The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Here's the actual poster.
    Magnus_Mask_Dom_RGB_1600x2366.jpg
  • Doesn't look good for Bats.

Sweet poster.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 23,561
    When the Nolan trilogy is completed, I'll be a happy dude, looking back on these 2 (3?) great movies. I like the darker Batman stories, whether in comic book / graphic novel form or as films. And who knows, maybe the next thing that we see Batman appear in will be lighter in tone. With Avengers coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if WB went for a JLA film.
    Doesn't look good for Bats.
    Apparently the prologue contains a one-minute montage of shots from the film - the unanimous favourite of which was Bane holding a broken bat mask.
    Apparently the prologue contains a one-minute montage of shots from the film - the unanimous favourite of which was Bane holding a broken bat mask.

Sounds like excellent imagery.

Sounds like excellent imagery.

So are we going to have Bane and the beginning of the film - do the business on the Bat and it takes Batman 8 years to recover, to rise and get medieval on Bane's arse?

Sorry I'm not blonde just a tad confused.

No, the opening shot is Harvey Dent's funeral. It then segues to the prologue proper, set eight years later.

I don't think Bane is going to break Batman's back. I think he's going to break Commissioner Gordon's. The effect will be the same; Bane will break the Bat. But he will do it psychologically, not physically. The Joker's m.o. was to force Batman into making impossible moral choices, but he never consciously went after Batman's allies. He simply did whatever he thought would create the most chaos at any given time. I think that Bane, on the other hand, will intentionally target each of Batman's allies to try and wear him down. One of the big things about Bane in the 'Knightfall' story arc was that he was intelligent enough to recognise that he could not defeat Batman in straight fight - so he set criminals loose in Gotham to wear Batman down, and then picked his moment to attack. If Bane goes after Batman's allies, he can weaken Batman's mental state and simply overpower him.
  • No, the opening shot is Harvey Dent's funeral. It then segues to the prologue proper, set eight years later.

I don't think Bane is going to break Batman's back. I think he's going to break Commissioner Gordon's. The effect will be the same; Bane will break the Bat. But he will do it psychologically, not physically. The Joker's m.o. was to force Batman into making impossible moral choices, but he never consciously went after Batman's allies. He simply did whatever he thought would create the most chaos at any given time. I think that Bane, on the other hand, will intentionally target each of Batman's allies to try and wear him down. One of the big things about Bane in the 'Knightfall' story arc was that he was intelligent enough to recognise that he could not defeat Batman in straight fight - so he set criminals loose in Gotham to wear Batman down, and then picked his moment to attack. If Bane goes after Batman's allies, he can weaken Batman's mental state and simply overpower him.

Is it confirmed the prologue is set the eight years later? It seems odd to have that amount of time take place off screen without Batman immobilized. I don't believe Batman would just hide out for 8 years over the Dent. And it would be awkward to fade to black and say "Batman and Gordon fought crime for eight years. The joker broke out a few times. Batman sent him back. All was well...until: plane hijacking."

I seriously doubt there would be a title card explaining that. The official plot synopsis says Bruce Wayne will come out of retirement after eight years. Bane isn't going to break his back, then leave the city while he recovers, and then return nearly a decade later.

At the end of THE DARK KNIGHT, the Joker has been captured and the mob has been shut down. Gotham is in a state where they don't really need Batman anymore. Certainly not on a nightly basis. With the memory of Harvey Dent intact, they can take care of themselves. And so Batman has mostly retired; the final shots of THE DARK KNIGHT imply that the chase from the docklands was the last time anyone saw Batman.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Wow, this new poster only reinforces this is the end.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 555
    At the end of THE DARK KNIGHT, the Joker has been captured and the mob has been shut down. Gotham is in a state where they don't really need Batman anymore. Certainly not on a nightly basis. With the memory of Harvey Dent intact, they can take care of themselves. And so Batman has mostly retired; the final shots of THE DARK KNIGHT imply that the chase from the docklands was the last time anyone saw Batman.

Bravo. The nightly basis bit is key, however. As long as Batman has intervened a few times in the 8 years, I could get behind a semiretirement. Doesn't seem much like Wayne though. What will he do?

That being said, it was my impression that the Bat is broken and Bane rules over Gotham for 8 years. Thought it would be hard to explain what happened to Bruce Wayne and why he has the same injuries as Batman.
    Samuel001 wrote:

It's the word "ends" isn't it? ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:

It's the word "ends" isn't it? ;)[/quote]

Of course. :)) That and my "how will Nolan end the series" discussion yesterday.
    I love it and I am quite glad they choose Bane.
    ‎"It doesn't matter who we are what matters is our plan" Bane The Dark Knight Rises

the trailer will be out Friday. it will be awesome
    Nice poster. I take it that's a fan made effort. Very good nonetheless. Friday should be great, I'm looking forward to the first proper trailer.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Nice poster. I take it that's a fan made effort. Very good nonetheless. Friday should be great, I'm looking forward to the first proper trailer.

I'm looking forward to the first six minutes! MI:GP in IMAX here I come!
    Samuel001 wrote:

As am I.. we should be getting details about it as early as tomorrow

• Saw the trailer today. Maybe I was expecting too much; I found it underwhelming. Sherlock Holmes was great, btw. :)
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 9,773
    are you joking i found the trailer brilliant and I only have a bootleg copy...

"When Gotham is in ashes you have my permission to die" Bane

just so EPIC!

The bootleg copy of the prologue i have is also awesome

"It doesn't matter who we are what matters is our plan"

and good I plan on seeing Sherlock Holmes 2 along with Ghost protocol and the girl with the dragon tattoo
  • I probably have to see it again. Really not what I expected. I guess I thought it would be like TDK's trailer.

You're not planning on seeing Tintin?
    no doesn't look to be my thing..

as for the trailer i liked the focus on Bruce/batman I think trailer 2 will be about the villains a bit more.

Also darthdimi though it's probably BS early rumors suggest Wb wants the riddler and man-bat to be the villains for the follow up to TDKR
  • Damn I was hoping TDKR trailer is with Sherlock Holmes but it not except the one we saw already....... but I think there was a few small new parts
    Risico007 wrote:
    I think trailer 2 will be about the villains a bit more.
    That's unlikely. Although Nolan isn't responsible for editing the trailers himself, the studio does have a pattern (most likely at his request). The trailers aren't based around characters. They're based around the theme of the film. The trailer attached to SHERLOCK HOLMES 2 is an expansion of the trailer released with DEATHLY HALLOWS. The next trailer will likely elaborate further on this. Any inclusion of the villains will be to emphasise the theme of the film, rather than to give information about those characters. Nolan likes to keep details of the characters to himself. There's been nothing about Miranda Tate, very little about Selina Kyle, and the only things we have been shown of Bane are there to demonstrate the theme.
  • Risico007 wrote:
    I think trailer 2 will be about the villains a bit more.
    That's unlikely. Although Nolan isn't responsible for editing the trailers himself, the studio does have a pattern (most likely at his request). The trailers aren't based around characters. They're based around the theme of the film. The trailer attached to SHERLOCK HOLMES 2 is an expansion of the trailer released with DEATHLY HALLOWS. The next trailer will likely elaborate further on this. Any inclusion of the villains will be to emphasise the theme of the film, rather than to give information about those characters. Nolan likes to keep details of the characters to himself. There's been nothing about Miranda Tate, very little about Selina Kyle, and the only things we have been shown of Bane are there to demonstrate the theme.

I seen the trailer, and I can tell you that you're dead wrong.
    You hear a lot from Catwoman/Selina Kyle, who's being played as a sophisticated thief/robin hood-antihero, and Bane, who's kicking ass and just being damn tough. Oh, and Miranda Tate gets a glance too (A fleeting image)
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,894
    I've seen the trailer, too. And it's certainly not what Risico007 is looking for, a trailer that informs everyone about who a certain character is and what they have to do with the story. Based on the dialogue within the trailer - and I admit, it was a dodgy bootleg - it's still centred on the theme of the film, even if Selina appears in it.

PS - Any student of mine who said "I seen" instead of "I have seen" or "I've seen" would probably get a mountain of grammar homework.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 4,619
    This is a teaser trailer. We are 7 months away from the film. Of course they won't reveal more so early.
    no that's not what i'm looking for at all I'm looking for some more Bane and Catwoman quotes..

I knew the characters and I have a general idea of where Nolan is going with the 2 villains... are there still gonna be surprises when the film comes out of course but that is true of any film, if Javier Bardem was playing Von Hammerstein for example sure us bond fans would know the character based on the short story but there would be so many elements we wouldn't know.

I don't need characters spelled out for me but a couple of cool quotes is always good.
    I'm going to have to try and hunt the trailer and prologue down. Dying to see it by it's nowhere to be found. I'm off to look!

I like what I hear though, I don't really expect anything, I'm opening minded as to what we're shown. As @PanchitoPistoles, we've still got over half a year to go until release.