I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    It's not personal in the least-I'm not sure what would have given you that idea.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Then I'll apologise my my misunderstanding. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It just clicked that during the tank chase in GE, once Ourumov cuts across the bridge and Bond turns around and follows him down the way he previously came, the soldiers in the jeeps going in reverse are unloading on the tank with their AK's...never realized how pointless and stupid that is. Might as well throw some rocks and wads of paper at the tank while you're at it.

Also, the re-assurance by Campbell that Bond doesn't kill any police is rich: 007 clearly runs over a cop car a little later on, completely decimating the driver's side and killing anyone inside, but a second later, you see him climb out with assistance and walk away without a scratch. I think it's noted in the commentary, but I always love seeing it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Awards don't mean anything to me. The credibility of some of these awards are somewhat questionable anyway as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather they put out a product that I enjoy firstly, and secondly one that the majority of the public globally enjoy and have a critically favourable response to.

How it's remembered with time is also something I look for, and we're too early for that with SP or the song.
    Please continue the SP/awards and nominations discussion in the appropriate thread, everyone.
    Sorry, my mistake. I was catching up on this thread and thought I was directly following discussion on this subject as I missed the last page. I didn't realize we'd moved on.

Onto the subject at hand, I read somewhere recently that the train sequences in both GE & OP were partially filmed at the same location (namely the Nene Valley Railway and its main station near Peterborough, in Cambridgeshire). I wasn't aware of that before, but I know that I felt the similarities between the two sequences when I first watched GE in the theatre. A sort of deja vu. It's reassuring to learn that I wasn't just imagining things.
    No apologies needed, happens to me all the time.

Hmm, now that I'm comparing the train locations of GE and OP, I'm feeling some similarities, as well, that's a good eye. I'll have to look into it and watch OP again real soon so I can compare them more closely.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2016 Posts: 5,987
    I'm wondering if there are a lot of UK fans that get deja vu from sensing UK locations dressed as other countries (airports, domes, mine fields, etc.)
    echo wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there are a lot of UK fans that get deja vu from sensing UK locations dressed as other countries (airports, domes, mine fields, etc.)
    We have this highly popular police show in the Netherlands and I stopped watching them for the reason that I recognised the locations and from them moving from A to B never made any sense at all. It pisses me off. So I expect more people must feel cheated on occasion.
    Another pet peeve with me is how the dialect that is so prominent in Maastricht in this show rarely to never gets used.

bondjames wrote: »
    Sorry, my mistake. I was catching up on this thread and thought I was directly following discussion on this subject as I missed the last page. I didn't realize we'd moved on.

Onto the subject at hand, I read somewhere recently that the train sequences in both GE & OP were partially filmed at the same location (namely the Nene Valley Railway and its main station near Peterborough, in Cambridgeshire). I wasn't aware of that before, but I know that I felt the similarities between the two sequences when I first watched GE in the theatre. A sort of deja vu. It's reassuring to learn that I wasn't just imagining things.

I knew OP had its train sequence filmed in Peterborough, but didn't know that about Goldeneye. Incidently, i live near that area.

:)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This time while watching DIE ANOTHER DAY I tried to pick out all of the homages or references (I mean definite ones, not vague ones that are a stretch, or things that show up so often that they are no longer homages) to the previous EON Bond films. I caugh something from every film except LIVE AND LET DIE, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, LICENCE TO KILL and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. Anyone notice any definitive references to those four films?

For LALD, there's a large crocodile replica sitting in Q's lab.
    Mi6 HQ itself has the answers guys:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/dad_homages.php3
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think that's supposed to be the crocodile disguise Bond used in OCTOPUSSY, so that's still a skipped one in my eyes.

You're probably right. I wouldn't imagine there being an homage to TWINE since it immediately preceded DAD.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    You're looking for definitive references but those two are far from definitive.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think much of that is a reach. I'm looking for definitive references and I still am not satisfied about the ones pertaining to the four I named above. Also, I believe that the MI6 article missed some. Bond reflected on multiple mirrors at the gene therapy clinic was certainly a nod to THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, and I took the Asian to Caucasian to be a reverse riff on Bond's ethnic change in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.
    Fair enough. I didn't go through it all but if they missed the TMWTGG reference (one of the more obvious ones) then that's a big miss. I didn't think about Zao/Alec, but you have a point (no pun intended).
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    This time while watching DIE ANOTHER DAY I tried to pick out all of the homages or references (I mean definite ones, not vague ones that are a stretch, or things that show up so often that they are no longer homages) to the previous EON Bond films. I caugh something from every film except LIVE AND LET DIE, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, LICENCE TO KILL and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. Anyone notice any definitive references to those four films?

Bond uses his keychain to remote drive the car in both TWINE and DAD (different from TND where he uses his cellphone(!))
  • It works for me as a reference. What else in the film could possibly be a reference to TWINE? The homages list that's linked above just says some vague stuff like Bond rolls in a similar way to TWINE (right next to a photo of Bond in DAD using the remote control keychain!).

If Bond had used a remote control car-driving keychain in, say, Live and let die, everyone would be saying that its use in DAD was an intentional homage.
    A silly thing: last time I saw DN, it catched my eye that the MI6 field operative that looks for Bond in Le Cercle des Ambassadeurs is still sitting in the foyer when Bond gets out, observing him. I liked the detail.

And I always liked that butler as well, quite an obliging and professional guy.
    There are a couple bars of Nobody Does it Better when Madonna appears in DAD, never noticed that before.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    I've got two from TWINE that also relate in some way to GE:

In TWINE, when Bond and Christmas are about to go and disable the pipeline bomb, Bond calculates that the bomb traveling at 70 mph and being 106 miles away from the terminal gives him 78 minutes to disable it, while in reality he would have 91 minutes. He did say in GE however, that numbers were never his strong side.

In GE, it was revealed that Zukovsky walks with a cane because Bond shot him in the knee at one point (presumably during the cold war, and I don't recall which knee was shot). In TWINE, he rescues Bond from Elektra's torture chair by shooting off a lock on Bond's right wrist using a gun concealed inside his cane, which means that if Bond never shot him, Zukovsky would not have been able to rescue him.
    @Anthrax, I'm actually not sure why Zukovsky has a cane, since we never see him use one at all (or even comment on a cane) in GE, though we do see him walk a little bit without one. I think it was only implemented in TWINE so they had an excuse to rescue Bond from the torture chair.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Anthrax, I'm actually not sure why Zukovsky has a cane, since we never see him use one at all (or even comment on a cane) in GE, though we do see him walk a little bit without one. I think it was only implemented in TWINE so they had an excuse to rescue Bond from the torture chair.

A family member of mine misses one leg, has a prothese. He can walk short bits without a cane, but caries one for the longer bits as without it it hurts too much. I think @Anthrax's assesment is right on the money.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 3,144
    I think it has something to do with the limp that Bond gave him on an earlier mission .
    Which he makes refferance to in the sceen in his club .
    Any explanation for why he doesn't require a cane in GE but needs one in TWINE, then, since the injury happened pre-GE?
    Any explanation for why he doesn't require a cane in GE but needs one in TWINE, then, since the injury happened pre-GE?
    I'm just speculating, but it could just be age. Sometimes these things start to act up when one gets older and arthritis sets in.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Creasy47 see my post above.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Especially when it gets cold do you know how cold it gets in St Petersburg .
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Especially when it gets cold do you know how cold it gets in St Petersburg .
    Tell him Dmitri! Sorry, couldn't resist

The main part of your reply that answered my question was totally overlooked by my eyes; I apologize! Makes much more sense now.

The main part of your reply that answered my question was totally overlooked by my eyes; I apologize! Makes much more sense now.
    no probs! ;-)