Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    That interview clip is very suspicious. He got very shy and defensive about that question, and tried to change the subject very quickly.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    aspie wrote: »

Yeah, this was poster earlier; a number of outlets picked up on the original report. He is being tight lipped. We shall see.

Talks with Turner may also be an attempt to get Craig to come to a decision.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    At this stage in Craig's tenure, no matter what he eventually decides, EON had better be at least having preliminary discussions and screen tests with other actors. Craig has maybe one more in him at most, and so it would make sense to at least talk to potential hopefuls, because schedules fill in very fast these days, with multi-picture deals. Especially with the likes of Disney out there looking for talent for its franchise films.
    bondjames wrote: »
    At this stage in Craig's tenure, no matter what he eventually decides, EON had better be at least having preliminary discussions and screen tests with other actors. Craig has maybe one more in him at most, and so it would make sense to at least talk to potential hopefuls, because schedules fill in very fast these days, with multi-picture deals. Especially with the likes of Disney out there looking for talent for its franchise films.

Absolutely.
    bondjames wrote: »

Absolutely.

Seconded!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Elba stirring the pot again.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,325

I believe he's doing it just to get publicity for his new film - i didn't even know about it until i did a Google search after reading your comment.

Idris Elba is Shere Khan, the fearsome bengal tiger. #JungleBook
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

How is he stirring the pot? He's not the one bringing it up and he's clarified he's not talking to EoN and vice versa regarding the role.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    But again, he's responding to a question and read his answer, which is a reiteration of something he said about 2 years ago. It's not him that starting or stirring anything; it's the media and it's surprising some people aren't understanding this.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Elba = self promotion. Nothing more.

This gets him free publicity, the kind of instant, high-impact exposure his agent could only dream of.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Elba = self promotion. Nothing more.

This gets him free publicity, the kind of instant, high-impact exposure his agent could only dream of.

Exactly.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    But again, he's responding to a question and read his answer, which is a reiteration of something he said about 2 years ago. It's not him that starting or stirring anything; it's the media and it's surprising some people aren't understanding this.

He is - he's using it to publicise his new film.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,087
    doubleoego wrote: »

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse.
    Indeed, Elba is such a poor victim. But at this point, I do believe, he is only playing with it to get PR. he knows, he aint going to get the gig or maybe doesnt even want it anymore.
    I originally wasn’t totally sold on Turner as Bond. He seemed a little too mousey and pokey to me. On the surface he didn’t appear to have that little bit of edge to distinguish himself from the others; he just seemed a tad too ordinary and a little boring. Aside from the fact he has an amazing body, I initially felt he didn’t really cut it.

I was really very impressed by the Agatha Christie show, he had a certain menace to him. He was charismatic but also had a hint of flamboyance. I think if he did get the part he’d play Bond with a more stony-faced demeanor. Craig was always a thug first, but Turner looks like a more malevolent and machiavellian interpretation of the character. If he gets the part I hope they let him keep the accent.

His appointment would also suit EON’s pattern when it comes to hiring new actors. He isn’t totally obvious at first blush, and would something of an unknown quantity internationally.

p6_2650080a.jpg
    Aidan-Turner-IMG-3286.jpg
    fg.jpg

However, the Bond casting cycle is interesting. It always seems that after a slightly more risky casting decision, EON retreat to someone a little safer.

Lazenby – Moore: After inexplicably hiring a model they turned to Moore who was known internationally for playing Bond-esque characters. He was a safe choice.
    Dalton – Brosnan: After hiring a more serious-minded actor who offered a darker take on the character they turned to Brosnan who was again associated with all the characteristics of 007. After this they went with a much bolder and edgier choice in Craig.

Following this cycle do we think EON will go to someone more obvious?

The other important factor to bear in mind is that the cinematic landscape has changed a lot over the last 10 years. It used to be the case that there were few enduring franchises, now there are an abundance. Most actors are now associated with playing franchise characters. So….if EON really do want an actor like Idris Elba, Tom Hardy or Michael Fassbender, they better move quickly. These actors have already played in the franchise ball-pit and they will likely all want to lead their own someday.

It’s looking more certain with each passing day that Craig won’t be returning.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,087
    I originally wasn’t totally sold on Turner as Bond. He seemed a little too mousey and pokey to me. On the surface he didn’t appear to have that little bit of edge to distinguish himself from the others; he just seemed a tad too ordinary and a little boring. Aside from the fact he has an amazing body, I initially felt he didn’t really cut it.

I was really very impressed by the Agatha Christie show, he had a certain menace to him. He was charismatic but also had a hint of flamboyance. I think if he did get the part he’d play Bond with a more stony-faced demeanor. Craig was always a thug first, but Turner looks like a more malevolent and machiavellian interpretation of the character. If he gets the part I hope they let him keep the accent.

His appointment would also suit EON’s pattern when it comes to hiring new actors. He isn’t totally obvious at first blush, and would something of an unknown quantity internationally.

p6_2650080a.jpg
    Aidan-Turner-IMG-3286.jpg
    fg.jpg

However, the Bond casting cycle is interesting. It always seems that after a slightly more risky casting decision, EON retreat to someone a little safer.

Lazenby – Moore: After inexplicably hiring a model they turned to Moore who was known internationally for playing Bond-esque characters. He was a safe choice.
    Dalton – Brosnan: After hiring a more serious-minded actor who offered a darker take on the character they turned to Brosnan who was again associated with all the characteristics of 007. After this they went with a much bolder and edgier choice in Craig.

Following this cycle do we think EON will go to someone more obvious?

The other important factor to bear in mind is that the cinematic landscape has changed a lot over the last 10 years. It used to be the case that there were few enduring franchises, now there are an abundance. Most actors are now associated with playing franchise characters. So….if EON really do want an actor like Idris Elba, Tom Hardy or Michael Fassbender, they better move quickly. These actors have already played in the franchise ball-pit and they will likely all want to lead their own someday.

It’s looking more certain with each passing day that Craig won’t be returning.

I applaude you =D> both for your advocacy of Turner, and you're appreciation for Dr No.

I actually think a Turner Bond would most closely resemble Connery's performance in DN. Very cutt-throat, and Machiavellian like you say. Basically doing whatever to complete the mission and stay alive. I don't see him as the gentleman Bond, polite and civil.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The more I read and think about it the more I want it to be Aidan Turner.
    The reason I didn't see it before is simply because for me he is Mitchell the Vampire (Being Human).

Dan Stevens may soon be dethroned and Aidan Turner the new lead on my short list for possible Bond actors :)

His age also is perfect, no matter if he would do a Bond in 2018 or 2020 or even 2021
    The more I read and think it the more I want it to be Aidan Turner.
    The reason I didn't see it before is simply because for me he is Mitchell the Vampire (Being Human).

Dan Stevens may soon be dethroned and Aidan Turner the new lead on my short list for possible Bond actors :)

His age also is perfect, no matter if he would do a Bond in 2018 or 2020 or even 2021

Exactly. =D>
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @Pierce2Daniel the cycle thing makes sense and i do thing they will go for a safe choice next time but I don't think, Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hidelston or Idris Elba are those safe choices.

The safe choice would be someone like Henry Cavil, if not him a look alike or someone very obviously handsome.
    Aidan Turner can look handsome but he is not bresth taking like Pierce or Connery.
    Aidan does seem like Sean Connery st times but still he was more classically good looking than Turner.

I know im being stubborn i wont deny it but i think the best and most safe choice is going for somene like Pierce.
    They could pull in much more woman into the franchise with an obviously good looking actor. with the ending of Twilight, The Hunger Games and soon to come the end of divergent girls will be looking for a franchise and casting an obviously handsome actor as Bond could hrlp them decide.

Girls liked hunger gsmes snd Divergent for Liam Hemsworth or Theo James and the romance they couldn't care less for the real story or big picture which is the more political theme or the action.
    They wanted an exciting romance with a hot guy.

So really Eon gives them an obviously good looking bond and they are sold.
  • This Turner guy has suave, pretty boy written all over him. Meh.
    EON, please go with a tough guy. No more suave, soft guys.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Turner has a bit of a plain and somewhat ineffectual aura to him imho.

However, he does come across as intelligent and so I can appreciate the Machiavellian suggestions.

If he's the new chap, it suggests an intriguing Bond tenure at the very least.

Interesting times.
    Turner is 50% Connery, 30% Dalton, 20% Lee Van Cleef. He has the machismo that man admire and the body that women do. He is the perfect candeedate for the role of Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    This Turner guy has suave, pretty boy written all over him. Meh.

Why not a mixture of a suave and tough Bond? That is what I think Turner could be. If it is at all possible, EON should give Craig more Bond, and then have Turner ready as the next Bond.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Turner has smth 'pixie-ish' about him that I find very un-007 .... am I the only one who thinks this??
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Turner has smth 'pixie-ish' about him that I find very un-007 .... am I the only one who thinks this??

No. He is just wrong.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    This Turner guy has suave, pretty boy written all over him. Meh.

Why not a mixture of a suave and tough Bond? That is what I think Turner could be. If it is at all possible, EON should give Craig more Bond, and then have Turner ready as the next Bond.

But I still think Craig has that choice ..just think Craig is the one backing out not EoN.

I agree with @bondjames ...I'm not sure yet. He's kinda like a Bentley Continental V8 ...got the same great looks if a tad more sporty but not quite the engine.

Agreed. He seems to lack gravitas, but also comes across quite mischievous and smart. It could work, but if it's him it will have to be a quite different take on Bond than what Craig has given us.