Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Compared to the utter crap we were dished up in CR, QOS and SF the SPECTRE gun-barrel is bloody perfect.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The CR gunbarrel is crap? Well, that's a first. Then again, it's welcoming to see a different opinion.
    I'd be happy with that, :D just slip on a pink tie and say you had the dash
    Colour coordinated !

The only person who would look good in a pink tie is Sean Connery.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sir Sean never wore pink. It was a manly salmon ! :D
    He makes it manly. Could you imagine Dalton or Craig wearing it?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wish Craig wore a proper suit in the bathroom fight in the CR PTS instead of clothes that resembled a suit but were actually made of Jeans.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If that segue never returns, I don t care. What s so special about it?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I thought the SP gunbarrel was alright aside from the pointless "dead are alive" thing. But honestly that didn't bother me as much as it would have done because I was just grateful they at least put it in the right place again.

That's how I feel as well. I would have rather the gunbarrel open up on the skull, but I was glad to see the gunbarrel back where it belongs. Spectre, on the whole, is a big step in the right direction, I have faith that EON will get the gunbarrel right next time.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117
    I thought the SP gunbarrel was alright aside from the pointless "dead are alive" thing. But honestly that didn't bother me as much as it would have done because I was just grateful they at least put it in the right place again.

That's how I feel as well. I would have rather the gunbarrel open up on the skull, but I was glad to see the gunbarrel back where it belongs. Spectre, on the whole, is a big step in the right direction, I have faith that EON will get the gunbarrel right next time.

Why are you grateful? Because they finally realised that putting it at the end was bullshit? Cheers EON. We've only been telling you to put it at the beginning for 7 years now.

Why do you have faith? Because the GB has been all over the shop for the last 14 years.

Much as I didn't like the DAD one for the bullet it goes down as a work of art compared to how steeply we've fallen off a cliff since. I can let them off CR as it just worked but now they've had 3 films and they still can't get it right. They are incrementally getting better but still I have more faith that they will cock it up again in some way than nail it next time round.

Why do they find it so hard to get right?
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 12,837

Why are you grateful? Because they finally realised that putting it at the end was bullshit? Cheers EON. We've only been telling you to put it at the beginning for 7 years now.

I guess grateful was the wrong word. Relieved I guess? I know it's a bad attitude to take but while there were still huge problems with the gunbarrel, I wasn't as bothered as I would have been because I had a sort of "could have been worse" attitude after the last two films. If the QoS and SF had normal classic style gunbarrels then the SP one would have pissed me off to no end but they've been gradually lowering my expectations over the last few films. I should admit though that I think I'm a bit biased because I enjoyed Spectre so much.

Anyway I think SF is the worst offender for me. Because the reason was the opening shot but I, like many other fans, was too distracted by the lack of a gunbarrel for the 50th anniversary film to at all appreciate the opening shot. But I guess we make up a tiny fraction of the viewing audience at the end of the day.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

I think this is pretty common stuff. When you deprive people of something they are used to (gunbarrel at the start), and when, after ten years of waiting they finally get it, most of them tend to overlook the faults, and are happy to just have it at last.

I wish Craig wore a proper suit in the bathroom fight in the CR PTS instead of clothes that resembled a suit but were actually made of Jeans.

It's a linen suit: http://i57.tinypic.com/2928o3p.jpg

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/navy-linen-suit/

Regular suit with a tie would be better for the gunbarrel sequence, but I think a casual linen suit is more appropriate for the bathroom scene.

I also think that Bond is overdressed in SF and SP PTS. Especially in SF, with that ear piece, his look screams "secret service security agent". I guess it's because Mendes wants Bond to look absolutely Bondian the very moment he appears on the screen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    I thought it was unique and interesting. Nothing harmful. just different but familiar all the same. Remember when Dr. No's gunbarrel went right into the title sequence? ;)

I know you're joking, but DN is a first. It's automatically exempted, whereas SP feels like it's trying too hard to be good but really doesn't deliver anything.

Also, familiar? Really? Familiar would be an actual gunbarrel segue. Having some melodramatic words come up isn't familiar to any of the Bond gunbarrels.

It was at the beginning, looked like Binder's design and Blared the Bond theme. I couldn't be happier. Each Bond movie from here on out could start with some random quote and I'd be fine. I just don't have a problem with it. If it looked like the one from CR, QoS or SF I would have hated it. But it was more familiar to me than those other 3.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited March 2016 Posts: 2,630
    I completely reworked the SPECTRE gunbarrel to better match the sequence from 1962-2002. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQOkweeWARQ&feature=youtu.be
  • I completely reworked the SPECTRE gunbarrel to better match the sequence from 1962-2002. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXOU6JHHF4&feature=youtu.be

This is better, so much better in fact that it embarrasses EON and Mendes, really. Very nice.

I think this is pretty common stuff. When you deprive people of something they are used to (gunbarrel at the start), and when, after ten years of waiting they finally get it, most of them tend to overlook the faults, and are happy to just have it at last.

Well I'm sure Fritzl's daughter was happy to taste fresh air again after 20 years but I don't think anyone would say she should be grateful to her old man for finally letting her out.

One thing I will give SP credit for is having the blood flow at a speed more akin to what you might expect due to the force of gravity rather than this magic CGI blood that travels at mach 3 we have been stuck with for the rest of the Craig era.

See what you have reduced us to EON? Commenting on the speed of a fluid flowing downwards. But that's because you haven't even been able to get this basic thing right for 10 years.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Very nicely done @AgentJamesBond007 =D>
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Thanks very much guys! I'm a stickler for tradition and I want the full classic sequence for B25
  • Oh my God @ForYourEyesOnly I just realised what you said about Moore completely missing the gunbarrel in LALD and TMWTGG. And it's completely true. He completely misses it. By like, a mile. And now I feel so stupid. And now I can't un-see it. Oh my God. Oh my God.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 337
    As for blue circles, in the original theatrical release of 1974, the gunbarrel in The Man With The Golden Gun had blue dots opening up to the gunbarrel, rather than the traditional white ones. I'm not sure why.

Ah, this. I remember seeing this in cinema. Previously, I had only seen Live and Let Die, so the blue circles came as a surprise and I thought each movie's gunbarrel had different coloured dots.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817

As for blue circles, in the original theatrical release of 1974, the gunbarrel in The Man With The Golden Gun had blue dots opening up to the gunbarrel, rather than the traditional white ones. I'm not sure why.

Ah, this. I remember seeing this in cinema. Previously, I had only seen Live and Let Die, so the blue circles came as a surprise and I thought each movie's gunbarrel had different coloured dots.

That would've been cool actually, if each of them had different coloured dots.
    Oh my God @ForYourEyesOnly I just realised what you said about Moore completely missing the gunbarrel in LALD and TMWTGG. And it's completely true. He completely misses it. By like, a mile. And now I feel so stupid. And now I can't un-see it. Oh my God. Oh my God.

:)
  • Oh my God @ForYourEyesOnly I just realised what you said about Moore completely missing the gunbarrel in LALD and TMWTGG. And it's completely true. He completely misses it. By like, a mile. And now I feel so stupid. And now I can't un-see it. Oh my God. Oh my God.

When I saw LALD in 1973, I laughed a bit at this. On the big screen it was much more obvious.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817
    As far as I'm concerned:

The perfect gunbarrel
    LTK

Near perfect gunbarrels
    YOLT, TLD, GE, TND, TWINE

Good, but flawed gunbarrels
    TB, OP, CR

Alright gunbarrels
    AVTAK, DAF

Clearly flawed gunbarrels
    LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, FYEO

Bob Simmons
    DN, FRWL, GF

Bad gunbarrels
    OHMSS, DAD, QOS, SF, SP
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    SP is a great gunbarrel? Perfect walk and shape when firing the gun.
  • suavejmf wrote: »
    SP is a great gunbarrel? Perfect walk and shape when firing the gun.

There is just too much technical stuff wrong with it, IMO.
    -only gunbarrel where the gun is visible as Bond walks (major issue)
    -no shaking of the iris
    -no segue into next scene
    -'the dead are alive' yuck
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Technically speaking, the last gunbarrel that was at the start of the movie, that segues into the film, with no CGI bullet and actually features the guitar riff played in the traditional fashion was LTK in 1989, 29 years ago by the time Bond 25 is released.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Technically speaking, the last gunbarrel that was at the start of the movie, that segues into the film, with no CGI bullet and actually features the guitar riff played in the traditional fashion was LTK in 1989, 29 years ago by the time Bond 25 is released.

I'm at a loss as to why everyone rates the LTK one highly. The first half of the music until he shoots simply isn't recognisable as the James Bond theme.

I would say TLD is the last one where everything was present and correct which will, by B25, mean 31 years, 10 films and 3/5 of my life have all passed since they got it right. And it's far from a given they will nail it for B25.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    LTK or TLD I agree with, @TheWizardOfIce, I was just pointing it's been a very long time.
  • Technically speaking, the last gunbarrel that was at the start of the movie, that segues into the film, with no CGI bullet and actually features the guitar riff played in the traditional fashion was LTK in 1989, 29 years ago by the time Bond 25 is released.

I'm at a loss as to why everyone rates the LTK one highly. The first half of the music until he shoots simply isn't recognisable as the James Bond theme.

I would say TLD is the last one where everything was present and correct which will, by B25, mean 31 years, 10 films and 3/5 of my life have all passed since they got it right. And it's far from a given they will nail it for B25.

TLD's is the last good traditional one yes. LTK succeeds because of how dramatic it is. It also lets you know that you will be watching a comparatively darker film.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 337
    @IncompetentHenchman - FYEO worse than AVTAK? AVTAK recycled OP's theme, which TLD did again when it came along. FYEO has one of the most exciting tunes. I remember when I watched it in '81 - the gunbarrel theme inspired immediate excitement in me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Actually it wasn't recycled at all It's just a rearrangement of Barry's symphonic Bond theme style. It's similar but not the same. OP's is slow and powerful, AVTAK's is faster and has more dominant clarinets and TLD is very similar to OP's though less powerful drums. Listen to the 3 of theme side by side. You can tell the differences.