Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes (2009). This film is actually a personal favorite of mine. I got to see it in the theater in 2010, a month or so after it released. It's extremely entertaining and fun; the chemistry between Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law is simply priceless.

The chemistry alone is why I'm dying for a third one.

I know me too. The second was also really good, but I think I like the first one best. Those films are just so much fun; let's hope a third arrives soon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes (2009). This film is actually a personal favorite of mine. I got to see it in the theater in 2010, a month or so after it released. It's extremely entertaining and fun; the chemistry between Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law is simply priceless.

The chemistry alone is why I'm dying for a third one.

I know me too. The second was also really good, but I think I like the first one best. Those films are just so much fun; let's hope a third arrives soon.

I loathed the sequel when I first saw it in theaters, bought it for dirt cheap the day it came out because I wanted to give it another chance, and then I fell in love with it. Very worthy sequel, the chemistry is still there, the expanded plot and locales were very nice, and I loved the cast, particularly Harris, Rapace, and Anderson.
    @Creasy, ah, I see. I hate when that happens - sometimes because a movie never comes to my local theatre (that happened, for instance, with Nebraska... the trailer yes, the movie never, gaah... saw it later on dvd. Now I'm suspecting for instance Macbeth may never arrive here.) Sometimes they come and go so quickly that I just miss them if I can't go right away for whatever reason. Sucks. I love seeing movies in theatre whenever possible. (8 so far this year, and it would be more if more of those that I'm looking forward to would only get here...)
    What were your thoughts on 'Nebraska,' @Tuulia? That's how it always goes for me: the local cinemas get a few of the same blockbusters, maybe a random indie release here and there, and most of the movies I'm itching to see never play even close to where I live, so I bide my time until they're finally released digitally (just like the case for 'Steve Jobs' and 'Spotlight': wanted to see them, they're finally available on Vudu, so I now get to watch them after all this time.)

Eight films already in theaters this year? Congratulations! I've caught two or three myself, missed a few I wanted to see (more), and the next one I'm dying to catch in cinemas is 'Hail, Caesar!'.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,081
    @Creasy47, I loved Nebraska. :) An interesting, unusual story, great acting, both fun and touching. You?

Spotlight just opened here last Friday - I went to see it on Saturday, since I needed to see The Revenant first. :P Steve Jobs opened just a couple of weeks ago as well... haven't seen it, not really planning to atm. Considering 45 Years. Unsure about The Danish Girl - Vikander is expected to get the Oscar on top of the other awards for it... how the hell did that happen, I wonder... Most people seem to think the movie is baaad though, so I don't know if I want to spend money on it. Counting days for The Big Short (16 now... sigh... not as bad as a few weeks ago, but still... geez...), hoping for Brooklyn to at least get a release date, dammit (Saoirse is just one of the adorable actors), looking forward to Room, planning on seeing The Revenant again, it was so beauuutiful, and... Hail, Caesar! should arrive in about a month, and I do want to see it. And other stuff not yet on the release schedule...
    edited February 2016 Posts: 40,490
    I felt the same way! The black and white was a nice touch and the father/son dynamic was touching and realistic. I didn't care for 'The Danish Girl,' personally, so I don't recommend it. Yes, 'The Revenant' is simply beautiful and definitely worth seeing in theaters for anyone who has yet to. The cinematography and scope of it is breathtaking.

Watched 'Steve Jobs' for the first time earlier day, and wow, what a terrific film that was. The script had me hooked from the beginning, and I think Fassbender was wonderful in the role. Just finished up 'Mad Max: Fury Road' for the umpteenth time, as well. One of my favorites!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,691
    Continuing my early Steven Seagal mini-marathon... Under Siege was pretty damn good.
    Tommy Lee Jones rocked. Erika Eleniak was simply gorgeous. The action was great.

1-Under Siege
    2-Marked For Death
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Marked for I'd rather put my head in boiling oil than watch.
    You are no fun. Seagal's early works are required viewing by martial arts fans, and those that love OTT violence & mayhem.
    :))
    Aikido ain't that simple, dude. The plots, well, that's where you have to give some leeway... 8-}
    Chinatown (1974). Great film; bonus points for Mr. Wint.
    Chinatown (1974). Great film; bonus points for Mr. Wint.

One of the greats, no doubt. Absolutely an immaculate film.

I'll be adding it to my collection. It's simply a must-see for anyone who likes movies.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,271
    Another great Polanski is ROSEMARY'S BABY. I'd also recommend his MACBETH and THE GHOST WRITER (with Pierce!).

I'll put those on my to-watch list. As you've figured by now I need to catch up on a lot of older classics. I wasn't a serious movie watcher for a while unfortunately, so that was some lost years. But I'll catch up.
    The Pink Panther [1964] - Another great franchise (the Sellers era that is) with very funny lines a strong script and recognizable music. Never fails to amuse me.
    Another great Polanski is ROSEMARY'S BABY. I'd also recommend his MACBETH and THE GHOST WRITER (with Pierce!).

I'll put those on my to-watch list. As you've figured by now I need to catch up on a lot of older classics. I wasn't a serious movie watcher for a while unfortunately, so that was some lost years. But I'll catch up.

I started about 3 years ago. And now i would say i finally have seen all the biggest classics. Just watching some rests now.

What do you guys think of:

Kelly's Heroes (1970)
    The Dirty Dozen (1967)
    The Guns of Navarone (1961)
    A Bridge Too Far (1977)
    The Longest Day (1962)

edited February 2016 Posts: 40,490

Yes, yes, and yes. 'Macbeth' blew me away when I watched it last year, what an (even) darker re-telling of Shakespeare's classic. 'Rosemary's Baby' was also very impressive in that no scene in the movie was pointless, and every little thing had a hand in helping build up to that wild ending.

'Burnt'

Took me a while to get around to seeing this, but I finally did last night, and was left on the fence about it. On one hand, the movie perfectly captures the feel and the attitude of a busy kitchen on an even busier night, so that's good, but the acting and plot leave a lot more to be desired. Cooper doesn't really feel like a man who knows food, who wants to create perfection on a plate. From where the movie picks up to where it ends, the plot is pretty thin and you aren't given a clear look at what happened and what's going to happen, it just throws you in the middle of things and hopes you enjoy following the tale of Cooper's character. So, while it was enjoyable seeing them replicate the look of a hectic restaurant, and the movie offered a beautiful look at food and what a chef goes through to prep his restaurant, the rest was rather lacking and befuddled.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Die Hard 1&2, working my way through all the Die Hards. :)
    Kelly's Heroes (1970) Clint and Sutherland senior in an amusing war comedy.
    The Dirty Dozen (1967) And excellent war drama and actioner
    The Guns of Navarone (1961) together with "Where Eagles dare" the best war action movie ever.
    A Bridge Too Far (1977) An alright attempt to show the bloody stupidity of this particular plan to free the Netherlands
    The Longest Day (1962) A classic that shows the size and madness of D-Day. Great cast too.
    The Sting (1973); not bad, but honestly wasn't my cup of tea overall. I won't have a chance until next week, but I plan on seeing the acclaimed Lawrence of Arabia (1962). Is it as amazing as they all say?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    What do you guys think of:

Kelly's Heroes (1970)
    The Dirty Dozen (1967)
    The Guns of Navarone (1961)
    A Bridge Too Far (1977)
    The Longest Day (1962)

Just watched that again last Sunday - was in the mood for some WWII, toss-up between that and The Big Red One.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,271
    The Sting (1973); not bad, but honestly wasn't my cup of tea overall. I won't have a chance until next week, but I plan on seeing the acclaimed Lawrence of Arabia (1962). Is it as amazing as they all say?

If you don't have a large screen TV, I'd wait to see LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at a theatre the next time it is screened near you (if you don't live near a major city that has revival theaters that may not be practical). Yes, it is worth it.

I'm surprised you didn't like THE STING. I thought that was a film just about anyone would love. Great script, great direction by Hill and a superb cast.

It is weird isn't it? And I agree - it did have a good script, direction, and acting. For some reason it just didn't grip me all that much. Maybe I wasn't in the right mindset? I have no clue.
    Agent 47: Fun shoot'em up, not much story but some great fight sequences.
    Agent 47: Fun shoot'em up, not much story but some great fight sequences.

You say "great," I say "appalling" or "abysmal" or "horrid." From what I saw, each scene was packed with so much unnecessary CG, a dull by-the-numbers shoot-'em-up. If you want "great" fight sequences, go watch 'The Raid 2' or 'John Wick.'
    Yes, I have seen them too, It kept me amused for 90 minutes. ;)
    'Sunshine'

Heard a lot of talk about how underrated this was, so I decided to give it a watch. It was definitely interesting from the get-go, but around halfway in, everything seemed so familiar and I realized that I had seen it a very, very long time ago. However, I only seem to remember the twist and a bit of what happens after, so the entire buildup and the finale were unexpected, even after that realization. I loved the cast, I'm a big fan of space thrillers like this, I thought the plot was unique enough, touching upon quite a few different genres, and what a beautiful movie this is, given how rather small the budget was for something involving space/space travel.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Reading @Creasy47's earlier post in this thread made me do a double feature of 'The Raid 2' and 'John Wick'.

Absolutely mind-boggingly awesome. The body count of both films is sky high. Iko Uwais as Rama and Keanu Reeves as Wick are 2 of the most badass action characters created in the last decade. Highlights: Mud prison fight, car chase+fight, nightclub fight, baseball bat + hammer girl fight and kitchen fight (The Raid 2), house attack, night club shootout, church raid and final shootout (John Wick).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Continuing with revenge flicks...

'Man on Fire' and 'Taken'.

Fantastic stuff - Denzel as Creasy and Neeson as Mills are the definition of badass. It's cool that Denzel in this film is similar to his character in 'Equalizer' - helping the little girl with her swimming and his co-worker to pass his security guard exam before we find out Denzel is an unstoppable killing machine in the 2nd half of both films. When he attacks the police convoy with a missile launcher and puts an explosive device in
    the police chief's arse
    , I literally pump my fists in the air at Denzel's epicness.

As for Neeson in 'Taken', I still remember seeing the film at the cinema on opening day. When we see Neeson take down his first bad guy at the concert, I knew we were in for some more legendary stuff later, but I was not prepared for how gruesome Neeson would be. Tearing down a construction site, killing about 20 people in a few minutes only to top it off with a violent electric torture, and then going Rambo on the boat at the end... Neeson quickly became one of my favorite action heroes with this film.
    Apollo 13 (1995)

Good space movie. Pretty good performances all around, but Ed Harris stole the show.

Akira (1988)

A brilliant example of style over substance. Not a fan of this one.

The Quiet Earth (1985)

Cool at times, but overall a bit boring.

Wreck it Ralph (2012)

Quite fun, but lost a bit of steam after they went to that candyland place. The race was good though.

La Jetée (1962)

The movie who inspired 12 Monkeys (1995), i thought it was OK. Not really suprised as im not a big fan of 12 Monkeys either.

The Long Good Friday (1980)

Some pretty good scenes, but overall it didn't get me that engaged.

Margin Call (2011)

Wasn't sure if i would watch this one or not, then i heard someone talk about it over here. It was good, but nothing special.

Ugetsu monogatari (1953)

Decided to give this one a chance as it is regarded as one of the best movies of all time. And it bored me.

Au hasard Balthazar (1966)

Another highly acclaimed movie. This one i liked much better.

C'est arrivé près de chez vous (1992)

A very controversial movie, some will hate it and others will love it. I found it quite fun and different from other movies.

Blow Out (1981)

Quite engaging and suspenseful. Also very funny at times (scream) and i really liked the score aswell. Not on the level of movies like The Conversation (1974), but still pretty good.
    Another double feature of some of my favorite films: Layer Cake and Collateral.

I have loved Layer Cake since buying the DVD the following day Craig was announced as James Bond. Tremendous directing by Vaughn, a killer soundtrack and electric performances from the entire cast, in particular Craig. The film flies by at a rapid pace, it's just an endless succession of fantastic scenes.

As for Collateral, I still remember having my pants knocked down the first time I saw it. It's probably my favorite role for Tom Cruise. He is simply ruthless as Vincent, with special mentions to 'That's my briefcase?' scene and the nightclub shootout. Electric soundtrack and atmosphere all thanks to Michael Mann's excellent style of movie making.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I had a Ginger Rogers double bill. First up was...

Swing Time (1937)
    My favourite Ginger film, and also my favourite Fred & Ginger film.

Followed by...

Monkey Business (1952)
    Even when faced with the younger Monroe, Ginger still had that unmistakable twinkle in her eyes. While other films showcased Ginger's singing, dancing and/or acting capabilities, I think that this film best showcases her comedic skills. Ginger rolls up her sleeves, and gets stuck in. Grant is a hoot as well, when he crawls under the table, and refuses to come out.