Should Disney buy James Bond in 2016?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm open to it. As long as they bring the money, their operational excellence, and let the creative control stay with EON. I think they can be an effective suitor. They know how to run a tight ship and perhaps could ensure things move along more effectively than what we have recently witnessed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If Disney owns Marvel, does that mean 'Captain America: Winter Soldier' is technically a Disney film? I wouldn't mind having a Bond film in that style.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    >:)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Nolan's overrated mitts on Bond either.

You and I seem to be about consistently alone on this @Murdock . I think that there was one other person in our corner, but I don't remember who it was.

I don't want to see Nolan helm a Bond film either. While I do like several of his films, I would agree that he's overrated and I wouldn't want to see him taking on a Bond film, especially after we've already kind of seen what a Nolan Bond film would look like with Skyfall.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    dalton wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Nolan's overrated mitts on Bond either.

You and I seem to be about consistently alone on this @Murdock . I think that there was one other person in our corner, but I don't remember who it was.

I don't want to see Nolan helm a Bond film either. While I do like several of his films, I would agree that he's overrated and I wouldn't want to see him taking on a Bond film, especially after we've already kind of seen what a Nolan Bond film would look like with Skyfall.
    Asking for permission to come aboard for the same club.
    Disney take over the Bond franchise, don't be so silly, there's no way i'am going to see a Bond film, with Donald Duck in it! :-O
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    NO!!! There aren't enough ways in any language on Earth to say NO to this. They got Pixar, and ruined Pixar; they got The Muppets, and ruined The Muppets. They should not be allowed to ruin Bond.
    NO!!! There aren't enough ways in any language on Earth to say NO to this. They got Pixar, and ruined Pixar; they got The Muppets, and ruined The Muppets. They should not be allowed to ruin Bond.
    Exactly my point.
    Disney buying James Bond?
    34058885.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm open to it. As long as they bring the money, their operational excellence, and let the creative control stay with EON. I think they can be an effective suitor. They know how to run a tight ship and perhaps could ensure things move along more effectively than what we have recently witnessed.

The voice of reason.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Exactly my point.

Other side fo the argument, they got Marvel and made it a huge success, They got Star Wars and made it the biggest selling movie of 2015.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I want Disney.
    I want a Bond musical.
    I want Bond to tap-dance through the title-sequence and sing the theme song himself!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Also Star Wars IMO. I'd take any of the prequels over SW7.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Walecs wrote: »
    Also Star Wars IMO. I'd take any of the prequels over SW7.

Absolutely, even The Phantom Menace is a masterpiece compared to that lukewarm brew aimed at teenagers. At least, Episode I got a decent cast. TFA's cast is a joke, take away Ford and the movie is utter garbage.
    Exactly my point.

Other side fo the argument, they got Marvel and made it a huge success, They got Star Wars and made it the biggest selling movie of 2015.
    Yes, they did. And an Avengers movie wouldn't have been possible without it. But, there will be consequences for that, it's like selling their souls to the devil, just wait and see.
    On the plus side when discussing Disney

Disney can do adult orientated action films
    National Treasure 1 and 2
    Captain America Winter Soldier

uhm that is about it

Like I said Could Disney do a good job and just supply the money to eon and let them do what they want sure... will they... No probably not as Disney is into world building we will more then likely get

Young Bond tv show based on the books by Charlie Higson and Steve Cole
    Lucasarts doing the bond video games (which is both bad and good)
    Some sort of Q teaches kids show on Disney for kids
    A film or two based on Mallory
    that long gesting Jinx film
    a few felix leiter films

etc

and in all honestly yeah lets just have WB do it. Sure this means we might get a Nolan trilogy which I am both happy and nervous about but I would take Nolan doing bond over the above any day.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,090
    Sorry, wrong thread :P
    Risico007 wrote: »

uhm that is about it

Like I said Could Disney do a good job and just supply the money to eon and let them do what they want sure... will they... No probably not as Disney is into world building we will more then likely get

a few felix leiter films

etc

and in all honestly yeah lets just have WB do it. Sure this means we might get a Nolan trilogy which I am both happy and nervous about but I would take Nolan doing bond over the above any day.

200w.gif

You're the new @Panchito
    doubleoego wrote: »

uhm that is about it

a few felix leiter films

etc

200w.gif

You're the new @Panchito

what does that mean?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

uhm that is about it

a few felix leiter films

etc

200w.gif

You're the new @Panchito

what does that mean?

@panchitopistoles
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Exactly my point.

Yes, they did. And an Avengers movie wouldn't have been possible without it. But, there will be consequences for that, it's like selling their souls to the devil, just wait and see.

The devil should buy EON.
    Exactly my point.

The devil should buy EON.
    It did. Now it's selling it back. To the Easter Bunny.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,980
    I say no, but if they would promise to turn it over to the makers of Captain America: The Winter Soldier....
    EON can simply hire the makers of the Captain America movies like they hired the crew for The Bourne Ultimatum to orchestrate Quantum of Solace. Disney shouldn't be involved for Heaven's sake.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    EON can simply hire the makers of the Captain America movies like they hired the crew for The Bourne Ultimatum to orchestrate Quantum of Solace. Disney shouldn't be involved for Heaven's sake.

Yes, I understand that; my point is that there is true talent employed by Disney and that the Disney brand is no longer limited to light hearted family entertainment.

At this stage EoN can't do shit. If they could they'd be financing these productions themselves. As things stand it's all about negotiating the best deal possible for them and even then they've proven they don't always know a good thing when it presents itself so no, they would'nt simply just hire the makers of Winter Soldier because for starters, the Russos are American directors and we all know how EoN and some fans feel about not breaking "tradition".

At this stage EoN can't do shit. If they could they'd be financing these productions themselves. As things stand it's all about negotiating the best deal possible for them and even then they've proven they don't always know a good thing when it presents itself so no, they would'nt simply just hire the makers of Winter Soldier because for starters, the Russos are American directors and we all know how EoN and some fans feel about not breaking "tradition".
    That's true, actually. And Spectre was pretty much the answer to that: sticking to tradition. All does the Babs-MGW era of EON cares about is the fame and the big names. Not the quality of work, talent or anything of sorts. Where would The Spy Who Loved Me have been without Stanley Kubrick's touch that was kept secret? Ain't he American? Some fans for you.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,973

That's true, actually. And Spectre was pretty much the answer to that: sticking to tradition. All does the Babs-MGW era of EON cares about is the fame and the big names. Not the quality of work, talent or anything of sorts. Where would The Spy Who Loved Me have been without Stanley Kubrick's touch that was kept secret? Ain't he American? Some fans for you.
    Couldn't disagree more. The reason EON can't produce films on their own is the fact that they don't own all the rights, as the rights owned by Saltzman, who chose not to sell to Broccoli.
    I also don't agree on the notion that SPECTRE is a worse film then TSWLM. On the contrary, I think SP is a lot better, with a Bond far closer to Ian's creation, and a more consistent story which was better filmed as well.
    I don't think many people would object to an American director. Many would, however, object to American cultural elements put in the Bond universe. And that's a risk that's hard to take.
    And Disney are known to mix their frenchises up, or to go utterly PC once in a while. Bond should never be at risk to those forces.

In the end though, I'd love Nolan to helm a Bond film. I think he understood Batman better then anyone before him, and I hope he'll understand Bond very well too.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139
    And yet we've had American writers responsible for writing the scripts and providing the actual blueprint for some of the best Bond films in the series. It's ridiculous. Talent is talent and anybody worth their salt should be the one to do the job. Just stick to the script and all should be fine. Columbus and Cuaron who are American and Mexican respectively directed the first 3 Potter films and they're very British movies.

As for PC, Bond has been a victim of PC for decades now. As for Nolan, he's an English director who made a trilogy of a very American cultural icon, who's leading man was British and yet, there was nothing that compromised the American cultural veil that to varying degrees shrouds the world of batman.

Couldn't disagree more. The reason EON can't produce films on their own is the fact that they don't own all the rights, as the rights owned by Saltzman, who chose not to sell to Broccoli.
    I also don't agree on the notion that SPECTRE is a worse film then TSWLM. On the contrary, I think SP is a lot better, with a Bond far closer to Ian's creation, and a more consistent story which was better filmed as well.
    I don't think many people would object to an American director. Many would, however, object to American cultural elements put in the Bond universe. And that's a risk that's hard to take.
    And Disney are known to mix their frenchises up, or to go utterly PC once in a while. Bond should never be at risk to those forces.

In the end though, I'd love Nolan to helm a Bond film. I think he understood Batman better then anyone before him, and I hope he'll understand Bond very well too.
    With most of it, I have to disagree, sir. Spectre, while an enjoyable piece for me only because it brought back some of the elements in Bond that I loved, is an inferior film compared to The Spy Who Loved Me by far. In my view solely that is, as in speaking for myself. And no, I wouldn't want American cultural elements in a Bond film too much but I wouldn't object to an American director who can deliver a good Bond film. To me, talent matters most.

The primary reason why I don't want Disney to take over Bond is because they go full PC on everything they've got and take. One of the reasons I despise their industry. That's where I agree with you.

While I did love Batman Begins, Nolan didn't fully comprehend Batman. Let's face it, he turned the franchise into a dark and convoluted police story and crime drama with a veiled vigilante called The Dark Knight (very briefly they called him Batman) doing little to nothing to intimidate his opponents. Both The Joker and Bane (along with Talia Al Ghul) totally owned him, and he merely scored a victory in the end. Merely. That's not the Batman I know.