Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @SaintMark

I'm so glad you like BlackHat. I think it's a beautifully shot movie. Isn't this where Mann always excels?

It is very well shot and I actually liked the story too, not afraid to ask a wee bit more mental exercise that the average movie gives us these days.

Exactly. I like the acting too. But I'm biased. I love almost everything Michael Mann makes it would seem.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Blackhat is one of my favorites movies of 2015.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Watched The Revenant last night. Excellent film as a lot of others have said. Beautifully photographed and VERY intense. Ol' Leo was on great form.
    The Emperor's New Groove (2000); I've seen this a ton of times, and it never stops being hilarious. Plenty of great humor for kids and adults.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Poltergeist (2015) - Not much I can say really, didn't enjoy it, thought it to be a load of old tosh. Going to have to watch the original to get this out of my mind.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,270
    Just finished Blade Runner (1982). I have to be completely honest; for the first half of the film, my feelings were pretty neutral toward it. Not bad, not great. But something about the second half just totally hooked me, especially the amazing climax with Deckard and Roy; Roy's monologue was really great. Of course through the whole film, the setting and action were big highlights. Harrison Ford was the best part overall though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched John Wick last night and really enjoyed it. A fantastic
    Action movie, with some brilliant Shooting and fighting sequences.
    I love Blade Runner and obviously I prefer Rutger Hauers part easily over the part of Harrison Ford.

Alien - what an amazing movie and as a scifi thriller en horror movie not very often bettered.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

This film has gotten a lot of criticism when compared to the other 2 films in the trilogy, but I really enjoy the film. Right from the start with that epic plane sequence I am in the mood for almost 3 hours of fantastic stuff. Bane is a great villain, really nasty and scary. There's plenty of stuff going on in the film, almost too much going on as some subplots are over very quickly. Not the best soundtrack from Zimmer but I find it quite enjoyable. The only gripe I have with this film comes from the 2 main female characters played by Cotillard and Hathaway - I didn't care for them at all and they were annoying in a few scenes. All in all, this last installment in the trilogy is more mindless entertainment than the previous 2 outings, but it is more epic in scope, so it balances it out.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    15 minutes into IT FOLLOWS and I'm about to abandon ship. What pretentious, dull, cliched crap. Adding further fuel to my position that there hasn't been an actual scary horror film made since HALLOWEEN (or ALIEN, if you count that as horror, and I guess that I do).

I have been tempted on a few occasions on whether to watch the 'It follows' film, but somehow i thought it wouldn't be worth it, and after reading your post, i may be right.

I agree, in what you say there hasn't really been a decent scary film since the days of Alien and Halloween.

I last night decided to watch Die Hard 5, as that was the only Die Hard film i hadn't seen, and many have said the film is awful......and they weren't kidding, it was truly dreadful, and to be honest it really wasn't a Die Hard film as we know it. It was as if the film were Die Hard in name only, and Bruce Willis's character as John McLane was more of a sidekick than the lead.
    Film had no chemistry between McLane and his son, no real standout villain, film was filmed with dark colourless filters in the camerawork, shaky cam which made some of the action hard to follow, little humour in the film, naff plot what there was of it.

To sum up i have seen far better straight to DVD action films than this Die Hard film, in fact after watching this it makes you realise that Die Hard 4, was actually a pretty good film (though excess of CGI did make some of the action silly).

I loved Die Hard 4 when it came out but I am interestingly seeing more and more people realize Die hard 4 isn't that bad is it Die hard with a Vengence no but it's way better then A good Day to Die hard.

in Fact I would argue A Good Day to Die hard could of been a fairly decent film if they had a better script kept the villian the same throughout the film and given Mclane some cooler things to do and hired an actor instead of a block of wood to play Mclane's son the film could of been good.

sigh at least we have 1-4
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Only Die Hard films worth the watch are 1 and 3.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Re-watched 'School of Rock' last night for the thousandth time. It's always enjoyable.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 7,653
    The Shadow [1994] - I really love this version of Mulcahy, whose Highlander I do rate as well, it is perhaps closer to the radioshow/comic/magazines than any previous outing on celluloid. The other one I like is Columbia's 9th serial by the same name.
    Every time I watch this movie I am struck by how much the iconic Nolan Batman has ripped this movie of in his first attempt BB.
    Then again it is a matter of historical fact that so much from the early comic Batman has been "borrowed" from the Shadow, coming close to plagiarism, so why would Nolan be any better.
    This movie has everything, great music, setting, action, famous faces, good story and the "superhero" that was there first. Too bad there were not more Shadow movies with Baldwin.
    It is about time that Sam Raimi finally came with his take on the Shadow saga, his previous attempt was a poor rip off. But now he has got the rights.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Shadow, is a fantastic movie. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not forgetting the often screwball-esque dialogue. My favourite exchange of dialogue being:

Lamont: "Good morning."
    Margot: "Good morning. Oh, god, I dreamed."
    Lamont: "So did I. What did you dream?"
    Margo: "I was lying naked on a beach in the south seas. The tide was coming up over my toes. The sun was beating down. My skin was... hot and cool at the same time. It was wonderful. What was yours?"
    Lamont: "I dreamed I tore all the skin off my face and was somebody else underneath."
    Marot: "You have problems."
    Lamont: "I'm aware of that."

Yes, I love the 1994 Shadow film. And I don't mean that in a cheesy or so bad it's good way, I just love it. It is my favourite comic book/superhero film.
    Not forgetting the often screwball-esque dialogue. My favourite exchange of dialogue being:

Margo: "I was lying naked on a beach in the south seas. The tide was coming up over my toes. The sun was beating down. My skin was... hot and cool at the same time. It was wonderful. What was yours?"
    Lamont: "I dreamed I tore all the skin off my face and was somebody else underneath."

Yes, I love the 1994 Shadow film. And I don't mean that in a cheesy or so bad it's good way, I just love it. It is my favourite comic book/superhero film.

I loved the line about being mentally rather endowed. I love this one as well more than any other comic book/superhero movie.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »

I loved the line about being mentally rather endowed. I love this one as well more than any other comic book/superhero movie.

That was another good line, followed by Margot's "I bet you are." The Shadow had a sly sense of humor, it stayed on the tasteful side of innuendo.

While waiting for the next movie I will have to help myself with the Dynamite comics and the monthly Shadow magazine.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Three Musketeers (1973)
    What a hugely entertaining movie! Lester at his finest.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,043
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Neil Marshall is quite an underrated man when it comes to horror, that's for sure.

@Birdleson, while there are definitely varying types of horror, a 14-year-old me seeing 'The Descent' in a pitch black theater at midnight with three friends and absolutely nobody else occupying the theater was given a horror experience that'll never be replicated for me. I enjoy a good jump scare if it's handled and timed well, but in this day and age, jump scares tend to fall more on the generic and predictable side. Now, movies like 'Halloween' or 'The Shining,' the psychological types of horror movies where the scariest part is knowing something is happening but not seeing it? That's the best kind of horror. 'Halloween' never grows old to me, it's my favorite horror movie. I still get crazy chills when Laurie is crying over the death of all of her friends at the top of the stairs, and Michael's face slowwwwwwly lights up and comes into frame in the darkness behind her.

My experience of The Descent was similar, it was actually in the day time I caught it but I had the whole cinema to myself, that film will never give me the same experience again.

Definitely Marshall's best film although I do have a soft spot for Dog Soldiers, after that he's gone off the boil save some TV work he's done of recent.
    I'd say I got seven or eight minutes in before shutting off 'Hitman: Agent 47.' Yet another 'Hitman' movie that doesn't understand how the installment should work, and if you're injecting CG into roughly 75% of your action scenes, then I can see the rest of your movie will be as lazy as possible and a complete waste of time. Embarrassing.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'd say I got seven or eight minutes in before shutting off 'Hitman: Agent 47.' Yet another 'Hitman' movie that doesn't understand how the installment should work, and if you're injecting CG into roughly 75% of your action scenes, then I can see the rest of your movie will be as lazy as possible and a complete waste of time. Embarrassing.

Im glad I skipped it then. I wasn't too impressed with the first one, but I did enjoy Timothy Olyphant's take on 47.
    I knew it was going to be trash, but I'm a very big fan of the video game series, so giving it a chance was inevitable. Don't bother, it's nothing but a waste of time.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    There's a few video game adaptions that I would like to see. The problem is that the ones they have done have been trash...

Doom
    Max Payne
    Hitman

Even the Resident Evil films aren't spectacular. They are basically just B-grade zombie films.

With that being said I would love to see an adaptation of Bioshock, with Kevin Spacey playing the Andrew Ryan role and I honestly think Fallout would work great. The only thing we have seen similar to Fallout was "The Book of Eli." I have recently imagined a scene in which the wastelander is knocked out and we see him wake up and see a glimpse of brightness only to see a deathclaw hovering over him.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Had forgotten about it, but I saw that in the cinema when it came out. Was just a little kid back then.
    The only game-to-film adaptation I've seen that I thought was pretty well executed was the one for 'Silent Hill,' and that's been it. Everything else has had a bad B-grade curse to it, though I'm hoping 'Assassin's Creed' changes things up, because it does have a solid cast behind it and could turn out to be something pretty enjoyable. As for 'Bioshock,' that ship has sailed, sadly. They really should've capitalized on a proper film adaptation for that as soon as the first game was out and critically hailed by everyone.
    The only game-to-film adaptation I've seen that I thought was pretty well executed was the one for 'Silent Hill,' and that's been it. Everything else has had a bad B-grade curse to it, though I'm hoping 'Assassin's Creed' changes things up, because it does have a solid cast behind it and could turn out to be something pretty enjoyable. As for 'Bioshock,' that ship has sailed, sadly. They really should've capitalized on a proper film adaptation for that as soon as the first game was out and critically hailed by everyone.

They had it in the works for years to have it developed. I think Gore Verbinski was supposed to direct as well. But like you said it has sailed. 2010-2011 should have had it if it were to happen.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Had forgotten about it, but I saw that in the cinema when it came out. Was just a little kid back then.
    We're gonna watch The Four Musketeers next... it's a bit more serious as I remember.
    I saw that, too! Thanks for the reminder.
    I saw that, too! Thanks for the reminder.
    The screenplays were by George McDonald Fraser- the guy who wrote Octopussy.