The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

It's not a dumb question - it's just a discussion that we've had over and over and again in the past.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    How long passed between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? It seems about a year but is there any definite answer?

Nine years is one big span of time for a three film series.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Right-- Batman Begins, we see Bruce actually turn 30 (background at Wayne Manor for the birthday party)- then in TDK Joker clearly says 'about a year ago', referring to when Bats first showed up, so now DKR has Bruce at 39 years old. A good age for Bats I think. That's about how old I always imagined he was in the comics (but that's to include ALL the Robin's and all the history)
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    That's where my thought came from but has anyone, say Nolan, confirmed it was a year? It may have been only 11 moths, for example.

I realise it's not important, I'd just love to know the time scale.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 12,837
    I like bane but to be honest I'd rather have seen what nolan could do with riddler, i think jim carrey should play him again, and i also kind of wanted to see what nolans version of robin would be like. I'm sad that this is nolans last film as director because there is alot more that i want to see his take on. I'll give the new reboot a chance but im not sure I'll like it. And why do they have to do justice league???? I think the whole avengers/justice league concept is a stupid one.
  • Right-- Batman Begins, we see Bruce actually turn 30 (background at Wayne Manor for the birthday party)- then in TDK Joker clearly says 'about a year ago', referring to when Bats first showed up, so now DKR has Bruce at 39 years old. A good age for Bats I think. That's about how old I always imagined he was in the comics (but that's to include ALL the Robin's and all the history)

i imagined he was around that age too
    I like bane but to be honest I'd rather have seen what nolan could do with riddler, i think jim carrey should play him again, and i also kind of wanted to see what nolans version of robin would be like.
    That reminds me a bit of Spielberg saying he put this and this and that dinosaur into JP2 because so many kids asked him for it. The easiest way to screw up a story IMHO. I appreciate very much that Nolan does not use all the most favorite characters, but instead nails down a compelling story and makes something amazing out of every character, famous or not. Which hopefully he will do again with this film.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2011 Posts: 28,694
    ^
    Nolan used the best comics villain ever in TDK so I don't fully agree with that.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 268
    I like bane but to be honest I'd rather have seen what nolan could do with riddler, i think jim carrey should play him again, and i also kind of wanted to see what nolans version of robin would be like. I'm sad that this is nolans last film as director because there is alot more that i want to see his take on. I'll give the new reboot a chance but im not sure I'll like it. And why do they have to do justice league???? I think the whole avengers/justice league concept is a stupid one.

This is what Nolan has to say about the choice of villains and more specifically about The Riddler:
    The world of Batman, indeed the world of all graphic novels, deals with archetypes, and there's a very real sense in which The Joker is an extreme and an absolute and Batman is an extreme and an absolute. So when you're looking to continue the story - in this case finish Bruce Wayne and Batman's story, as we see it - then you certainly don't want a watered-down version of a character you've already done. You want a different archetype. What Bane represents in the comics is the ultimate physical villain.

And I agree with him completely. Batman has already fought a mental game, now its time for som brute force.
  • Prologue Details leaked:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=85010
    Very interesting to see how Bane is introduced very similarly to the Joker in TDK - but I have yet to fully understand how the plane jacking is taking place. And Bane carrying a half-broken Batman mask?! Sweet!

• edited December 2011 Posts: 4,619
    About the 6 minute prologue:

" Think less The Dark Knight and more Inception or, even closer, an IMAX version of a James Bond film."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169007-weve-seen-the-dark-knight-rises-imax-prologue

Sounds good!
    Nolan, just go and make a Bond film. Stop toying with us!

The ski scene in Inception, and now this?!
    Well, he can't just say "I'm going to make a Bond film". EON have to be interested first. And Nolan tends to write (or at least co-write) and direct; EON may not be comfortable with giving someone - even Christopher Nolan - that amount of creative control.
    Well, he can't just say "I'm going to make a Bond film". EON have to be interested first. And Nolan tends to write (or at least co-write) and direct; EON may not be comfortable with giving someone - even Christopher Nolan - that amount of creative control.

Sorry, subliminal mind stikes again. I meant to say spy film. whoops!
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Nolan, just go and make a spy film. Stop toying with us!

The ski scene in Inception, and now this?!

Well, they let Marc Forster make an art house Bond film. And although they held the reigns on CR, they proved to be pretty unafraid on that one too. And a Nolan Bond film would be safe cash for them.

The only reason I´m not sure about Nolan for Bond is his tendency to bleak colours and lights. A Bond film should be a bright light show.

I've managed to find a report online that posted a little bit more detail about the prologue than any of the other accounts:
    The scene is a money-for-prisoner exchange between the CIA and a group of national rebels, possibly Georgians. The rebels hand over four prisoners, including Dr. Leonid Patel, a Russian nuclear physicist. They are apparently quite apprehensive about "him" when asked by the CIA, and are clearly referring to Bane. Bane reveals himself as one of the prisoners the CIA traded for, and hijacks the plane in mid-air. From the sounds of things, he literally plucks it out of the sky with a larger plane and a series of cables, and most of it done with practical effects. I'm getting a real CLIFFHANGER and LICENCE TO KILL vibe from the descriptions - CLIFFHANGER's famous mid-air heist, and LICENCE TO KILL's "fishing expedition" contain some of the best aerial stuntwork that I've ever seen. With Nolan at the helm, this could be one of the best stunt sequences ever filmed.
    Apparently, however, there have been a lot of complaints about Bane. A lot of his dialogue is obscured by his mask and a British accent.
    The start of this film sounds very good but I wonder how will Nolan end the film and close his three-film series? What sort of 'conclusion' will it have?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    What sort of 'conclusion' will it have?

He'll probably kill Bruce Wayne.

Agent005 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Really?! That's a big move and surely not the only way to go.
    Well, I was almost joking with that one, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me too much.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/advanced-batman-theory-why-nolan-will-kill-bruce-wayne/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    The writer of that article is an absolute idiot. I hardly made it through that garbage.
    Yeah, the article isn't exactly impressive, but his points do make some sense.

Would Nolan actually kill off Batman? I doubt it, but like I said, it wouldn't surprise me too much.
    Agent005 wrote:

Would Nolan actually kill off Batman? I doubt it, but like I said, it wouldn't surprise me too much.

None of his points made any sense. He just sat there and wrote without considering what he was typing and tried to make everything sound acceptable. And no, Nolan will not kill off Bruce/Batman. That is absolutely unfounded and furthermore ludicrous.
    I don't think Nolan will kill Batman off, but I do believe he will end RISES in such a way that it makes any subsequent films very difficult to integrate into his timeline. The last thing he wants is someone like Brett Ratner coming along and making a sub-par film set in the Nolanverse; it would just drag Nolan's work down with it. So I think the end of RISES will be not unlike Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, with Batman (and possibly some of his allies) retreating to prepare themselves for the battle against the next great evil because Gotham will be in a state where it can take care of itself and no longer needs Batman on a nightly basis.
  • Agent005 wrote:

None of his points made any sense. He just sat there and wrote without considering what he was typing and tried to make everything sound acceptable. And no, Nolan will not kill off Bruce/Batman. That is absolutely unfounded and furthermore ludicrous.

I don't think it's not that out of the question. Nolan explicitly stated that TDKR would be a "definitive end" to the series and have a fitting conclusion that "can't be blown up like a balloon" as in the comics. So while killing Bruce Wayne off might be unpopular and surprising, it's also the most legitimate end that fits within the range he wants to finish the trilogy.

WB has made it clear they will reboot Batman again in 2015, so it wouldn't be necessary for Nolan to have a open end for the sake of continuity.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 5,745
    He's gonna pass it on to Levitt. And I will delete this post. And you didn't need to, nor have to. Twas what the spoiler tag was for :P
    I didn't need to read that.
    I didn't need to read that.

Yeah. Agreed. (draws line marked with DO NOT CROSS)
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Agent005 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Really?! That's a big move and surely not the only way to go.

I take it the film is set 8 years on from the last one. A new batman in 2015 - well why not go another 8 years on and have 45-50 yr old Batman? It would be a change from what we have seen again and again with new Batman's in the past.

So a 50 year old batman - I would have suggested Liam Neeson but he's near enough 60 now.

So Hugh Jackman - once he hangs up his claws.

• New Poster fellas...my god

bg3.jpg