The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• You may be right @Dragonpol, but that was what I thought immediately upon seeing the scene. And of course I was confused.
    I wouldn't say that it was just his hand going limp from the drug since he clearly points the gun upwards and pretty much directly at his head, not down.

And I have found a link to the video:https://youtube.com/watch?v=TT6e2Jvvok8
  • RC7RC7
    I always assumed he was just drawing his weapon as Necros enters.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 562
    ^
    same here
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    That would be totally out of character.

Bond has no problem being killed in the course of completing his mission and if necessary would kill himself (see the end of MR the novel) but this would serve no purpose for the mission so it's just as he passes out his hand happens to point in that direction.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,806
    That would be totally out of character.

Bond has no problem being killed in the course of completing his mission and if necessary would kill himself (see the end of MR the novel) but this would serve no purpose for the mission so it's just as he passes out his hand happens to point in that direction.

Exactly what I think. You have to bear in mind that he was drugged and his vision is all over the place hence the gun close to his head. There was no intention to kill himself even though as the Wizard says he contemplates it briefly in the MR novel though that was a different situation where it was either him or London and even then ion the end he chooses a different solution to the problem of the Moonraker rocket.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The only time I remember that Bond had given up and was about to commit suicide was at the end of QOS.
    The only time I remember that Bond had given up and was about to commit suicide was at the end of QOS.

Yes, the fire scene and that was even like the end of the MR novel a bit too what with Gala told to go into the shower and turn the water on and then Bond would light up below the rocket thruster.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Why the hell couldn't we have gotten that on screen?

Better than "Baong on time!"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

And after Spectre.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Similarly, I suppose, to Moonraker, one of Bond's plans at the end of Live and Let Die (novel) was to first drown Solitaire, and then drown himself IIRC.

As for le Chiffre, he was found in Dachau in 1945 with apparently memory loss and damaged vocal chords. They never knew his name, so just gave him a number. He later used The Number in various languages as his cover name. Le Chiffre is of course the French variant.

I am talking about the book here of course, that story wasn t adopted in the film.

I know that. I was asking about the film specifically. We see that Le Chiffre watches French news as well, which I always found strange.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Well, it seems I'm literally the only one who thought Bond was going to kill himself in that scene.

Yes, it is totally out of character for him to do that. That's why it was so confusing for me. I couldn't understand why he was about to do that, but the way he drew his gun and the direction in which he pointed it, combined with the fact that I don't really think he was intending to use his gun as an offensive measure - I don't think he sees Necros until just before he passes out, and the weakened state he was in makes me doubt that he could have stood a chance anyway - made me think that he really was going to kill himself.

It might just be that I was younger and impressionable the first time I watched TLD and that thought stuck with me.
    Let s hope he kills himself in the next one, then.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Can someone explain to me the following in FRWL:

1. What exactly is M supposed to have said to Bond between walking from MP's office to his own that elicits the response 'But I've never even heard of a Tatiana Romanova?'
    He's only got time for one sentence which I presume would be 'Have you heard of someone called Tatiana Romanova 007?'
    But then who but a moron or a foreign student in an English class would answer by parroting what he just said?

2. In Tatiana's briefing with Klebb she gets given a picture of a man and is asked if she fancies him to which she replies 'perhaps if he was kulturny'. Then Klebb says 'From now on do everything he says.'
    Who the hell is this guy? Tania's handler? Does he work for SPECTRE too or the Russians? Why do we never see him and why is he never mentioned again?

3. What the hell is supposed to be going in the Siamese fighting fish scene? We hear Blofeld going on about how one crafty fish waits before it strikes but it has no choice because there's clearly a f**k off giant glass partition stopping him getting to the other two. I can never see three fish in the same compartment at any point so are the two we see fighting the winner and the crafty one and the loser has already been eaten when we first see into the tank?

4. Bond changes the date from the 14th to the 13th without telling Tania. How could he be so sure everything would work the same? She might have thought 'Well seeing as I'm not going to be coming back I might as well take a sicky on the 13th'. If you're going to go as far as blowing up the Russian embassy then wouldn't you want to be sure of everything? Not like if Tania happens to have gone for a long lunch on the 13th he could apologise, stick the clock back on the wall and come back tomorrow is it?

5. What is Grant's plan if Bond doesn't contact London and ask for back up? Is taking over Nash's persona just a convenient option? Was he just going to break in to the compartment and kill them if Nash hadnt appeared on the scene?
    And while we're at it where does he get Nash's business card from? I don't think Nash gives it to him and he's barely in the toilet long enough to kill him and nick his attache case let alone go through his pockets.
    I guess Nash just could be a cover he's devised for himself and the MI6 bloke he kills is called John Smith?

And people say SP's script is all over the place!
    2. The guy in the photo was Bond.

I always thought that but then why does she say 'From now on do everything he says?'

That doesn't really tally with what she thinks her mission is which is to feed false info to the enemy.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Well, it is. Granted, even the best Bond movies may have some contrivances/plot holes, but SPECTRE had too many.
    They don't really want her to do anything but screw him. The rest is out of her hands. The more subservient she is to Bond, the more he buys her story.

Hmm. Not convinced.

Would you use the words 'from now on' to describe someone she is days/weeks away from meeting? And she's in on what she thinks is the Russian 'plot' to misinform MI6 so her job is more to ensnare Bond than do whatever he tells her. The sentence strikes me as something you would say when referring to a superior she should take orders from to the patsy in their scheme.
    In addition there's nothing in the film to tell us that the picture is of Bond - we never see it. In the same scene in the book it's his photo but then Klebb never says this line.
    Walecs wrote: »

Well, it is. Granted, even the best Bond movies may have some contrivances/plot holes, but SPECTRE had too many.

That comment was said tongue in cheek!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This is either an issue with SP's script and it doesn't make sense at all, or it's something I've overlooked entirely: what does SPECTRE want with Swann? Her father is dead, she's been hidden for years, and she obviously has no ties with her father. Is she seen as a loose end who knows secrets or something, much like Lucia? Bond offers to protect her in exchange for finding Blofeld, but what the organization wants with her, I don't know.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,296
    I too have battled with this question, at a glance it involves her blood in the backseat so I think the best possible plan of attack would be that they were trying to install smartblood into her because they thought Mr White was still alive (just asleep) so that they could continue to track her and threaten her existence in an attempt to make Mr White friends with SPECTRE again. There is a lot to wonder about.
    @IGUANNA, but none of that is true. Syringe Heavy (or whatever his official "name" is) goes to give her something to knock her out, possibly kill her. Instead, she turns it on him and injects him with it, knocking him out or killing him, so what he has has nothing to do with smart blood. Hinx and the Spectre organization thought Mr. White was 'asleep'? I do hope you're having a go at me, because a bullet hole in your skull and birds pecking and eating your eyeballs out screams 'D.O.A, no chance of reviving' to me, not 'napping.'
    Ian Fleming Manouevre Creasy old son.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @IGUANNA, but none of that is true. Syringe Heavy (or whatever his official "name" is) goes to give her something to knock her out, possibly kill her. Instead, she turns it on him and injects him with it, knocking him out or killing him, so what he has has nothing to do with smart blood. Hinx and the Spectre organization thought Mr. White was 'asleep'? I do hope you're having a go at me, because a bullet hole in your skull and birds pecking and eating your eyeballs out screams 'D.O.A, no chance of reviving' to me, not 'napping.'

You've just reminded me, do you remember when Gustav was arguing the toss about the character's forename and surname actually being Syringe Heavy? Still makes me laugh.
    I didn't even notice the syringe was heavy with fluids, I think have to go watch the scene again, I forgot about the birds, if it werem't for them it's very possible Mr White faked his own death. We never saw the bullet hole.
    Ian Fleming Manouevre Creasy old son.

Too true.

@RC7, I do! That poor old boy.

@IGUANNA, there's no need to reply if you don't have something that even slightly resembles some form of explanation or answer. It was a legitimate question.
    Well there's clearly no good answer so I was being creative. But ok. :)
    Creasy47 wrote: »

@IGUANNA, there's no need to reply if you don't have something that even slightly resembles some form of explanation or answer. It was a legitimate question.

Fixed.
    Walecs wrote: »

I'd be interested in somebody pointing out what the actual plot was. Then I can focus on the holes.

The main plot was the Nine Eyes.
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Well there's clearly no good answer so I was being creative. But ok. :)

There's clearly no good answer from you anyhow. I think you must have seen a different cut of the film. :O)
    Why does Hinx want to kill Bond?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Why does Hinx want to kill Bond?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it could be after Bond infiltrated the Spectre meeting in Rome.
    Surely this was perfectly obvious from watching the movie. If you want members to take you seriously then it would help if you didn't ask such obvious questions.