Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If she does, she'll be 50% closer to achieving an EGOT.

A what :-P?
    Emmy Grammy Oscar Tony?

This. It's an elite club, of sorts, for those who have acquired all four awards in their lifetime.

Like myself.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    it should not matter if you like the song or not, an Oscar for Bond is an Oscar for Bond. thats all i care about. its not like those come along very often unfortunately

I don't agree. There are other films out there too. I will not let my adoration for Bond cloud my judgement. If Bond should win an Oscar, it should win an Oscar for a splendid contribution.

This.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote: »
    it should not matter if you like the song or not, an Oscar for Bond is an Oscar for Bond. thats all i care about. its not like those come along very often unfortunately

I don't agree. There are other films out there too. I will not let my adoration for Bond cloud my judgement. If Bond should win an Oscar, it should win an Oscar for a splendid contribution.

This.

Very noble of you both, but awards are by their very nature, bull shit. Some deserve it, some don't. Depends who you ask.
    RC7 wrote: »

This.

Very noble of you both, but awards are by their very nature, bull shit. Some deserve it, some don't. Depends who you ask.

Also.....football awards?
  • RC7RC7

This.

Also.....football awards?

Also bullshit.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Quite shocked to see See You Again snubbed from the Oscars BOS category. Maybe the academy thinks they'll look bad if they give a nomination to an action film. 8-|
  • RC7RC7
    Quite shocked to see See You Again snubbed from the Oscars BOS category. Maybe the academy thinks they'll look bad if they give a nomination to an action film. 8-|

It's an atrocious song. I'm not surprised.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

In your view, maybe. But for those that've had great losses lately, it means a great deal.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

In your view, maybe. But for those that've had great losses lately, it means a great deal.

As someone who has had a great loss lately, I understand exactly what you mean.

I can never decide whether I should be offended by the intentions behind the song or if it's absolutely perfect. I usually end up going with the latter.
  • RC7RC7

I can never decide whether I should be offended by the intentions behind the song or if it's absolutely perfect. I usually end up going with the latter.

Performance wise it's abysmal.

I just see it as a special tribute to a good old fashioned, nice guy that was taken from the world too early. And of course, the song lyrics are such that our own lost loved ones can easily be inserted as the subject of the tribute as well.

But it IS an atrocious song.

It seems your brigade against negativity extends only to SP. I understood it the first time; you guys don't like the damn song. Now let's move along so that some of us can still enjoy it.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 8,026

I just see it as a special tribute to a good old fashioned, nice guy that was taken from the world too early. And of course, the song lyrics are such that our own lost loved ones can easily be inserted as the subject of the tribute as well.

Agreed. And I'm not one for rap music, either.

It seems your brigade against negativity extends only to SP. I understood it the first time; you guys don't like the damn song. Now let's move along so that some of us can still enjoy it.

I simply prefer a more, less 'street' song to say goodbye to a loved one. Like "We Have All The Time In The World".

I simply prefer a more, less 'street' song to say goodbye to a loved one. Like "We Have All The Time In The World".

They recorded a version without the rap sections if that's not to your liking. I don't mind it myself, though. The lyrics in those sections are more Tupac than 50 Cent, which for me, is great.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yeah, me too. But we're talking about Barry, few could replace him.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 8,026

They recorded a version without the rap sections if that's not to your liking. I don't mind it myself, though. The lyrics in those sections are more Tupac than 50 Cent, which for me, is great.

They did? I haven't heard that version. I'll have to have a look for it.

Different strokes for different folks, my dear Gustav. I'm a fan of both (obviously) when they're appropriate.

Different strokes for different folks, my dear Gustav. I'm a fan of both (obviously) when they're appropriate.

@CraigMooreOHMSS, here it is:

@CraigMooreOHMSS, here it is:

Thanks @Brady. Much obliged.
    Congrats Sam Smith on the success WOTW is bringing you! =D>
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Sam Smith On Writing 'Spectre' Theme Song: “It Was My Brave Thing To Do”

You’ve said this was the fastest song you’ve ever written and it only took you 20 minutes to write. How did you get into a headspace where you could do that?

I f*cked up because I kind of, I made up I had written the song in 20 minutes, which was not the case. I didn’t word that correctly. The initial idea to it came so quickly, like the melody and stuff. I was just surprised at that because I always thought if I was going to write a Bond song, I thought I would have overthought it so much, and it would have taken so long to do. But the vocal in the song is the demo scratch. I was just really, really shocked at how it felt like it came quite naturally, but that’s kind of the way I write as well. My music is almost like vomit! It’s a horrible way to put it, but I feel it, I say it, and I doubt myself all the time throughout my whole life, but when it comes to music I just don’t. I don’t doubt myself. I run with it, and I feel like what comes out is natural to me and it feels right, so that’s what we did.

What was the process of working with Barbara Broccoli and Sam Mendes?

I never saw the film. I read the script. They gave me the script and they told me the overall feeling to it. When I write music it’s very strange, maybe it’s normal, but I see things in songs in different colors. It’s really strange, so when Sam was talking to me about the song, he had just started the title sequence and they were doing something with an octopus and the colors were very purple and that immediately made me go to the studio and want to write a song that sounded purple. So it sounds a bit haunting and dark and it’s scary. Barbara Broccoli was so supportive and just lovely through the whole process.

And Mendes changed the lyrics?

He did. My whole thing with this song is I wanted to make it a vulnerable Bond song. When you listen to Bond songs they’re not vulnerable. They’re very powerful, and the lyric content is strong. I really wanted to inject a bit of myself because my music’s vulnerable and it’s like a diary. I wanted to do that a little bit for a Bond song. I thought it would be really interesting to do. The sounds of the song, the way it’s produced is very classic, I felt, and tireless and simple, But I felt like doing the lyric like it was my brave thing to do. That was my thing where I thought this is going to be different, and some people f***ing hate it, but I think some people like it. Hopefully, some people like it, because I love it and I love just the way it sounds and the way it fits with the film.

Making this film was a beautiful thing, because with Sam Mendes coming in and changing some of the lyrics so they were a bit more masculine–not masculine, but a bit more brave and a bit more strong, it felt like when we were taking this risk and releasing this song, I felt like I was releasing it with Barbara, with Sam and with Jimmy (Naples). It felt like a real group thing, and that meant that no matter what people say, the people that don’t like it, Barbara Broccoli read over my song and she chose it, and that’s what really mattered to me–the Bond family were feeling it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    My music is almost like vomit!

He got that right.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    and some people f***ing hate it
    Yep. Got this right too.
  • RC7RC7
    I like Smith and I like his approach. He gave a shit. The transition from Bond in the chopper to those opening chords is top notch and the song is rich and beautiful.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The transition from Bond in the chopper to those opening chords is top notch

Absolutely agree with this. Chill inducingly cool.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agreed. Also the part they played as a marketing snippet before we heard the song. Brilliant.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. Also the part they played as a marketing snippet before we heard the song. Brilliant.

The music video with then-unseen clips of Bond and Madeleine sold me on the film to be honest.
  • I hate the song on its own but it works alright in context of the titles and the film, and that opening is beautiful the way it transitions into the titles from the PTS.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    From Grammys to Oscars, Sam Smith is reaching new heights

Though Sam Smith has mingled with Hollywood's elite thanks to the success of "Writing's On The Wall" — the Oscar-nominated, Golden Globe-winning James Bond theme song — he feels like the glitz is just a bonus.

It was getting the OK to do the song that remains close to his heart.

"I don't think very much of myself most of the time, but when (they) ask you to have a go at that, I was just like, 'I can't believe they've asked me,'" Smith recalled. "People ask if I was scared and I genuinely wasn't. ...I think maybe because in the back of my head I was thinking it maybe wasn't going to happen and just getting the chance to do it was amazing because I know there were other people pitching songs."

"Writing's On The Wall" was clearly the right choice: The British singer's single topped the U.K. charts; it won best original song at last month's Golden Globes and it's competing for the same honor at Sunday's Academy Awards. His competition includes Lady Gaga, the Weeknd, David Lang and J. Ralph.

At 23, Smith has the chance to become one of the youngest acts to win the prize. It took just a day to pen the song, which he wrote with his "Stay With Me" collaborator Jimmy Napes, he said.

"And then the strings took six months; the production took ages," Smith said.

He'll perform the "Spectre" song at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California, when the show airs on ABC at 8:30 EST on Sunday.

"I'm trying to not think about it to be honest. But, yeah, it's going to be fun," he said.