The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    My wife brought up a question that I didn't know the answer to.
    In SP, why is C called C?
    The name of MI6's founder is Mansfield Smith-Cumming, who's codename was C during the time he was in office. Since then, it has become tradition to give the title C to each new head of the agency. Max Denbigh's codename is most likely a nod to this.
    What was MP shouting when she unloaded her gun at Patrice as he jumps on the train?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Gettler wrote: »
    What was MP shouting when she unloaded her gun at Patrice as he jumps on the train?
    I've been wondering this for a while. I think it's one of the civilians but I could be wrong.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

I believe she said "Hands up!!!"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jake24 wrote: »
    The name of MI6's founder is Mansfield Smith-Cumming, who's codename was C during the time he was in office. Since then, it has become tradition to give the title C to each new head of the agency. Max Denbigh's codename is most likely a nod to this.

But when Bond smugly says 'I guess we should call you C then' like its the most hilarious joke ever how is the audience expected to know this reference?

Are we saying the audience isn't intelligent enough to remember QOS so we'll swiftly brush over any retcon links to that film but they are intelligent enough to be expected to know the history of the British secret service?
    I think the audience can just accept that it's his title for his position, same as M.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed

It's very hard to make out but I think it's "Down sir!" as she wants a member of the public to get out of the way so she can take a shot at Patrice.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

It's very hard to make out but I think it's "Down sir!" as she wants a member of the public to get out of the way so she can take a shot at Patrice.

Found one site which seems to agree. Not sure why they've made a clip of just that line, but here it is:

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7752b4af-4198-4f99-b837-fca36c53351f
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    There are a couple of things that came to my head while listening to LALD soundtrack... Was Rosie a real double agent or just a Kananga goon? I suppose it's the former because she seems to know Leiter, but maybe she's bluffing after all. And who sent Bond the clue to umask her? Was it Junior?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I can hear it now, thanks
    It is 'down, sir', when I first saw it in the cinema i thought she must have been saying something in Turkish to the bystander.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    It is 'down, sir', when I first saw it in the cinema i thought she must have been saying something in Turkish to the bystander.

This was my initial thought, as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Just to repost this question of mine:

Why is Melina Havelock so concerned about the Monastery Guard's welfare in FYEO?

I've long wondered about this scene in For Your Eyes Only (1981) and I can't really seem to come up with a convincing answer ass to why it was written in the way it was or what we the audience were meant to take away from it about Melina Havelock's character. The scene that I am referring to is when Melina silently shoots the St. Cyril's Monastery guard with her crossbow and Bond drags him inside the winch shed. He tries to keep him quiet until Melina and Columbo come up into the shed on the winch basket.

What I don't really get about this scene is why is the ever-vengeful Melina suddenly so concerned about the welfare of the Monastery guard that she has just shot? After all, she killed Gonzales. She later tries to kill Kristatos. The guard was in the employ of Kristatos, the man who paid Gonzales to have her mother and father killed, and she could have just as easily killed him with that crossbow. Despite this, she still fusses over him and tends to his wound until Columbo brings some logic back (and reminds us that this is a "take no prisoners" Bond film that we are watching) and knocks him out with a chop from his gun.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too hard on Melina here but this scene bugs me a bit and seems rather like a character inconsistency on the part of the writers Richard Maibaum and Michael G. Wilson. Was it just that he was only a guard working for Kristatos and thus not her real target - that he was just doing his job etc.?

So what do we think about this scene and what would you say was its purpose?
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,296
    I believe it may be possible in my opinion that it's within the realm of possibility maybe that possibly and this is conjecture on my part but perhaps it's reasonable to assume that in all likelihood of probability and that within reason that maybe they were once lovers. Whew, took a while to think of that.
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    I believe it may be possible in my opinion that it's within the realm of possibility maybe that possibly and this is conjecture on my part but perhaps it's reasonable to assume that in all likelihood of probability and that within reason that maybe they were once lovers. Whew, took a while to think of that.

Well, you've wasted your time, haven't you?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    IGUANNA wrote: »

Well, you've wasted your time, haven't you?

Haha.

Oh joy everyone @IGUANNA is back.
  • jake24 wrote: »

But when Bond smugly says 'I guess we should call you C then' like its the most hilarious joke ever how is the audience expected to know this reference?

Are we saying the audience isn't intelligent enough to remember QOS so we'll swiftly brush over any retcon links to that film but they are intelligent enough to be expected to know the history of the British secret service?

This is something I also, and still do, find confusing.

Let’s be honest. The only reason Denbeigh is referred to as “C” throughout the story is to set-up M’s joke at the end. He’s literally only in the film to be a punchline to a joke that comes 2 hours after his introduction. It’s pretty bloody transparent, which is a shame because all Scott (who I presume is a fine actor) gets to do is have the same sulky conversation with Fiennes over and over again until their flaccid confrontation.

Isn’t “C” referred to as the Head of the Joint Intelligence Agency? Should he be “J”? I suppose the film wanted us to assume that the head of MI5 refer to their head as “C”. This has to be the case as Bond only refers to Denbeigh as “C”, even to Oberhauser (I when I first saw the film I thought it was just a private in-joke for the MI6 team).

Here’s a question: In SF, MI6 come under attack and their head is killed. Throughout the course of that film MI6’s relevance is constantly under fire and comes under heavy scrutiny. However, a new head is still appointed in Gareth Mallory. Then we come to SP, now we’re being told that MI6 is being dismantled and merged with MI5. We are also told that Denbeigh is leading the merger and is the Head of the Joint Intelligence Agency. So…..Where does Mallory fit in this re-shuffle? Once MI6 is put out of its misery, does he go? Was he only ever a caretaker leader? In the film is it established that C would take over from M, or were we supposed to believe that they would collaborate? Because once the 00-Programme is shut-down he is seemingly out of a job. Was Mallory only supposed to run the 00’s once the merger was complete?

In Spectre, is it just me going insane or can the Wilhelm scream be heard amongst the screaming crowd during the helicopter fight?
    In Spectre, is it just me going insane or can the Wilhelm scream be heard amongst the screaming crowd during the helicopter fight?

I believe it's in there somewhere.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited February 2016 Posts: 2,252
    Why and at what point does Bond get into a taxi while he's trying to catch the last light to Miami? He clearly zooms out in his Aston Martin at first then it cuts straight to the taxi.

Expensive airport parking?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    w2bond wrote: »
    Why and at what point does Bond get into a taxi while he's trying to catch the last light to Miami? He clearly zooms out in his Aston Martin at first then it cuts straight to the taxi.

Expensive airport parking?

Well the easiest answer I can think of is that when Bond zooms off in the Aston Martin for the airport he's in the Bahamas. And when we see him in the next shot in the taxi he's arrived in Miami and is tailing Dimitrios to the body world exhibit.
    They just didn't show the flight.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

This is something I also, and still do, find confusing.

Let’s be honest. The only reason Denbeigh is referred to as “C” throughout the story is to set-up M’s joke at the end. He’s literally only in the film to be a punchline to a joke that comes 2 hours after his introduction. It’s pretty bloody transparent, which is a shame because all Scott (who I presume is a fine actor) gets to do is have the same sulky conversation with Fiennes over and over again until their flaccid confrontation.

Isn’t “C” referred to as the Head of the Joint Intelligence Agency? Should he be “J”? I suppose the film wanted us to assume that the head of MI5 refer to their head as “C”. This has to be the case as Bond only refers to Denbeigh as “C”, even to Oberhauser (I when I first saw the film I thought it was just a private in-joke for the MI6 team).

Here’s a question: In SF, MI6 come under attack and their head is killed. Throughout the course of that film MI6’s relevance is constantly under fire and comes under heavy scrutiny. However, a new head is still appointed in Gareth Mallory. Then we come to SP, now we’re being told that MI6 is being dismantled and merged with MI5. We are also told that Denbeigh is leading the merger and is the Head of the Joint Intelligence Agency. So…..Where does Mallory fit in this re-shuffle? Once MI6 is put out of its misery, does he go? Was he only ever a caretaker leader? In the film is it established that C would take over from M, or were we supposed to believe that they would collaborate? Because once the 00-Programme is shut-down he is seemingly out of a job. Was Mallory only supposed to run the 00’s once the merger was complete?

Just to be clear, M is called as such because their last initials were M (Mansfield, Mallory, Messervy, etc. This was Fleming's nod to the Cummings "C"); in keeping with this tradition Scott's character would have been "D", but I agree he was called "C" to set up the joke for the end of the film.

To answer your question, I think you're right, Mallory was to head up the 00 Section, which was then going to be shut down by C, resulting in Mallory being gone completely.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    In Specter, when Bond and Madeline are at L'Americain, she gets a little tipsy and says that she sees two James'. Then she mumbles something in French, and the subtitles read, "To liars...to killers...". Is this a typo in the subtitles (" to" instead of "two"), or am I missing something?
  • RC7RC7
    In Specter, when Bond and Madeline are at L'Americain, she gets a little tipsy and says that she sees two James'. Then she mumbles something in French, and the subtitles read, "To liars...to killers...". Is this a typo in the subtitles (" to" instead of "two"), or am I missing something?

She means it in the sense of drinking 'to' something. Like you would drink 'to' good health.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    RC7 wrote: »

She means it in the sense of drinking 'to' something. Like you would drink 'to' good health.

Ahh. Thank you.
  • When I was watching SP I assumed C was a pun on the theme of surveillance.
    That is, Spectre's plot is to use Nine Eyes to 'C' everything.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    When I was watching SP I assumed C was a pun on the theme of surveillance.
    That is, Spectre's plot is to use Nine Eyes to 'C' everything.

lol, interesting theory, hadn't thought of that!
  • I have a question, but I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot posting it...

In TLD, in that scene where Bond is drugged by Kara, Bond hurriedly reveals to Kara before he passes out that he was the one who shot her, but didn't kill her. Kara says to him "why didn't you?" Bond takes out his gun and it looks to me like he is pointing it to the side of his head. He then goes weak and passes out as Necros and Koskov enter the room.

My question is "Did anyone else think that he intended suicide in that scene, or that it looked like it?"

I've has this question ever since the first time I saw the movie.

Sorry if I seem dumb asking this question or if I'm completely off base but I can't shake the feeling that that looked like something I'm not getting...
    I have a question, but I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot posting it...

In TLD, in that scene where Bond is drugged by Kara, Bond hurriedly reveals to Kara before he passes out that he was the one who shot her, but didn't kill her. Kara says to him "why didn't you?" Bond takes out his gun and it looks to me like he is pointing it to the side of his head. He then goes weak and passes out as Necros and Koskov enter the room.

My question is "Did anyone else think that he intended suicide in that scene, or that it looked like it?"

I've has this question ever since the first time I saw the movie.

Sorry if I seem dumb asking this question or if I'm completely off base but I can't shake the feeling that that looked like something I'm not getting...

Well first of all don't feel asking questions here is dumb. We're all here to learn something from each other.

No, I never thought Bond was about to shoot himself in that scene. I suppose that if I thought about it at all it was just his hand going limp as the drug in the drink caused him to pass out. I've not seen that particular scene for a while but that would be my take on it anyhow.