The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Anthrax wrote: »
    Yes, yes it is. Are you a troper, too?

Yes, but I go by a different name there, Sleeping_Beauty. I do edits there, but for the most part, I spend my time reading. I did one small edit on Pierce Brosnan's section about the trope "Always save the girl".

[/quote]

Yep, I'm a troper under the very same nick I use here, and I make some additions now and then... But they're just a few.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Im I the only one who has the sensation that Bond gives the cold shoulder and a chilling look (brilliant moment by Sir Roger) to the officials and soldiers stationed in Germany when they cheer him and celebrate his disarming of the atomic bomb?
    IMHO, he reacts like: "So you chased and tried to gun me down, called me a madman and if not for Octopussy you all would be dead for not listening. Morover you forced me to dress like THIS. And NOW you go and congratulate and pat me? Screw you all, I'm outta here".

I always thought it was his reaction to their American enthusiasm :)

Another nice point, indeed.
  • Sorry if this has been answered already, but in GoldenEye, when we first meet Zukovsky, he says to Bond, "....or have they decided to join the 21st century?"

If he said that today it would certainly make sense, but not in 1995. Ar they suggesting the movie does indeed take place after 2000? In the PTS, it doesn't say '9 years ago', but rather after the PTS it says '9 years later'

Or am I just reading too much into it, and Zukovsky was just making an odd comment?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Seems like an odd goof, unless the screenwriter genuinely had no idea how timing of centuries works. At the same time, it would seem like such an odd 'easter egg,' of sorts, to confirm that the movie is taking place in post-2000 (if this IS the case), something that nobody would've picked up on and contemplated, anyway.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Copied from the last page:
    http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/39-things-learned-banned-dr-no-commentary.php?utm_content=buffere4f8f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    Shouldn't 11. be "The changing of Bond’s Beretta to a Walther PPK results from a point in the book “From Russia With Love” (which proceeds the novel of “Dr. No”) in which Red Grant (not Rosa Klebb) almost kills him when the gun jams."?
    I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I've read the book but I remember the gun jamming during Bond's fight with Grant.
    Why does Hinx kidnap Madelene? Is it because she's a woman
  • IGUANNA wrote: »
    Why does Hinx kidnap Madelene? Is it because she's a woman

I wondered about that too. If they wanted her dead, he could've just shot her in the face at the clinic.
    I assumed either 1) they wanted to kill her somewhere isolated, or 2) Blofeld wanted her alive for some reason, maybe because she knew something.
    (It's not like they could've framed her death as an accident, considering EVERYONE saw her being led away by Hinx and his men)
    Sorry if this has been answered already, but in GoldenEye, when we first meet Zukovsky, he says to Bond, "....or have they decided to join the 21st century?"

If he said that today it would certainly make sense, but not in 1995. Ar they suggesting the movie does indeed take place after 2000? In the PTS, it doesn't say '9 years ago', but rather after the PTS it says '9 years later'

Or am I just reading too much into it, and Zukovsky was just making an odd comment?

I always took it to be hyperbole rather than him literally meaning that they had entered in the 21st century - i.e. rather than being hyper relevant and ahead of their time, he was making the point that MI6 is rooted in the past - i.e. stuck in the 20th century with its Cold War - goes with the whole shtick of is Bond relevant now that the Cold War is over - i.e. Zukovsky, now not in the KGB but an arms dealer is done with all that and is looking to the future i.e. how to make money in the new Russia, so he's making the point that Bond, if he wants to join the future, should really give up on all this spy stuff and make money, like him.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I think Tanaka's explanation makes the most sense.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Thinking about it now does remind me of the scene with Silva in Skyfall (or rather the scene in Skyfall reminds me of of this) ... 'chasing spies, MI6 ... so old-fashioned.'

Beside which, TWINE is clearly set after GE and the BBC news report about Elektra's kidnapping is pre-2000. Incidentally, the BBC changed the style of the 6 o'clock news from that style just about the time the film was released.
  • Thank you @tanaka123 that does make sense
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    In Spectre, do you think the "car chase" was a bit slow because of the fact that both Hinx's Jaguar and Bond's DB10 were one-off expensive prototype-ish cars and they were afraid to get down and dirty with them?
    @PropertyOfALady, personally, I'm in the minority of those who found the chase scene to be rather thrilling and engaging. I'm not sure what those who disagree found "boring" or "slow" about it. Was it that the cars don't collide and Hinx never catches up to him and rams into him or something? I would've enjoyed seeing it, but yes, I could see why that wouldn't happen, and it's probably for the reason you just outlined.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @PropertyOfALady, personally, I'm in the minority of those who found the chase scene to be rather thrilling and engaging. I'm not sure what those who disagree found "boring" or "slow" about it. Was it that the cars don't collide and Hinx never catches up to him and rams into him or something? I would've enjoyed seeing it, but yes, I could see why that wouldn't happen, and it's probably for the reason you just outlined.
    Count me in the camp who enjoyed the car chase.
    For me it was a lack of tension and suspense. Sure, QOS had one where you couldn't see it half the time (unless you pay attention) but at least it had the villains showing their desire to kill Bond. Hinx just looked like he wanted to play. Nothing really stood out. It wasn't bad. Not great.
    In Spectre, do you think the "car chase" was a bit slow because of the fact that both Hinx's Jaguar and Bond's DB10 were one-off expensive prototype-ish cars and they were afraid to get down and dirty with them?
    I thought the exact same thing upon first viewing of the movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    TR007 wrote: »
    I thought the exact same thing upon first viewing of the movie.

I never thought of this myself, but it's a certainly solid theory.

• edited January 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Hinx: "Oh man I wanna get this guy so bad but my insurance is so high already!! Maybe if I just pull up next to him and give him the evil eye...."
    Lolol, perfect
    Let's see if this one has an actual answer: I'm very curious to know what type of solitaire Bond is playing while waiting to finish off professor Dent on DN. Is it determinable? I want to give it a try...
    Gettler wrote: »
    For me it was a lack of tension and suspense. Sure, QOS had one where you couldn't see it half the time (unless you pay attention) but at least it had the villains showing their desire to kill Bond. Hinx just looked like he wanted to play. Nothing really stood out. It wasn't bad. Not great.

Sounds like an error in the viewer, not in the film. How can you see anything if you don't pay attention?
    Let's see if this one has an actual answer: I'm very curious to know what type of solitaire Bond is playing while waiting to finish off professor Dent on DN. Is it determinable? I want to give it a try...

Is there another kind of solitaire? It looks like the normal kind that everyone learns as a kid. http://www.bicyclecards.com/how-to-play/solitaire/
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Finally, someone explained the plane chase scene in QoS (in rather fine detail);
    https://www.quora.com/In-Quantum-of-Solace-during-the-plane-chase-scene-what-exactly-does-Bond-do-to-foil-the-fighter-jet
    What an interesting and informative explanation.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,595
    Sounds like an error in the viewer, not in the film. How can you see anything if you don't pay attention?

He didn't word it right but I think what he meant to say was that the action scenes in that movie are shot and edited like shit. This is coming from someone who has nothing against handheld cameras (I love 21st century Michael Mann films).

@ThighsOfXenia, anyone who loves Michael Mann is a friend of mine. Hopefully your admiration isn't exclusive to the 21st Century, and you've seen his greatest filmography work that is 'Heat.'
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I too enjoyed that car chase. One of the funniest in the entire series.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Finally, someone explained the plane chase scene in QoS (in rather fine detail);
    https://www.quora.com/In-Quantum-of-Solace-during-the-plane-chase-scene-what-exactly-does-Bond-do-to-foil-the-fighter-jet

Great find @BMW_with_missiles.

Very interesting and I like the idea that Bond combined his knowledge of dogfighting, aeronautics, different aircraft spec and engine mechanics to out think the other pilot.

Although as the author points out the other pilot must have been a bit thick to end up being forced into the canyon wall. Superfluous and unecessary though it is I've always enjoyed this action sequence (well up until the embarrassing freefall sequence) and this adds an extra layer of depth that will certainly enhance my next viewing.

Mind you does anyone think a conversation that went into such aeronautical detail ever took place at an EON script meeting though? I'd be impressed if they did but I think they probably just said 'Bond causes the engine to smoke and the tailing pilot can't see and goes into the side of the canyon'.

Now can someone just explain how Bond manages to flip that boat in the air? I think he attaches it to an anchor and I'm assuming the anchor caught a rock but if the force was that much wouldn't the rope snap before the boat got flipped?

• edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Sark wrote: »

Is there another kind of solitaire? It looks like the normal kind that everyone learns as a kid. http://www.bicyclecards.com/how-to-play/solitaire/

I have various types of solitaire in a book, and some of them are in the wonderful site you showed me. I'll have to give it a closer look to learn some easy card games to play with my family. So thanks, Sark, this will come in handy.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,595
    @ThighsOfXenia, anyone who loves Michael Mann is a friend of mine. Hopefully your admiration isn't exclusive to the 21st Century, and you've seen his greatest filmography work that is 'Heat.'

Of course. I just mentioned the 21st Century because a lot of people don't care for his post-Insider work (i.e. shooting on HD digital) - so that solidifies me as a true enthusiast haha. For example, I think Miami Vice followed by Collateral are his #2 and #3 behind Heat