I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Ludovico, that clip you posted from The Shining made me realize what it was about SP that reminded me of this film (apart from the lighting during the torture scene). It's the deliberate (was it deliberate?) lack of extras.

I actually haven't watched The Shining fully, but have seen many parts of it. The overwhelming impression of creepiness that I have relates to the fact that I recall that the lead actors were the primary characters throughout, with very few extras. SP sort of mirrors that.

Surely part of the plot of The Shining is that it takes place in a deserted hotel whereas SP takes place in densely populated European capital cities, albeit mostly at night.

Hence there's nothing wrong with it in The Shining but in SP it is jarring.
    Stanley Kubrick also made an almost empty New York (in Eyes Wide Shut)... and London (in A Clockwork Orange). But feeling like a large city is empty can happen sometimes. It happened to me in London and elsewhere, you just walk around and suddenly you barely see anyone. Maybe not at say Piccadilly Circus, but it can happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Ludovico, that clip you posted from The Shining made me realize what it was about SP that reminded me of this film (apart from the lighting during the torture scene). It's the deliberate (was it deliberate?) lack of extras.

I actually haven't watched The Shining fully, but have seen many parts of it. The overwhelming impression of creepiness that I have relates to the fact that I recall that the lead actors were the primary characters throughout, with very few extras. SP sort of mirrors that.

Surely part of the plot of The Shining is that it takes place in a deserted hotel whereas SP takes place in densely populated European capital cities, albeit mostly at night.

Hence there's nothing wrong with it in The Shining but in SP it is jarring.
    I agree and I'm not condoning that aspect of SP. I would have preferred more extras in the film to give it more of a realistic and grounded feel.

However, it does give the film a surreal aspect, which may have been the intention. Mendes is sometimes too smart for his own good with all the subtexts, and tries to do so much more than just telling a plain, good old fashioned story.

There is also a somewhat 70's space effect to the torture chamber. It reminds me of 2001, or Star Wars, or even the old tv show Space 1999. There's something about the clinical cleanliness of the whole thing. Antiseptic almost. Also recalling the loneliness of space.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, go watch 'The Shining' ASAP, preferably with the lights off.

@TheWizardOfIce, it wasn't something that stood out to me at all in SP until more and more people started pointing it out; I initially caught onto the fact that Rome was incredibly quiet and lacking in people and cars during the nighttime chase sequence, but then it bothered me more when I realized there's not a single soul working in C's building, even though the system is live at midnight, the train isn't terribly populated, London is pretty empty in the finale, and this is all even more jarring when the PTS is the only "populated" moment in the movie, with over 1,000 extras with unique costumes. How they pulled this off, but couldn't put more background characters and extras throughout the rest of the movie is confusing.
    Mendes is sometimes always too smart for his own good with all the subtexts, and tries to do so much more than just telling a plain, good old fashioned story.

Fixed.

edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Creasy47, shamefully, I think I've only seen Eyes Wide Shut fully from Kubrick, and I loved it.

I'm waiting to get a deal on 'The Kubrick Collection' on blu somewhere so I can experience his other classics for the first time.
    Just watching OP on British TV, just after Rog climbs in through the train carriage roof he removes a metal bar from the canon winch, probably 100+viewings and I've never noticed that before, weird!!!!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Creasy47, shamefully, I think I've only seen Eyes Wide Shut fully from Kubrick, and I loved it.

I'm waiting to get a deal on 'The Kubrick Collection' on blu somewhere so I can experience his other classics for the first time.

Yes, the Kubrick Masterpiece Collection is very expensive, I'm waiting for a good deal as well, sadly the price seems not to change much on Amazon and other Swiss retailers.

I only have The Shining and 2001 on HD DVD.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    All of Brosnan's Bond films have a snowey location in them. I just realized that.
    Watching LTK and realized that Sanchez, like Oberhauser, does not wear socks. :))
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,386
    I was watching AVTAK more recently and in the PTS there's a scene where a soldier gets hooked and then he's hanging swinging by a rope against the side of a glacier. I can't make out everything he says but in the midst of what he's shouting in distress it sounds like he rapidly says "Roger-Moore!" I've rewound this and played it back now a few times. This is the first time I've noticed it.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You are not the first person to point this out. I have yet to hear it.

I wish I had a translation for the rest of it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's supposed to be something like. " Save me Roger Moore" ;)
    It's supposed to be something like. " Save me Roger Moore" ;)

Ah, thank you.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    jackdagger wrote: »
    Watching LTK and realized that Sanchez, like Oberhauser, does not wear socks.

Never noticed!

Good catch. Difference is, that style was "in" back in the late 80s. (See Don Johnson in Miami Vice.) It's been out of style ever since, which is what makes Oberhauser's sockless loafers so ... creepy.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    TripAces wrote: »
    IMO, Bond isn't smiling during the belly dance of FRWL. It's actually Sean Connery out of character clearly enjoying himself. It has to be an outtake of some kind - look at Kerim next to him, all the actors at that table seem to be enjoying the dance instead of 'acting'. It must the most genuine moment in the entire franchise. Just for this scene alone I could rewatch FRWL everyday.

Yes, I think so, too.

I've always thought that too. A great moment.
    Just watched GF. A few observations:

1. Felix says 'You're slipping up 007 letting the opposition get that close to you.' This is presumably in reference to Capungo.
    Bond replies 'They got a lot closer to you in Jamaica.' What is he referring to? If it's a DN reference at what point was Felix ever in any danger to justify this comment? Or are we to take it that Bond and Felix have had some other adventure in Jamaica we've never seen?

2. The guy at the airport tells Bond that he has him on the next plane to Geneva leaving in half an hour. Are you seriously telling me that in 1964 Geneva was such a popular route with exceedingly rich people ferrying their cars abroad that there was a plane every half an hour?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_United_Air_Ferries

This states that the Southend-Geneva route was discontinued so it can't have been that popular.

3. What's the point of the bulletproof shield on the DB5? Q states quite clearly that the 'windscreen is bulletproof as are the side and rear windows. So why compromise on handling and space to carry around a big chunk of metal that only serves the purpose of protecting the rear window which is bulletproof itself.

4. In the laser table scene Goldfinger states 'you have been recognised by one of your opposite numbers who is also licenced to kill'.
    Who does he mean? Is this a reference to Goldfinger being controlled by Russia as in the book?

5. Bond clearly asks for his martini to be shaken not stirred but Mai Li ignores him as there is no sound of a cocktail shaker before she delivers him his drink.

6. The flying circus leader does a countdown before they release the gas: '5,4,3,2 - zero.' What happened to 1?

7. It's just struck me that all the soldiers falling over in unison isn't naff directing by Hamilton because after all they are acting and not really unconscious so it would look slightly faked. Fortunately the only witnesses are the pilots who hardly get the view we do at ground level hence they don't smell a rat.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 14,811
    I've just been watching Goldfinger myself. Never noticed before that when Oddjob knocks Bond out when he's getting the Dom Perignon from the fridge, there are five bottles of drink of the same size, in the lower shelf of the fridge door.
    http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Goldfinger/pages/Goldfinger-195.htm

But when Bond wakes up, there are now six bottles in the fridge door.

http://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Goldfinger/pages/Goldfinger-198.htm
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If Mendes doesn't return to direct a 3rd outing, he will be (so far) the only director to have helmed multiple outings always featuring the same composer. Young (Norman and Barry), Hamilton (Barry and Martin), Gilbert (Barry and Hamlish), Glen (Barry, Conti and Kamen), Campbell (Serra and Arnold).
    Wizard, with regards to question #4, I'm pretty sure Goldfinger is referring to one of the Chinese agents with whom he is working. They obviously recognised Bond and told Goldfinger his identity.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Just watched GF. A few observations:

1. Felix says 'You're slipping up 007 letting the opposition get that close to you.' This is presumably in reference to Capungo.
    Bond replies 'They got a lot closer to you in Jamaica.' What is he referring to? If it's a DN reference at what point was Felix ever in any danger to justify this comment? Or are we to take it that Bond and Felix have had some other adventure in Jamaica we've never seen?

I just assumed that Bond was being sarcastic. While he was risking life and limb, presumably Felix was supping Red Stripe, before sending his marines in

2. The guy at the airport tells Bond that he has him on the next plane to Geneva leaving in half an hour. Are you seriously telling me that in 1964 Geneva was such a popular route with exceedingly rich people ferrying their cars abroad that there was a plane every half an hour?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_United_Air_Ferries

This states that the Southend-Geneva route was discontinued so it can't have been that popular.

Movie logic? I always wondered how Bond got his gadget car through customs. A diplomatic bag maybe?

3. What's the point of the bulletproof shield on the DB5? Q states quite clearly that the 'windscreen is bulletproof as are the side and rear windows. So why compromise on handling and space to carry around a big chunk of metal that only serves the purpose of protecting the rear window which is bulletproof itself.

You've got me there

4. In the laser table scene Goldfinger states 'you have been recognised by one of your opposite numbers who is also licenced to kill'.
    Who does he mean? Is this a reference to Goldfinger being controlled by Russia as in the book?

I assumed Goldfinger was referring to Mr Ling

5. Bond clearly asks for his martini to be shaken not stirred but Mai Li ignores him as there is no sound of a cocktail shaker before she delivers him his drink.

Ha! Good spot old boy

6. The flying circus leader does a countdown before they release the gas: '5,4,3,2 - zero.' What happened to 1?

It's not the only time that a countdown has made no sense - see "three more ticks"

7. It's just struck me that all the soldiers falling over in unison isn't naff directing by Hamilton because after all they are acting and not really unconscious so it would look slightly faked. Fortunately the only witnesses are the pilots who hardly get the view we do at ground level hence they don't smell a rat.

Indeed

I don't know if this has already been posted, but I just noticed that during the LALD boat chase, when the four cars crash into each other, you can clearly see the drivers wearing coloured helmets.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have been thinking of dedicating a separate thread to instances where an extra looks into the camera. There are quite a few of that going on in these films.

Not just extras. Lazenby in the pts comes to mind. Hunt asked him to do that and say what he always said while on set(the pts was filmed practically last). "This never happened to the other fellow". It had become a joke during filming.

And Connery does the same at the end of NSNA, of course.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Would love to see a list of that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have been thinking of dedicating a separate thread to instances where an extra looks into the camera. There are quite a few of that going on in these films.
    This actually reminds of the very first shot of TWINE in Bilbao, where a gate blocking the onlookers is seen in the background. The are multiple flashing lights from people taking pictures of filming.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    In LALD during the wedding sequence, the extra to the left of the crying bride, has a
    smile on her face. Must not have agreed with the marriage ( Back story) :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, was happy that you pointed out the lady in the green dress in TB, she makes no effort other than staring directly into the camera.
    I just realized that Brosnan is the only Bond actor who made more than one film who never had a blonde leading lady. Perhaps he made up for it by having an Asian & an African American one within the space of only four films, but still, it's a shame.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I just realized that Brosnan is the only Bond actor who made more than one film who never had a blonde leading lady. Perhaps he made up for it by having an Asian & an African American one within the space of only four films, but still, it's a shame.
    In fact, Madeleine Swann is the first Blond leading lady since Kara Milovy.
    jake24 wrote: »
    In fact, Madeleine Swann is the first Blond leading lady since Kara Milovy.

I wonder if this has something to do with the status of blondes in fiction.