Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2016 Posts: 5,979
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd prefer less obvious references to past classic Bond films in future entries. I find they aren't doing the originals justice and are just cheapening the earlier films to a degree with such ham fisted attempts. I'd appreciate it if they could put their thinking and creative hats on and try to create new iconic references from now on.

Or at least pick different films...no more DN and GF homages, in particular. And it appears LALD and YOLT are reaching surfeit as well...
  • RC7RC7
    Sark wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. Not sure why anyone could be expected to know that on a James Bond forum.

They've been abbreviated on many other threads all year. Most people on here are film fans as well as Bond fans, but sorry if it was confusing.
    Invisible anything. Space lasers. Trick gondolas. Underwater cars. Bond in M's apartment. That silly whistle when a car does a roll over. Blofeld's eye. Diamonds. Any sort of homage to the original Aston Martin. Bond girls who can't act. Villains who can be hit in the chest heavy objects and not flinch. Ten different Felix Leiters. Animals doing a double take.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I like movies, but I wouldn't consider myself a nerd of any expect from Bond. M:I I get because that's commonly abbreviated on billboards and the like, but remembering all the Bond initialisms is about my limit.
  • Bond having a personal connection with the villain or fighting with MI6 (in a sense beyond the usual bickering with M). At this point, I'd rather see him get with a dude.
  • RC7RC7
    Bond having a personal connection with the villain or fighting with MI6 (in a sense beyond the usual bickering with M). At this point, I'd rather see him get with a dude.

Captain Exaggeration wants his cape back... and his pants.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Bond having a personal connection with the villain or fighting with MI6 .

That seems to be the number one complaint on here. Let's hope someone from EON peaks in now and then.

On the off chance of that, I'll voice my opinion and second (or third, or fourth) this: stop with the personal connections and the vendettas and the revenge plot-lines and the traitors. Just give me a straight-forward, stand-alone mission, please, where Bond ends up in a bed with the girl at the end.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That seems to be the number one complaint on here. Let's hope someone from EON peaks in now and then.

On the off chance of that, I'll voice my opinion and second (or third, or fourth) this: stop with the personal connections and the vendettas and the revenge plot-lines and the traitors. Just give me a straight-forward, stand-alone mission, please, where Bond ends up in a bed with the girl at the end.
    Hear Hear.

One of the more tragic occurrences in SP was Bond not returning to his Latina squeeze post Helicopter fight. He did promise after all.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,690

I wouldn't mind all those Bond going rogue, traitors and what not if there finally was a straight forward Moneypenny scene / M scene / Q scene sequence at the start. I don't care what comes for the remaing 2 hours or so of the film, but please I want to get that cosy feeling at the start of the film like in the Connery and Moore films. I don't care if Fiennes must show up on location later, just make him give Bond his mission at the start in his office with the thick heavy red door.
    Main Villain in drag
    Gadgets not founded in reality, ie. invisible car
    Bad acting leading ladies (Roberts despite her great looks, Halle, Denise, Hatcher, Bach in particular)

I wouldn't mind all those Bond going rogue, traitors and what not if there finally was a straight forward Moneypenny scene / M scene / Q scene sequence at the start. I don't care what comes for the remaing 2 hours or so of the film, but please I want to get that cosy feeling at the start of the film like in the Connery and Moore films. I don't care if Fiennes must show up on location later, just make him give Bond his mission at the start in his office with the thick heavy red door.

This, too, because when you look at the series as a whole, there are more than plenty times when Q/M/MP shows up in the field to assist Bond to some degree; now, I'm not saying we should go with the Scooby Doo Gang from SP again, but keeping it stand-alone and, as you've said, giving us the proper MP flirting, a segue into meeting M for the mission, and then a segue into meeting Q for the weapons and/or gadgets, will make me a very happy man.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 I'm getting ready for a Bondathon starting this weekend (getting my Bond fix while waiting for the SP bluray to arrive), and I was thinking that Lee was more often than not on location than in his office: on top of my head, he's in the submarine in YOLT, in Bond's appartment in LALD, in the sunk ship in TMWTGG, in the Pyramids in TWSLM and shows up in Venice and Brazil in MR. Same with Brown who shows up in Berlin in OP, at the horse race in AVTAK, in the Blyden safe house in TLD and at Hemingsway's house in LTK. And if we think about Q, he shows up in Bahamas in TB, Japan in YOLT, at his asian office in TMWTGG, the Pyramids and Sicilia in TWSLM, Brazil in MR, Greece in FYEO, India in OP, checks up on Bond at Stacey's house in AVTAK, in Austria in TLD and in Isthmus in LTK. I never thought of that before, and it shows that it was not obstrusive like in modern Bond era.
    Good list. We even see her in the field a few times throughout the Brosnan and Craig era, too, so it's most certainly a staple of the series, just one that needs to be tuned back slightly.
    @Creasy47 the bottom line I think is that we both can agree Bond should get his mission and gadgets/whatever not long after the Opening Credits. M and Q can show up on location later on in the films, but it needs to start as a straight forward mission, something that happened only twice in the last 10 films (TLD and TND).
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,476
    @DaltonCraig007, exactly. I want Bond chasing a megalomaniac with crazed henchmen and an even crazier diabolical plan, not because he has prior issues with M, or because someone's secretly a rogue agent, or any of that. Let's allow Bond to bed the women and drink the alcohol and shoot the baddies for two hours plus, instead. :)
  • RC7RC7

EON are acutely aware of the fan reaction.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Regarding the Scooby gang, what I personally think was effective in the past is they were introduced slowly. We got to understand the dynamics between the characters (M & Bond, Q & Bond, MP & Bond) over the course of several early films, patiently. Then when they showed up on location to help further the plot, their time was minimized, but was still integral to the plot, rather than just appearing to give them face time.

As an example, having M appear in the abandoned QE in Hong Kong harbour in TMWTGG showed an interesting MI6 on location HQ, and also helped to direct Bond to next steps. We never saw Lee's M running around with a gun and that was a good thing imho. He was there to direct Bond, not to partake in the action with him, no matter what his backstory may have been. So Bond's effectiveness as an MI6 agent wasn't cheapened, which I felt it was in the recent 'gang' scenarios.

One of the issues I have with SF and SP is the new gang already seem to be over used in two films, because Mendes didn't understand the necessity (at least from my perspective) to play the 'long game' and build up the relationships and dynamics over time.

As far as I'm concerned, as a result of all of the above, I would prefer that the entire Scooby gang be replaced post-Craig, and we get a new team for a new Bond, with a new approach.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »

EON are acutely aware of the fan reaction.

Are they? So how come it took them three films to put the GB in the right place when everyone has been screaming for it since 2008?

And I think I remember pretty much all these same comments about wanting M to just give Bond a mission and there be no personal connection after SF and yet we get even more personal and more M involvement.

I think anyone hoping that we'll get a straightforward mission is sadly deluding themselves.

Firstly the very fact that Blofeld will return means it will be personal (unless they just pretend the Oberhauser stuff never happened - theyve airbrushed QOS out of history as best they can so it's possible).

Secondly we are stuck with Judi Dench syndrome with the MI6 regulars. They are going to want more out of Fiennes and Wishaw than a 5 minute scene each at the start of the film.

Thirdly (and most importantly) Babs will move heaven and earth for Mendes to return as with the last 2 Bonds taking $2 billion EON see him as indispensible. And if you think Sam is going to deliver a standard mission with no personal connection you really don't know the man.

Our opinion is entirely incidental to EON. Between us all on here what would our contribution to SP's gross add up to? It wouldn't even dent the take for the London IMAX. And that's one screen.

Sorry folks but it's a numbers game and Sam's way is delivering consistently high box office so they ain't gonna change just because a few of us on here are whining.
    Do you think that opinion isn't one that shared by many outside of mi6? SP was a full 29% lower than SF on rottentomatoes, and other critics amalgamations similarly found SP a huge dropoff after SF.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Well they certainly paid attention after DAD, and that film was super successful as well. So sometimes, EON is more than just about the money, thankfully.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well they certainly paid attention after DAD, and that film was super successful as well. So sometimes, EON is more than just about the money, thankfully.

Agreed.
  • Even though SP was a success at the box office, it did significantly worse than SF, and EON has shown a willingness to change directions in similar situations before, like with YOLT doing worse than TB or MR doing worse than TSWLM.
    Even though SP was a success at the box office, it did significantly worse than SF, and EON has shown a willingness to change directions in similar situations before, like with YOLT doing worse than TB or MR doing worse than TSWLM.

Umm...Regarding YOLT its boxoffice was about 2/3rds of what Thunderball made in North America, but overseas it wasn't that much lower than TB.
    As TB was, and is today still by far the most successful Bond film in N.America by quite a staggering distance in admissions, it was highly unlikely that YOLT was going to be on that same level.

.......btw MR had a higher N.American and Worldwide boxoffice gross than TSWLM.

all the BO facts of Bond are on the internet. ;)
    No more bloody explosions please.

I realize they've been trying to top themselves of late, but after the over budgeted disaster (Guinness book or not) imho of the Blofeld lair explosion in SP, I'm done with this.
    I'm not sure what they could do to top the helicopter scene in Spectre, but no more physically impossible trickshots.
    Sark wrote: »
    Do you think that opinion isn't one that shared by many outside of mi6? SP was a full 29% lower than SF on rottentomatoes, and other critics amalgamations similarly found SP a huge dropoff after SF.

It remains to be seen what message Eon takes from SP, since SF was also a personal mission. Maybe they will go with a dramatic death of one of the major characters, again.
    That got a genuine laugh from me birdleson, well done.
    I'd like to have no more messages from beyond the grave. Vesper and M, I'm looking at you.
  • echo wrote: »
    I'd like to have no more messages from beyond the grave. Vesper and M, I'm looking at you.

At least they had the decency to weave Vesper's message into the story and not make it a half-hearted attempt at continuity.
    echo wrote: »

That's certainly something they need to steer clear from.

I think it's pretty much a given that the next one will be personal, so once Craig hangs up the tux, I'd put down the "this time...it's personal" plot device as something I don't want to see from the series for a long time once the next Bond makes his debut. At that point, it should be business as usual for a while.