I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't realize that Most of Icarus was an actual model. The silver reflective surface is CGI obviously but the satellite isn't.
    http://lparchive.org/007-Legends/Update 4/16-Dadprodu5.jpg
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Ludovico wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just realized that Brosnan is the only Bond actor who made more than one film who never had a blonde leading lady. Perhaps he made up for it by having an Asian & an African American one within the space of only four films, but still, it's a shame.
    In fact, Madeleine Swann is the first Blond leading lady since Kara Milovy.

I wonder if this has something to do with the status of blondes in fiction.

Is she the first leading Blonde girl not to be stereotyped in at least some vein as an airhead?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Hey, I was just watching TLD on Bluray, as I habbit of doing when I was caught off guard by this bit:

Bond: "what's my code?"

Q: "Oh, most appropriate. A wolf whistle"

Now what exactly does Q think is most appropriate about a wolf whistle? :-?

Then it hit me.

Could it be that the scriptwriter was having a little fun at Dalton and his wolfish looks? What do we think?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just realized that Brosnan is the only Bond actor who made more than one film who never had a blonde leading lady. Perhaps he made up for it by having an Asian & an African American one within the space of only four films, but still, it's a shame.

Is she the first leading Blonde girl not to be stereotyped in at least some vein as an airhead?
    That is a very interesting & remarkable observation, at least regarding the Bond canon. I'm sure after 50+ years, the association of blonde women has grounds for some kind of protest at least.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always assumed it was a Joke about how Bond is always chasing women ?
    I always assumed it was a Joke about how Bond is always chasing women ?

Yeah, could be, but I've seen Bond whistle before. Doesn't seem like something Bond would do. And you have to admit, It's remarkable how much Dalton resembles a lycanthrope. Maybe the writer decidee to work that into the scene.

When I first saw prisoner of azkaban I thought Dalton would have made a good Sirius black because he's half animagus as it is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't believe the wolf whistle has any connection to Dalton looking like a wolf. That's actually the first time I've heard that. I thought the line was obvious: a wolf whistle, Bond likes women, etc. That's why it's fitting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't believe the wolf whistle has any connection to Dalton looking like a wolf. That's actually the first time I've heard that. I thought the line was obvious: a wolf whistle, Bond likes women, etc. That's why it's fitting.

But he does look like a wolf, so it could be both. Hats off to the writers for that one.
    I really don't see the resemblance.
    832995ce549df357e3c2fb3ed0bdddbc.jpg

But he does look like a wolf, so it could be both. Hats off to the writers for that one.

That's a rather large assumption given how easily explainable the wolf whistle is. In all my years of Bond fandom, this is the first time I've ever heard someone compare Dalton to a wolf, or assume the wolf whistle was implemented for any reason other than it's synonymous with getting female attention, which goes hand-in-hand with Bond.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 8,087

That's a rather large assumption given how easily explainable the wolf whistle is. In all my years of Bond fandom, this is the first time I've ever heard someone compare Dalton to a wolf, or assume the wolf whistle was implemented for any reason other than it's synonymous with getting female attention, which goes hand-in-hand with Bond.

First off, I don't think the wolf whistle is for getting female attention as much as it is to signal that they have yours.

Secondly, this is a bit of a recurring motif in the Bond films. There are several references to Craig looking like a bulldog in SF. M has that ornament on her desk and Bond quips:

" the whole office goes up in smoke and that bloody thing survives."

This is an obvious parallel with Bond surviving the destruction of his family home later in the film. It's subtle but it's there.

Later Moneypenny even says "old dog, new tricks", confirming the connection between Craig and the bulldog.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I think someone's been on something strong,
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Roger Moore makes a fish face when he kisses Bond girls. What's the theory on that, @Mendes4Lyfe?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Mendes4Lyfe
    @Creasy47
    @Thunderpussy
    @bondjames

In the German dubbed version Q says:

in German: Q: "Oh, er wird Ihnen passen, der Playboy Pfiff"
    translated: Q: "Oh, it will suit you. The Playboy whistle"

so it's clearly meant for Bond being a womanizer.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,473
    @Mendes4Lyfe, that's how you see it, there are no "obvious" confirmations whatsoever. Again, in all of this praising and loving I've seen of SF, not once have I read a mention that Craig looks like a bulldog until now, or that the screenwriters felt this way and tried to inject a bulldog parallel into the story. Even re-reading that makes me scratch my head, it's completely unfounded.

@DaltonCraig007, that's confirmation that Moore is actually a fish out of water who survived and went on to become a 00 agent. Fact. It's why they made him kiss that way, because they wanted the obvious fish parallels to be noticed and studied.

That's why he's in a movie called 'Octopussy,' yet another parallel that further proves that Roger Moore IS a fish.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Roger Moore makes a fish face when he kisses Bond girls. What's the theory on that, @Mendes4Lyfe?

Hard to say. Just coincidence I imagine.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Thanks @BondJasonBond006 I've always enjoyed
    learing a new tongue. :D
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 613
    Each bond has a spirit animal, so far we have a wolf, a bulldog, and a fish. :o3
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    @Mendes4Lyfe
    @Creasy47
    @Thunderpussy
    @bondjames

Thank Christ for some sanity finally.

The surprising thing is its taken you to point it out @BondJasonBond006!

• edited April 2016 Posts: 14,831

She might be. But is she a true blonde? I need to find out: I'll watch Blue is the Warmest Colour again.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Thanks @BondJasonBond006 I've always enjoyed
    learing a new tongue. :D

You always were a cunning linguist, Thunderpussy.
    @Mendes4Lyfe
    @Creasy47
    @Thunderpussy
    @bondjames

Thank Christ for some sanity finally.

The surprising thing is its taken you to point it out @BondJasonBond006!

It was already pointed out before that. Frankly, I'm not sure why I was tagged alongside them when I've been arguing it from the start. It's unfounded nonsense.
    Well obviously someone over at EON disagrees or they wouldn't have put it in the film to begin with.
    Well obviously someone over at EON disagrees or they wouldn't have put it in the film to begin with.

So by that exact same logic, Roger Moore is, indeed, a fish out of water because he kisses like a fish. Perhaps Craig is actually a mouse, too, since he had a discussion with one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    George Lazenby must be a polar bear, as he spends so much time in the snow.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Just to be clear, I don't think Dalton looks like a wolf either. I would think that was self evident from the photo I posted above, as well as my associated comment.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think wolf everytime I watch LTK. This is the first time I've heard it mentioned by others though.

That's very validating, thanks.
  • In behaviour Dalton is very much a wolf in LTK. Dark, cunning, and not very likeable as a protagonist.
    In behaviour Dalton is very much a wolf in LTK. Dark, cunning, and not very likeable as a protagonist.

Yes, exactly how Bond should be. He shouldn't be this clean cut hero we know him as.
  • RC7RC7
    Bond should be more like an Otter.