Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Agreed on 'Under Siege 2,' @DarthDimi, though I enjoy the first one a little bit more. Thankfully, both end with some brutal and thrilling knife fights.

Yep, i've always enjoyed Under Siege 2. Its one of those action films you can watch every now and then, without tiring of it.

Spirited Away (2001); watching this on Blu-Ray is truly a treat. I've already expressed myself as a big Miyazaki fan, and this is his ultimate masterpiece for me. At least a Top 50 film of all time for me (not sure exactly where it would place though). Everyone should experience it at least once.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @quantumofsolace, I'm curious as to how you would've managed to film the bear scene in 'The Revenant' with a real, live bear. I'm fine with CGI for situations that prove impossible otherwise, and on top of that, I thought the CG for the bear was rather well done. .

Well, If Leo was truly committed to his art....

Birdleson wrote: »
    Tonight, my friend and I decided to take a break from our ongoing journey through Rod Serling's work that we have embarked on (we meet almost every Wednesday and spend about a year on a given theme; in the past we've done Bond, Kubrick, westerns, Chandler, now Serling, next Truffaut), to watch Spike Lee's newest film, CHI-RAQ. We are both fans of Lee's early work, not so much the later, but heard good stuff about this one from reliable sources. Man, what a piece of shit. We aborted after about a half an hour and returned to Serling with 1968's PLANET OF THE APES (Serling wrote the initial draft, which is the bulk of the movie). I've seen it well over a dozen times (like the early Bond films, my first exposure was at the drive-in) and I never get sick of it. A wonderful, rich and riveting film. An absolute masterpiece.

Hmm, glad i decided not to watch Chiraq then.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I watched Chiraq about a week ago but then again I watched it for very different reasons. The premise of their resolve was bs though and could never ever work.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 12,257
    Dial M for Murder (1954). Solid Hitchcock picture; I didn't enjoy it quite as highly as Strangers on a Train, but I'm still very glad I watched it.
    Tony getting himself a final drink was classic.
    It was also cool how Professor Dent (Anthony Dawson) made an appearance. This was a good one.
    STRANGERS ON A TRAIN is definitely the superior of the two. In fact "Dent's" death (he's good at that) is the only memorable scene in the other.

He doesn't seem to have much luck with assassinations, does he? :)) Yes I enjoyed both films but Strangers on a Train had a bigger impact on me. Part of the problem I had with Dial M for Murder was that I couldn't root for one side that much. Strangers on a Train is potentially as high as my third favorite Hitchcock picture; very entertaining and thrilling.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    @quantumofsolace, I'm curious as to how you would've managed to film the bear scene in 'The Revenant' with a real, live bear. I'm fine with CGI for situations that prove impossible otherwise, and on top of that, I thought the CG for the bear was rather well done. Also, 'The Hateful Eight' is technically a 2015 film. Happy to hear you seem to have loved it as much as I did! I was very impressed with it and couldn't stop thinking about it and replaying scenes in my head after I first saw it.

Well, they could have gone the actual live bear route - Leo would have been a shoe-in for a posthumous Oscar! No, I'd have preferred an old-school approach: trained real bear with stuntman, plus close-up's of the star battling an anamatronic bruin and the whole carefully shot and edited in a less-is-more style.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @quantumofsolace, I'm curious as to how you would've managed to film the bear scene in 'The Revenant' with a real, live bear. I'm fine with CGI for situations that prove impossible otherwise, and on top of that, I thought the CG for the bear was rather well done. Also, 'The Hateful Eight' is technically a 2015 film. Happy to hear you seem to have loved it as much as I did! I was very impressed with it and couldn't stop thinking about it and replaying scenes in my head after I first saw it.

Well, they could have gone the actual live bear route - Leo would have been a shoe-in for a posthumous Oscar! No, I'd have preferred an old-school approach: trained real bear with stuntman, plus close-up's of the star battling an anamatronic bruin and the whole carefully shot and edited in a less-is-more style.

This is too true! I could've seen this working, as well, but still, there's truly no telling what those real bears will do, and it'd be very dangerous trying to work with one for a scene like that while being in a tight-knit setting in hopes of the bear not going berserk and ripping off some faces.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I remember the similar bear scene in The Edge being really good, and I think that was done the old school way. However, I didn't notice the CGI in The Revenant bear scene at all. I knew it must be CGI, but it was very well done imho.
    Anyone see The Big Short? Saw it yesterday. superb IMHO, sharp, witty, clever, mind blowing cast, Steve Carell standing out for me but no real weaknesses,
    need to see it again
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dial M For Murder is a good film, but it's the kind of film that you'd feel it's either adapted from a prose story that's between a short story and a novella. Not too much enthusiasm, nor completely subjectless.
    21 Grams (2003)

Ok/good. Felt like just another drama movie though, beside the scenes being shown out of order. Solid acting from Watts, Del Toro and Penn.

Traffic (2000)

Liked it, once again a very good performance from Del Toro.

The Lookout (2007)

Cool little bank robbery movie.

Munich (2005)

Very good, really liked how they disposed of one guy after the other. My only little gripe with the film is that it was a little long.

Primal Fear (1996)

Was expecting a little bit more. The twist at the end was nothing special. It was OK

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2016 Posts: 45,489

This is too true! I could've seen this working, as well, but still, there's truly no telling what those real bears will do, and it'd be very dangerous trying to work with one for a scene like that while being in a tight-knit setting in hopes of the bear not going berserk and ripping off some faces.

They should have cast Tom Cruise instead of DiCaprio.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,081
    @bondjames, thanks for The Big Short review. It's one of the movies I've been waiting for the most, one of 3 where I actually followed the production, and one that has caused me to do more research than any other movie, ever. Just last night I watched this discussion hosted by Economic Studies at Brooking and I have stuff lined up to read. (Obviously I already read the book. And loved it.) Anyway, if the release schedule I saw earlier is correct the movie opens pretty much everywhere (except Japan) before it opens here. Just my luck. Anyway... Glad you liked it.

I liked Margin Call. Haven't seen Too Big To Fail. Saw Inside Job and it was very good and truly scary - have you seen it? If not I recommend it.

I thought you and some others might find it interesting what Paul Krugman said about The Big Short in December:
    (For anyone who doesn't know he is - among other things - a Nobel prize winning economist.)
    While the movie gets the essentials of the financial crisis right, the true story of what happened is deeply inconvenient to some very rich and powerful people. They and their intellectual hired guns have therefore spent years disseminating an alternative view that the money manager and blogger Barry Ritholtz calls the Big Lie. It’s a view that places all the blame for the financial crisis on — you guessed it — too much government, especially government-sponsored agencies supposedly pushing too many loans on the poor.

Never mind that the supposed evidence for this view has been thoroughly debunked, or that before the crisis some of these same hired guns attacked those agencies not for lending too much to the poor, but for not lending enough. If the historical record runs counter to what powerful interests want you to believe, well, history will just have to be rewritten. And constant repetition, especially in captive media, keeps this imaginary history in circulation no matter how often it is shown to be false.

Sure enough, “The Big Short” has already been the subject of vitriolic attacks in Murdoch-controlled newspapers; if the movie is a commercial success and/or wins awards, expect to see much more.

The thing to remember, when you see such attacks, is why they’re taking place. The truth is that the people who made “The Big Short” should consider the attacks a kind of compliment: The attackers obviously worry that the film is entertaining enough that it will expose a large audience to the truth. Let’s hope that their fears are justified.
    nytimes.com/2015/12/18/opinion/the-big-short-housing-bubbles-and-retold-lies.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1

patb wrote: »
    Anyone see The Big Short? Saw it yesterday. superb IMHO, sharp, witty, clever, mind blowing cast, Steve Carell standing out for me but no real weaknesses,
    need to see it again

I wish... I already know I'll see it at least twice in theatre. And buy it.

They should have cast Tom Cruise instead of DiCaprio.

:))

Seeing that one tomorrow. Planning to fit in Spotlight on Saturday... (both open here tomorrow, so...)

And then stay up all night I suppose, with the SAG awards. Ehem.

Went to see a Mystery screening today - in other words I had no idea what the movie was. There are so many movies that I want to see now that I figured there was a pretty good chance it would be something I wanted to see anyway. The length was said to be 2 hours, which saddened me somewhat, since it meant no The Big Short, but still... I was sitting there thinking "please be something I want to see anyway" - I didn't want to walk out in a few mins, which was always an option, too... The first "clue" to appear on the screen when it began was "Todd Haynes" - THANK YOU! I knew what that meant, phew, didn't need to walk out. :) So:
    Carol
    A good cast in general, and I really liked the co-leads (despite the not uncommon category fraud the studio pushed to market Mara as "supporting"), Cate Blachett and Rooney Mara. (Not that I remember if I've ever seen them in anything where I didn't like them.) A good movie, slow-moving and pretty.

I think I forgot from my last list:
    Lincoln
    Finally got around to watching this. I always assumed I was unlikely to like it and I was correct. Boring. Anyway, now I can scratch that from the list... (only on it because of DDL, really).

And continuing to get to know Steve Carell's work:
    Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2
    I had some issues with both of these, and I didn't think they were great, but there was lovely, inventive stuff there, too, and Gru's minions did make me laugh.

and
    Little Miss Sunshine
    This was wonderful. Glad I finally saw it. A great cast, an unusual story, lots of fun.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks for letting me know about Inside Job @Tuulia. That's one I hadn't heard of, and I'll be sure to check it out.

RE: The Big Short: I have to admit a slight tinge of responsibility (no matter how minor & insignificant) for this financial crisis debacle. As mentioned earlier, I used to work for an Audit firm that was involved in auditing these instruments. Sadly, I could tell that we weren't really all that well versed with the risks in the product and that my superiors made certain assumptions about their safety, similar to those who created it and those who sold it. Like the rating agencies that are humiliated in the film, the auditors also should have been more vigilant in their oversight duties.

Additionally, the government regulators were also completely outclassed by the normally younger, smarter, significantly more well paid and more inventive mathematical PhDs who came up with these exotic instruments. Furthermore, many of these products were too complex to properly 'stress test', particularly the systemic risk element to the entire systm.

Government certainly had some responsibility for deregulating an industry which should always be kept tightly in check (just because of the sheer audacity of their entrepreneurial and animal spirits), but the bankers, the regulators, the auditors and the ratings agencies were all also to blame, as were the homeowners who shouldn't have taken out mortgages well beyond their means without understanding that ARMs are bad news when rates reset.

We haven't fully learnt from this yet. The SEC is still asleep at the wheel."Greed is good" as the saying goes, apparently.
    Very interesting post, thanks
    I have ordered the book to try and gain a better understanding as obviously the movie can only scrape the surface.
    @bondjames, just to clarify, Inside Job (2010) is a documentary - it won Oscar for Best Documentary Feature 5 years ago, but the stuff is certainly still relevant.

I suppose as long as politicians and law-makers are on Wall Street payroll (and a lot of the media, for that matter) there will never be significant changes made to get proper regulation in place again. It's sort of depressing.

@patb, I think you'll like the book.
    One of the great things about movies is that they can entertain and educate at the same time. And leave you wanting to know more about a person, topic or period in history. There are many movies that have inspired me to go off and read a few books on the topic and that can never be a bad thing.
    Rebecca (1940). This was fantastic; certainly one of Hitchcock's greatest achievements. Well-acted, great story, totally gripping. I loved it.
    REBECCA certainly deserves to be in the Hitchcock upper echelon. His most poetic work. It was Hitch's first production for an American studio.

It was very good; definite Top 5 for me - North by Northwest will have to move down a bit I think. Which Hitchcock films do you like most after Vertigo?
  • RC7RC7
    The long Good Friday - a beautiful slice of early 80's British cinema.
    15 minutes into IT FOLLOWS and I'm about to abandon ship. What pretentious, dull, cliched crap. Adding further fuel to my position that there hasn't been an actual scary horror film made since HALLOWEEN (or ALIEN, if you count that as horror, and I guess that I do).

I have been tempted on a few occasions on whether to watch the 'It follows' film, but somehow i thought it wouldn't be worth it, and after reading your post, i may be right.

I agree, in what you say there hasn't really been a decent scary film since the days of Alien and Halloween.

I last night decided to watch Die Hard 5, as that was the only Die Hard film i hadn't seen, and many have said the film is awful......and they weren't kidding, it was truly dreadful, and to be honest it really wasn't a Die Hard film as we know it. It was as if the film were Die Hard in name only, and Bruce Willis's character as John McLane was more of a sidekick than the lead.
    Film had no chemistry between McLane and his son, no real standout villain, film was filmed with dark colourless filters in the camerawork, shaky cam which made some of the action hard to follow, little humour in the film, naff plot what there was of it.

To sum up i have seen far better straight to DVD action films than this Die Hard film, in fact after watching this it makes you realise that Die Hard 4, was actually a pretty good film (though excess of CGI did make some of the action silly).

bondjames wrote: »
    I remember the similar bear scene in The Edge being really good, and I think that was done the old school way. However, I didn't notice the CGI in The Revenant bear scene at all. I knew it must be CGI, but it was very well done imho.
    You might be interested to know that another version of this story was released in 1971 with Richard Harris called Man in the Wilderness, also starring John Huston. The character Harris portrays was, in reality, Hugh Glass although for reasons that are unclear, the name "Sam Bass" is used in this movie. Other than that, it's pretty much the same movie.
    15 minutes into IT FOLLOWS and I'm about to abandon ship. What pretentious, dull, cliched crap. Adding further fuel to my position that there hasn't been an actual scary horror film made since HALLOWEEN (or ALIEN, if you count that as horror, and I guess that I do).

I thought it was ok. And about your statement I thought that The Conjuring was pretty scary. Also heard that Sinister, Insidious and The Descent is pretty scary, but as I am not really that big of a horror guy anymore, I haven't seen those myself.

I found 'It Follows' to be a snoozefest, and unworthy of that insane, overrated hype that preceded it. It's why I'm done listening to any opinions on horror films, because I know what does and doesn't scare me. Same with 'The Conjuring,' it did nothing for me.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098

I thought it was ok. And about your statement I thought that The Conjuring was pretty scary. Also heard that Sinister, Insidious and The Descent is pretty scary, but as I am not really that big of a horror guy anymore, I haven't seen those myself.

You've got to see 'The Descent' (2005) amazing horror film.
    It's one of those little films that comes along every now and then, and takes everyone by surprise.
    The film starts off as a pot-holing experience for a bunch of young women, and is just as this, an interesting, tense, claustophobic experience, but in the 2nd half of the film, all hell breaks loose when we meet those cannibilistic creatures.
    Can you imagine being lost deep underground in the dark, with just your helmet torch light on, then separated from your friends, and being pursued by flesh eating mutant humanoids. Bloody terrifying eh?
    I've done some dangerous sports in my life, but i will never ever go pot-holing! Particularly after watching that film.

@mepal1, in terms of making me jump, that's the scariest movie I've ever seen. Totally blew me away and kept me wondering what was in the dark for a week or so after.
    @mepal1, in terms of making me jump, that's the scariest movie I've ever seen. Totally blew me away and kept me wondering what was in the dark for a week or so after.

Very true, what makes it so good is that the creatures are not CGI created, but real people who trained to walk and crawl like those monsters.
    It was Neil Marshall who directed this film, who also made the other classic British horror film 'Dog Soldiers', and that is worth a watch as well.

Neil Marshall is quite an underrated man when it comes to horror, that's for sure.

@Birdleson, while there are definitely varying types of horror, a 14-year-old me seeing 'The Descent' in a pitch black theater at midnight with three friends and absolutely nobody else occupying the theater was given a horror experience that'll never be replicated for me. I enjoy a good jump scare if it's handled and timed well, but in this day and age, jump scares tend to fall more on the generic and predictable side. Now, movies like 'Halloween' or 'The Shining,' the psychological types of horror movies where the scariest part is knowing something is happening but not seeing it? That's the best kind of horror. 'Halloween' never grows old to me, it's my favorite horror movie. I still get crazy chills when Laurie is crying over the death of all of her friends at the top of the stairs, and Michael's face slowwwwwwly lights up and comes into frame in the darkness behind her.