Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Szonana wrote: »
    So if cavil wants it i want him to play Bond as well, he would make a great Bond and it would be complete departure from Craig and i think that change is needed.

In BVS, he has one facial expression throughout 99 percent of his scenes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think one of the greatest decisions Broccoli made was to overrule Wilson? & Campbell and cast Craig instead of Cavill. Phew!

I don't know about his acting training and all of that, but he is quite uncharismatic & doesn't appear to have any gravitas at all. Affleck walks all over him in the trailers for BvS, which I'll be seeing in an hour or so.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think one of the greatest decisions Broccoli made was to overrule Wilson? & Campbell and cast Craig instead of Cavill. Phew!

I don't know about his acting training and all of that, but he is quite uncharismatic & doesn't appear to have any gravitas at all. Affleck walks all over him in the trailers for BvS, which I'll be seeing in an hour or so.

Cavill is a wooden plank. A very handsome one, but a plank nonetheless.
    Lets just say it out loud: Affleck would be a better Bond than Cavill.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sean Connery in 'Meteor' is more charismatic than Cavill.
  • Can't remember what he said exactly but i agree with what DC said on the publicity tour for Spectre " I dont give a f*ck as long as they're good" besides, i don't think any of the names being thrown around at the moment will get the gig, it'll be a guy no one knows about yet.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Can't remember what he said exactly but i agree with what DC said on the publicity tour for Spectre " I dont give a f*ck as long as they're good" besides, i don't think any of the names being thrown around at the moment will get the gig, it'll be a guy no one knows about yet.

I see this as a huge possibility.

That we will get someone who is almost unknown and has never been mentioned before. but they could also go for one of the people's tv favorite guys of the list like they did with Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan

• edited March 2016 Posts: 2,081
    smitty wrote: »
    Not every job requires a university degree, but most jobs require training. Talent is meaningless without skill, knowledge and technique which talented people are not born with or pick up just by observing. You could project your education doesn't matter point to all professions. I'd hate to get operated on by a surgeon with "passion and talent" who never went to medical school, and went through an internship and surgery residency. Getting an education takes effort and discipline, and is almost always constructive, no matter someone's line of work.

I was specifically talking about arts (and said so to make it clear), not all professions. There's a huge difference between being a doctor and an actor and the need for formal training in those professions, that's obvious, an by making that kind of comparison you're mocking the idea that an artist could become great without formal education, yet I'm sure countless different kinds of artists have, and I don't think the idea is laughable at all like you suggest.

You disagree with me, that's clear, but nevertheless my opinion is that actors, painters, singers, writers, etc. don't need formal training to be good at their work, and taught techniques can be both helpful and a hindrance. Of course people aren't just born with skills, but that's where observing and doing that I mentioned come in. Actors need to observe people and be interested in them, and doing is practice (just like doing is practice with painting, writing, etc.) I have respect for formal education in arts, too, but I just don't think it's all that important in for instance acting.
    smitty wrote: »
    Not every job requires a university degree, but most jobs require training. Talent is meaningless without skill, knowledge and technique which talented people are not born with or pick up just by observing. You could project your education doesn't matter point to all professions. I'd hate to get operated on by a surgeon with "passion and talent" who never went to medical school, and went through an internship and surgery residency. Getting an education takes effort and discipline, and is almost always constructive, no matter someone's line of work.

But don't you think the training can come with practice in terms of acting?
    You can get great bases on acting schools but the most important thing is the practice.

Exactly.
    That's why in so many jobs they ask for a resume which they get impressed by your previous jobs not where you studied.
    Im not saying formal training is worthless it has helped many actors. Most of the best have been formally trained but I don't think it's a most.
    Another profession where the practice is much more important than formal training is Make up artists.
    Sure they can learn techniques going to make up lessons but the practice is what will make them great.

So maybe it's a 50/50 situación.
    And I'm not saying this just to defend Cavil. But I think many actors who are very good don't believe in formal training.
    Most of the ones who do are more character actorset than leading man are usually The ones who are called method actors.
    It's very rare that a movie star actor had formaleft training and it's just a coincidence that most of the Bond actors did get it except I guess Sean Connery but I have to investigate . Don't want to look like an idiot lol.

Liam Neeson who has had great career never went to drama school, Jennifer Lawrence who is an Oscar winner said it's stupid going acting schools and acting is just about being a good liar.

So it's not so horrible not being formally trained

Some people don't even have a real choice to go study acting, they need to work to earn money, and getting education is more simple for those with money, as has been noted by people like Judi Dench, Julie Walters and James McAvoy.
    (for instance:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-mcavoy-dominance-rich-kid-772139 )

Some start acting at a young age, and then just keep doing it - makes sense to me; it seems a better way to learn about their trade than being at school.

Some consider drama schools, but get advised against going - Russell Crowe was told he was already doing the work, so why waste time:
    Crowe returned to Australia at age 21, intending to apply to the National Institute of Dramatic Art. "I was working in a theatre show, and talked to a guy who was then the head of technical support at NIDA", Crowe has recalled. "I asked him what he thought about me spending three years at NIDA. He told me it'd be a waste of time. He said, 'You already do the things you go there to learn and you've been doing it for most of your life, so there's nothing to teach you but bad habits.'"

Since actors either formally study acting or they don't it's impossible to know in what ways those who didn't would be different if they had, and in what ways those who did would be different if they hadn't. But most likely different in some ways. I suspect people also respond to formal training in arts in different ways, and what might be good for some might not be for some others. Would drama school have made Humphrey Bogart, James Stewart, Cary Grant, Ian McKellen, Ben Kingsley, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, etc. proper actors?

Was Sean Connery a bad Bond because he didn't have such training that, say, Pierce Brosnan did?

I just happen to think that the value and importance of formal training in acting is overrated. Of course, opinions will vary.
    Lets just say it out loud: Affleck would be a better Bond than Cavill.

Probably. (And I've never liked Affleck in any movie ever. Casey yes, but Ben no.)

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @Tuulia

I agree with everything you said.

With art is much more about talent than being fomally trained and i admire many of the actors who have formal training but its not a life snd death situation.
    Pierce may have gone to a drama school but seems like took another path from the one he learned. He ended up being more like Neeson, Brad Pitt and many guys who are more leading man than a true character actor.

Sean Connery is the greaest example that acting schools are not needed that much. He is a legend without it, he made a great career by learning the craft by himself.

And you also mentioned the money, that some guys can't pay the money and try lesrning on their own and with acting jobs which gives the same merit of bring formally trained.

And your story with Crowe is a big deal, i wished more acting teachers were that honest and to,d their students that if they find their own way wouldn't stop just for graduating from acting school.

Yes the ones who have technique have become some of the best actors but outside of Meryl Streep or Leonardo Dicaprio the biggest stars are the ones who didn't have the formal training.

But im getting into another debate of what's better being a gretvstsr ir a great actor?
    And its a very intersting discussion as well.

Timothy Dalton is a better actor than Connery but Connery made a better Bond because of his great charisma, charm and on screen presence.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Sean Connery in 'Meteor' is more charismatic than Cavill.

Sean Connery in anything is more charismatic than anyone.

• edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Acting courses - accredited diploma courses - end with plays at theatres, the actors perform, and agents and casting directors attend to spot talent. In theory the best way to get work is to showcase your training during these performances. I guess a few get their break that way. The rest have to struggle to get their first acting breaks.

Henry Cavill was lucky to be spotted at boarding school and George Lazenby just chanced his luck, his casting was the stuff of fantasy coming true, but 99 percent of the time you need to have some acting experience to get work but you need acting work to get experience. Catch 22! Lazenby's zero acting background didn't stop him but he was extremely lucky, I guess.
    George was the Cinderella man.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    http://www.laineygossip.com/Tom-Hiddleston-yodels-and-talks-about-possibly-playing-James-Bond-on-Kimmel-while-promoting-I-Saw-The-Light/43413

This might not be untrue. He is trying too hard. Looks likehe will do everything you want in front of a camera...that could backfire.

First thing you need to do if you want the role of James Bond: shut up about it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ludovico wrote: »
    http://www.laineygossip.com/Tom-Hiddleston-yodels-and-talks-about-possibly-playing-James-Bond-on-Kimmel-while-promoting-I-Saw-The-Light/43413

This might not be untrue. He is trying too hard. Looks likehe will do everything you want in front of a camera...that could backfire.

First thing you need to do if you want the role of James Bond: shut up about it.

Sounds like Fight Club lol..

Second rule ..never talk about playing Bond
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    mcdonbb wrote: »

=)) yes Fight Club
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

=)) yes Fight Club

:P ...hello my friend ...I had a 90's flashback. My favorite decade.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It seems, based on Hiddle's comments, that he hasn't yet been approached by EON. Their (and our) loss, imho.
    I'll wait until we have some official news about Craig. Until then..Daniel Craig is (still!)James Bond 007

I haven't seen Fight Club but I think it goes without saying: you don't talk about it, unless you're asked and then you remain vague.
    I haven't seen Fight Club ...

full.gif
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Fight Club? :x

:-$
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Guys here is a fun video in who should be the next Bond.
    Dont take it seriously

Its a video of making fun of all of us who give our endless lists on the next Bond

http://youtu.be/X1BjsmLqSnY

full.gif

...so? I didn't say I'd never see it.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817

full.gif

...so? I didn't say I'd never see it.

I'd like to see this thread become a fight club, that'd be fun. hee hee
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pass...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Guys here is a fun video in who should be the next Bond.
    Dont take it seriously

Its a video of making fun of all of us who give our endless lists on the next Bond

http://youtu.be/X1BjsmLqSnY

If Aiden Turner isn't cast, then they have to go with the cardboard box with a smiley face. Not only did it ooze charisma, but it would be an absolute beast in the fight scenes.

Right age I guess. And he's wearing a smoking.
    More and more ridiculous.
    James Norton would be Daniel Craig clone.

Please no.