The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Just noticed that. I haven't seen that film in ages.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    The Rockawhoo...?? Lol. Dalton was great in that.

Btw I'm a Dalton fan again. I'm so bipolar. Sorry still not a Glen fan. Watched TLD last night.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    aspie wrote: »

How can Dalton be in his 70's? Apart from his grey hair, he could pass for someone 20 years younger. Heck, he could come back as James Bond in a one-off 'Bond out of retirement for one final mission' and still wipe the floor with most action actors 50 years younger than him. If Michael Mann is looking to do another 'Collateral-style' film, he should look no further than Timothy Dalton.

Had this film (Licence to kill) been financially successful, Timothy Dalton would have starred in a third James Bond film. Entitled "Property of a Lady", it would have been set in Scotland, Tokyo and Hong Kong and would have involved nanotechnology.

How much do we know about this?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Had this film (Licence to kill) been financially successful, Timothy Dalton would have starred in a third James Bond film. Entitled "Property of a Lady", it would have been set in Scotland, Tokyo and Hong Kong and would have involved nanotechnology.

How much do we know about this?

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/movies/bond17.php3
    How can Dalton be in his 70's?

He isn't.
    His correct birth year is 1946.
    He's 69 years old.

The Mirror got that wrong,
    because of the 1944 date, that came up on the Internet some years ago.

Somewhere there are documents around online, that prove the '46 date.
    I think I even saw them on this board some months ago.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    How can Dalton be in his 70's?

He isn't.
    His correct birth year is 1946.
    He's 69 years old.

The Mirror got that wrong,
    because of the 1944 date, that came up on the Internet some years ago.

Somewhere there are documents around online, that prove the '46 date.
    I think I even saw them on this board some months ago.

Even if Dalton is 69 he looks like someone who is just over 50 years old.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    aspie wrote: »
    As I mentioned on another thread, the reporting a little sloppy here. Dalton is not wearing a Rolex Submariner in the recent photo, but rather, an Omega Seamaster, similar to the one that Brosnan most prominently wore as Bond. The bracelet and crown protrusion are a giveaway.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    T-Dalts and Jennifer Connelly... good enough reasons to watch The Rocketeer.
    "It vasnt' lies Jenny......It vas acting".

I love that line. :)
    Dalton is my favorite Bond after Connery.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,813
    The Rocketeer is a great one!
    'I'm going to miss Hollywood!' (Proceeds to crash directly into the Hollywood sign) Classic!

Isn't it funny how the star of the movie is the only one who never really did anything else? Too bad, he had potential.
    Dalton remains one of the few guys on earth who looks good with or without a mustache ^:)^
    Inspired by him, I tried one out once. Didn't look good on me
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Just come across this:

Dalton's undoubtedly very skilled performing on the stage (I can't imagine learning all those Shakespearean lines and having to perform them so fluently and with such dramatic flare).

Some of the looks he gives (like at 01.36) I recognise from his Bond performances.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No wonder he & Lynn had a thing... ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/816010039?-25838:12656:0

A survey amongst 2000 women has identified Daniel Craig in their top 5 hottest British men, and in the 'silver fox' category Timothy Dalton has made the top 5!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Penny Dreadful is getting the 1:6 action figure treatment:

If they make Sir Malcolm, I will seriously consider buying two (one to keep as Sir Malcolm, and the other to rework as an older Dalton:Bond).
  • I like this... But when was Timothy Dalton playing Bond again? Was it in the 70s? I haven't seen those yet. Are they good?
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Cuckoo007 wrote: »
    I like this... But when was Timothy Dalton playing Bond again? Was it in the 70s? I haven't seen those yet. Are they good?

He played Bond at the end of the 80's (final years of the Cold War, AIDS crisis, etc.) in The Living Daylights (1987) and Licence to Kill (1989).

As for whether or not they're good, you should know better than to ask that. These films depend entirely on your perspective and what you feel a Bond film should be (or what you expect to get from watching one). Dalton attempts to be closer to the literary Bond and brings a darker intensity to his films than Moore's, but because Moore was so long-lived and popular, there are some thinly-laced scenes and lines in Dalton's flicks that were really written for Moore (the director for Dalton's two films was John Glen, who directed Moore's last three and shared Moore's sense of humour). Dalton was known for clashing with Glen, who couldn't fully break out of the directing style he had used for Moore's last three, so you get some scenes that Dalton is clearly uncomfortable in.

But his films are quite intense with some great stuntwork. I've enjoyed them both, but at the end of the day, they both have faults because neither were the type of ideal film for Dalton.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Cuckoo007 wrote: »
    I like this... But when was Timothy Dalton playing Bond again? Was it in the 70s? I haven't seen those yet. Are they good?

Yes, they're bloody excellent! Go watch them now. You're in for a real treat!

Penny Dreadful season 3 trailer:

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I have to say, that since Penny Dreadful is now one of my all-time favourite TV-Shows (also thanks to Dalton)
    that I have found a new appreciation for Timothy Dalton as an overall actor.

He looks just freaking cool and good in Penny Dreadful.
    I almost wish they would make a NSNA like movie with him.

A shame, he didn't have much to do in cinema and television after his way too short tenure as Bond.

By the way, I'm re-watching SINS this weekend. The best mini-series ever made! In case you don't know this mini-series of the 80's here's a look at it:

By the way, many Bond movies supporting actors are in SINS up to the Craig-era!
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C23XAuqwDac"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks for that @BondJasonBond006. I'm going to buy this mini series today. Look forward to it. I do enjoy this sort of 80's sap from time to time.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Happy Birthday!.

Timothy Dalton celebrate his 70 years old birthday today..
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    A very happy birthday to Timothy Dalton!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Happy Birthday Timothy Dalton !
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Many happy returns. Aging very well I must say.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    NicNac wrote: »
    Many happy returns. Aging very well I must say.
    Yes, he's definitely found his look.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Ha, Happy Birthday Mr. Dalton, one of my favorite Bonds and we have the same birthday! :-bd
    Dalton also shares his birthday with another classically trained actor - Gary Oldman.