Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    it should not matter if you like the song or not, an Oscar for Bond is an Oscar for Bond. thats all i care about. its not like those come along very often unfortunately
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Best of luck to Sam for success at the Oscars. :)>-
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    00Agent wrote: »
    it should not matter if you like the song or not, an Oscar for Bond is an Oscar for Bond. thats all i care about. its not like those come along very often unfortunately

I don't agree. There are other films out there too. I will not let my adoration for Bond cloud my judgement. If Bond should win an Oscar, it should win an Oscar for a splendid contribution.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I don't agree. There are other films out there too. I will not let my adoration for Bond cloud my judgement. If Bond should win an Oscar, it should win an Oscar for a splendid contribution.
    Agreed. And Writing's On The Wall is a splendid contribution.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Yes but Art is completely subjective, and some people for example don't think WOTW deserves to be even nominated. Now it is, and i hope it goes all the way. And to be honest, i don't know any of the other songs, and i wouldn't care much for that category if WOTW wasn't in there.
    jake24 wrote: »

Sorry, not for me. I'd rather listen to any other Bond song, including Madonna's.
  • RC7RC7

Sorry, not for me. I'd rather listen to any other Bond song, including Madonna's.

Good job you're not an Academy member.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 6,790
    I never said Madonna delivered a good song, mind you. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    I never said Madonna delivered a good song, mind you. ;)

I'll listen to Madonna, but I think there's a backlash surrounding WOTW that is incredibly exaggerated. I can only assume there are other factors at play. It's completely inoffensive.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Academy can do what it wants. I'll still fast forward through it when I get the blu ray, irrespective of what happens. If it wins I won't be bothered, but it won't change my opinion of the song.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Academy can do what it wants. I'll still fast forward through it when I get the blu ray, irrespective of what happens. If it wins I won't be bothered, but it won't change my opinion of the song.

I can't imagine being so offended by a Bond theme that I'd fast forward through it.
    RC7 wrote: »

I can't imagine being so offended by a Bond theme that I'd fast forward through it.
    Neither could I, until WOTW came out. It is what it is. I'll live with it. It's only 1 out of 24 anyway, and thankfully.
  • RC7RC7

Neither could I, until WOTW came out. It is what it is. I'll live with it. It's only 1 out of 24 anyway, and thankfully.

I just don't see how it's 'that' bad. I don't get it. I understand tastes vary, but it's completely inoffensive.

I just don't see how it's 'that' bad. I don't get it. I understand tastes vary, but it's completely inoffensive.
    Just my personal reaction. Music and its impact on a listener is very subjective anyway. Actually for me, it really is 2 out of 24, because Sheena Easton's FYEO is another one that I fast forward through all the time. I forgot about that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Agree to disagree, then, as I love both WOTW and FYEO, and couldn't even begin to imagine fast forwarding through any scene whatsoever in any of the Bond films. Seems blasphemous.
  • RC7RC7

Just my personal reaction. Music and its impact on a listener is very subjective anyway. Actually for me, it really is 2 out of 24, because Sheena Easton's FYEO is another one that I fast forward through all the time. I forgot about that one.

I agree, and it's fair enough, I've just never found the need to reach for the FF. If I did I reckon TMWTGG might be the first victim.
  • Best of luck to Sam for success at the Oscars. :)>-

I reckon it'll win. Of the other nominees, three are really obscure, and the other is from 50 Shades of grey...I don't think anyone at the Oscars wants to give a statue to 50 Shades of grey.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I 100% agree with @RC7 here.

Would you seriously miss Kleinman's beautiful opening titles because you don't want to listen to WOTW?

And honestly, I fail to see why people hate this song so much. Melody and orchestration are very Bondian, and even though you may not consider it one of the best, can you seriously rank it lower than DAD, AWTD, TND, ATH, FYEO and TMWTGG?
    Walecs wrote: »
    And honestly, I fail to see why people hate this song so much. Melody and orchestration are very Bondian, and even though you may not consider it one of the best, can you seriously rank it lower than DAD, AWTD, TND, ATH, FYEO and TMWTGG?
    You asked, and for me, the answer is an indubitable 'yes'. However, I don't have a problem with people who like it. To each their own, including the Academy..
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I hope your prediction comes true @dinovelvet. :)
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    It won the Golden globe, most Globe winners go on to win the Oscar. Is the song Oscar worthy like Adele's "Skyfall" ?
    Only the Academy voters know...

It's nice to see that ever since Daniel Craig took over the mantle from Moore/Dalton/Brosnan, there seems to be some more serious Awards Buzz again, from both the BAFTA, the Academy and the Golden Globes.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I like WOTW.

That being said, the Academy--in one of its biggest flubs of all time--honored You Light Up My Life over Nobody Does It Better.
    echo wrote: »
    I like WOTW.

That being said, the Academy--in one of its biggest flubs of all time--honored You Light Up My Life over Nobody Does It Better.

I think people need to accept, that the Academy still is a game.....a professional ranking game executed with expertise.

Obviously, we 'poor human souls' can only see the loss of "Nobody Does It Better" at the 1978 Oscars. But if you take into account that 51 songs were on the shortlist of the "Original Song" Oscar back in 1978, then one should see the TOP 5 -being part of the final 5 nominees- a victory and a certified accolade.

At least, that's how I see it. Look on the positive aspects of the Oscars -being nominated- instead of looking at the negatives -being snubbed in certain categories, or 'losing' the Oscar-. You can 'lose an Oscar' or 'win an Oscar nomination'. I fully embrace the latter!

Moreover, isn't it FUN to see that our beloved Bond films get some Award recognition again? The last time this happened was in the 'Golden Age' of Bond; the 1960's. Also, here people are free to say that "I don't give a sh&t if a Bond film gets an Oscar nomination", but I like to see it as a "nice positive extra, regardless of my personal opinion of a Bond film" :-).
    You're right, GG, the Academy and the Oscars are simply a game, and it's all for show. That's why stuff like 'Shakespeare in Love' beats 'Saving Private Ryan,' sadly.

Anyway, since I asked prior to the Globes, who here thinks that WOTW will definitely win the Oscar?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You're right, GG, the Academy and the Oscars are simply a game, and it's all for show. That's why stuff like 'Shakespeare in Love' beats 'Saving Private Ryan,' sadly.

Anyway, since I asked prior to the Globes, who here thinks that WOTW will definitely win the Oscar?
    Now that See You Again is out, I think it has a very strong chance.

Now that See You Again is out, I think it has a very strong chance.

Lady GaGa will win with her song. And it's quite good too. It has a powerful message as well.
    If she does, she'll be 50% closer to achieving an EGOT.

A what :-P?

Emmy Grammy Oscar Tony?

Emmy Grammy Oscar Tony?

This. It's an elite club, of sorts, for those who have acquired all four awards in their lifetime.