Should Disney buy James Bond in 2016?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,043
    SPECTRE is poor mans SWLM.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @doubleoego as I said, I don't disagree on directors ( or writers) on the basis of their place of birth. Not that I'm too fond of the work of the current scriptwriters, whom in my eyes only produced good scripts if there was enough Fleming material to work with, but nationality isn't an issue. It would be with Bond himself, but not with those producing, directing, writing.
    @ClarkDevlin seems to me the only thing we disagree on is the respective qualities of SP and TSWLM. And Nolan's interpretation of Batman. But I guess Batman has had so many incarnations, even in comic form, that there's a lot of different directions one can take. I always loved the darker versions, as I think Gotham is a very dark place. I think Nolan depicted that, and the glimmer of hope, very well. I also liked the fact that it took him some time to comprehend what the Joker was about. Still the best movie villain ever if you ask me.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I know, Commander. Batman has many interpretations, many earths and many incarnations. However, there are only few writers whose works I love. Greg Rucka's run on the franchise was brilliant, Dini/Timm's Animated Series will always be spectacular, Bob Kane's original gun-wielding caped crusader, Paul Gulacy's and *Doug Moench's* Batman (known by its code 393) who had a Bondian vibe to the story and of course, Lewis Wilson's incarnation (and the first live action Batman).

However, it should be noted that I'm not a fan of Moench's later work in Batman where he turns into a vampire. I think that was called The Red Rain trilogy, if I'm not mistaken. I've given up on DC since the New 52 emerged.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm ok with Nolan as I've said elsewhere. I'm also ok with an American director, as long as they respect the legacy and character. The back end doesn't have to be British. Only Bond needs to be British imho (yes, not Australian or Canadian or whatever, but British).

SP being compared to TSWLM? It's not worthy to wipe its shoes let alone be compared to it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You know more incarnations then I do, but I guess not all of them cross the pond. Never heard of the vampire one. And I don't regret it ;-)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    With Disney we might have villains like THIS one:

wTsRdqvBcAccE.gif
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I will be honest I want Universal. I would also like Antoine Fuqua directing and who directed the equalizer, I would also take Harry Gregson-Williams the Composer on that film and their Cinematographer Mauro Fiore. Cause even though the Script wasn't spot on, its a very well shot film and Score.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes because this is so much better...

jonathan-pryce-karate.gif

doubleoego wrote: »

Have to agree LOL. Jonathan Pryce for me was the worst cast villain in the franchises history, Typical theatre man overly dramatic in delivery, too much acting.
    Like Raoul Silva wasn't any different.

Actually, put some Irish music behind it and I think it works quite fine! ;-)
    Like Raoul Silva wasn't any different.

I don't think the character should have been as flamboyant. Silva is a very camped up performance, I wanted him to feel more of a threat, instead I found myself warming to him, hearing his story, should not happen with a villain.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's some kick he's got there. I like Carver actually. I liked Silva too. I'll take either of them over the latest Blofeld. Bond villains should have a little camp to them imho.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,000
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's some kick he's got there. I like Carver actually. I liked Silva too. I'll take either of them over the latest Blofeld. Bond villains should have a little camp to them imho.

Yes. Carver was a great villain. It wasn't bad acting, it was purposeful over-acting.

You just envy his moves. ;)
    Carver is a fantastic villain. Period.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Elliot Carver puts clowns like Silva to shame.
    At least Carver was a real villain with a very sinister plot and a mass murderer as well.

That scene where he mocks Wai Lin is absolutely hilarious and well done.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Let's try and keep things on topic. I'm sure we have a Silva/Carver discussion thread(s) elsewhere.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Carver and Stamper are probably my favorite Main villain/henchman combo in the franchise in the last few decades.
  • If Disney owns Marvel, does that mean 'Captain America: Winter Soldier' is technically a Disney film? I wouldn't mind having a Bond film in that style.

Yes, Captain America: Winter Soldier is technically a Disney film as are the other Marvel movies.

• edited March 2016 Posts: 2,115
    //Like I said Could Disney do a good job and just supply the money to eon and let them do what they want .//

Nobody just gives money to a production company and lets them do what they want.

For example, it was United Artists, about as hands off as you could hope for, that wanted Connery back for Diamonds Are Forever, not Eon.

For that matter, Film Finances -- the company that provided a "completion bond" for Dr. No and isn't even a studio -- had an impact on that movie's post production after it took control of the movie away from Eon after budget overruns. Two days of post-production filming, to complete key scenes, was rescheduled into one because of Film Finances. More than half of Terence Young's fee was impounded until Film Finances got its money back.

Any studio that gets involved (whether it be as MGM's partner, a la Sony the past four movies, or if it buys MGM and Eon) is going to expect a say in the enterprise.
  • From earlier in the thread:

//Bob Kane's original gun-wielding caped crusader//

Those stories were actually written by Bill Finger, who only recently has gotten credit for co-creating the character. Gardner Fox also wrote some of the early stories of that era.

Finger came up with, among other things, the Bruce Wayne true identity, Bruce Wayne back story and pretty much totally changed the costume from Kane's original sketches.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/a-dawn-of-justice-for-batmans-overlooked-co-creator-bill-finger/article29273628/
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Oh I know, I was just aiming at the original character, which for years was credited to Bob Kane. I know Bill Finger submitted more work on Batman than its "creator" did, and it's only respectful gesture from the people who possess ownership of the character to give Bill Finger a credit, too. At this point, Bob Kane in reality did little to nothing but coming up with the idea of a vigilante disguised as a bat. He called him "Bat-Man", right? Not Batman.
  • Oh I know, I was just aiming at the original character, which for years was credited to Bob Kane. I know Bill Finger submitted more work on Batman than its "creator" did, and it's only respectful gesture from the people who possess ownership of the character to give Bill Finger a credit, too. At this point, Bob Kane in reality did little to nothing but coming up with the idea of a vigilante disguised as a bat. He called him "Bat-Man", right? Not Batman.

@Clark: Understood your intent. Was just providing additional background for those less familiar. And, yes, Kane originally called him Bat-Man.

Don't knock him!!! I dance like that! :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    With Disney we might have villains like THIS one:

wTsRdqvBcAccE.gif

In the film that Dana Broccoli saw and insisted that Sean Connery be Eon's choice for the role of James Bond let us not forget!
  • That kung fu moment from Jonathan Pryce was one of the best moments in TND.
    Carver compared to Silva??

Pryce is one of the worst villains of the series.

Silva was so much better, Waltz wasn't bad just dull and disappointing.
    Or perhaps you just don't understand the character. Think about it, he's not that different from all the flamboyant television hosts and media moguls of the day.

What did Silva represent other than being a soap opera artist?
    Or perhaps you just don't understand the character. Think about it, he's not that different from all the flamboyant television hosts and media moguls of the day.

I perfectly understand the character its a terrible performance nearly as shocking as his Northern Irish accent in Ronin.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I perfectly understand the character its a terrible performance nearly as shocking as his Northern Irish accent in Ronin.
    Well, then if you believe that, neither of us are going to convince one another the otherwise of what we believe.