Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would like more perverse shots up the skirts of assaulted waitresses (and airline hostesses, etc.).

After all, there's nothing more sexy than a woman who's been assaulted.

Hilarious rape banter is almost too much even for me old chap!

Although have to say a little smirk did cross my face at the above post.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Bond falling in "love".

I want to see more of the Spectre PTS Bond where he has a girl by his side, but is willing to abandon her to focus on the mission.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I don't want to see Fiennes' M angry like he was right after the Opening credits of SP - I almost expected to see fumes coming out of his ears!
    I don't want to see Fiennes' M angry like he was right after the Opening credits of SP - I almost expected to see fumes coming out of his ears!

I quite liked it, felt quite Lee/Connery
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That is something I definitely want to see in the next film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is not quite the right thread perhaps, but I would be quite satisfied if Jany Temime is not allowed anywhere near a Bond film again. I have not been impressed with her work on SF or SP. I'd prefer if Louise Frogley or Lindy Hemming (who has not retired, contrary to what I heard before) returned.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is not quite the right thread perhaps, but I would be quite satisfied if Jany Temime is not allowed anywhere near a Bond film again. I have not been impressed with he
    RC7 wrote: »
    This is not quite the right thread perhaps, but I would be quite satisfied if Jany Temime is not allowed anywhere near a Bond film again. I have not been impressed with he

Isn t she a she?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Laser guns and fights in space.
    I never want to see Cheech Marin in a Bond film again.

Unless he and Bond share a spliff.
    TripAces wrote: »

Drama queen.

O:-)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Birdleson wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

I would love to see that again. It was one of the highlights of a sub-par Bond film.

I think it was a sub-par film because of them. ;)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Blofeld.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I never want to see a lack of proper gunbarrel again.
  • Controversial opinion!!!

I never want to see a damsel in distress again, at least for a good ten years.

It was notably shoehorned into the lacklustre finale of SP. Not to mention that it is an extremely dated trope.

It was most egregious in TND. We have a Bond girl who is supposed to be Bond's equal - she even has a fight scene entirely devoted to herself - and yet in the finale she is captured once, rescued by Bond, then literally a few minutes later captured AGAIN, then rescued AGAIN.

For some reason this only bothers me? And I don't mean it in a feminist way either, it's just very unoriginal?
    Controversial opinion!!!

I never want to see a damsel in distress again, at least for a good ten years.

It was notably shoehorned into the lacklustre finale of SP. Not to mention that it is an extremely dated trope.

It was most egregious in TND. We have a Bond girl who is supposed to be Bond's equal - she even has a fight scene entirely devoted to herself - and yet in the finale she is captured once, rescued by Bond, then literally a few minutes later captured AGAIN, then rescued AGAIN.

For some reason this only bothers me? And I don't mean it in a feminist way either, it's just very unoriginal?

What do you want then? Have her getting more screen time than Bond as she slugs it out with the henchman a la Jinx?

No thanks.

A choice between the hackneyed old bullshit of the Bond girl being Bond's 'equal' and a Bond girl in distress is no choice at all.
  • @TheWizardOfIce
    Well I guess that's not really what I mean when I use the term 'damsel in distress'. I mean more like if it does happen then it should happen naturally, and should not be shoehorned (for lack of a better word) into the narrative. For example in TWINE it doesn't feel natural that Elektra should send Christmas to Renard, why not just kill her? That is an example of 'damsel in distress.' It happens for no real purpose, it's just done perfunctorily. SP with Swann, that's another example.
    Other films, like, I don't know... GE? It made the Bond girl's capture flow into the narrative much better and it serves a purpose in developing Natalya and Bond's relationship in the movie. 'She means nothing to me' etc.
    And I agree we have had enough 'Bond's equal' girls for a very long while. I'd agree that's not something we need. I never said I wanted that - I definitely don't - and I would agree that it is 'old and hackneyed'.
    FYEO is a good example, Melina is my favourite Bond girl; she has her own personal agenda, is fleshed out as a character, is beautiful, has chemistry with the lead actor, doesn't annoyingly cling to Bond or need him to do everything for her. I liked Kara from TLD as well.
    @TheWizardOfIce
    Well I guess that's not really what I mean when I use the term 'damsel in distress'. I mean more like if it does happen then it should happen naturally, and should not be shoehorned (for lack of a better word) into the narrative. For example in TWINE it doesn't feel natural that Elektra should send Christmas to Renard, why not just kill her? That is an example of 'damsel in distress.' It happens for no real purpose, it's just done perfunctorily. SP with Swann, that's another example.
    Other films, like, I don't know... GE? It made the Bond girl's capture flow into the narrative much better and it serves a purpose in developing Natalya and Bond's relationship in the movie. 'She means nothing to me' etc.
    And I agree we have had enough 'Bond's equal' girls for a very long while. I'd agree that's not something we need. I never said I wanted that - I definitely don't - and I would agree that it is 'old and hackneyed'.
    FYEO is a good example, Melina is my favourite Bond girl; she has her own personal agenda, is fleshed out as a character, is beautiful, has chemistry with the lead actor, doesn't annoyingly cling to Bond or need him to do everything for her. I liked Kara from TLD as well.

Take your point.

SP was lame in the extreme. Might as well have gone the whole hog and just tied her to a railway track and had Waltz twirling his moustache.

Obviously the equal Bond girl shtick is something nobody wants.

Having them tag along for the ride and getting somewhat involved in the action but always remaining peripheral to Bond seems about the best solution like Melina and Tatiana.

The irony of the 'equal' Bond girl is that they are always shit but girls like Tania, Domino, Tracy, Kara (leading the cavalry charge), Natalya (bringing the helicopter) and even Stacey (bravely attacking Zorin in the airship) find inner resources of courage and step up to the plate and actually save Bond's bacon.

Naturally taking it one step further and having a Bond girl so gormless that she not only doesnt help but nearly gets Bond killed by bumping into things with her arse is something we don't want to see again also.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Please - two things I saw in SP that I never want to see again. Period.

1. female companion being swatted to the floor by the henchman or villain (so passé)
    2. female damsel in distress (so last century) needing to be rescued
  • Things i never want to see ever again:
    1. Purvis and Wade...6 films? Time for a fresh set of words.
    2. Bond going rogue. Just do your damn job..aka regular mission.
    3. Bond only bedding one woman, or two. He used to have himself a minimum of 3.
    4. Continuity to the last 4 Craig films. Just make his last effort a stand alone. Sky fall was stand alone....until Spectre tried to tie it in. Skyfall did not mention the previous 2 films, Vesper, etc. And look how that did.
    5. Aston Martin . Time for something new. I'm a fan for 40 years, however I'm so sick of seeing this car over and over again. It exploded in Skyfall I said yay time for new...new M, new Q, new car. I wish. Lotus, BMW, come on guys make a new endorsement deal.
    6. Craig being tired. He was spent in Spectre. I just rewatched 23 and 24, and guess what it's true his performance (and i'm an actor) seems forced, unconvincing, and without purpose. His purpose was contract fulfillment.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens

1. female companion being swatted to the floor by the henchman or villain (so passé)

I agree with this, though I also don't want female companions being forced on us as "Bond's equal".
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883

I agree with this, though I also don't want female companions being forced on us as "Bond's equal".
    I agree with this too - no one is Bond's equal and that should be quite evident by now. I didn't realize that @IncompetentHenchman had the same view re: damsel in distress just above on this very page. It really must be a cliche then.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I didn't mind Hinx swatting Swann, since he was in the process of beating Bond's ass, and she had just shot him. But she definitely should have done more during the escape from the compound, since Bond had just been tortured and supposedly had his balance ruined. The hostage-taking was also dumb, but there was so much else wrong with the London finale that it barely rated.
  • I agree. That was a tough fight until the end, where Hinx died an inglorious, too-soon death.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Take your point.

SP was lame in the extreme. Might as well have gone the whole hog and just tied her to a railway track and had Waltz twirling his moustache.

So no faithful adaptation of TMWTGG, then? :)

I think who you really want is Gala Brand.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I'd appreciate it if they could put their thinking and creative hats on and try to create new iconic references from now on.

I agree :)

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Imagine the following:

A three minute car chase.

You'll only get shots of maximum 2.5 seconds. Most are under 1.5 seconds.

Totally over 100 shots in 3 minutes, including most shots are done with shaky camera.

You'll get it's a car chase, that's all. Oh and a soaring headache.

Quantum Of Solace has by far the worst PTS ever.

It's a crime, it's treason, the editor responsible should get deported to Siberia where he has to edit the tapes of the observation cameras that film the icy landscape 24 hours a day. At least for 10 years, if not life.
  • Imagine the following:

Totally over 100 shots in 3 minutes, including most shots are done with shaky camera.

It's a crime, it's treason, the editor responsible should get deported to Siberia where he has to edit the tapes of the observation cameras that film the icy landscape 24 hours a day. At least for 10 years, if not life.

All I could get after watching that scene is 'I just saw cars and guns'. People claim that the editing in that scene makes it unique but to me it just makes it to so mundane and even more by-the-numbers since it gives you a piece rather than the whole thing. Not to mention that I couldn't comprehend any of it.

This goes for like, every other action scene in QOS as well.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,405
    Imagine the following:

I agree 150%

Lightning-speed editing and shaky camera are the absolute 2 things I never want to see again in a Bond movie.
  • Nah, the QoS puts is one of the best. Absolutely riveting chase stuff.