Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've said it before, but every time I see the title of this thread, the one thing that clicks and stands out the most is: CG animals. Stop doing it. Please.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Me, too. Stereotypes didn t emanate from nothing.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I, for one, love the racial stereotypes. Its indicative of the times and was taken for granted. I am always interested in perceptions and what was acceptable at various points in history.

Ditto. Are you aware of the British TV Show, 'Only Fools and Horses'? When the BBC show re-runs they edit them (in some cases heavily) to remove dialogue that may 'cause offence'. It totally diminishes the impact of many episodes and the characters within. In my book it is simply air-brushing history and culture. It's about context and I think it's important for younger viewers to see it as it was originally intended. After all, these were/are classics.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I, for one, love the racial stereotypes. Its indicative of the times and was taken for granted. I am always interested in perceptions and what was acceptable at various points in history.

Ditto. Are you aware of the British TV Show, 'Only Fools and Horses'? When the BBC show re-runs they edit them (in some cases heavily) to remove dialogue that may 'cause offence'. It totally diminishes the impact of many episodes and the characters within. In my book it is simply air-brushing history and culture. It's about context and I think it's important for younger viewers to see it as it was originally intended. After all, these were/are classics.

They do this in Sweden, too. In newer editions of Pippi Longstockings, her father is no longer a "negro king", but a "king of the southern seas".
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Apparently they are doing a remake of The Damn Busters in which the dog will be renamed "Digger".

I don't think that's such a bad thing to be honest. It's a comparatively minor detail.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189

I've always been a huge fan of Fawlty Towers and this scene immediately comes to mind.

You'd never get away with this now on a modern early evening show (rightly so), but I've never heard of it being edited out when repeated on television in the UK.

I've never found this scene particularly bad tbh as it just shows the Major to be a bit of an old, outdated buffon.

• @Bain123

It is edited out of the television broadcast

BBC edited Fawlty Towers? Wow. The horror of it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Interested to know (if anyone who has seen the edited version can shed any light) if it's just that scene with the Major that was cut?

Was Fawlty's 'you stupid Kraut' kept intact? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was as we all know how the BBC's policies work.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Bond having some bad hairdo day...

craig-hair.jpg?quality=80&w=650
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I never want to see a super-tall person sitting in front of me in a Bond movie again.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Let's see... That lady eating bananas on OHMSS. I can't help but see unfortunate implications there. And not of phallic nature...

So no black person is allowed to eat a banana in a bond film because... .you feel black people are associated with chimps?

Please tell me who are the racists?

Sheriff J.W Pepper and Bond himself in the novels.
    Before I screw it up, a question: Is it just me or Bond is extremely rude to a hotel clerk in Moonraker, just before meeting Manuela?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    This thread is getting way off track, and as the OP I'd like to say that I hope any discussion of racism in the literary Bonds ends with bigladiesman's post.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Moneypenny in the field.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'd prefer less obvious references to past classic Bond films in future entries. I find they aren't doing the originals justice and are just cheapening the earlier films to a degree with such ham fisted attempts. I'd appreciate it if they could put their thinking and creative hats on and try to create new iconic references from now on.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd prefer less obvious references to past classic Bond films in future entries. I find they aren't doing the originals justice and are just cheapening the earlier films to a degree with such ham fisted attempts. I'd appreciate it if they could put their thinking and creative hats on and try to create new iconic references from now on.

Agreed. Been saying this since QoS and vehemently since SF.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Sark wrote: »
    This thread is getting way off track, and as the OP I'd like to say that I hope any discussion of racism in the literary Bonds ends with bigladiesman's post.

T'was a joke. But I'll take note of it for my book.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Before I screw it up, a question: Is it just me or Bond is extremely rude to a hotel clerk in Moonraker, just before meeting Manuela?
    It's a good example of Bond's snobbery. I've always liked that moment.

Absolutely. Well said.
    pachazo wrote: »
    I must see how it sounds in OV, then. In the Castilian Spanish (I dunno about American Spanish), Bond's dub actor was the same as Darth Vader, and man, it sounds meeeeeean :>
  • RC7RC7
    It seems to have become a staple of modern popular culture and I really dislike it. As much as I enjoyed TFA it's as guilty as the rest this year. To put it in perspective, it only highlights that TFA isn't as good as SW, SP isn't as good as the classics it riffs on and JW is so far away from JP it's laughable that it's lauded as a big hit.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I must see how it sounds in OV, then. In the Castilian Spanish (I dunno about American Spanish), Bond's dub actor was the same as Darth Vader, and man, it sounds meeeeeean :>
    I'm not sure if the translation is word for word in Spanish, but the lines in English are as follows:

Porter: "The president's suite!"
    Bond: "Really? Well don't bother showing me the rest, if I get lost I'll call a cab."

I always felt Bond was being a dick because he didn't want to pay a tip for the walk around said suite. Not rude per se, but arrogant. Moore delivers it in his signature smooth tone.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    Bond begging the villain to stop something.
    Countdown timers.

It's really been done to death now.
    I'm not sure if the translation is word for word in Spanish, but the lines in English are as follows:

Porter: "The president's suite!"
    Bond: "Really? Well don't bother showing me the rest, if I get lost I'll call a cab."

I always felt Bond was being a dick because he didn't want to pay a tip for the walk around said suite. Not rude per se, but arrogant. Moore delivers it in his signature smooth tone.

Something in the vein, if not a literal translation. I have to say it's someting one would expct from any Bond but Sir Roger. That's ironically why I actually find it mean-o, not for the quote "per se".
    Countdown timers.

It's really been done to death now.

Hell, yea.

About Moneypenny being on field, I'll go a fit off-tompic and say I think at least Naomie Harris looks like an action girl. So did Caroline Bliss if we change her appearance just a little bit IMHO.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2016 Posts: 7,314
    It seems to have become a staple of modern popular culture and I really dislike it. As much as I enjoyed TFA it's as guilty as the rest this year. To put it in perspective, it only highlights that TFA isn't as good as SW, SP isn't as good as the classics it riffs on and JW is so far away from JP it's laughable that it's lauded as a big hit.
    And all the money they've made only encourages them (and others) to do more of the same.
    It's difficult to see it stopping any time soon, unfortunately.
    To be honest I don't know what any of those initialisms in RC7's post refer to with the exception of SP.
    Sark wrote: »
    To be honest I don't know what any of those initialisms in RC7's post refer to with the exception of SP.
    @Sark, they are as follows:
    TFA - The Force Awakens
    SW - Star Wars (A New Hope)
    JP -Jurassic Park
    JW - Jurassic World
    Ok, thanks. Not sure why anyone could be expected to know that on a James Bond forum.