I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The painting in Bond's room is also a stolen artwork.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have watched FRWL countless times and last week for the first time I noticed that when Tatiana has shot Klebb she places her hands on Bond's shoulders, and Bond suddenly notices the gun is still in her hand, pointing towards him and he quickly and gently takes the gun out of her hand.
    How can I be seeing that for the first time now?
    Just noticed the other day in Moonraker. With Bond and Goodhead in the shuttle. At one point
    Dr Goodhead grabs a floating pen to do some paperwork ! :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Just noticed the other day in Moonraker. With Bond and Goodhead in the shuttle. At one point

I remember that... and only now realise how little sense that makes...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just got the OP Blu Ray, and I never noticed before that Bianca has a scar on her left cheek!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I gave her that scar.
    Oh you nasty man.
    Is that from the scene she bends over to tie her laces ? ;)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

It's an homage to 2001 - where the air stewardess picks Dr Floyd's floating pen and puts it back in his pocket.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

It's an homage to 2001 - where the air stewardess picks Dr Floyd's floating pen and puts it back in his pocket.

Ah... learning more and more over here!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Ski chase music from For Your Eyes Only sounds strikingly similar to the theme tune to the 1984 TV series 'The Master' starring Lee Van Cleef.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    In FRWL, Bond can be seen smiling and laughing heartily during the belly dance scene. It occurred to me (seeing Connery truly amused and enjoying himself) that this might be the only time we have ever seen an ear to ear smile (and natural laughter) from Bond in any film. I would have to go back and review them all, but I'll depend on my Bond brethren here to help out. Can you think of any scene in which Bond is truly smiling and/or laughing?
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,325
    TripAces wrote: »
    In FRWL, Bond can be seen smiling and laughing heartily during the belly dance scene. It occurred to me (seeing Connery truly amused and enjoying himself) that this might be the only time we have ever seen an ear to ear smile (and natural laughter) from Bond in any film. I would have to go back and review them all, but I'll depend on my Bond brethren here to help out. Can you think of any scene in which Bond is truly smiling and/or laughing?

I do believe he has a smile on his face when he's with Pussy in the hay. And he has a slight grin on his face as the guy explodes at the airport in Miami in CR.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I do believe he has a smile on his face when he's with Pussy in the hay. And he has a slight grin on his face as the guy explodes at the airport in Miami in CR.

True, but neither have the relaxed kind of smile he has in FRWL and the belly dance. It might just be the most joyeful moment (for Bond) in any of the films.

True, but neither have the relaxed kind of smile he has in FRWL and the belly dance. It might just be the most joyeful moment (for Bond) in any of the films.

Exactly. Bond has his share of smirks and little smiles of amusement. But the smile in FRWL is one of pure joy. I am not sure we see that anywhere else.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed

Exactly. Bond has his share of smirks and little smiles of amusement. But the smile in FRWL is one of pure joy. I am not sure we see that anywhere else.

Brosnan gives a big genuine seeming laugh when he reinflates the tyres from inside the back of the BMW in TND.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,690
    IMO, Bond isn't smiling during the belly dance of FRWL. It's actually Sean Connery out of character clearly enjoying himself. It has to be an outtake of some kind - look at Kerim next to him, all the actors at that table seem to be enjoying the dance instead of 'acting'. It must the most genuine moment in the entire franchise. Just for this scene alone I could rewatch FRWL everyday.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In terms of pure, unscripted reactions, my favorite is always the "I love a drive in the country" line to Havelock in FYEO; if you catch her face and her laugh before the camera cuts to a different shot, it looks like she's genuinely giggling.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Roger Moore seems to be grinning from his left ear to his right ear when leaving M's office at the start of TMWTGG.
    IMO, Bond isn't smiling during the belly dance of FRWL. It's actually Sean Connery out of character clearly enjoying himself. It has to be an outtake of some kind - look at Kerim next to him, all the actors at that table seem to be enjoying the dance instead of 'acting'. It must the most genuine moment in the entire franchise. Just for this scene alone I could rewatch FRWL everyday.

Yes, I think so, too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

Brosnan gives a big genuine seeming laugh when he reinflates the tyres from inside the back of the BMW in TND.

Yes, and five minutes after his former lover was murdered.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

Yes, and five minutes after his former lover was murdered.
    We all have our ways of grieving. ;)
    Both in Bond films and in NOVEMBER MAN, Brosnan has this tendency to smell the hair of his dead lovers.
    Olfactory memory input.
  • TripAces wrote: »

Bond has a very big smile on the rollercoaster with Kara in TLD. And some people are under the impression that Dalton never smiles.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Roger Moore seems to be grinning from his left ear to his right ear when leaving M's office at the start of TMWTGG.
    That is one weird expression! I love the look on his face at that moment, but can't quite think what he was trying to convey.

Dalton's Bond laughs during the concert in TLD.

Connery's Bond does a knowing smile/laugh when he is talking about meeting the girl in FRWL and Kerim jests about it being more than business. They laugh together - and it's a lovely moment.

They all smile at times, but @TripAces is right, there are very few if any moments like the gypsy camp where Bond appears to be simply laughing from sheer enjoyment of the moment.

edited March 2016 Posts: 4,554

Bond has a very big smile on the rollercoaster with Kara in TLD. And some people are under the impression that Dalton never smiles.

Yes. That would be one.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I have seen FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE far more than I can even estimate since the first time on television in the mid-70s, the last dozen or so on BluRay on a Hi Def television. But today, watching a subpar copy on a crappy little airplane TV screen, I noticed for the very first time that after Bond kills Red Grant and goes to wake Tatiana he has blood on his hand, and a decent amount of it. How the Hell did I miss that?

You may have become routine-blinded, so to speak.

I used to watch the Bond movies on DVD on a 40" screen for 10 years.
    My eyes were "opened" when I watched them for the first times on Blu-ray, and again, last year when I got a 65" 4K TV Set.
    I did watch a few Bond movies in 3D (upconverted by my fine TV Set) and I noticed things I have never seen before!

Even when I watched a couple of Bond movies on my iPad last year they looked "different".

To change the order of watching also changed my perception of certain Bond movies. I always watched them in order and only started to do Bondathons in random order last year.

• edited March 2016 Posts: 14,831
    Oh I definitely must see that documentary. I always thought American Beauty (which I didn't like) was a watered down, poor man's Lolita. But the influence of Kubrick is far more obvious in Mendes' Bond movies.

I agree with that.

Scaramanga didn't say it, I did.

Oh, not sure if it fits this thread, but here's something funny: in the subtitle of the SP blue ray, Blofeld is referred to as... Blofeld. From his first introduction onward.

Oh and as for Kubrick's influence over Mendes, look at this scene from The Shining after watching the "It was me, James" scene in SP:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Ludovico, I noticed that, too, and said that I hope nobody is watching SP with subtitles on as their first viewing, or they're getting a big spoiler revealed as soon as Oberhauser speaks.

@Birdleson, I've done the same thing with GE; I've honestly seen it hundreds of times, but there will still be moments where I manage to spot something or hear something I hadn't heard before, which is weird to me. However, it could be that the blood on Bond's hand is something you first noticed many years ago, you eventually forgot about it or stopped focusing on it, and now that you picked up on it again, it's like a brand new reveal to you.
    Well the Blofeld reveal was pretty much a Jekyll and Hyde twist anyway.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Ludovico, that clip you posted from The Shining made me realize what it was about SP that reminded me of this film (apart from the lighting during the torture scene). It's the deliberate (was it deliberate?) lack of extras.

I actually haven't watched The Shining fully, but have seen many parts of it. The overwhelming impression of creepiness that I have relates to the fact that I recall that the lead actors were the primary characters throughout, with very few extras. SP sort of mirrors that.