
  • Well, if Craig reveals his gun, shouldn't the sniper take that as a threat and just shoot him? Unless he's busy eating a hamburger while having his sights on Bond, which probably explains why he was too slow to react to Moore's shots from 1977-1985.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Regardless of what we think of the gunbarrel itself, Daniel's pose in SP in perfect, IMO. He's wonderfully confident here.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like all of Daniel's gun barrels except QOS. I'd prefer he had just maintained one throughout (except CR, that was cool and apt for that film).
    If they maintained this one, I'd be more than happy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I prefer Quantum of Solace's gunbarrel over SF. In SF, Craig seemed to be faking it and walking like a zombie, which was... well, to be honest... more than fixed in SP. That one was almost a perfection of a gunbarrel.
    Still no excuse for the barrel not to be at the start of SF
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I just want to mention one thing about the qos gun barrel, it looks kinda crappy and cgi, bond walks to fast, it's at the end of the film BUT I think it's so cool that bond just decides to walk off after shooting for the only time in the series as well as the music that plays is pretty good and how it turns into the title of the film and hen into 007, for me it kind of redeems itself, however I don't like the skyfall one other than it goes into the bond 50 sign which is pretty cool
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the SP gunbarrel is the "the dead are alive" card
    On first watch, when I saw that card, I thought the film would be split into chapters, each with a different title. Nowadays, while I feel that bit works reasonably well, both thematically and stylistically, it still feels like a slightly artificial effort by Mendes or whomever to emphasize the undercooked sibling story.