I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,691
    I've been watching GE endlessly since the early 2000's, and I just noticed that in the Cuban satellite station, after Bond shoots the guards to let Natalya get to the mainframe computer, it's not one of his mines he slides towards the guards, but his gun.

(Posted it in the wrong thread earlier.)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always thought he slides his gun across as he's surrendering to the guards ?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I always thought he slides his gun across as he's surrendering to the guards ?

Yes, but to me it always looked like those weird looking mines he had. :)
    OK, I understand. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,492
    @DaltonCraig007, upon my umpteenth re-watch of GE the other day, I was arguing with myself, trying to figure out if I hadn't noticed before that Alec is propping his arm up to aim at Bond (before the latter kicks the lever and slides down the ladder), because it's weakened from where Bond shot him earlier. Decided I've seen it before and hadn't paid attention to it in years, so that's why it felt fresh to me.

With any Bond film I've re-watched lately, I keep trying to hone in on certain lines of dialogue or bits of the background to see what I can pick up on or notice that I may not have seen in the past.

EDIT: Speaking of, QoS is up next in my randomized Bondathon, and I caught something I've never noticed before: the passenger in the final car that's shooting at Bond during the PTS? I just realized that he's using a light machine gun (looks like an M240B, from what I could tell), which makes it all that much more exciting. I always thought it may be a UMP or something with dual magazines, but apparently not.

EDIT 2: Now that I'm on AVTAK, here's something else I've never noticed: in the time it takes Bond and Stacey to escape the elevator and City Hall (the physical building), the police/firefighters have already entered the building, gotten onto the floor with Howe's office, put out the whole fire on that floor (but not anywhere else), somehow didn't run into either of them, found Howe, got him wrapped up, on a gurney, and taken out of the building, collected Bond's gun, AND evidence bagged it, all in this time.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 3,336
    Just saw the Lotus chase from TSWLM again and i noticed that at 1:54 the guy in the back opens the door while firing.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Better make that a link and not an embedded video (although ironically posting the link automatically embeds it for some reason).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That shot of the Lotus bonnet at speed and Naomi in the copter in the background is just one of the great visuals from my days growing up. Homaged in the recent SP with the plane (Bond as pursuer this time). I just love the sheer unadorned, clean, sleek lines of that Lotus. Naomi & Anya aren't bad either.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2016 Posts: 5,987
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This time while watching DIE ANOTHER DAY I tried to pick out all of the homages or references (I mean definite ones, not vague ones that are a stretch, or things that show up so often that they are no longer homages) to the previous EON Bond films. I caugh something from every film except LIVE AND LET DIE, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, LICENCE TO KILL and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. Anyone notice any definitive references to those four films?

Going from memory, but I seem to recall that the way Bond swims underwater to the sub is similar in TWINE and DAD.

LTK is clearly the thigh gun holster.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    echo wrote: »
    This time while watching DIE ANOTHER DAY I tried to pick out all of the homages or references (I mean definite ones, not vague ones that are a stretch, or things that show up so often that they are no longer homages) to the previous EON Bond films. I caugh something from every film except LIVE AND LET DIE, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, LICENCE TO KILL and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. Anyone notice any definitive references to those four films?

Going from memory, but I seem to recall that the way Bond swims underwater is similar in TWINE and DAD.

Thanks, but, similar though it may be, I don't think that it intentionally references those films. It's easy to shoehorn in bits that are reminiscent to other films, but I'm looking for solid homages/callbacks (ie. the laser table, Jinx coming out of the water, the re-breather, "Diamonds aren't for everyone", the stuff in Q's lab, Zao's death, etc.). Maybe I'm missing something, but the original event/object has to have been of note itself, or an homage would be useless.

I'm pretty sure it's a shot-for-shot recreation with a similar musical cue. Also, isn't the Q boat in the lab?
    This may be a bit far fetched, but i just watched OHMSS.
    And during the scene at bonds hotel room, Tracy says: "one thing you need to know about me is that i always pay my debts". Well Diana Rigg is also in Game of Thrones, and in Game of Thrones the Lanisters moto is: "A Lanisters always pays his debts". What if Rigg is secretly a Lanister in that show :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Anthrax wrote: »
    I've got two from TWINE that also relate in some way to GE:

In TWINE, when Bond and Christmas are about to go and disable the pipeline bomb, Bond calculates that the bomb traveling at 70 mph and being 106 miles away from the terminal gives him 78 minutes to disable it, while in reality he would have 91 minutes. He did say in GE however, that numbers were never his strong side.

In GE, it was revealed that Zukovsky walks with a cane because Bond shot him in the knee at one point (presumably during the cold war, and I don't recall which knee was shot). In TWINE, he rescues Bond from Elektra's torture chair by shooting off a lock on Bond's right wrist using a gun concealed inside his cane, which means that if Bond never shot him, Zukovsky would not have been able to rescue him.

Talking of Zukovsky how the hell does he know he has a PPK pointed at his head? The gun is way out of his field of view.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

Talking of Zukovsky how the hell does he know he has a PPK pointed at his head? The gun is way out of his field of view.

It's meant to imply that from the sound of the gun being cocked he can recognize the make and model. Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds. But Bond thinking he needs to cock the gun for it to work is sillier.

In fact Zukovsky seen Bond arrive in the building througth security camera (is the explaination the the official novelization).

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Having just rewatched Spectre, I've noticed something interesting about the video message M sends Bond posthumously. If you will recall from the video, she wears a blue blouse while sitting on a sofa in her flat. Having also just rewatched Skyfall, it appears she is wearing the exact same outfit while in the exact same place in the scene shortly after Silva posts the first five names of the NATO agents on YouTube.

bond7.jpg

IXF7ATp.png

This would mean that M films the video directly after clicking Silva's link. So she knew about Marco Sciarra as far back as that moment in SF.
    I've heard this mentioned before leading to a debate on why she didn't mention
    It to Bond during SF. :)
    Very good catch! That's interesting, indeed. Also, it isn't revealed that Zukovsky walks with a cane at all in GE, merely that his "knee ACHES...every single day." He's only given a cane in TWINE so Bond can have some crazy way to escape the torture chair.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Great, @jake24! Thanks, I love these little pieces of trivia...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Very good catch! That's interesting, indeed. Also, it isn't revealed that Zukovsky walks with a cane at all in GE, merely that his "knee ACHES...every single day." He's only given a cane in TWINE so Bond can have some crazy way to escape the torture chair.
    Thanks Creasy.
    Regarding Zukovsky, couldn't his knee have gotten worse with age?
    @jake24, that's what I'd assume. That, and giving him a cane wasn't a thought around GE since he isn't featured much, and they had to come up with some form of escape from that chair in TWINE.
  • Speaking of M and her laptop, in SPECTRE, the photos of Bond seen on the targets in the old MI6 building are the same photo that is seen on M's laptop in SF when she's writing his obituary
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

"My knee aches every single day! Twice as bad when it is cold."

Perhaps we can assume TWINE takes place during the winter, so he needs a cane then :)
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @jake24, that's what I'd assume. That, and giving him a cane wasn't a thought around GE since he isn't featured much, and they had to come up with some form of escape from that chair in TWINE.

At least giving him a cane with a hidden gun to use made sense, as he would not have had it if Bond did not shot him in the knee pre-GE.
    @Anthrax, he could've easily been given one to use due to 'old age' or some other issue had the backstory of Bond shooting him in the knee not been utilized in GE.
    He did have many businesses, perhaps it was his Pimp stick ? :D
    He did have many businesses, perhaps it was his Pimp stick ? :D

Specifically saved for Nina and Verushka.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,325
    I've just noticed something about TWINE. Bond could easily have been killed in the banker's office, so why was the Cigar Girl waiting on a boat on the Thames with a machine gun?

Ed. sorry this should go in the questions thread.
    I think Bond was needed to deliver the money, after that he was expendable ?
    Speaking of TWINE, I noticed the other night, On going to the window Bond
    slides his gun into the belt of his trousers, ( Bad guy gets shot) he then runs
    across to the bloke on the ground to tie the cord to him, and again slides the
    gun into his belt ? :)
    I think Bond was needed to deliver the money, after that he was expendable ?
    Speaking of TWINE, I noticed the other night, On going to the window Bond
    slides his gun into the belt of his trousers, ( Bad guy gets shot) he then runs
    across to the bloke on the ground to tie the cord to him, and again slides the
    gun into his belt ? :)

Yes that would make sense. I was just reading a review of TWINE on the James Bond International Fan Club website and it said there was no need for her to be there which got me thinking.
    I didn't realize SP ended like CR with the building falling into the river. At least in that regard. The Bond girls have different fates, naturally.