Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

So I am replaying 007 legends (achievement hunting and I made like 4 achievements last night alone)

So honestly I am thinking that activision had they been smarter could of been really riding high and makeing a ton of money and even followed the formula of redoing old films in the style of Craig if they just were smart about things personally they should of done a full game of Goldfinger and a full game of OHMSS etc and release them each a year apart from them as well as have original stories in third person from a different developer because the level designs in the game are nice it's just the story is way to hogpoged and I hate the voice actor.

Had they waited a year and did Goldfinger the video game with Craig Harris And Fiennes reprising their roles (voice and likeness) it would of sold like gangbusters and been a huge boost for bond video games... Sigh now we may never get a bond degree ever.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Goldfinger would have worked in the style of Metal Gear Solid games. A Stealthy Third Person Shooter and not a First Person Shooter. Both Reloaded and Legends failed in the stealth department... Amongst some other things.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,423
    HASEROT wrote: »
    for whatever reason, i never liked the way Activision handled the firearm animations in their Bond games - it seemed too cartoony, what with yellow streaks following bullets - it's a minor pet peeve of mine, but i think they could've upped the realism a little, considering that these are the same people that do COD.. not that COD is anything realistic, but the realism (imo) is night and day between the two games..... if those games had been made the same exact way using EA's Frostbite engine and dev team - i think it would've resulted in a much better experience...

personally, i think going back and redoing all the Bond films and modernizing them for videogame purposes cheapens it... they got away with it for Goldeneye - but it still felt cheap to me... if they ever go back to make games out of the old movies, set it in it's proper time and place, with the right actors and actresses likeness.... i couldn't imagine playing a game for TSWLM, and not being Roger Moore's Bond. - or seeing Walter Gotel as Gogol.
    Well said on both accounts. I couldn't agree more. Activision never cared for the Bond license and I feel they have just bid against for the sake of going head to head with Electronic Arts. Bobby Kotick (Activision) kept slamming John Riccitiello (EA) down for permitting the greenlight of GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, yet the same year he made the mediocre Quantum of Solace which was nothing but all graphics kind of material. I suppose just running and gunning in a game that looks too good is better than a game that lets you actually achieve things and unlock experiences for the pleasure of the gamer? Yep! Activision's way of thinking.
    was just looking at JUST CAUSE 3... what about Avalanche Studios and Square Enix doing a Bond game?

I'm all for that! They wouldn't let their products and audiences down. I played their Mad Max and was very pleased with it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    i wouldn't mind seeing Machine Games and Bethesda team up on 007 - they did wonders with Wolfenstein: The New Order...... i am not advocating keeping Bond as machine gunning mass murderer - but from graphical and story standpoint, Machine Games did a good job here..

If they leave out the game breaking glitches (The New Order), i'd don't see why not.

In the hopes that some espionage/stealth would rub off on the games, why not Ubisoft (Splinter Cell)?
    After doing some research and all, I don't think Ubisoft is a good idea. They are just the lesser evil version of Activision.
    for whatever reason, i never liked the way Activision handled the firearm animations in their Bond games - it seemed too cartoony, what with yellow streaks following bullets - it's a minor pet peeve of mine, but i think they could've upped the realism a little, considering that these are the same people that do COD.. not that COD is anything realistic, but the realism (imo) is night and day between the two games..... if those games had been made the same exact way using EA's Frostbite engine and dev team - i think it would've resulted in a much better experience...

personally, i think going back and redoing all the Bond films and modernizing them for videogame purposes cheapens it... they got away with it for Goldeneye - but it still felt cheap to me... if they ever go back to make games out of the old movies, set it in it's proper time and place, with the right actors and actresses likeness.... i couldn't imagine playing a game for TSWLM, and not being Roger Moore's Bond. - or seeing Walter Gotel as Gogol.

I am not saying I would of loved a revamp of goldfinger I am saying I hate the lack of bond games since 2012 and a lack of good ones since 2010 (as goldeneye and bloodstone came out that year)

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ubisoft would waste the license on annual titles that stop being fun after the third one.
  • Ubisoft would waste the license on annual titles that stop being fun after the third one.

I agree 100%.

My dream Bond game is basically something akin to Blood Stone but longer, with a better story, better villain(s) and more variety. I think a mix of stealth + third person shooting + racing is a great foundation for a Bond game. Mix in a bit of exploration (they have a treasure trove of easter eggs to exploit) and maybe a few puzzles here and there and you have a winner.

Sadly, I doubt there is any developer out there who could achieve all of those things at the same time, at least at the moment.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The fact that there are two dev teams only muddies the AC water. The story isn't allowed to progress because the two teams either ignore one another or simply can't communicate for whatever reason.

And as far as people buying them... Well... COD still sells well, too. Both are beautiful to look at, but looks alone don't justify the price.

They'll never get it, but I would go with Rockstar. They put quality above all, games aren't released until they're ready, and you can always see the polish (San Andreas' X360 port notwithstanding). Give Bond to them, EON. Don't forget the first rule of mass media - "Give the people what they want."
    Other than The Warriors, did Rockstar actually publish a licensed game? One would think they are against licensed materials. I might be wrong, though.
    Not that I know of, but I'd imagine they wouldn't have a problem with it.
    how about Maximum Games

http://www.alekhines-gun.com/
    It isn't a news about Bond but it's related to its past... Well, sort of. Thought I'd share it with you, chaps.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wish Rare made a Tomorrow Never Dies game. It would have been amazing.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wish Rare made a Tomorrow Never Dies game. It would have been amazing.
    I don't know much about it but I think someone came close to such a thing when a Quake 2 mod was made with the Tomorrow Never Dies storyline. I've downloaded the mod various times but it kept crashing my Quake 2 game back in the day. However, if I remember correctly, the site's user reviews of the mod were positive.
    Rockstar games is a good candidate, but they have an IP called 'Agent' which is unreleased and similar to Bond in some ways so they would not take it.

Personally if they did I would love if they make a game out of the 2 Dalton films in one game. Rockstar would do it so well since they are known for their attention on detail. the gameplay mechanics and the atmosphere of the 2 films in the 80's are something they would manage to do well. The gameplay would probably be in either 3rd or 1st person and it would be a mix of driving, shooting, spying and all that, the shooting and driving mechanics from Max Payne 3 and GTA V was also good. I would absolutely love it if they made a game of it....
    I'm all for Dalton and the rest of the actors, but I am personally against adaptations. If I were the vice president/CEO of the publishers, I'd only commission and permit games that are original experiences and are not based on any of the previous or the current films.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He sounds confident enough and does have a point. Hey, if it puts a new Bond game on the shelves, let 'em do it.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Here's hoping the licence could be picked by someone soon enough, and hopefully someone competent and willing to deliver a high quality and deserving video game the franchise needs since Activision brought the almost irreparable damage into the heart of the series.
    Exciting news, but it appears that they mostly specialize in cartoony, 2d side scroller platformers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think most of us are imagining an extremely HD 3d game. Maybe they are completely capable of doing that, but I don't see any titles remotely close in their catalog on their site.

Obviously, a highly immersive, high-end graphics, gripping story-line, and huge open world game would be my first choice. If we couldn't get that I'd rather have a FMV type game that has you partly watching real actors in clips and partly playing the game and the story changes based on the decisions you make. I'm not sure if EON would go for that though. Might be too risky for the series.
    I would be fine with them who heard of Rocksteady before Batman Arkham Asylum?
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I would be fine with them who heard of Rocksteady before Batman Arkham Asylum?

Agreed, everyone has to start somewhere. I'd much rather a developer with passion than a portfolio.
    I think those that hold the rights for the Bond gaming franchise need to think long and hard about where they go with the rights the next time around. If they don't get it right this time, it's possibly the end of the Bond gaming franchise. They've botched it twice in a row, with EA and Activision. I don't think the franchise can afford a third misfire.
  • RC7RC7
    dalton wrote: »
    I think those that hold the rights for the Bond gaming franchise need to think long and hard about where they go with the rights the next time around. If they don't get it right this time, it's possibly the end of the Bond gaming franchise. They've botched it twice in a row, with EA and Activision. I don't think the franchise can afford a third misfire.

I doubt that.
    Botched it with EA? How so, if I may ask?

The only title in EA's run that gave the audience a negative impact was GoldenEye: Rogue Agent.