I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Good points @Ludovico. I'm not familiar with all Kubrick's work, but I certainly saw the similarities to Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Birdleson wrote: »
    In the time that Mr. Hinx notices the kegs attache dot the rope, turns to Bond, stares at Bond, says' "Shit." and is pulled out of the train, it seems like he had a reasonable chance of unraveling it from around his neck. Everything we've been shown of the character up to that point indicates that he is at least semi-crafty, battle savvy and tenacious. Not to the degree of Jaws and the champagne, but it sees that characterization was thrown out in order to insert a gag.
    Well, he says 'cute' if you ask me.. But other then that, I thought he only realises it as he says 'cute', then there's little time. All in all, I don't know how heavy those kegs are.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Something interesting I've noticed about Blofeld's Moroccan crater base. The image containing the satellite blow-up of the base that Moneypenny shows M at Rules restaurant is of the actual satellite image of the real crater in Erfoud where shooting took place. (I've put the images in spoiler tags)
    drft21z.png
    1A3ocrg.png
    This just proves the level of thought that goes into such minute details such as that prop in the Bond films.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Watching For Your Eyes Only last night, I noticed that when Bond and Q find the name of Locque using the identigraph, there is a little bit of text on the screen that says "This machine thanks you for your attention". Can't believe I have never noticed that before.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    In the time that Mr. Hinx notices the kegs attache dot the rope, turns to Bond, stares at Bond, says' "Shit." and is pulled out of the train, it seems like he had a reasonable chance of unraveling it from around his neck. Everything we've been shown of the character up to that point indicates that he is at least semi-crafty, battle savvy and tenacious. Not to the degree of Jaws and the champagne, but it sees that characterization was thrown out in order to insert a gag.
    Well, he says 'cute' if you ask me.. But other then that, I thought he only realises it as he says 'cute', then there's little time. All in all, I don't know how heavy those kegs are.

No. He says 'shit!' - why on earth would he say 'cute'? Listen harder next time you watch it.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    -Sam Mendes sure loves his Stanley Kubrick. He borrows heavily from him. And I do mean heavily. I might start a thread about it.
    That's something I 'felt'. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I definitely got a Kubrick feel from SP in some places. Sort of subconscious.

Lots of things from Eyes Wide Shut (, the masks, the SPECTRE meeting Bond crashes into), some from Dr Strangelove (same meeting, table and all), as well as at least a bit of Blofeld's mannerism, the torture of Bond is inspired consciously or not with the brainwashing scene in A Clockwork Orange, the empty streets of London and Rome are not unlike the empty streets of New York in Eyes Wide Shut again, oh and I always wondered why the some of Blofeld's line sounded so familiar. It was because they are very similar to the ones of Grady in The Shining. Like Blofeld, he's always been here. And, fittingly enough, he's a ghost.

And not to forget, the whole crater and meteorite, pretty much lifted from 2001.

I remember Mendes being interviewed on a documentary about A Clockwork Orange, I assume he's an admirer of Kubrick's work.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

No. He says 'shit!' - why on earth would he say 'cute'? Listen harder next time you watch it.

You guys seem to be right, according to the interwebs. Pity, thought 'cute' a far better line. As in 'cute' when someone does something you don't like but hadn't thought of/seen coming.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Really watch next time. It's like he waits to deliver the punch line.

I've caught this anticipation in Bond movies a good bit lately, such as with Bond's "Chair." comment on the train in GE. You can tell he's ready to spit the word out before Natalya's riddle recital is even over.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Who uses "chair" as a blinking password anyway. Even I could hack that, Boris is meant to be a genius is he? Ah, the 90's, where script writers didn't have the foggiest clues about computers....
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Really watch next time. It's like he waits to deliver the punch line.

I've caught this anticipation in Bond movies a good bit lately, such as with Bond's "Chair." comment on the train in GE. You can tell he's ready to spit the word out before Natalya's riddle recital is even over.

He's ready to say it because he's worked out the answer before she gets to the end. After all it's not really a hard riddle, is it?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 40,473
    It's obvious at the end, but to know how the riddle finishes is an achievement of itself. 5 + 5 is obvious, too, but you wouldn't know the answer until I finished saying it.
  • Lmao at Bond's 'Jessica fletcher' moment in Twine. HUH?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I know this has probably been posted before, but in the AVTAK PTS when the guy goes over the cliff, he shouts, in Russian, "Help, Roger Moore! Help!"
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    -Sam Mendes sure loves his Stanley Kubrick. He borrows heavily from him. And I do mean heavily. I might start a thread about it.
    That's something I 'felt'. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I definitely got a Kubrick feel from SP in some places. Sort of subconscious.

Lots of things from Eyes Wide Shut (, the masks, the SPECTRE meeting Bond crashes into), some from Dr Strangelove (same meeting, table and all), as well as at least a bit of Blofeld's mannerism, the torture of Bond is inspired consciously or not with the brainwashing scene in A Clockwork Orange, the empty streets of London and Rome are not unlike the empty streets of New York in Eyes Wide Shut again, oh and I always wondered why the some of Blofeld's line sounded so familiar. It was because they are very similar to the ones of Grady in The Shining. Like Blofeld, he's always been here. And, fittingly enough, he's a ghost.

And not to forget, the whole crater and meteorite, pretty much lifted from 2001.

I remember Mendes being interviewed on a documentary about A Clockwork Orange, I assume he's an admirer of Kubrick's work.

Oh I definitely must see that documentary. I always thought American Beauty (which I didn't like) was a watered down, poor man's Lolita. But the influence of Kubrick is far more obvious in Mendes' Bond movies.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Interesting that this came up.

In the theater and in my digital download, it is clear he says "Sh*t!"

But on the DVD I have, which I play in my office (because I only have a DVD player in there), he seems to say "Shoot!" I swear, it does indeed sound different. I didn't hear "Cute" but I most definitely did NOT hear "Sh*t!"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I know this has probably been posted before, but in the AVTAK PTS when the guy goes over the cliff, he shouts, in Russian, "Help, Roger Moore! Help!"

He actually shouts 'bozha moi' which translates as 'my god'.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,000

Really? I thought I could hear some mention of "Roger Moore" in this clip around 2:41. But, IDK. I'm just repeating my favorite (and occasionally mistaken) Bond reviewer Calvin Dyson.
    TripAces wrote: »

Interesting that this came up.

In the theater and in my digital download, it is clear he says "Sh*t!"

But on the DVD I have, which I play in my office (because I only have a DVD player in there), he seems to say "Shoot!" I swear, it does indeed sound different. I didn't hear "Cute" but I most definitely did NOT hear "Sh*t!"

this is one of those never ending arguments I think.I heard shoot when I saw it in theatres, but it feels like it must be shit.
    you have to admit he does throw an accent on it to make it at least debatable.
    lol wow
    Ojai is the mecca of so cal its a dream town
    no truthfully I did have to double check on this forum what Hinx said for some reason it wasn't clear. Ill get the blu ray soon though and rewind it 10 times to make sure.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,554
    In FRWL, it is revealed that Spectre "recruited" Grant in Tangier. I never would have thought anything of this, until now, with SP. The secret room at L'Americain seemed to be used for both interrogation and recruitment.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Really? I thought I could hear some mention of "Roger Moore" in this clip around 2:41. But, IDK. I'm just repeating my favorite (and occasionally mistaken) Bond reviewer Calvin Dyson.
    Certainly always sounded like 'Roger Moore' to me. Always cracks me up.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I've only ever heard "sh*t". It seems pretty clear to me.

Yeah only ever heard that word - different US/UK cuts?

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, same with me. I heard the word "sh*t"
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Oh I definitely must see that documentary. I always thought American Beauty (which I didn't like) was a watered down, poor man's Lolita. But the influence of Kubrick is far more obvious in Mendes' Bond movies.

I agree with that.

Yes. There are many examples. An obvious one: Bond's drive through Scotland in SF has The Shining written all over it.

Might be. The only one I know of in the Bond universe is the difference in TWINE where Denise says, after getting out of the pipeline '.. or someone will have my butt' in the US version, and '...ass' in the UK version. Still, I might have been mistaken, I thought I heard 'cute' the first time and probably didn't listen properly after that.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Might be. The only one I know of in the Bond universe is the difference in TWINE where Denise says, after getting out of the pipeline '.. or someone will have my butt' in the US version, and '...ass' in the UK version. Still, I might have been mistaken, I thought I heard 'cute' the first time and probably didn't listen properly after that.

Do they really have different cuts (I mean in script not stuff like the shark attack in LTK or the CR torture) in the US and UK? If so why did we have 'time for a station break' inflicted on us?