Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• I prefer a tough bond to a suave, soft Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    I prefer a tough bond to a suave, soft Bond.

Suave does not equal soft. Suave is the exterior, tough the interior. That's the dichotomy that most exemplifies Bond for me.
  • I agree with that, but the weaker bonds have been more suave and nice, and I don't know if that makes for an interesting Bond. The character is more interesting when he is unpredictable, and the suave, soft Bonds are much more predictable, for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree with that, but the weaker bonds have been more suave and nice, and I don't know if that makes for an interesting Bond. The character is more interesting when he is unpredictable, and the suave, soft Bonds are much more predictable, for me.
    That is a fair observation, especially of the most recent one. However, I think it's possible to combine both but it's a rare actor who can. It depends on their skill.

Suave is not that easy to do well imho. I think one either has it, or doesn't. Same goes for edginess and unpredictability.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Tom Hardy can be anything.

He could play Margaret Thatcher if he puts his mind to it.

Bond would be an easy task for him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Then he could reenact the end scene of FYEO ala the Kray twins film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

I enjoyed Hardy in Child 44.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Hardy reminds me of a more contemporary Michael Caine. A bit 'street' for Bond I think but certainly suitable for Get Carter.

Answers the 'fighter' question readily, but not the 'lover' imho.

Street is good for Bond. Connery and Lazenby were cleaned up street guys. Polish the thug and you get an interesting Bond. Bring in the pretty boys and my eyes start to roll.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I know Henry Cavil can't because he is superman but i want someone who looks like him.

my Favorite for the next Bond is Charlie Hunnam he would satisfy the fans of the two most Recent Bond actors, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.
    He has the face and charm of Pierce and the body and bad ass attitude of Craig.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 13,882
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Is it The Night Manager that has started the Hiddleston for Bond idea? Because I have watched the last two episodes, and he lacks that certain extra quality for Bond.

Page 6 of this thread did.

I'm not sure that I understand what I am supposed to look for on page 6. I saw the pictures of Hiddleston on that page, but those are just pictures, they don't give as clear an idea as watching him act in something. I will say that I would rather see Hiddleston cast than Hardy, Hardy is too full-on, too aggressive looking for Bond. But based of off what I saw in And Then There Were None, Turner gets my vote. While he has more polish than the likes of Hardy, he doesn't look a push over either. He can also give of the vibes of someone with a past.

Of course, I would like to see Craig make one more Bond...
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Is it The Night Manager that has started the Hiddleston for Bond idea? Because I have watched the last two episodes, and he lacks that certain extra quality for Bond.

I've watched the first two episodes of The Night Manager. I guess I kinda agree with you, Major. Like Micheal Fassbender, there is something missing. Still, Hiddleston is a great actor, and he fits the bill perfectly, build wise - tall and lean. Out of all the names mentioned though, he's my pick.

I was interesting to see Hiddleston play something else besides Loki. Trouble is, he doesn't get to show us what type of Bond he would be, although, when he roughs up that dope head down in Devon, I could see potential.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Other picks
    Richard Madden
    Theo James

I think it's highly important the classic obvious good looks for the next Bond.
  • Szonana wrote: »
    I know Henry Cavil can't because he is superman but i want someone who looks like him.

my Favorite for the next Bond is Charlie Hunnam he would satisfy the fans of the two most Recent Bond actors, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.

Yes, and without the softness of Hiddleston.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Here is a fun clip of one of my favourite action-comedies with Tom Hardy.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fn1XbToXuwo"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you have seen This Means War you know Hardy can play Bond.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »

Yes, and without the softness of Hiddleston.

Yes Charlie Hunnam is a win win choice. Not too soft but not much of a brute.
    Like i said he is is half Brosnan, Connery and Moore and half Craig and Dalton.

He would make Happy the fans of all the previous bond actors

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No, he wouldn t.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Watch: This Means War
    Tom Hardy can be suave!!

Oh no... No.

I must say I don't agree with that movie recommendation. It's horrible. I felt sympathy for the actors, and none of them came off well in it - no surprise there, considering the hack who directed it, and the story was embarrassingly bad. It was even visually ugly. No redeeming features at all. Not even Tom Hardy. I like him very, very much, and he's amazing (not that I would want him as Bond), but gawddammit that movie... X_X
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/07/next-james-bond-tom-hardy-tom-hiddleston-idris-elba

The Guardian asks the question: Who should be the next James Bond? 6 contenders are presented, and no surprises here.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Interesting, Tom Hardy seems to be the favourite, " If you play the odds" :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Aidan turner seems to be surging in the polls :D

You are really crazy for him, aren't you? ;)
    I certainly know about crazy, but its funny to read.
    Germanlady wrote: »

You are really crazy for him, aren't you? ;)
    I certainly know about crazy, but its funny to read.

Compared to Elba, Hardy, Hiddy, he is in a league of his own. I'm surprised more people don't see it. I mean, he even looks like Connery. I have confidence that EON is quietly keeping an eye on him and are reaching for the checkbook as we speak! Aidan Turner 2016! \m/
    So a Connery look-a-like is all that's needed ? :))
    zebrafish wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/07/next-james-bond-tom-hardy-tom-hiddleston-idris-elba

The Guardian asks the question: Who should be the next James Bond? 6 contenders are presented, and no surprises here.

Damian Lewis would be an interresting choice in the case of a back to "Gentleman Bond" a bit like Moore (without the creepy bad jokes) but as for Elba he would be 46/47 for Bond 25 so too old and therefore out of the game imho. Besides if Elba get the job, media will make him "Black Bond" and that will bothered me even if I have aboslutely no problem with the idea of having a Bond Black.

Tom Hardy I'm affraid is too "Craig style" physically speaking and I think if we have a new actor we also should have a new Bond. Moore tried to be Connery in his first two movies and it didn't work that well. Also the jokes weren't the best part of Dalton's films.

Henry Cavill, let him be Superman in Snyder's shit (Yeah I think that Man of Steel is awfull :) ).

Tom Hiddleston could be great I believe even if there's something weird with his face, I don't know it's very personnal can't really explain.

And finally...Aidan well still have to see how he can play but he looks great on pics :)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,969
    So a Connery look-a-like is all that's needed ? :))

Well, it certainly won't hurt. :)
    Is anyone watching Tom Huddleston in" The Night Manager" on the BBC ?
    It's a brilliant espionage series, and Tom is very good in it. Very different
    To a Bond film, but he is a good actor.
    Please don't compare Lewis to Roger. Roger was a fine looking man. :-O I have NO idea, how he would even get into the race. Some say, Daniel is weird looking and sometimes that's true, but this guy sure looks weird ALL the time ;)

With Hiddle there is something missing in my book. Too cold fish. If he smiles, nothing happens. He just moves his mouth. Never reaches the eye.

Turner was sorta cute in Hobbit, but as Bond? Dunno. He looks like Fleming might have written him, but then, none of the other did. ;)
    Then again the Producers might surprise us all, with a unknown. ;)
    Then again the Producers might surprise us all, with a unknown. ;)

I think this is most likely actually.