Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Understood :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    And Jackie Chan would be great at Shaft. Let's go for it. If SP didn't kill Bond let's see what Elba can do.

Eventually Bond will be dead and we can all be friends >:D<

PLEASE NOTE I DONT CARE WHAT RACE OR CREED ELBA IS. I JUST DONT SEE BOND'S TRADITIONAL AUDIENCE WHICH IS STILL OLDER IN THE US ACCEPTING HIM. THATS ALL SO DONT ATTACK ME FOR BEING RACIST.

Then why the mocking note?

And the studio is trying to lure the younger, perhaps more open-minded fans.

Why not a sarcastic note? Sorry Fleming's Bond is white. Shaft is Black ...(Grant it that character itself is a stereotype ..but then so is Bond.)

Acting is the only job you can legally consider race or sex. Who would've wanted Jack Black to play Madeleine?
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 725
    RC7 wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    Elba as Roland? Wouldn't really put him in that role, if that's true is Susannah going to be white now?! Part of the character dynamics for me was that Roland was caucasian and Susannah black.

That is the exact reason so many lovers of the books are so upset with the news of Elba as Roland. It totally destroys the critical character of, and relationship dynamic with Roland of Susannah. The thought police are iof course in full cry screaming "racism" over those upset with this casting. Most of them have never read the books. Some site King's comments. Yeah, right, see the other author's ok with Criuise as Reacher, a totally physically bogus choice for Reacher.. Same authors sell out for finally getting a film made.

Also I can't see Susannah as anything other than the way she's written (her ethnicity and social standing), and with both her and Roland black it would change their relationship. I'm excited that TDT will be made but not to sure about the casting.

I've never read The Dark Tower books (although I really should), but they do sound damn good. What's the reason for people being pissed off about Elba?

It's not his race. Roles can be cast all the times with no problem if the race is changed. But this change in race ruins the entire Roland/Suzannah story arc. To me she is the most complex and difficult character of the 3 leads, and she is black. She has a violent hatred towards Roland as she considers him a racist. Exactly how do you make this work if they are both black. It will destroy the character of Susannah given her story arc if they make her white, at the very least they will have to radically rewrite her character and their relationship for it to make any sense. Sadly they will likely greatly diminish the character to deal with this.

There was a very hostile reaction on various web sites related to the Tower books over the casting of Elba for this very reason. The anger had nothing to do with Elba's race, it had everything to do with how the lovers of the books felt an extraordinary character and a critical relationship arc were being destroyed.

Interesting aside, as someone else noted, Craig was said to be offered the role of Roland by Sony years ago, and I also read somewhere that Naomi Harris was being considered for Suzannah. Harris actually would be good as Suzannah - it's a great role as written in the books. But the character will be changed to white or diminished, it is the only way they can likely rewrite it to make sense. I'm sure she is not thrilled with this development. King has obviously been desperate to get the books filmed as they have been a huge long time effort for him, and there have been many false fits and starts to getting the Tower books filmed. Elba certainly has the talent to fill the role, but the plot will need reworking. Welcome to Hollywood. If the first film is successful, he'll totally be out of the Bond game as they will be filming the Tower books for years.
  • Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree. There's an unfortunate, extensive history of caucasian actors playing other roles. This is a new era where people are starting to be judged differently, and I have no problem with Ebla playing the character if he gives the best screen test. I also think Tom Hardy should be a candidate as well.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Elba is a great actor, I'm certain he'll give a fantastic performance.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    After seeing Elba in Beasts Of No Nation I think he would be a brilliant villain in a Bond movie.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 725
    Elba is a major talent, with charisma to burn. The Tower series will likely be his entry into A+ list super stardom. But the books will be complicated and expensive to film. I would bet they will work, and possible be great on film, but only time will tell.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hope y'all aren't missing my point ..I'm sure Elba would be fine but for me it wouldn't be Fleming's Bond ..cinematic Bond yea.. and I'm sorry but I do think the casting would hurt the BO. That's not a racist comment. Maybe a comment that concerns racism but the comment itself is not.

The producers are almost forced to cast Elba in a way regardless of screen test. If they don't then automatically dubbed racist. So watch they will cast and age won't be an excuse not to.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I fully understand your point @mcdonbb , if I was to say I didn't want Adrian Turner to
    play Bond. I don't think anyone would be saying " it's because he's Irish"
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Hope y'all aren't missing my point ..I'm sure Elba would be fine but for me it wouldn't be Fleming's Bond ..cinematic Bond yea.. and I'm sorry but I do think the casting would hurt the BO. That's not a racist comment. Maybe a comment that concerns racism but the comment itself is not.

The producers are almost forced to cast Elba in a way regardless of screen test. If they don't then automatically dubbed racist. So watch they will cast and age won't be an excuse not to.

That's what I'm saying, as far as the US is concerned. It would stop at 100 million.

But in Europe an Elba Bond would become a phenomenon as big as Skyfall was. EVERYONE would want to see him and be it just out of curiosity.

Personally, I said this before, I want a Fleming vision Bond. There is a reason why Timothy Dalton is my favourite Bond.
    I don't want a black Bond as I don't want an American or German Bond or 25 year old Bond.
  • What is a 'fleming's Bond'?

Bond is tough, charming and deadly.

Don't think the producers will feel compelled to cast purely because of race.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bond is white and should stay that way.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 489
    Murdock wrote: »

We'll see.
    Times are changing.

I'm not in favor of casting anyone simply because of their race, but if the actor that tests best is Idris Elba, that would not bother me.
    Murdock wrote: »

We'll see.
    Times are changing.

I'm not in favor of casting anyone simply because of their race, but if the actor that tests best is Idris Elba, that would not bother me.

People can't change ethnicity on a flip of a dime, neither should Bond. Just because "Time are changing" doesn't mean a character should be cosmetically altered to appeal to a newer hipper demographic. That's just pandering.
  • I'm not saying they should flip on a dime. I'm saying hire the best actor.
    Elba's not the best actor for the part that's for sure.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 489
    I will say that Fleming would probably agree with you.
    There's some passages in his books that are pretty bad.
    I don't think he had the most enlightened view of race.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    No one has been able to properly explain how, if actors as diverse in appeal, style, looks etc. as Sean Connery to Roger Moore to Pierce Brosnan to Daniel Craig can be cast, then why not someone slightly less conventional?

Heck, some are calling for Hardy. He is not Bond as far as I'm aware, as traditionally described or envisaged. What is he, 5 ft 5 or something?

I'm sure Elba could make a great Bond (especially in his prime). However, I'd prefer if he were not Bond. If that makes any sense.

I prefer a white actor take the part, but it's just a preference. The hard arguments as to why Bond should be white seem a little weak imho. Except the box office one (I don't think a black actor would resonate so well in some foreign markets - and even if he could it's risky) and perhaps just good old fashioned tradition. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Hardy would be good as well.
    DOwney Jr is short too, they just shoot him from below to make him look taller.
    I have yet to see Elba or Hardy in anything, so I can't comment on their acting really. Just looking at pictures of Elba, I would instantly consider him for Mike Hammer over Bond. Hardy, I just don't see Bond there. Even Craig, in the first photo I saw of him when he was being touted I thought- yeah I can see that- but not Hardy.
    I get the feeling most audiences these days- especially those who are rooting for either of those actors don't really give a s### about Bond the character, legacy or what not. Not Bond purists just general moviegoers. They tend to think who ever is cool or current would be alright in the role. In fact many people I know who have only seen the Craig films won't go back and watch FRWL, GF or any of the early ones because they heard they were cheesy.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I get the feeling most audiences these days- especially those who are rooting for either of those actors don't really give a s### about Bond the character, legacy or what not. Not Bond purists just general moviegoers. They tend to think who ever is cool or current would be alright in the role..
    I used to be like that when I was younger. Now I know how important it is that they cast the right actor, and not just a pretty boy in a suit. Bond is so more than that, I now realize.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    In fact many people I know who have only seen the Craig films won't go back and watch FRWL, GF or any of the early ones because they heard they were cheesy.
    This is an incorrect perception. Certainly when it comes to those from the 60's. I hope you'll encourage them to reconsider.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 15,818
    There's a Bond film for every taste and mood really. For grit I recommend FRWL, TLD and LTK with the Craigs. For romance. again FRWL, OHMSS and TLD. Humor most of the Moores and some Connerys. The list goes on. Bond as an icon is so huge they just can't hire any actor because he's currently popular. You just can't hire any actor because he's good. He may even be a great actor...but is just not Bond. Although audiences are more open minded these days on who might be a good fit for the role, it could get ridiculous. As much as I love Jack Nicholson........I wouldn't cast him as Bond. Nor Al Pacino, Frank Langella, or Harrison Ford. Wait...those guys are American. Then again we seem to be living in the open minded era so anything goes. Sarcasm aside I do feel who ever gets cast, Craig is going to be a tough act to follow, and hopefully they don't alienate Bond purists by following popular trends. I think the next Bond should be a bit more classic...kind of like Pierce was perceived when he was hired, but with more grit. Around 40ish and back to a 2 year gap so we could possibly get 5 or 6 films in 10 years. Too much to ask?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @ToTheRight, I agree with you on a more 'classic' looking Bond. I'm presently watching TLD, and Dalton looks especially good in it. Tall, lean, looks good in the suits. Of course none of this matters if the actor can't portray Bond convincingly. However, my preference is for someone more with a Dalton/Lazenby/early Connery frame. 6 ft 1 in plus and fit.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

the producers will cast who they want to cast... and outside of Pierce Brosnan, they always seem to go with someone "outside of the box"

and since the media seems to be screaming for Elba, they'll go a different direction..

.... on another note - changing the ethnicity of a character as a means to quell the political correctness storm, and then masquerading it as "progress" is just a sham... like others have said, if Elba becomes Bond - then I want Brad Pitt as Shaft... why not leave what already is, and break ground with something new and original?... or is that not good enough?.... it has nothing to do with acting - but everything to do with 500 lbs gorilla in the room, and that's the character of James Bond is written as a White male - and Elba is Black.... that is that.... even Yaphet Kotto went on record to say that "James Bond is white, and should stay white."
    bondjames wrote: »
    @ToTheRight, I agree with you on a more 'classic' looking Bond. I'm presently watching TLD, and Dalton looks especially good in it. Tall, lean, looks good in the suits. Of course none of this matters if the actor can't portray Bond convincingly. However, my preference is for someone more with a Dalton/Lazenby/early Connery frame. 6 ft 1 in plus and fit.

I couldn't agree more. On the positive side, whoever they cast probably will play the part convincingly as each actor has in the past albeit with their own interpretation. Tim is great in Daylights. Someone with a similar build would be good. Bond does push ups, leg lifts and swims. He really shouldn't look as though he has a personal trainer and spends hours in the gym. OO7 just doesn't have time for that. He's too busy smoking his 60 cigarettes per day and eating scrambled eggs.

Someone said, they are almost forced to hire him. I strongly disagree, the way I see it, exactly that will rule him out, amongst other, obvious things.

Jason, Clan you explain, way a Nation, that is half black, would bot accept a black in the role, whereas Europe would he thrilled. I would think, the exact opposite is the case.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Someone said, they are almost forced to hire him. I strongly disagree, the way I see it, exactly that will rule him out, amongst other, obvious things.

Jason, Clan you explain, way a Nation, that is half black, would bot accept a black in the role, whereas Europe would he thrilled. I would think, the exact opposite is the case.

technically, only 13% of the US population (according to the last consensus) is Black.. i think - and wouldn't be surprised if - there are more Hispanics in the US than those of African descent.
    @Germanlady... a lot of the push for Elba isn't coming from the black population - but it's mostly from (what i call) the white apologists in this country.... personally, I believe if you polled every Black person in this country - the majority of them couldn't probably care less about what color James Bond is..... but like i said, the ones loudly beating the drums are typically white hipster apologist millennials who carry this self appointed guilt over atrocities that they had nothing to do with
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I do wish we could move on from the Elba Issue! For me it's not his colour, but I just don't 'see' him as Bond, much like some didn't 'see' DC (not me I hasten to add) as Bond.
    Mind, I do wish DC would say one way or the other. Tom Hiddleston for my money, if DC quits.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Moving away from Elba...What of Tom Payne? Throw him in the gym for about 7 months and he could potentially make a good Bond. I don't know how tall he is but he currently stars as paul "Jesus" Monroe in the walking dead and used to star in the early series of Waterloo Road (British school drama). He's 33.