The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Gettler wrote: »
    For me it was a lack of tension and suspense. Sure, QOS had one where you couldn't see it half the time (unless you pay attention) but at least it had the villains showing their desire to kill Bond. Hinx just looked like he wanted to play. Nothing really stood out. It wasn't bad. Not great.

Sounds like an error in the viewer, not in the film. How can you see anything if you don't pay attention?

Expect it to be hyperbole.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I have a question if I may? Does anyone know if there are any fanzines out there? I know there are things like the MI6 Confidential mag and the 007 Magazine but I was wondering if there were any fanzines out there that anyone knew about?

The only reason I ask is that, a good few years ago, I used to write for a non-Bond fanzine and, for some reason, it's got me thinking.

Thanks.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,805
    I have a question if I may? Does anyone know if there are any fanzines out there? I know there are things like the MI6 Confidential mag and the 007 Magazine but I was wondering if there were any fanzines out there that anyone knew about?

The only reason I ask is that, a good few years ago, I used to write for a non-Bond fanzine and, for some reason, it's got me thinking.

Thanks.

Well, years ago there was Bondage (of The American James Bond Fan Club) and Goldeneye magazine (of The Ian Fleming Foundation) but both of those have sadly fallen by the wayside. I'm not sure if there are any more modern Bond fanzines out there though.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Thanks.

Well, years ago there was Bondage (of The American James Bond Fan Club) and Goldeneye magazine (of The Ian Fleming Foundation) but both of those have sadly fallen by the wayside. I'm not sure if there are any more modern Bond fanzines out there though.

Thanks for replying. I may well see if I can find some info on these as I find fanzines interesting (I used to write for a non-Bond fanzine years ago).

I'm sure there aren't any modern ones, which is a shame, but technology has certainly taken over and there wouldn't be a need for them really.

Cheers.

Thanks.

Thanks for replying. I may well see if I can find some info on these as I find fanzines interesting (I used to write for a non-Bond fanzine years ago).

I'm sure there aren't any modern ones, which is a shame, but technology has certainly taken over and there wouldn't be a need for them really.

Cheers.

Yes, I have a few copies of each and they're highly recommended.

And yes, the march of technology sadly probably put paid to the Bond fanzine.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

Thanks.
    Hi, @Shark_0f_Largo

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. Archivo 007 Club is publishing this online magazine:
    revista1_001.jpg
    club_revista02.jpg
    PORTADA03peque.jpg
    magazine_004.png

More than 100 pages each with all kind of topics. You can take a look here: http://www.archivo007.com/index.php/club-archivo-007/gadgets-del-club/club-archivo-007-magazine

It's in Spanish, not for sale and only for our Club members... http://www.archivo007.com/index.php/club-archivo-007/suscribete-al-club/levels
    ;)

(No spam intended, of course. I can edit the message if the mods want it.)
    Fantastic. Thank you very much for the links, I'll be sure to take a look :)
    Can someone confirm whose is the voice we hear during the Son et Lumiere at the Pyramids in TSWLM?

I thought that Omar Sharif was the man (even in today shows!), but I've read in Some Kind of Hero that Charles Gray made a sound cameo at least in some part ??
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just to be clear (as I'm sure it's the right answer): Bond is certain that they've tracked Honey this time, even though she's confident they don't bother anymore since she only comes for the shells. Is this only because he knows Doctor No and his men are probably looking out for his arrival, so they're tracking anything coming to the island?
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm whose is the voice we hear during the Son et Lumiere at the Pyramids in TSWLM?

I thought that Omar Sharif was the man (even in today shows!), but I've read in Some Kind of Hero that Charles Gray made a sound cameo at least in some part ??

I believe it was the voice of Omar Sharif - he did that show at the Pyramids for real.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have read that it is Charles Gray.
    I've read in another forum that he did the "second part" ?
    I believe it was the voice of Omar Sharif - he did that show at the Pyramids for real.
    That's what I thought, till I read about Gray... ?
    In SF: Why does Tanner assume it's someone from M's Hong Kong days that is responsible for blowing up M's office, when there's no evidence to back that up?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,473
    I'm just curious why the same characters are so radically different from SF to SP. Sounds like Mendes had no idea what he wanted, and made inconsistent changes as he went along. It's why Q is afraid of flying in SF and refuses to travel to Macau, then does a bunch of it in SP. It's also why they don't go in for things like exploding pens in SF, but they go in for things like exploding watches in SP? Consistency, Sam; it helps.

However, as much as I hate on SF, I realized something when I re-watched it: people always say "What are the odds that Silva planted that bomb and knew Bond would follow him that way, and that the train would come along at the exact time that Bond was standing there?" However, is it not the perfect plan for what comes next? Have a train smash through a wall and derail, and of course the cops will book it to that location to hold things off (as is shown when Bond escapes from underground and runs off after M.) They're going to be so preoccupied with that that Silva can look forward to a rather lacking amount of security around M and the hearing.

EDIT: (Wait...why is Bond suddenly a master marksman again? Can't hit a shot glass off Severine's head when she's that close, but now he's dropping people in the court room and nailing the cans (from a much longer distance) with his father's rifle with absolute ease.)

Anyway, end rant/discussion. I took this way off course, apologies.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,138
    In SF: Why does Tanner assume it's someone from M's Hong Kong days that is responsible for blowing up M's office, when there's no evidence to back that up?

General incompetance I guess.

The man actually would be a great spy. He's no forgettable that no one would be able to describe him after he left the room. "Who was here?!" "A...man." "What did he look like?" "Well, at least I think it was a man. POssibly a woman. Is there another option? Look like? Well he...he...he drank a Heineken and left without paying. I remember that much."

Creasy: how about nailing that helicopter engine from 200 yards away on a moving boat?

• It's hard to tell, but I always got the impression that Bond missed Severine on purpose. (The guns were ancient, he likely wasn't familiar with that model, and he didn't want to take a risk if the sight was slightly off.)

The videogame-style takedown of the helicopter was unforgiveable, however.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sark wrote: »

The man actually would be a great spy. He's no forgettable that no one would be able to describe him after he left the room. "Who was here?!" "A...man." "What did he look like?" "Well, at least I think it was a man. POssibly a woman. Is there another option? Look like? Well he...he...he drank a Heineken and left without paying. I remember that much."

Genius

Let's start the campaign for Rory to be the new Bond right here. Fleming's very definition of 'the man who is just a silhouette'.

Rory could walk into the Kremlin wearing a Hawaiian shirt and singing 'Agadoo', sit next to Putin, write down all his plans to poison critics and invade countries and then stroll casually out and the Russians would be at a total loss as to how we knew. They'd think our intelligence service was amazing when in reality it would be all down to the human black hole whom light doesn't enter and the normal rules of space and time don't apply.

I'm just curious why the same characters are so radically different from SF to SP. Sounds like Mendes had no idea what he wanted, and made inconsistent changes as he went along. It's why Q is afraid of flying in SF and refuses to travel to Macau, then does a bunch of it in SP. It's also why they don't go in for things like exploding pens in SF, but they go in for things like exploding watches in SP? Consistency, Sam; it helps.

Well as I'm bored at work I've had a desperate stab at making this fit together without the need for Q to become airborne.

Now if I recall correctly M is in Tokyo for the Nine Eyes conference and he rings asking where Bond is and says something along the lines of 'he'd better be in London when I return tomorrow'.

Now if we assume:
    1. Given the levels of snow all the way down at the lake in Austria we can assume the film is set around Jan-Feb. Therefore as its dark outside M is calling at no earlier 1700 Tokyo time (0800 London time).
    2. When he says he's returning tomorrow he means he will leave Tokyo in the morning.
    3. Being patriotic he will fly BA but due to Osborne's austerity measures he will take the cheapest flight. A quick search for next week shows that BA flight at 1115 from Narita airport to be his best bet. That lands at LHR at 1500 GMT. Factor in at least one hour for him to get back to the office then we can expect M back at MI6 at 1600 GMT.

Therefore I calculate Q realises he has (at best) 30 hours to get to Solden and bring Bond back without using air travel.

So the moment he puts the phone down to M he heads to St Pancras. Hes probably not going to make the 0831 so lets put him on the 0917 which gets him into Paris at 1247 CET. From there he takes the 1355 train to Basel arriving at 1809. There he hires a car and drives for another 4hrs 10 mins (according to Google) to arrive in Solden at approximately 2230 where he goes straight to bed.

Generally the first cable car up is around 0830 so if we say Q took this and Bond had the first appointment at 0900 and the events at Hoffler Kilnik play out in real time, then adding, say, 20 mins for Hinx to drive down the mountain and Bond to nick the plane, and another half hour for Bond and Madeline to hotwire a car and drive back to the hotel I cant really see it being possible for them all to meet back in Q's hotel room much before 1015 CET. So even if Q left there and then he's only got less than 7 hours to repeat a journey that took him 14 hours the night before. He's never going to make it. But luckily he doesnt have to because the magic ring proves Bond is on to something so he can use that to appease M. So you see it all fits together - kind of.

Anyway as Sam says its not so much about plot credibility but more about 'sending the characters on a journey'. We all assumed he meant metaphorically but in Q's case, as he treks through 4 countries, it seems he actual meant it literally.

@TheWizardOfIce, I enjoyed reading that way too much. Thank you.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have read that it is Charles Gray.
    I've read in another forum that he did the "second part" ?
    That's what I thought, till I read about Gray... ?
    Anymore references? 40th Anniversary is coming... ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2016 Posts: 7,526
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Moneypenny was "joking/lying" about Q being afraid to fly to justify her being there to Bond ("M's already briefed me on the list, which raises the tantilizing question of what you're really doing here...")

It's incredible how much controversy/work and effort that line has caused.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 3,000
    EDIT: (Wait...why is Bond suddenly a master marksman again? Can't hit a shot glass off Severine's head when she's that close, but now he's dropping people in the court room and nailing the cans (from a much longer distance) with his father's rifle with absolute ease.)

My only explaniation is that he gained his skills and confidence back along the way as he worked. It was all the sudden, though, especially the courtroom scene.
    After downloading SP from I-Tunes I have been able to at last watch it in some detail. Can anyone tell me what the watch is that he is wearing in the last scene when he drives off in the DB5. We see a very brief glimpse as he turns the ignition. White face, black strap ???
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Darren wrote: »
    After downloading SP from I-Tunes I have been able to at last watch it in some detail. Can anyone tell me what the watch is that he is wearing in the last scene when he drives off in the DB5. We see a very brief glimpse as he turns the ignition. White face, black strap ???

Watching it, kind of looks like an Omega Deville just from speculation.

1600x900_large_vueC.jpg
    Wait, is Spectre available for (legal) download now?
    @Sark, it's been available as a digital download since the 22nd.
    Thanks. Now my conundrum is do I pay double by buying the DVD and that or wait.
    With less than two weeks to go, I'd suggest waiting for the DVD and digital copy combo...which I can only assume is a thing? I know the blu-ray comes with a UV copy, not sure if DVD's do or not. Haven't bought a new one in years. But, if DVD is your format, you may be better off simply owning the digital copy, since the quality will be much better; better than DVD, not as good as blu-ray.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Am I the only one who found that the quality was not HD (even though I spent the HD price), but in fact a lower resolution of 480p? Regardless, the movie still looks terrific.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Sony phone. Delete.
    Even watching it on Vudu in HDX still isn't close to 1080p. That's why the best home viewing experience for it will be once it finally hits blu-ray.