Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

The melody is good, but it was also heavily reorchestrated by Newman and co. Mendes also rewrote his lyrics. He deserves the Oscar as much as he deserved his Grammies for a song that he plagerized. He's now walking back his bragging about it taking only 20 minutes to write because it sounds so dicey for such a huge award, but I'll bet he'll probably win. He's lucky, the competition is not great.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Oh boy. Cue the smartass comments ahead.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How can we possibly top that?
  • RC7RC7
    smitty wrote: »
    The melody is good, but it was also heavily reorchestrated by Newman and co. Mendes also rewrote his lyrics. He deserves the Oscar as much as he deserved his Grammies for a song that he plagerized. He's now walking back his bragging about it taking only 20 minutes to write because it sounds so dicey for such a huge award, but I'll bet he'll probably win. He's lucky, the competition is not great.

Plagiarised? Please don't be one of those arseholes who likes to perpetuate bullshit regard the series because it doesn't suit their blinkered agenda.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »

On cue, here it comes:

Well I never heard Adele or Cornell giving free advice, despite the high opinion most hold of their respective efforts. Sam on the other hand, seems to be doing it at every opportunity, despite writing his song in all of 20 mins.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,586
    bondjames wrote: »

On cue, here it comes:

Well I never heard Adele or Cornell giving free advice, despite the high opinion most hold of their respective efforts. Sam on the other hand, seems to be doing it at every opportunity, despite writing his song in all of 20 mins.
    Aww come on. I've seen you do better. Why don't you read the article and give it another shot.
    bondjames wrote: »

On cue, here it comes:

Aww come on. I've seen you do better. Why don't you read the article and give it another shot.
    I did read it. He may win, have his day in the sun, and then be a distant memory, hopefully, by the time the next Bond film comes around..
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I really like Sam's music. Anybody else? As far as current day standards go, I enjoy his lyrical contributions and the ability he has to take his voice to all kinds of different levels. I recently got one of his CDs, and I don't do that for many performers. Some of his stuff can verge into electronica, but when he really sings from the heart with a strong melody, I really enjoy his work.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It doesn't say much for current day standards.

The kind of music 20 somethings will listen to today is huge difference to what I was listening to at that age.

I suppose the variety and quality is just not out there anymore, I was kind spoilt in the 90's, this generation just hasn't got that to say, music is now so disposable and forgettable maybe Sam Smith is the top of the pile, what a sad indictment on popular music.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Shardlake wrote: »
    It doesn't say much for current day standards.

The kind of music 20 somethings will listen to today is huge difference to what I was listening to at that age.

I suppose the variety and quality is just not out there anymore, I was kind spoilt in the 90's, this generation just hasn't got that to say, music is now so disposable and forgettable maybe Sam Smith is the top of the pile, what a sad indictment on popular music.

I've had a similar discussion with my parents recently. I told them that they get to hold on to the memories of when they heard a Beatles or Eagles tune for the first time on the radio, the day it was released for the world, and what do I have in comparison? Decades from now the Miley Cyruses, Justin Biebers and Taylor Swifts of the world will be only a memory. None of them have challenged conventions or commented deeply and poetically on an ever-changing world like the legends of old did in their day. How tragic, and what a great loss to us all.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Decades from now the Miley Cyruses, Justin Biebers and Taylor Swifts of the world will be only a memory.
    And the Sam Smiths imho.

It's a disposable culture now in every way. Less album based too. More single based.

Having said that, thanks to mediums like youtube, we are able to discover those older classics and experience them like they are current, so I'm happy for that. As an example I came across these two songs on youtube a while back and really appreciated them. I didn't know anything about these two before.

• RC7RC7
    I really like Sam's music. Anybody else? As far as current day standards go, I enjoy his lyrical contributions and the ability he has to take his voice to all kinds of different levels. I recently got one of his CDs, and I don't do that for many performers. Some of his stuff can verge into electronica, but when he really sings from the heart with a strong melody, I really enjoy his work.

I think he's decent. I don't understand why we're all of a sudden supposed to be courting artists above and beyond the mainstream. This is a series with performances by Lulu, Nancy Sinatra, Gladys Knight, Sheryl Crow, Garbage, Sheena Easton, Rita Coolidge... Smith brought something rich and memorable I think. Lest we forget TMWTGG, which is lyrically and musically crap. For all those annoyed by him, thank The Lord it wasn't given to Bieber, or Kanye or (insert bell end here). It could be much worse.

His music is really good, and having seen him performing this live on the Graham Norton show I would say the man is a good singer.
    It probably annoys the naysayers to no end if the Song would win an Oscar. It would only annoy me because there are so many Bond songs that would deserve an Oscar sooner and did no get them. But then again I never took the time to look at the competition at all those times and know quite sure that there must have been some brilliant competition.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    SaintMark wrote: »

His music is really good, and having seen him performing this live on the Graham Norton show I would say the man is a good singer.
    It probably annoys the naysayers to no end if the Song would win an Oscar. It would only annoy me because there are so many Bond songs that would deserve an Oscar sooner and did no get them. But then again I never took the time to look at the competition at all those times and know quite sure that there must have been some brilliant competition.

The haters certainly already have a hard time with Smith having won the Golden Globe and being nominated for an Academy Award. Winning it would only be the icing on the already very sweet cake.

I loved the song from the first second on. I never cared for Smith before, nor did I buy his album. Also WOTW still is in many charts around the world and we have the end of February.

I'm glad EON finally gave us two proper Bond themes in a row. Even if I don't like Skyfall, the song much, I can see it's a classic.
    WOTW is a classic too.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »
    I like Smith and I like his approach. He gave a shit. The transition from Bond in the chopper to those opening chords is top notch and the song is rich and beautiful.

yes, yes, and yes... it had a classiness to it, as the chords started with Bond in his chopper, after a near-death experience... Loved this transition.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    peter wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I like Smith and I like his approach. He gave a shit. The transition from Bond in the chopper to those opening chords is top notch and the song is rich and beautiful.

yes, yes, and yes... it had a classiness to it, as the chords started with Bond in his chopper, after a near-death experience... Loved this transition.

and of course, the best ever title sequence follows after that, also thanks to the perfect fusion of visuals and the song. A masterpiece.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited February 2016 Posts: 543
    Did anyone see Sam Smith's performance of WOTW during the Oscars tonight? He seemed kinda nervous to me.

Well congrats to WOTW, just won Best Original Song.
    Congrats to Sam!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Winner!!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, it won. Find it hard to believe there was not a better film song this year in competition. I'm not a fan. BUT it is good for Bond films that it won; YES. So for that reason, I can smile about it winning. I felt that Skyfall deserved it, but not this song. Just my opinion.
    Congats, Im sure EON, MGW & EON are proud.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited February 2016 Posts: 543
    Yes, it won. Find it hard to believe there was not a better film song this year in competition. I'm not a fan. BUT it is good for Bond films that it won; YES. So for that reason, I can smile about it winning. I felt that Skyfall deserved it, but not this song. Just my opinion.
    Agree. Really thought that Lady Gaga song was going to win though.
    Congratulations Sam Smith.

I can't believe it, but the man deserves his night. Good on ya mate.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm sure they are relieved. ;) And happy of course.
  • It will be fun seeing quite a few here having to deal with a LGBT stance speech for a Bond related award :)
    Congrats to Sam Smith. I must say though I'm sick of all the political agendas being shoved so hard in this presentation.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    I don't want to fool myself: This award pissed me off.

Well, congrats to Smith and a big shrug: I feel so sorry for Macca, Hamlisch and Carly Simon and Conti and Sheena Easton.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm shocked.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,586
    I don't want to fool myself: This award pissed me off.

Well, congrats to Smith and a big shrug.
    Yeah yeah.
    Wipe those tears off.