Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with Shane Watson of the Daily Telegraph. I'm a heterosexual male, and in contradiction to his self serving predictions, I actually do admire Hiddle.

His physique is just as impressive as Daniel Craig's was around the time of Layer Cake. For those men with unfortunate overcompensation requirements or needs, it's quite possible for him to put on a little more muscle quite readily. We know the ladies already swoon for him (well many of them anyway) so I don't see that as being a problem. Hopefully Babs takes the bait.

No, I think Watson is out to lunch quite frankly.

However, all this speculation about Hiddle implies he's not going to get it, unless it's very soon.
    Hiddleston to me very much reminds me of Brosnan and Moore in the sense he is the popular actor.

I have a strange theory that bond actors go in cycles starting with Lazenby

Lazenby Unknown actor
    Moore well known and well liked actor
    Dalton Unknown
    Brosnan well known and well liked
    Daniel Craig Unknown

My guess is Bond 7 is going to continue that trend and give us a high profile actor Cavill Hiddleston maybe even Fassbender or Hardy.

personally I still feel it's to early and before people complain about Craig getting 2 revenge driven films SO Moore had 2 Meglomaniac tries to take over the world films Dalton had two film dealing with the sell and smuggling of Drugs Brosnan had two films where a space based weapon was going to be used to hurt British interests... do we complain about that NO. Let Craig have his gritty revenge film in bond 25 Adapt elements of you only live twice.

Remember Bond in Fleming's Novels losts 2 loves of his life Vepser and Tracy and no one batted an Eye .

Besides unless we go with the soft reboot idea (which is a huge mistake) Bond 25 is likely going to be a revenge film regardless

My hope is like Taken and in my opinion Quantum of Solace they can be smart about the Revenge film and make it really cool rather then kind of lame (like every steven segal movie ever made except the two Under Siege films)

Again a Cliché Plot can be done in interesting ways... however I am rambling
    Germanlady wrote: »
    The quote "or for the meoney" is as spur of the moment as the wrists comment. He said himself later, that he never did anything mainly for the money (Lara Croft being the one coming close though). He proved it with running from Bond, too.

So - I don't see either scenario - not for the money nor the being forced into it.

Me neither.

Just to clarify my comments above: I totally believe what you're saying about that quote, and I didn't mean I think he is after money, I've never gotten that impression myself. I was just saying that I don't really know for sure, since I don't know enough about him - how he lives or shops or what he likes.

But: Some people like luxury, some don't necessarily even feel comfortable with it (and may turn it down even when offered for free). Some like shopping, some do it reluctantly. It's not even dependent on wealth. Some millionaires are as useless at shopping than I am.

I was basically questioning the whole idea that people just agree to do stuff for money - even when they don't actually need the money. Many people really don't. I would indeed imagine Craig doesn't. And good point about having had to be talked into accepting the Bond part.

Not that there's anything wrong with doing roles for money when one needs the money. Most successful actors have been there at some time, and many actors never get the luxury of much choice, and after all it is their job and livelihood. Nothing wrong in working for money, most people do.
    Okay, let's get this thread back on track and keep it from wandering into "Will Craig do one-more-or-not" sideshow that it's become of late. (That's not directed at anyone in particular. But "hey" let's remember the name of this thread, guys)

So, having watched Tom Hiddleston in a few episodes of The Night Manager, I have to confess I like what I see. I'm still not sure whether I'd have him as my No 1 choice as the next 007 (that's still reserved for Aidan Turner and Dan Stevens) but I wouldn't be too upset if Eon went down this "sauve path" and chose Hiddleston as an alternative to the existing rugged charms of the current Bond.

Now, contrary to current opinion here, the next 007 actor has to appeal to both sexes, though the majority of Bond fans tends to be men pushing their girlfriends into going to see a 007 picture, and not the other way round. So maybe it stands to reason that the men's majority shared opinion should be the overall deciding factor in who gains the next Bond crown? (Ducks and takes cover) Yeah, ok, that might not be the most diplomatic thing to say right now, but it's the truth.

Which is why I tend to agree with Shane Watson's only one good bit of advice in his Telegraph piece when he states: "it’s important, if not crucial, that heterosexual men admire Bond or none of it works." Yep, that's the way it's always been - and don't let any of those latte-drinking liberals tell you otherwise.

Sadly, the Telegraph writer is yet another "Idris Elba fits the bill" or an "equally Damian Lewis" type of writer who doesn't bring anything new to the table with regards to finding the next 007 actor. It's the stock go-to-list for betting shops and hackneyed journalists alike.

So, where do I stand in all of this? Well, I'm still leaning towards Aidan Turner for first place, and there's still something about Dan Stevens I like. But, damnitt, Tom Hiddleston isn't such a bad choice either, especially when the journalist's stock list consists mostly of Elba, Lewis and Hardy, irrespectively.

If you haven't already watched The Night Manager or And Then There were None, then you really need to do us and yourselves a huge big fat favour and go watch them - now!!! Otherwise, this thread will continue to be dominated by the same old rent-a-mob of Elba shrills and Craig's-going-do-one-more crowd.

Quite frankly, I expect more from you people.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,079
    bondsum wrote: »
    Okay, let's get this thread back on track and keep it from wandering into "Will Craig do one-more-or-not" sideshow that it's become of late. (That's not directed at anyone in particular. But "hey" let's remember the name of this thread, guys)

So, having watched Tom Hiddleston in a few episodes of The Night Manager, I have to confess I like what I see. I'm still not sure whether I'd have him as my No 1 choice as the next 007 (that's still reserved for Aidan Turner and Dan Stevens) but I wouldn't be too upset if Eon went down this "sauve path" and chose Hiddleston as an alternative to the existing rugged charms of the current Bond.

Now, contrary to current opinion here, the next 007 actor has to appeal to both sexes, though the majority of Bond fans tends to be men pushing their girlfriends into going to see a 007 picture, and not the other way round. So maybe it stands to reason that the men's majority shared opinion should be the overall deciding factor in who gains the next Bond crown? (Ducks and takes cover) Yeah, ok, that might not be the most diplomatic thing to say right now, but it's the truth.

Which is why I tend to agree with Shane Watson's only one good bit of advice in his Telegraph piece when he states: "it’s important, if not crucial, that heterosexual men admire Bond or none of it works." Yep, that's the way it's always been - and don't let any of those latte-drinking liberals tell you otherwise.

Sadly, the Telegraph writer is yet another "Idris Elba fits the bill" or an "equally Damian Lewis" type of writer who doesn't bring anything new to the table with regards to finding the next 007 actor. It's the stock go-to-list for betting shops and hackneyed journalists alike.

So, where do I stand in all of this? Well, I'm still leaning towards Aidan Turner for first place, and there's still something about Dan Stevens I like. But, damnitt, Tom Hiddleston isn't such a bad choice either, especially when the journalist's stock list consists mostly of Elba, Lewis and Hardy, irrespectively.

If you haven't already watched The Night Manager or And Then There were None, then you really need to do us and yourselves a huge big fat favour and go watch them - now!!! Otherwise, this thread will continue to be dominated by the same old rent-a-mob of Elba shrills and Craig's-going-do-one-more crowd.

^:)^ Aidan Turner for Bond! =D>
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    bondsum wrote: »

I am glad to hear some people are warming up to Hiddleston. I watched the first 3 episodes of the night manager and there is something about him that make him top 3 for me. I think he would be a great Bond.
    Also Dan stevens is a favorite of mine after having watched The Guest.
    I don't know much about Aidan Turner but since he is a favorite for some here i guess i should check him out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Turner would be dreadful as Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

That's one opinion. I respectfully, and completely disagree.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I wouldn't write anyone off just yet.
    Have you registered AidanturnerisnotBond.com get ? :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »

That's one opinion. I respectfully, and completely disagree.

As do I.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Henry Cavill admits he's only in the film business for the money - which explains his desire to be the next James Bond.

http://www.socialitelife.com/henry-cavill-is-totally-willing-to-admit-that-he-loves-being-a-movie-actor-for-the-money-03-2016?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    People will be calling me a c–k as they’re reading this, but travel’s great as long as you’re going first class,” Henry added. “I mean, traveling to New Zealand in economy, it sucks. Especially if you’re over six feet. But first class? I’m not going to ever pretend to be coy about that. I love it.”

:D

Being a bit of a naive chap I assumed all the "I'd love to be the next Bond" actors out there were saying it out of love for the character but reality hit me! I doubt any actor out there has any profound love of the character. I'm sure they like watching Bond films but let's not kid ourselves Henry 'almost got the role in 2005' Cavill wants to be Bond because he loves the character so much it would be an honour to play the part. Nope, he wants it so he can sustain his lavish lifestyle. Same is true of Idris Elba - his craving for the part is unlikely due to some great love for the role. The cynic is me realizes Tom 'pick me' Hiddleston is just another actor trying to exploit the role for cash reasons. Hey, if it works, fair enough, but let's not pretend Hiddleston has some great love for the part. I doubt it.

A total unknown would probably be a better choice.

Tom Hiddleston is the antithesis of 'rugged'. I've seen tarmac more rugged!
  • fanbond123 wrote: »
    Henry Cavill admits he's only in the film business for the money - which explains his desire to be the next James Bond.

http://www.socialitelife.com/henry-cavill-is-totally-willing-to-admit-that-he-loves-being-a-movie-actor-for-the-money-03-2016?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    People will be calling me a c–k as they’re reading this, but travel’s great as long as you’re going first class,” Henry added. “I mean, traveling to New Zealand in economy, it sucks. Especially if you’re over six feet. But first class? I’m not going to ever pretend to be coy about that. I love it.”

Being a bit of a naive chap I assumed all the "I'd love to be the next Bond" actors out there were saying it out of love for the character but reality hit me! I doubt any actor out there has any profound love of the character. I'm sure they like watching Bond films but let's not kid ourselves Henry 'almost got the role in 2005' Cavill wants to be Bond because he loves the character so much it would be an honour to play the part. Nope, he wants it so he can sustain his lavish lifestyle. Same is true of Idris Elba - his craving for the part is unlikely due to some great love for the role. The cynic is me realizes Tom 'pick me' Hiddleston is just another actor trying to exploit the role for cash reasons. Hey, if it works, fair enough, but let's not pretend Hiddleston has some great love for the part. I doubt it.

A total unknown would probably be a better choice.

You are right that a total or relative unknown would be a better choice, they would appreciate it far more. Or at least ostensibly - Lazenby...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,727
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Henry Cavill admits he's only in the film business for the money

Which also explains why he is more wooden than a ship's plank...

Dodged a bullet there. CR would have been a right snooze fest with him.
  • RC7RC7

Who wouldn't want to be James Bond? I think you're being overly cynical. These guys don't need the money.
    If Aidan Turner played Bond in 2018, he would be the same age as Harrison Ford was in the original Star Wars film. Spooky.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think Hiddleston is doing his audition right now in The Night Manager. On a positive note, despite offering a more suave appearance than the overtly rugged Connery/Craig look, he has a couple of things in his favour.
    1. He has a natural understanding for film/TV acting (which isn't always true of actors)
    2. He may look like he fits the Moore/Brosnan mould, but he actually is convincing when he has to be more kick ass.
    3. He caused a twitter sensation amongst the women after TNM sex scene last night. THAT is very important for any new Bond.

And because he doesn't have the obvious movie star handsome features, he's more interesting to look at and watch (as Craig is).

So, assuming Dan leaves Tom would be my choice.
    He seems to tick a lot of boxes. :)
    Henry Cavill admits he's only in the film business for the money

No, that's not what he says. He says the money is good (everyone knows it is at the top), and he loves that (who wouldn't like to be paid really well), and likes spending money on little luxuries (I wouldn't mind travelling first class, either) and on his friends.

Didn't sound bad to me.

RC7 wrote: »
    These guys don't need the money.

True.
    Only my opinion but Cavill would simply be too expensive now.
    Well, even if he came for free he'd be boring as hell.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Well, even if he came for free he'd be boring as hell.

yeah I think the reason why he is so good at being Superman is Superman is such a one dimensional character...

I say Craig for 2 more and then Hiddleston at 41 taking over the role and playing it till he is 50 (for a trilogy of films)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    NicNac wrote: »
    I think Hiddleston is doing his audition right now in The Night Manager. On a positive note, despite offering a more suave appearance than the overtly rugged Connery/Craig look, he has a couple of things in his favour.
    1. He has a natural understanding for film/TV acting (which isn't always true of actors)
    2. He may look like he fits the Moore/Brosnan mould, but he actually is convincing when he has to be more kick ass.
    3. He caused a twitter sensation amongst the women after TNM sex scene last night. THAT is very important for any new Bond.

And because he doesn't have the obvious movie star handsome features, he's more interesting to look at and watch (as Craig is).

All good points.

That he is a natural actor was never really in doubt, but good to see it acknowledged here.

The menace he so convincingly conveys without being overly ‘buff’ is a sign of an excellent actor who understands the Jungian archetype that is the key to portraying Bond’s psyche – in laymans terms this means he understands how to play the quietly dominant but layered alpha-male archetype. Connery did this to perfection, fyi.

Also Hiddleston is both physically and vocally more ‘interesting’ than most actors of his generation.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    AceHole wrote: »

All good points.

That he is a natural actor was never really in doubt, but good to see it acknowledged here.

The menace he so convincingly conveys without being overly ‘buff’ is a sign of an excellent actor who understands the Jungian archetype that is the key to portraying Bond’s psyche – in laymans terms this means he understands how to play the quietly dominant but layered alpha-male archetype. Connery did this to perfection, fyi.

Also Hiddleston is both physically and vocally more ‘interesting’ than most actors of his generation.
    Agreed on all counts. It would be a shame if he is not cast, and sooner rather than later imho.
    Why do people keep suggesting actors already in their early forties. I'm pretty sure the Bond of the books was in his mid-thirties. Connery was about the right age, and he looked older than he actually was. I understand an actor who is popular in the role continuing into his late forties/early fifties, if the stories are right, but why would you want to cast someone who is already considerably older than the character their supposed to be playing? Imagine if they rebooted Harry Potter and the lead actor they got was already 15 years old. That's kinda strange, if you ask me.

In my eyes, Aidan Turner is a great age for Bond now. If they shoot B25 in early 2018, he would be 34 years old, about the right age for the character. Then, if they manage to stick to a 2 year schedule, he would play Bond 3 times whilst in his 30's, in fact he would be about the same age as Craig was when he started playing Bond, after his third.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Same here. Didn't really take much notice of him in the Marvel films (and the Jaguar ad) but watching TNM I think he'd make a very good Bond. And hopefully he'd handle the press conferences and interviews with a bit more élan than DC does.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Why do people keep suggesting actors already in their early forties. I'm pretty sure the Bond of the books was in his mid-thirties.

In my eyes, Aidan Turner is a great age for Bond now. If they shoot B25 in early 2018, he would be 34 years old, about the right age for the character. Then, if they manage to stick to a 2 year schedule, he would play Bond 3 times whilst in his 30's, in fact he would be about the same age as Craig was when he started playing Bond, after his third.

What you mean like 32 year old Henry Cavill, 32 year old Dan Stevens and 35 year old Tom Hiddleston?

Why do people keep suggesting actors already in their early forties. I'm pretty sure the Bond of the books was in his mid-thirties.

What you mean like 32 year old Henry Cavill, 32 year old Dan Stevens and 35 year old Tom Hiddleston?

I was more thinking of Elba, Hardy and Fassbender, all of whom will be 40+ by the time Bond 25 starts shooting.
    NO Hiddleston. No Stevens. No Cumberbatch. No Madden/Hathrington /any other twit that happens to be in game of thongs for five minutes before a dragon eats them

YES: Turner. Norton. Goode. Harry Lloyd. Jack Davenport. Idris! Charlie Hunnam. Jamie Dornan.

The Hiddleston thing REALLY annoys me because it's SO bloody TELEGRAPHED. There are entire shots in Night Manager DESIGNED to ECHO that Bond 'feel' / look. Frankly, you could take anyone in that part and generate Bond vibes in the media, especially when timed against HIGH RISE (In which Hiddleston is depicted in suits a lot and infiltrating a bad guy's layer). Nice guy /fine actor. MOVIE STAR? JAMES BOND? IMHO: no and shame it's now so bloody easy to be touted as Bond!

Let Craig do at least one if not two more, his successor is not yet ready..