Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Germanlady wrote: »
    In a way, it never stops.

Which, in a way, is good. It shows that the general public still has a huge interest in Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    In a way, it never stops.

Which, in a way, is good. It shows that the general public still has a huge interest in Bond.

It's a shame EoN don't realise this and put things into proper perspective. Instead of wasting everyone's time with the razzmatazz of photocalls and event press releases which aren't necessary, they should focus on satisfying the interest the general public already have and put out worthy and excellent products. These superfluous and conceited "events" cost time, money and resources that to an extent are a distraction and tangential to focus better applied in the product they want to make a big song and dance about that people are going to see anyway.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I wasn't a previous fan of Tom Hiddleston but having seen him in the 4 episodes of The Night Manager I really think he would be an interesting choice for Bond. He hasn't go the physicality of Daniel Craig, however this for me would bring another angle, a different take on the role. He could be more cunning and sneaky. He certainly has the acting chops to take the role in any direction the film would require. The action shots involving vehicles and such like would not require a bruiser like Craig so he would be fine in those. Fight scenes could be quicker,more skilful. He has a quality that could take the role in a similar direction to Dalton (who I was a fan of, a man ahead of his time as Bond IMO)
    Hiddleston certainly has a certain something that I hadn't spotted in the Marvel movies.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    NO Hiddleston. No Stevens. No Cumberbatch. No Madden/Hathrington /any other twit that happens to be in game of thongs for five minutes before a dragon eats them

YES: Turner. Norton. Goode. Harry Lloyd. Jack Davenport. Idris! Charlie Hunnam. Jamie Dornan.
    At the risk of disappointing his staunch supporters here, I'd be surprised if these recent Turner rumours are valid. Has he done anything outside of this recent Christie adaptation to suggest he is Bond material? I would have thought the producers need more evidence of capability prior to discussions.

Dornan blew his chance with Fifty Shades imho. Elba is just media bait - I don't think he ever had a shot. Davenport would have been good earlier but is likely a bit past it now. Hunnam is not Bond material (I've recently been watching some of his work and he's talented but there's no edge). I don't know anything about Goode or Lloyd.
  • I agree. Hiddleston seems like the return of the comedic Bond, for me.
  • RC7RC7
    I agree. Hiddleston seems like the return of the comedic Bond, for me.

This is nonsense.
  • I hope you're right. Hate to see the camp come back.
  • RC7RC7
    I hope you're right. Hate to see the camp come back.

There's no evidence to suggest it will.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, the Craig films have been hugely successful. So I can't see them changing the
    new formula too much. :)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Szonana wrote: »
    With the extreme interest of Idris Elba, Tom Hidelston and aidan Turner to be Bond Can we now add The term Bond beggers?

Actors who do everything to look Bond like and do extra oficial auditions for the part to play Bond. Just like Oscar Beggers who pick every film with the chance of getting an Oscar.

---

Umm... who the hell picks "every film with the chance of getting an Oscar"? I mean, can you name a few such actors? That would be a pretty stupid strategy actually, because there are never any guarantees, anyway, to even get nominated, and specifically aiming for awards would far more likely just bring on repeated disappointments. Any actor more interested in awards than their work can't be very good at their work. Obviously it's nice to get such recognition for your work, and most of those who don't campaign and stuff still won't look down on an Oscar (etc.) if they get it, and do appreciate it. That's different than having it as a goal, though.

I don't agree with the term Bond beggars, either. Sort of similar scenario to the one above. I don't believe that actors generally do specific roles in order to get certain other roles. It's most likely a losing strategy as well, and more likely to bring disappointment and frustration than success.

I'm not at all convinced any actor who could possibly get the Bond role would be eager to take it. Craig needed to be talked into it. I can understand why a lot of actors wouldn't want it. Obviously it's a big opportunity, too, in many ways, and like with any lead roles in big franchise movies nowadays, you'll be set up for life if you manage to make a couple of those movies. But it isn't all positive. I'm sure some actors would jump at the chance (not that I could name any), but beggars? I don't think so. It sounds so needy and desperate and most likely won't work anyway.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Tuulia wrote: »
    With the extreme interest of Idris Elba, Tom Hidelston and aidan Turner to be Bond Can we now add The term Bond beggers?

Actors who do everything to look Bond like and do extra oficial auditions for the part to play Bond. Just like Oscar Beggers who pick every film with the chance of getting an Oscar.

---

Umm... who the hell picks "every film with the chance of getting an Oscar"? I mean, can you name a few such actors? That would be a pretty stupid strategy actually, because there are never any guarantees, anyway, to even get nominated, and specifically aiming for awards would far more likely just bring on repeated disappointments. Any actor more interested in awards than their work can't be very good at their work. Obviously it's nice to get such recognition for your work, and most of those who don't campaign and stuff still won't look down on an Oscar (etc.) if they get it, and do appreciate it. That's different than having it as a goal, though.

I don't agree with the term Bond beggars, either. Sort of similar scenario to the one above. I don't believe that actors generally do specific roles in order to get certain other roles. It's most likely a losing strategy as well, and more likely to bring disappointment and frustration than success.

I'm not at all convinced any actor who could possibly get the Bond role would be eager to take it. Craig needed to be talked into it. I can understand why a lot of actors wouldn't want it. Obviously it's a big opportunity, too, in many ways, and like with any lead roles in big franchise movies nowadays, you'll be set up for life if you manage to make a couple of those movies. But it isn't all positive. I'm sure some actors would jump at the chance (not that I could name any), but beggars? I don't think so. It sounds so needy and desperate and most likely won't work anyway.

Well the actors who mostly pick projects with recognized directors and working with the favorites of the academy no one has admited openly but sit clear that some actors choose films that will get the love ofvthe critics to latter be nominated for an oscar.

And with Bond well we have seen Aidan and Tom saying i want to be James Bond and im a huge fan of the franchise so its a big please notice me i want to be Bond.

Its not explicit but its known how some actors choose the films based on getting an oscar and the guys like Elba who speak so much on how they want the part of Bond.

Oscars and the bond part are the two biggest push career wise.
    The Bond role puts them on the map at least for 10 years and gives them notoriety with movie studios while the oscar its also a spotlight to get great opportunities and keep working.

Both work differently
    Bond works for doing mainstream stuff and getting fans while The oscar works for getting to work with the best directors and being recent as great actors.
    But being Bond and the Oscar are the biggest platforms for male actors.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »
    I hope you're right. Hate to see the camp come back.

There's no evidence to suggest it will.

Agreed.
    Tuulia wrote: »

---

Well the actors who mostly pick projects with recognized directors and working with the favorites of the academy no one has admited openly but sit clear that some actors choose films that will get the love ofvthe critics to latter be nominated for an oscar.

And with Bond well we have seen Aidan and Tom saying i want to be James Bond and im a huge fan of the franchise so its a big please notice me i want to be Bond.

Its not explicit but its known how some actors choose the films based on getting an oscar and the guys like Elba who speak so much on how they want the part of Bond.

Oscars and the bond part are the two biggest push career wise.
    The Bond role puts them on the map at least for 10 years and gives them notoriety with movie studios while the oscar its also a spotlight to get great opportunities and keep working.

Both work differently
    Bond works for doing mainstream stuff and getting fans while The oscar works for getting to work with the best directors and being recent as great actors.
    But being Bond and the Oscar are the biggest platforms for male actors.

So... DiCaprio? Sure it can be assumed, but it cannot be proven. That kind of stuff can't really be "known" but only speculated on. An actor's choices - when an actor is in a position to really have those choices available in the first place - can be explained in many ways. The Oscar beggar explanation is a very cynical one, I think. A-listers don't need Oscars to get better work and they don't need the possible extra money for future work, either. And people who are not A-listers aren't in the position to repeatedly pick roles in movies of proven Academy faves anyway. So the theory of Oscar beggars has problems in my opinion.

Certainly A-listers also have the option to work with any other type of directors - with no movies with nominations, or not even previous movies at all, or at a career low, or with shoestring budgets, etc. - if they so choose, and some do so. Some - like DiCaprio - go with the previously proven ones. But maybe they just like the scripts/roles/directors available on that front. Or maybe they like to be careful business-wise, or are otherwise risk-averse, so prefer the relatively safe bets. Or it might be a preference and respect for certain prestige attached to some directors and not others. All that seems more likely and more logical to me than Oscar begging.

As for Bond, it seems to me it's more often media that suggests actors for the role in articles and ask actors about it, than actors themselves taking the initiative. When an actor gets the question in public the chances are they say something nice about the franchise/character and express some interest. It's the sensible PR thing to do even if they don't think they have any chance of getting the role or aren't even really interested.

How much being Bond helps an actor's career... My opinion is that it's not necessarily all that helpful. Some ways it definitely is, but some others not so much. It's a mixed bag. (As are the Oscars - they don't necessarily help career-wise.)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    and the guys like Elba who speak so much on how they want the part of Bond.

Speak so much? Can you provide 3 examples where Elba states he wants the part of Bond?

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    doubleoego wrote: »
    and the guys like Elba who speak so much on how they want the part of Bond.

Speak so much? Can you provide 3 examples where Elba states he wants the part of Bond?

Ok, I take that bag maybe its just the media which promotes him so hsrd but he said it once he would like it very much and since tgen he has bern promoted to death to be the next Bond.

He is clearly the media's favorite but I don't think they say it because of political correctness but because he is pretty close to what Daniel has been giving us the same goes with Hardy.

Aidan and Tom Hiddleston who both have said they want the role are very different from all the other previous Bonds soft and maybe but not as classicaly handsome as Pierce Brosnan or Sean Connery.

I guess I won't be that surprised if Barbara chooses one of them we never had s such a skinny Bond.

Actually back then, she chose DC on his LC look, which was pretty well defined but not bulkly as he was always afterwards. So, she could choose skinnier.

All in all, she will have a hard time to choose at all and I am not kidding. She is still or seems so smitten with DC, that I could understand, that she isn't looking forward to do that job and it might well be more difficult like that.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I agree. Hiddleston seems like the return of the comedic Bond, for me.

Highly doubt it - Hiddleston is a serious actor (as in and actual actor, not a 'moviestar' à la Cruise, Pitt etc.) and would not sign up for it if the script was not a serious one with some depth.
    Yes, if you've seen the Night Manager there's the episode where he roughs someone up and is quite threatening. Is it me or does The Night Manager have a bit of a Licence to Kill type vibe - getting the trust of Roper just as Bond gains Sanchez' trust to bring him down.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited March 2016 Posts: 2,138
    Turner story is usual PR, keeps everyone talking about Bond and builds up anticipation for the next film, so when you have that few year gap between pictures Bond is still the hot topic. I don't think DC is done yet, complicated time for EON, new studio, prior issues with Sony to have to replace your leading man at the same time, jeez I wouldn't want to be in Barbs shoes if Dan is done. Mikey G was pretty convinced during Spectre promo that they "think they have got him", Dan teasing saying "He might do one more". I am sure after some time off Dan will find it too hard to not dawn the Tux and hold the Walther at least one more time.. Until then we will need to put up with the rags and their rumours.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, if you've seen the Night Manager there's the episode where he roughs someone up and is quite threatening. Is it me or does The Night Manager have a bit of a Licence to Kill type vibe - getting the trust of Roper just as Bond gains Sanchez' trust to bring him down.

Indeed. He also turns Roper against his closest associates, by planting seeds of doubt.
    Although I think Susanne Bier is a better director than John Glen.
    NicNac wrote: »

Indeed. He also turns Roper against his closest associates, by planting seeds of doubt.

Everybody is a better director than John Glen.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Apart from Lee Tamahori :)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 2,138

You know the crazy thing, Tamahori is not a bad director Along Came a Spider and The Edge are amazingly made films. I think he just got caught up in fan boy mode. Truth is some really good directors can't handle the scale of Bond. Marc Foster was the same, showed with World War Z he is a really good director, he won an Oscar Best Motion Picture of the Year for Finding Neverland.

You know the crazy thing, Tamahori is not a bad director Along Came a Spider and The Edge are amazingly made films. I think he just got caught up in fan boy mode. Truth is some really good directors can't handle the scale of Bond. Marc Foster was the same, showed with World War Z he is a really good director, he won an Oscar Best Motion Picture of the Year for Finding Neverland.

Yes Tamahori gave me a different Bond than I expected from him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Along Came a Spider and The Edge are indeed excellent films. The former has some naff CGI at the start, but apart from that, it's excellent.

So is World War Z
    Yes you can tell MF learned from QoS when tackling World War Z.
    Yes you can tell MF learned from QoS when tackling World War Z.

Sad it wasn't the other way around.

bondjames wrote: »

Along Came a Spider and The Edge are indeed excellent films. The former has some naff CGI at the start, but apart from that, it's excellent.

So is World War Z

World War Z filmed outside of my office here in Glasgow, they then added CGI to the buildings to make it look like Philadelphia cost half the amount of money to make as it would have if they filmed it state side. I don't doubt Fosters physical direction QOS's short falls are on story and anti climax ending not so much on how the film was picture boarded, acted or shot. Basically it comes down to a weak script, the writers strike and it going over budget. I do look at QOS and think how did they spend more money than Casino but failed delivery the same scale of movie. Foster with a good script and budget would have been up there with the best of them, sure of it, such a shame.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,756
    All this hate for QoS, I still think it's very well directed and better than 80% of Bond films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't know what QOS's biggest problem was. That it looked like it was filmed in a hurricane, or that it doesn't feel the slightest bit Bondian.