Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

Botched it with EA? How so, if I may ask?

The only title in EA's run that gave the audience a negative impact was GoldenEye: Rogue Agent.

In my opinion EA and ACtivision both did cool and unique things with the bond licence and both had misteps.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Activision's biggest crime was taking away all the things that made the Bond games great. They did try to treat the license with care with Quantum of Solace (even though wrongfully), but the rest of the games they made were really toned down in their respectable qualities, no longer making the Bond series 'AAA' Games. We didn't have that with EA. They put the best of their efforts to deliver something unique, even if they had their missteps.

Don't get me wrong, Blood Stone is a good video game on both of its platforms (DS and Console/PC), and so was PlayStation 2's Quantum of Solace. But, they are far from being as good as EA's Bond games.
    I loved the Goldeneye Reboot.

The issue was they didnt realize why Goldeney was a huge success and gave us 007 legends even though Goldeneye Reboot there was thought and enrgy put into it klegends feels like a bunch of story DLC just given to us for no rhyme or reason
    Perhaps, I am in the minority who really doesn't approve of the GoldenEye reboot. There are a few characters who do fit in the modern world and are adapted well, but the storyline was very much of a downer and so was the narrative. The gameplay? Well, that was the product's biggest negativity for me. Like 007 Legends, the game was a cheap Modern Warfare rip-off, with little to nothing to offer to the player. Just run and gun, press a few buttons to advance through the game (i.e. push X to open the door, push X to scan the computer, etc.), it doesn't give you the freedom to move freely around the map of each level and use the equipment other than the weapons you have with you at your convenience. Then again, the major version of Quantum of Solace was that different either, aside from the graphical aspect of the game which is why I said Activision treat the license with that entry like it was their own child.

My complaint with Blood Stone was that the levels were too scripted. Too linear. From the on-foot action to the driving segments. But, I enjoy the game for its theatrical appearance every now and then, and might play it very soon when I have Bond video game marathon.
  • RC7RC7
    Perhaps, I am in the minority who really doesn't approve of the GoldenEye reboot.

It's just a cash-in, capitalising on the name of one of the seminal games of all time. It was a little like the Karate Kid remake. Pointless.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Perhaps, I am in the minority who really doesn't approve of the GoldenEye reboot.

It's just a cash-in, capitalising on the name of one of the seminal games of all time. It was a little like the Karate Kid remake. Pointless.
    Summed it up perfectly in a couple of sentences.
    Shrugs to each his or her own for me it was a fun reiamginign that I had a blast playing the one thing I didsliked was the lack of a cover system (and issue also in legends) if Goldeneye had the FPS/TPS in cover mechanics of Quantum it would of been my favorite bond game period as the level were amazing.
    Of course. We can't all like the same thing.

For example, I am one of the few people here who likes Brosnan's Bond. ;)

But, that's another story.

Here's to a bright future for the Bond games, and may they be great again. :>
    It's just my opinion, but I thought both EA and Activision did a terrible job with the license. EA had one good game, Everything or Nothing, the rest weren't very good at all. Activision's best was the extremely ordinary Quantum of Solace, and from there the games were either shameless cash grabs like the GoldenEye remake or were just all-around terrible, like 007 Legends.

007 Legends has already put the franchise pretty much on ice (we're closing in on four years since its release) and there hasn't really been any movement towards a new developer, much less a new game. I just want them to, if they're going to start up with the games again, to be careful about who they award the license to. Another misstep like 007 Legends could lead to another, potentially longer hiatus.
    I agree on everything you said aside from the EA studios doing a terrible job. I mean... I agree their debut that was Tomorrow Never Dies is merely an average game and wasn't given much of a thought into. But, you can't say the same to The World Is Not Enough on Nintendo 64, Agent Under Fire and Nightfire on PS2/Xbox/GameCube. Can you?
    I didn't think that any of those were particularly good, certainly not worth the $50-60 that they cost. I also didn't think that they were worthy of the franchise, either. When there are a lot of top-notch games out there, and considering that Bond has had a game that many list as one of the greatest of all-time, I don't think it's much to ask for the games to be a bit more than the rather average and fairly generic FPSs that Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and The World is Not Enough ended up being.

Again, though, that's just my opinion.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I have to admit they never were on par with the original GoldenEye, because they were a lackluster in some segments or they were just being too short. But, my thoughts is that they wanted to go in tandem with how a film adventure would be in their lengths, so that was why probably EA's Bond games were short. The shortest, probably, is Agent Under Fire which suffered from fast production and many worthy elements were cut-off in the final game. Sadly.

I do understand where you're coming from, however. They were fun games, but they weren't really video games but somewhat film tie-ins.

Like I said a few pages back, the Bond games shouldn't rely on the films and their standards and must develop their own standards regarding the pacing, story elements, chronology and even gameplay.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No matter how many times developers and publishers mess up a Bond game, the titles will never stop being released, so people don't have to worry about that. As long as there's money to be made, hacks will get paid.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd love to see someone make a mod of GoldenEye 64 and make custom Tomorrow Never Dies levels as Rare was asked to do a TND game but decided to make Perfect Dark instead.
    TWINE (n64)
    Agent Under Fire
    Nightfire
    Everything or Nothing
    From Russia With Love

EA really knew what they were doing. It's amazing looking back
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 462
    Although not a proper game, I'm planning on creating a twenty level mod of GoldenEye on the N64. You'll only need to know how to emulate the original or have a device such as an EverDrive 64 to play. The first level sees Bond infiltrating a military compound at the Byelomorye Dam in Arkhangelsk after a cache of illegal weapons are tracked to the site by a spy satellite.

A video of me doing a test of run through the first level in the mod:

My plan is to create a fifteen level campaign that combines a couple Bond fan-film scripts I've written in the past with elements of the original GoldenEye storyline. The last five missions would be based off of classic Bond elements. The levels will be vastly different and reorganized and should make for a new experience.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 3,000
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    Although not a proper game, I'm planning on creating a twenty level mod of GoldenEye on the N64. You'll only need to know how to emulate the original or have a device such as an EverDrive 64 to play. The first level sees Bond infiltrating a military compound at the Byelomorye Dam in Arkhangelsk after a cache of illegal weapons are tracked to the site by a spy satellite.

A video of me doing a test of run through the first level in the mod:

My plan is to create a fifteen level campaign that combines a couple Bond fan-film scripts I've written in the past with elements of the original GoldenEye storyline. The last five missions would be based off of classic Bond elements. The levels will be vastly different and reorganized and should make for a new experience.

@CrzChris4 Cool! Have you considered using the Unreal Engine for that? It's free.
    I wish EA would get the rights back and release a trilogy HD remaster. Id be 100% content if thats all we got this generation. No Bond gaming news is really a downer
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,423
    YELARAKA wrote: »
    I wish EA would get the rights back and release a trilogy HD remaster. Id be 100% content if thats all we got this generation. No Bond gaming news is really a downer
    Sir, you've got my utmost respect just for that.

However, I would wish they'd reconstruct the character models to make them look more realistic rather than enhancing their textures for HD view, which wouldn't really change the original models. I wasn't pleased with the HD remastering of the Hitman games, such as.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @ClarkDevlin, that's because the HD remaster was really nothing other than a port of the PC copy, which was nothing special to look at, either. It was simply a re-release of the original releases, nothing more. However, I couldn't care less because I'm a huge 'Hitman' fan so I was happy to go back and replay such classics. Even if we got an HD remaster of old Bond titles, they can do nothing with them but re-release them and I'd still buy them, updated graphics or not.
    It would be pleasant to see the console versions of EA's original 007 trilogy coming out for PC. Especially Nightfire, whose actual PC counterpart was a disappointing experience compared to its more famous installment.
    It would be pleasant to see the console versions of EA's original 007 trilogy coming out for PC. Especially Nightfire, whose actual PC counterpart was a disappointing experience compared to its more famous installment.
    Interesting as I prefer the PC version over the Console version.... but to each his or her own

yeah it's been nearly 4 years since the last video game which is crazy to me... heck IFP (who is notoriously slow at getting authors and getting books out) are moving at a quicker pace then the video game industry (with a bond novel almost 1 every other year which means the next book should hit shelves around 2017)

I wonder why companies aren't clamoring to get the 007 license
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Interesting as I prefer the PC version over the Console version.... but to each his or her own

yeah it's been nearly 4 years since the last video game which is crazy to me... heck IFP (who is notoriously slow at getting authors and getting books out) are moving at a quicker pace then the video game industry (with a bond novel almost 1 every other year which means the next book should hit shelves around 2017)

I wonder why companies aren't clamoring to get the 007 license
    Oh, don't get me wrong, my good man, I do like the PC version, especially when it comes to the third act. But, the first two acts are done a lot better in the Console version, in my honest opinion.

And yes, you do have a point with the IFP doing well in the books industry. A Young Bond novel comes out in May this year, too. Well, Dynamite's Bond comics are also licensed by IFP, so that also counts.

I wish there would be someone who would pick up the Bond license for the gaming media.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    YELARAKA wrote: »

With current EA, however, that'd be a digital title that costs as much as a brand new game, multiplayer would be a separate purchase, and all three games would be separate purchases. EA doesn't care about gamers anymore, and the games would be destroyed by this remaster.
  • Is that a common practise now? I've never heard of multiplayer being a seperate purchase.

While it'd be cool playing the old Brosnan games in HD, I'm perfectly content just digging out the ps2 when I fancy playing them. I still find myself giving Nightfire a play through at least once a year and I'm still noticing new stuff (eg- last time I played it I discovered that getting a headshot on a guard at a certain point makes him fall into a fountain, and Bond quips about it afterwards). The castle level is just perfection. It's everything a Bond game should be. Such a criminally underrated game. It's aged brilliantly. The multiplayer is great too. Basically, the game people remember Goldeneye 64 being? Nightfire is that game. While Goldeneye is basically unplayable today. Even not taking into account how poorly GE has aged, Nightfire also gives more freedom in it's level design, feels more like a Bond film (gunbarrel in the first level not just the menu, cinematic cutscenes, etc), and has a strong original story instead of just butchering a classic Bond film. There's also a great deal more variety, there's driving, there's on rails chases in planss and snowmobiles, there's a mission where you're undercover at a party and not using a gun. In Goldeneye you're essentially playing a mute mass murderer for most of the game. In Nightfire, you're James Bond, even without Brosnan's voice.

But anyway, Ubisoft and Telltale are my number one choices still. Since Assassin's Creed is no longer an annual release, I'd enjoy it if Ubisoft got the licence and used Bond to fill that slot. Getting a new Bond game one year and a new AC the next, alternating between my two favourite game franchises, would be great. I'd also enjoy an Avalanche developed Bond game. I've been playing Just Cause 3 lately and it's a blast.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Did Ubisoft actually say that Assassin's Creed was no longer annual release? I thought they were just skipping this year.

No, separating the multiplayer and single player isn't common, but I wouldn't put it past the current EA, because they don't like the people who purchase their games.
    I'd rather we don't get Telltale at all. Nor Curve Digital. Get the Bond games generated in the FP/TP category with shooter elements. Not entirely shooters, but give the player the option to play shootouts rather than full-time spying.

I don't want to see a Quick-Time Event-based Bond game. That's what Telltale does as far as I'm concerned whereas Curve Digital does sidescrollers mostly.
    Yes, but they're QTEs with great stories. A third person shooter with a good story and elements that aren't pure shootouts, and I'm happy. I'm tired of Bond games being "walk in room, do objective, shoot people".
    A third person shooter with a good story and elements that aren't pure shootouts, and I'm happy. I'm tired of Bond games being "walk in room, do objective, shoot people".
    Exactly what I meant.
    Not related to the future of the series, but here's a promotional video of GoldenEye 007 at E3 1996. I love how they were actually going for the Moore gunbarrel stance at first: https://vid.me/eDEV

Promotional Trailer: https://vid.me/O6B3

Interviews at a launch event in New York City: https://vid.me/LYHH

Maud Adams and Grace Jones attend the launch event:
    Image 01
    Image 02

N64 Marketing Trailer: https://vid.me/QzC

Alternate Opening Logo: Preview Image

Promotional Merchandise - GoldenEye Hologram Watch:
    Preview Image 01
    Preview Image 02
    Preview Image 03

Early Beta Weapons: