Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

tanaka123 wrote: »
    I really think they shouldn't go with Turner. He's not Bond in my eyes.

don't worry, you can join Turnerisnotbond.com when he is cast. >:)

Funnily enough I've just literally being on danielcraigisnotbond.com to see if it's still going - it's still quite amusing. It really was ridiculous the negative reaction he got when he was announced.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Other than as a hobbit I really haven't seen Turner act. That would be the deciding factor for me.

And of course we all know it's my ultimate decision :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Hiddle for me please.....and sooner rather than later if possible. I'd prefer to have a new fresh, edgy direction and he will deliver. Somehow, I think he's getting too much press for it to happen really, but I hope I'm wrong.

Hardy for a villain for sure, and especially if Craig is back. The two of them against each other would be phenomenal.
  • RC7RC7
    Turner is the dark side of Dalton mixed with the charm and suave of Connery. I think he could be the greatest Bond ever. Fingers crossed EON have an eye on him as we speak! :x

I think this is why I prefer Hiddleston. I think he'd be unique and not at all a blend of any previous Bonds.
    Seeing the clip posted of Turner here earlier from that Christie adaptation didn't do anything for me. He's got the look, but I remain to be convinced that he has the abilities to suggest menace. Seems a little lightweight from that clip (admittedly brief and perhaps too inconsequential to form a rational judgement from).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Other than as a hobbit I really haven't seen Turner act. That would be the deciding factor for me.

And of course we all know it's my ultimate decision :))

He plays a very Cruel, headstrong character in 'And Then There Were Fewer'. Very similar to Bond. He even wears a tux in that. Something tells me he would jump at the chance to play Bond and make the role his own. He is also the perfect age. If the next Bond film comes out in 2018, he will be 34, so he could play Bond for well over a decade and still be convincing. Elba and Hardy are past it in that regard. They could pull a Dalton and be an interim Bond, keep the suit warm for the next guy. But I'm telling you, this guy has it! Also he is the perfect amount of famous. He is at the point in his career where he seems poised to break in a big way, like Chris Pratt did a few years ago. Bond would be his big break. Elba, Hiddy and Hardy are all established film stars. Turner has had some good success on television, but Bond could be the role that makes him a true star in Hollywood.
    Can someone post a brief clip of where Turner is supposedly 'Bond like'. I did not see it in the Christie clip from earlier. Voice projection and mannerisms were more effete than strong, to me at least.
    Connery and Craig and Dalton where relatively obscure when they started playing Bond, they all turned out great. Turner is the only proper candidate I have seen who isn't already a big name. EON know better than to cast a known face. When people see Turned they will think 'that's James Bond' because they don't him from anywhere else. If they look at Tom Hardy they will always see the film star before they see the character.
    As I said, Turner definitely has the look. However, Bond is far more than a look, as I unfortunately discovered some years back.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Oh, he can act as well. No problem there.
    bondjames wrote: »
    As I said, Turner definitely has the look. However, Bond is far more than a look, as I unfortunately discovered some years back.

Turners strength (or one of them) is playing cruelty well. He reminds me of Dalton in LTK, and Connery in DN. I imagine he would play Bond as the ruthless, unlikable figure he should be, with some cynical humour mixed in. He wouldn't be some chubby funster, that's for sure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Is it The Night Manager that has started the Hiddleston for Bond idea? Because I have watched the last two episodes, and he lacks that certain extra quality for Bond.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    For me, it was Loki that suggested he had what was required for Bond. His screen charisma is incredible. The only guy who could stand toe to toe with him in Avengers was Downey Jr. who has it dripping off him as well.

Plus he has a certain darkness and disturbed quality to his mannerisms that suggests inner conflict and turmoil. Like Bale & early Craig. Something burns within.

I haven't seen The Night Manager, but I'm happy to hear that it's not quite Bondian, because that means he's not given it away yet. I think a combination of The Night Manager, Avengers and High Rise will give the full picture of what he can bring as Bond.
    I think Bond should be played by an actor who can play a good Villain. In the Book
    TSWLM he was mistaken at first for another Ganster. So having a look, that could
    Turn to "Crule" would be a good point for me
    Yeah we need to get the sense of Bond being dangerous and single-minded. Charisma isn't the be-all and end-all, though Turner has it in droves.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Is it The Night Manager that has started the Hiddleston for Bond idea? Because I have watched the last two episodes, and he lacks that certain extra quality for Bond.

Page 6 of this thread did.

Just as a side note, the opening titles to The Night Manager, are fantastic. :)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Let's say for the sake of argument that Craig is done. When do you think we will get an announcement for Bond actor no. 007? I assume it'll be late 2017, right?

If an actor is offered the part, they should take it. Bond actors have a 100 percent rate of making it to their 80's so far. that's a little sweetener in the deal. :-bd
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I can't decide over Hiddleston. He has a certain coolness to him that suggests he might pull it off. He doesn't look like he is trying too hard which is so important.

But.....aaaarggh I'm not sure. I think he can take the role on, but would he be another controversial choice? I mean a blonde Bond? What's that all about?

I watched Turner in the Agatha Christie thing and one of the episodes of Poldark, and he looked ok, but I'm not sure he has what it takes to frontline a Bond film. That big screen charisma thingy.

Hardy, I don't like much.

If it had to be one of those three I would pitch in with Hiddleston..just.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,087
    NicNac wrote: »
    I can't decide over Hiddleston. He has a certain coolness to him that suggests he might pull it off. He doesn't look like he is trying too hard which is so important.

But.....aaaarggh I'm not sure. I think he can take the role on, but would he be another controversial choice? I mean a blonde Bond? What's that all about?

I watched Turner in the Agatha Christie thing and one of the episodes of Poldark, and he looked ok, but I'm not sure he has what it takes to frontline a Bond film. That big screen charisma thingy.

Hardy, I don't like much.

If it had to be one of those three I would pitch in with Hiddleston..just.

Hardy is a good actor, but... well, he strikes me as being a bit self-obsessed, not very outgoing. He can't answer simple questions from the press without being condescending. I think he would be worse than Craig is with the press, and damage the brand with his comments.
    In The Night Manager, Hiddleston isn't playing an up front hero, like Bond. Rather
    a man who gets caught up in events. I think from his other roles, he could play a
    hard Bast*rd when needed. :)
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Lets not forget Dan Stevens, he should round up Top 3 strongest candidates with Hiddleston and Turner.
    Bring them in for an extensive testing and let the best man win.

If Craig is really done.
    And Fassbender is a no go.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond actors have a 100 percent rate of making it to their 80's so far.

Two out of six isn t 100 per cent. Or do you tell the future?

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    StanKobra wrote: »
    Lets not forget Dan Stevens, he should round up Top 3 strongest candidates with Hiddleston and Turner.
    Bring them in for an extensive testing and let the best man win.

i could see all 3 of them getting the role. it depends entirely on what the story and the tone will be. After that it is about getting the guy who fits the movie.

If Bond 25 is set to be released late 2018 I believe an announcement more around mid 2017. And honnestly even if I think Craig was/is a great 007, all the excitement about his succesor make me want him to quit :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

100 per cent made it to their 40s so far. Which is pretty good.
  • Here's the Kray bothers trailer starring Tom Hardy, and he'd be just great as a tough, tough Bond:

Hardy reminds me of a more contemporary Michael Caine. A bit 'street' for Bond I think but certainly suitable for Get Carter.

Answers the 'fighter' question readily, but not the 'lover' imho.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hardy reminds me of a more contemporary Michael Caine. A bit 'street' for Bond I think but certainly suitable for Get Carter.

Answers the 'fighter' question readily, but not the 'lover' imho.

he doesn't like to be questioned about that, either.