Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Turner has smth 'pixie-ish' about him that I find very un-007 .... am I the only one who thinks this??
    Agreed. He seems to lack gravitas, but also comes across quite mischievous and smart. It could work, but if it's him it will have to be a quite different take on Bond than what Craig has given us.

That's true of any actor. Has any Bond given a performance that wasn't a departure from what the last guy did?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Turner has smth 'pixie-ish' about him that I find very un-007 .... am I the only one who thinks this??

No. He is just wrong.

He has some Brosnan-ish quality, that should convince you :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So does the easter Bunny. Happy Easter!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

No. He is just wrong.

I have realized what it is - Turner looks too Irish. No offence meant, I love the old Island neighbours, with their daft wit and rugged charm, but he just seems too Irish to play James Bond.
    Brosnan just looked a bit Irish, you see... this all making sense, then?

:D
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This Turner guy has suave, pretty boy written all over him. Meh.
    EON, please go with a tough guy. No more suave, soft guys.

Why not a mixture of a suave and tough Bond? That is what I think Turner could be. If it is at all possible, EON should give Craig more Bond, and then have Turner ready as the next Bond.

Major, either you have missed out the word 'not' between 'should' and 'give', or you have had a bump on the head.
    :-O
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @NicNac, I assumed the Major had missed a "one", as in "If it is at all possible, EON should give Craig one more Bond,"
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It was my understanding that MajorDSmythe was less than impressed with Craig's tenure. Perhaps he has switched sides!
    Oh, right, I completely forgot about that.

I think he was more impressed with Craig in SP & the film overall than I was based on his recent comments, so I believe there indeed has been a welcome reassessment.
    SPECTRE has turned a lot of Craig sceptic into Craig fans.

The opportunities missed with that actor are immense.

Nonetheless with two spectacular movies CR and SP and one unusual but highly entertaining Bond QOS, Craig's tenure is a success.
    Every Bond actor has had a clunker in his tenure, except Lazenby :P

Which of Dalton's was the clunker then, in your opinion? Two solid efforts, as far as I can see.

Which of Dalton's was the clunker then, in your opinion? Two solid efforts, as far as I can see.

Don't get me wrong, both TLD and LTK are in my Top 10 and Dalton is my favourite actor.
    But LTK was regarded as a failure back then, commercially and critically.
    Nowadays LTK gets a lot of love of course and rightfully so.

Anyway, by the measure I used in my statement Dalton and Lazenby are the ones without a clunker. Thank you for pointing that out, my mistake :)
    SPECTRE has turned a lot of Craig sceptic into Craig fans.

The opportunities missed with that actor are immense.

Nonetheless with two spectacular movies CR and SP and one unusual but highly entertaining Bond QOS, Craig's tenure is a success.

I liked Craig before SP, now he is a top 3 bond!

Don't get me wrong, both TLD and LTK are in my Top 10 and Dalton is my favourite actor.
    But LTK was regarded as a failure back then, commercially and critically.
    Nowadays LTK gets a lot of love of course and rightfully so.

Anyway, by the measure I used in my statement Dalton and Lazenby are the ones without a clunker. Thank you for pointing that out, my mistake :)

Was not pointing out any perceived 'mistake', just joining in the discussion :)
    I'm sure there are plenty who think Dalton had one (or even two) clunkers. Each to their own!
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    In my opinion Tom Hiddleston falls into the not quite macho enough dept. Same with Benedict Cumberbatch, Sean Connery had that macho look, perhaps it's not that common in actors these days, we live in a more metrosexual era!, but ideally you'd want some guy to be a decent actor, have gravitas, be reasonably sophisticated and give off an air of 'don't mess with me'. I accept getting all these elements in one actor is rather hard hence the 141 pages of this thread!

Anyway, if Craig doesn't come back and Bond 25 is in 2018, there's enough time for some new fresh faced candidates to pop up and get insulted on this board... er.. I mean get praised. Yes, that's what I meant. :P
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    It was my understanding that MajorDSmythe was less than impressed with Craig's tenure. Perhaps he has switched sides!

Exactly. He was vehemently against Craig, so a sudden change of heart has knocked me sideways.

:)
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    In my opinion Tom Hiddleston falls into the not quite macho enough dept. Same with Benedict Cumberbatch, Sean Connery had that macho look, perhaps it's not that common in actors these days, we live in a more metrosexual era!, but ideally you'd want some guy to be a decent actor, have gravitas, be reasonably sophisticated and give off an air of 'don't mess with me'. I accept getting all these elements in one actor is rather hard hence the 141 pages of this thread!

Anyway, if Craig doesn't come back and Bond 25 is in 2018, there's enough time for some new fresh faced candidates to pop up and get insulted on this board... er.. I mean get praised. Yes, that's what I meant. :P

Unfortunately I have to grudgingly agree with this. No matter how much I rate Hiddleston as an actor, and he most definitely has the required skill to do Bond, he does indeed fall short in the raw masculinity area. So did Moore and Brosnan though, to be fair.
    I think only Connery delivered macho with suave effortlessly and brilliantly. The perfect balance imho. Very rare.

All the other actors have been on varying sides of that scale. Craig to the more macho side (sometimes excessively so) and Brosnan (imho) on the completely opposite side.
    I think only Connery delivered macho with suave effortlessly and brilliantly. The perfect balance imho. Very rare.

All the other actors have been on varying sides of that scale. Craig to the more macho side (sometimes excessively so) and Brosnan (imho) on the completely opposite side.

This. It is uncanny how SC managed to pull off this duality... I think it is mostly physical, thanks to how he studied movement, and of course also the cadence, tone and punctuation of his lines.
    Sean just has no equal in that regard.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dQ7H2blAT2k"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

So rare none of his predecessors have come close to achieving.
    StanKobra wrote: »
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dQ7H2blAT2k"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hugh Grant 2.0
    Too bad Josh Brolin is too old. He would have nailed it.
    Too bad Josh Brolin is too old. He would have nailed it.

Just imagine Cubby would have cast James Brolin in 1983.
    And Josh would have been cast in 2006.

Oh, the (luckily) missed opportunities :))

James Brolin can only play soap opera tosh, Josh Brolin can play anything.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

No. He is just wrong.

I have realized what it is - Turner looks too Irish. No offence meant, I love the old Island neighbours, with their daft wit and rugged charm, but he just seems too Irish to play James Bond.
    Brosnan just looked a bit Irish, you see... this all making sense, then?

:D

I don't think that's the problem. James Bond has Scottish/Swiss heritage, and both Scots and Irish are Celtic. Sean Connery didn't look particularly English, either. But in today's world it's all mixed up, so it doesn't really matter. If you were serious to begin with. :)

BTW, in the last episode of The Night Manager, Tom Hiddleston orders a vodka martini.
    BTW, in the last episode of The Night Manager, Tom Hiddleston orders a vodka martini.

OMG, he should be Bond!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

OMG, he should be Bond!

I think he should run for president.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

OMG, he should be Bond!

I think he should run for president.

I think I want a martini
    I prefer gin martinis myself
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    This Turner guy has suave, pretty boy written all over him. Meh.
    EON, please go with a tough guy. No more suave, soft guys.

Why not a mixture of a suave and tough Bond? That is what I think Turner could be. If it is at all possible, EON should give Craig more Bond, and then have Turner ready as the next Bond.

Major, either you have missed out the word 'not' between 'should' and 'give', or you have had a bump on the head.
    :-O
    @NicNac, I assumed the Major had missed a "one", as in "If it is at all possible, EON should give Craig one more Bond,"

That was a slip of the keyboard. ;) I meant to say that I think EON should gave Craig one more Bond film, then look the the next actor (imo, Turner).

And for the record, my feelings towards Craig in the previous films hasn't changed. It is in Spectre, where I feel Craig is now finally playing James Bond. Spectre is what I hoped Craig's Bond would be from the beginning. It's all very complicated. ;)